Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 12:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Question about selling redemption codes on Ebay

I decided to re-post this with a different title because I think a lot of people looked at the title and thought I was trying to sell redemption codes in this thread.

I just pulled a Rookie Redemption card out of a box of 2012-13 Upper Deck. I was planning on listing it on Ebay as a sale for the code only - that way it would be open to Canadian buyers because I wouldn't have to worry about shipping it with registered mail.

So now, let's suppose someone buys the card on Ebay and pays with PayPal. I send them the code via Ebay messages, they redeem it, everyone is happy. Now, let's suppose that buyer files an item not received claim. I didn't ship them anything, so I obviously don't have any proof of delivery.

My question is, am I covered by Ebay and PayPal because I have the Ebay message showing that I sent the code to the buyer, or am I hosed? Has anyone had this experience with a buyer?
rippit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

I believe you wouldn't be covered.
RBKSNIPZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

I had this convo with Rippit....I have Bought Alot of redemption cards from My fellow Americans Across the Border..I Buy the Card Ask for the Code which Saves Shipping Costs and Shortens the time i have to recieve and redeem the card...At the same time I leave Positive feedback Immediatly after the Auction if Seller Agrees to Send the code Via messege..Then He Sends me the code...from what i heard as long as i leave Pos feedback im agreeing i have Accepted the terms of the sale and have recieved My Package...The Seller Then marks as Shipped
holt49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

If you buy/sell with respectful people you should be fine, as a seller you are assuming the risk, so here's what you should do:

1) Redemption codes will only be sent via eBay's messages, not private emails for an electronic paper trail to bidders with 25+ (you pick the number you're most comfortable with) feedback and no negative comment (remember, buyer's don't get negatives, but most certainly sellers can place "negative as positive category" comments.

2) The code will only be sent once Pay Pal payment is made. Also give the website to redeem, as some may assume Topps, then enter a Panini card code and feel swindled when it was a user end error.

3) Upon redemption of the code (validating it's redeemable), the buyer will post positive feedback confirming the transaction was completed

4) The seller (you) are not responsible for the redemption side of what the company (be it Topps, Upper Deck, Panini, etc.) does in terms of delays of shipping or replacements since that's not within your control.

5) Upon receipt of the positive feedback from the buyer, the seller will place positive feedback to the buyer to confirm the same, satisfactory completion of the transaction.

6) Seller will mark as payment received and product shipped.

Then, if ever disputed, you have a paper trail, and if need be if worth while, I'm pretty sure you can confirm the code you have with the card company to who and where it was redeemed by/with (fulfillment address) if it ever got to that point of fraud.

As a buyer, who may deal with sellers who offer codes and sells expired or already redeemed codes, it's quite easy to protect yourself by simply disputing the transaction. Even if an evil seller sends you an empty envelope with a delivery confirmation or an envelope with an expired redemption card, eBay is all about buyer protection, so in 90% of cases, it's the seller who gets screwed by fraud than it is the buyer, since the buyer is usually able to at least not have economic damage (sure they may not get the card they thought they won and wanted, but at the end of the day if refunded, it cost them nothing but missed opportunity)
Stat Monsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

I always tell the foreigner to leave feedback first, so then I can use that as evidence against them when they file their claim. Something like "I received code. It works. Great transaction. Thank you."
Old 07-26-2013, 03:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

Regardless of what feedback is left or how code is sent (via ebay messaging), if they file, you lose. There is no coverage for electronic delivery of goods such as this.

Darren
dahabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote