Blowout Cards Forums
Retail Rummage

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2013, 09:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Milbury rants on Ovechkin

Good stuff!

Watch Mike Milbury?s epic Alex Ovechkin trashing: ?Act like a man, for god?s sake? | Puck Daddy - Yahoo! Sports
pnft17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

Not an Ovechkin fan, but I can't stand when Milbury does this crap.
#1 Collection : Barrasso
#2 Collection : Ron Hextall
Other : Crosby, Wregget, Malkin
NEED RON HEXTALL SPGU LETTER MARKS!!!
ncm7772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncm7772 View Post
Not an Ovechkin fan, but I can't stand when Milbury does this crap.
He does have a point in this case. I have heard this kind of stuff about Ovie for a few years.
BoxBreaker72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:57 AM   #4 (permalink)

Ovie still top 5 in my books idc what anyone says, guy is a pure goal scorer, kind of hard to do it all on your own. He doesn't have a Malkin and that's why you can only blame the Capitals organization.
RBKSNIPZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:38 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxBreaker72 View Post
He does have a point in this case. I have heard this kind of stuff about Ovie for a few years.
I'm not saying I don't agree with Milbury on some of these. Yes, some of what he said is true. But I personally just don't think the belittling of one of the league's most known players is good for the league.
#1 Collection : Barrasso
#2 Collection : Ron Hextall
Other : Crosby, Wregget, Malkin
NEED RON HEXTALL SPGU LETTER MARKS!!!
ncm7772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncm7772 View Post
I'm not saying I don't agree with Milbury on some of these. Yes, some of what he said is true. But I personally just don't think the belittling of one of the league's most known players is good for the league.
I agree with what you are saying but Ovie really needs to step his game up. He really has not been playing well. I went to a few practices this year so far and alot of people (not just fans) are saying it may be good if Ovie gets traded for a change of scenery. Look what happened to Semin this year. He goes to Carolina and is playing well. He has had alot on his shoulders since he started his career in Washington and the Caps have not been able to finish the big games.
crabbygraphs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

The only good thing Milbury ever did was climb into the stands at Madison Square Garden and beat a fan with his own shoe. He should shut up and leave that as his legacy.
I pull scrubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

Honest questions here after talking with my friends, any help would be appreciated

1.) How is this good for the game of hockey?

2.) Bashing big name players and promoting a "boring" style of hockey doesn't make any sense to me at all. I understand that it is agreed upon that defense wins in the playoffs but if a team or player thrives on offensive/exciting plays, why would the "experts" turn potential fans away from that?

Our discussion led to trying to find a similar situation where a player is deemed a liability for producing good offensive numbers. A "DH" in baseball that is great at hitting home runs was the only thing we could think of because they dont help you in the field and will cost alot of money for only playing in a portion of the game.
big city goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

I enjoy the guy. And how is what he is saying bad for hockey? Like, a greed ridden lockout for half the year is better? Everybody knows Ovechkin is sucking bad this year he's just telling it like it is.
ZappBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:25 AM   #10 (permalink)

I view it as ovie being a very recognizable asset to the league. So why does milbury need to find clips of him playing poor hockey every chance he gets when he has just as many flashy clips of him that will draw in positive attention, such as his hat trick the game before. Milbury has been doing this to ovie since he came into the league and it doesn't help the NHL grow at all to trash a popular athlete. It is quiet obvious that ovech doesn't seem to have what it takes to win in the playoffs but why not let him be a star and draw in more fans? If he is trying to help educate young fans on how to play the game then why not show off some great plays that the flyers were making. Him going after ovie just doesn't seem to beneficial to anyone. Thanks for your answer, I'm just trying to grasp why milbury was so negative in his analysis.
big city goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:11 AM   #11 (permalink)

Not to mention Ovie was on a line with Jay Beagle and Joey Crabb for the first dozen games this year - no offense to those guys, but maybe Milbury should question Adam Oates strategy and how it benefits Alex's play. I credit Ovechkin for not bitching about it - his play has not been the same since he was named captain - Brooks Laich should be captain of this team. I'm still holding out hope the Caps can turn it around and Ovie goes back to being an elite scorer - it only helps the league. But the media, in general, loves to focus on the negative, especially when it involves players not born in Canada or the US. Sad, but true.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:18 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by I pull scrubs View Post
Not to mention Ovie was on a line with Jay Beagle and Joey Crabb for the first dozen games this year - no offense to those guys, but maybe Milbury should question Adam Oates strategy and how it benefits Alex's play. I credit Ovechkin for not bitching about it - his play has not been the same since he was named captain - Brooks Laich should be captain of this team. I'm still holding out hope the Caps can turn it around and Ovie goes back to being an elite scorer - it only helps the league. But the media, in general, loves to focus on the negative, especially when it involves players not born in Canada or the US. Sad, but true.
So it's Oates and media fault Ovie plays like a dog and is stealing big money from the Caps. Backstrom too, he floats around just as bad. Pretty bad when your star big money players don't care.
pnft17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:06 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnft17 View Post
So it's Oates and media fault Ovie plays like a dog and is stealing big money from the Caps. Backstrom too, he floats around just as bad. Pretty bad when your star big money players don't care.
I guess you don't understand my point. If he was playing on a scoring line instead of a checking line, he would be a little more inspired. Just because Milbury finds a couple highlights of him lollygagging around the ice doesn't make it the norm - funny they didn't show anything from the game before when he had a hat trick and was all over the ice. You can buy into media speak all you want and yeah, maybe he is the NHL's Randy Moss. Milbury just wants to focus on the negative part of it and not the whole picture. Just because he is on TV, doesn't make him right all the time. Haters hate!