Blowout Cards Forums

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2013, 10:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Shipping to Canada

I have a buyer from Canada who is refusing to pay the price for shipping. USPS says it costs $19.95 to ship a padded envelope to Canada, so that's what I was charging him.

Is there some cheaper way to ship?
MollyEcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

Yeah, go to the post office instead of using PayPal shipping, it will only cost you 7-10$.
RBKSNIPZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

$6.16 it cost for a 1-2 oz package/envelope shipped usps first class international on pp. Just mailed out 3-4 packages to Canada last week.
ryanvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanvas View Post
$6.16 it cost for a 1-2 oz package/envelope shipped usps first class international on pp. Just mailed out 3-4 packages to Canada last week.

Really, every time I try to ship to Canada it only gives me options for priority and express which s 20$ and 30$
Old 04-21-2013, 10:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

I wonder why $6.16 is not showing up for me?
Old 04-21-2013, 10:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBKSNIPZ View Post
Yeah, go to the post office instead of using PayPal shipping, it will only cost you 7-10$.
I went to USPS.com

$19.95 and $28.95 were my only two choices.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyEcho View Post
I went to USPS.com

$19.95 and $28.95 were my only two choices.

I meant the actual post office. That's wherei go whenever I have to ship to Canada.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

I found an option for $6.55, that's the cheapest the website has, so maybe if I go to the post office they will give me a better idea of the price.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:06 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
I found an option for $6.55, that's the cheapest the website has, so maybe if I go to the post office they will give me a better idea of the price.

Where did you find it?
Old 04-21-2013, 11:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

The $6.55 was on USPS, not Paypal.

Maybe the reason I'm getting higher prices is because I'm shipping from Tennessee.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:11 AM   #11 (permalink)

Now this guy is just pissing me off. I told him the cheapest I could do was $6.55. His response..

"I'm hoping that you can send it even cheaper, charge me the $6.55 and at least make a couple of dollars for yourself."

So I e-mailed him back and told him that I ship my cards in a bubble lined envelope and if he wants me to send it in a plain white envelope that I can do that, that it will probably be cheaper.

I think I'm done shipping to Canada, haha.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:27 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Now this guy is just pissing me off. I told him the cheapest I could do was $6.55. His response..

"I'm hoping that you can send it even cheaper, charge me the $6.55 and at least make a couple of dollars for yourself."

So I e-mailed him back and told him that I ship my cards in a bubble lined envelope and if he wants me to send it in a plain white envelope that I can do that, that it will probably be cheaper.

I think I'm done shipping to Canada, haha.

I stopped a couple months ago. I suggest you cancel the deal with that douche and just move on.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:14 AM   #13 (permalink)

He said a plain envelope was fine, but he still wants me to make a couple of dollars off the shipping, so he will pay the $6.55, haha.

I'm just going to send it in the bubble mailer and charge him $6.55. I don't feel comfortable mailing a Young Guns Eric Staal in a plain envelope.

Thanks for your help, for those who replied.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:14 AM   #14 (permalink)

He said a plain envelope was fine, but he still wants me to make a couple of dollars off the shipping, so he will pay the $6.55, haha.

I'm just going to send it in the bubble mailer and charge him $6.55. I don't feel comfortable mailing a Young Guns Eric Staal in a plain envelope.

Thanks for your help, for those who replied.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:26 AM   #15 (permalink)

Be careful with the complaining this guy did, he might be one of those people from Canada who say "I never got the card" and your screwed because of no tracking number.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:13 AM   #16 (permalink)

Yeah, I'm definitely getting a tracking number for him (I always do anyway). I also thought if I send it in a PWE, is he going to claim it got damaged?
Old 04-22-2013, 10:37 AM   #17 (permalink)

Just as US sellers are frustrated with Canadians buyers, I am frustrated with US shipping to Canada as a buyer. I realize that USPS increased rates but some sellers will only sell with tracking/confirmation and it is not feasible for Canadians other than high-end deals.

Another issue I am having is on eBay - I bought two PSA slabs costing me like $70 bucks and the guy wants to charge me $22.75. I realize that he had this outlined in his description but he also had $6.95 for $50 and under purchases and it is my fault for not reading the total description but I'm sorry, $22.75 for 2 PSA slabs is robbery!

I don't understand why US sellers cannot send low-end items (less than $20) with 2 international stamps on a bubble mailer. That's what I do, it costs me $2.53 total. No problems.

Incoming -
Outgoing -
DetectiveChrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:27 AM   #18 (permalink)

I got ripped off twice in a two week span by Canadian buyers who "didn't receive" their cards. The International first-class mail with delivery confirmation is a myth - half of the packages I sent didn't get scanned when they were delivered (half did), but the buyers left me feedback so I knew they were delivered. I called the USPS customer service line to complain and they said there is no international delivery confirmation for first class mail. I told them, well, Ebay offers it, and they basically said that's Ebay's problem and the post office (here and in Canada) is under no obligation to scan first class mail.

So next I figured I'd use Ebay's global shipping program (GSP). Well...every single day I would get at least one e-mail from a potential Canadian buyer that my shipping costs were "insane." I told them they weren't my shipping costs, that Ebay calculates the import charges and the international shipping costs and the buyer pays those directly to Ebay - I don't see a dime of that portion of the sale. So eventually I just stopped shipping to Canada. Bottom line, it's more aggravation than it's worth.

To DetectiveChrome - the $22.75 for international shipping is close to the actual cost to get delivery confirmation. There are some Canadian buyers who make a living off of claiming non-receipt of cards, and then get the refund and the cards. Those buyers are ruining it for the good buyers, because a lot of sellers won't ship internationally without DC and DC is expensive to Canada.
rippit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:31 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetectiveChrome View Post
I don't understand why US sellers cannot send low-end items (less than $20) with 2 international stamps on a bubble mailer. That's what I do, it costs me $2.53 total. No problems.
It depends on what USPS employee you get - some will let you do that, some won't. It sucks for the buyer and the seller. It's getting close to the point where cards pulled in the US will stay in the US and cards pulled in Canada will stay in Canada.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:34 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippit View Post
It depends on what USPS employee you get - some will let you do that, some won't. It sucks for the buyer and the seller. It's getting close to the point where cards pulled in the US will stay in the US and cards pulled in Canada will stay in Canada.
I just stick the mailer in a mailbox, I don't even go to the office.

Incoming -
Outgoing -
Old 04-22-2013, 11:37 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippit View Post
I got ripped off twice in a two week span by Canadian buyers who "didn't receive" their cards. The International first-class mail with delivery confirmation is a myth - half of the packages I sent didn't get scanned when they were delivered (half did), but the buyers left me feedback so I knew they were delivered. I called the USPS customer service line to complain and they said there is no international delivery confirmation for first class mail. I told them, well, Ebay offers it, and they basically said that's Ebay's problem and the post office (here and in Canada) is under no obligation to scan first class mail.

So next I figured I'd use Ebay's global shipping program (GSP). Well...every single day I would get at least one e-mail from a potential Canadian buyer that my shipping costs were "insane." I told them they weren't my shipping costs, that Ebay calculates the import charges and the international shipping costs and the buyer pays those directly to Ebay - I don't see a dime of that portion of the sale. So eventually I just stopped shipping to Canada. Bottom line, it's more aggravation than it's worth.

To DetectiveChrome - the $22.75 for international shipping is close to the actual cost to get delivery confirmation. There are some Canadian buyers who make a living off of claiming non-receipt of cards, and then get the refund and the cards. Those buyers are ruining it for the good buyers, because a lot of sellers won't ship internationally without DC and DC is expensive to Canada.
I do agree that some Canadian buyers are ruining it for the rest of us and scamming the system. I don't scam the system, never have, so I feel as if I should be treated differenty - basically I won't pay for shipping with DC unless it's a high end deal.

I don't blame you guys though, it is for your own protection.

But for a $5-10 card for someone with 100% feedback here on the boards, it's a bit extreme, no?

Incoming -
Outgoing -
Old 04-22-2013, 11:41 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
I just stick the mailer in a mailbox, I don't even go to the office.
But you're dealing with Canada Post, not the USPS - different rules. This is from the USPS web site as far as the requirements for something to be sent at letter rates (I bolded the parts that could cause problems):

Dimension Minimum Maximum
Height 3-1/2 inches 6-1/8 inches
Length 5 inches 11-1/2 inches
Thickness 0.007 inch 1/4 inch

Any item smaller than the minimum dimensions is not mailable.
For larger items, see large envelopes or packages.
For envelopes, length is the dimension parallel to the address.

For letter-sized items over 3.5 ounces, large envelope prices will be applied.

Letters that meet one or more of the nonmachinable characteristics below are subject to the nonmachinable surcharge.

It is a square letter
It is too rigid does not bend easily
It has clasps, string, buttons, or similar closure devices
It has an address parallel to the shorter dimension of the letter
It contains items such as pens that cause the surface to be uneven
The length divided by height is less than 1.3 or more than 2.5
Old 04-22-2013, 11:42 AM   #23 (permalink)

has anyone here tried to use the new global shipping program on ebay? you only pay to ship to the 3rd party who then does the shipping and insurance, etc elsewhere. the buyer pays upfront whatever the cost is for the 3rd party to ship. If people are showing success I don't see any reason why I wouldn't open up my items to other parts of the world. I only ship USA because of all the global issues out there.
http://sportscardalbum.com/u/cactuspies
RIP Mom 10/8/09, PAPAJIM 11/22/10
Cactuspies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:44 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactuspies View Post
has anyone here tried to use the new global shipping program on ebay? you only pay to ship to the 3rd party who then does the shipping and insurance, etc elsewhere. the buyer pays upfront whatever the cost is for the 3rd party to ship. If people are showing success I don't see any reason why I wouldn't open up my items to other parts of the world. I only ship USA because of all the global issues out there.
See post #18.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:46 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
I do agree that some Canadian buyers are ruining it for the rest of us and scamming the system. I don't scam the system, never have, so I feel as if I should be treated differenty - basically I won't pay for shipping with DC unless it's a high end deal.

I don't blame you guys though, it is for your own protection.

But for a $5-10 card for someone with 100% feedback here on the boards, it's a bit extreme, no?
I see both sides of this one - the only bad guy is the USPS. I don't blame the sellers for not shipping without DC and I don't blame the buyers for not wanting to pay the shipping costs (which really are insane).