Blowout Cards Forums
2014 holiday shipping promo

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2013, 12:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default 22 straight years

The Detroit "Hockeytown" Red Wings won 4 straight to get the 7th spot in the West! 22nd straight playoff berth. And they match up real well against the Ducks and are playing their best hockey now. Watch out NHL!
nuccionino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:00 AM   #2 (permalink)

yeah ummm...'the NHL' says its not really too worried
duwal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by duwal View Post
yeah ummm...'the NHL' says its not really too worried
That's true. The Ducks are though!
Old 05-01-2013, 11:55 AM   #4 (permalink)

As a lifelong Wings fan, I have to say that this team (aside from Howard, who played well last night) is not only heading for a quick exit from the playoffs, it is trending toward the Dead Things of yore. Nill bailed from a sinking ship. Ilitch has been absorbed with the Tigers. Holland has had his hands tied with some bad contracts (cough-Franzen-cough), and I think Babcock's act has finally worn thin. I hope that they are encouraged to blow things up and start over after this season ends.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairysasquatch View Post
As a lifelong Wings fan, I have to say that this team (aside from Howard, who played well last night) is not only heading for a quick exit from the playoffs, it is trending toward the Dead Things of yore. Nill bailed from a sinking ship. Ilitch has been absorbed with the Tigers. Holland has had his hands tied with some bad contracts (cough-Franzen-cough), and I think Babcock's act has finally worn thin. I hope that they are encouraged to blow things up and start over after this season ends.
They ran into Hiller who, for some reason, played well tonight. I was surprised they started him. I cannot believe how many people are freaking out over one game. The goal is to split the first town on the road. They win tomorrow then there is no issue. They played well enough to win, did better 5 on 5, just need to be better in special teams. They matchup so well against Anaheim, they should beat them.

As for trending down, people have been saying that since the 2005 lockout. They have won a cup, and made a game 7 of another final since that lockout in 2005. They had the most man games lost this season of any team, they had no time to get the D and special teams down pat (both are new). There is a reason the Wings have gotten better in both areas throughout the season, they have time to gel. The lockout hurt them then anyone. Also not have Helm, arguably one of their 5 most important players, was a factor.

As for bad contracts, yea the Franzen one stinks, and the trade for Quincey was a waste. But the Dekeyser signing was awesome. This team is going to the East (where they play better). They will be in the top 4 next season. To freak out over one half season is ridiculous. They have a D core that is real good top to bottom, and still can role 4 lines. You can argue they have better players top to bottom then Anaheim. This was the one season I was worried about, they made it, and they look good. They need to get younger (which they are), but this team will be a force for years to come still.

Wings will win this series in 6, because they are just matched up better.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Well, they have the money to buy out if they decide to go that route. I hate the Wings, but they've been one of the model organizations in professional sports for the last two decades. Nothing lasts forever, though - you can't just replace a Lidstrom. Zetterberg is clearly on the down side of his career, and if Datsyuk decides to go back to Russia...well, the Dead Things prediction looks pretty accurate.
rippit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippit View Post
Well, they have the money to buy out if they decide to go that route. I hate the Wings, but they've been one of the model organizations in professional sports for the last two decades. Nothing lasts forever, though - you can't just replace a Lidstrom. Zetterberg is clearly on the down side of his career, and if Datsyuk decides to go back to Russia...well, the Dead Things prediction looks pretty accurate.
I hate the Penguins but this guy understands where I was going with my comments. We'll see. I'd love to be proven wrong in a certain way, but realistically this team is a shell of its former self and will not be competitive in terms of sniffing the Cup for some time barring radical changes. Utterly no physical presence outside of Kronwall and maybe Abdelkader - the rest are finesse guys who are simply getting pushed around. BTW there is a difference between ZOMG! FREAKING OUT and sober reckoning with reality.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Hit a nerve? Never said you were freaking out, just people in general. If the Wings won last night my thread never would have been responded to. No one should go 5 years without making the playoffs. Not during this era. All I'm saying is they have been going downhill since 2005. Yet they won a cup since 2005 and was a Brad Stuart giveaway from another. They have gone younger. This is the youngest they have been in a while. They are a finesse team who is physical. They surprise people with how physical they play. They are a young and good D core. They were 5th in defense this year with a bunch of 30 and younger Dmen. I'm hoping they can get a young offensive player but there's a reason they have done so well in 22 years. The draft. No one is as good as the Wings at building players. Howard, Nyquist, Smith, Kindl all have said the way they were brought up through GR helped a ton. Datsyuk isn't going to Russia. Zetterberg is still a great player. Youd hope in the 4-5 years we have them, we find younger offensive stars. I'm confident in the best GM in hockey to get it done.

Last edited by nuccionino; 05-01-2013 at 07:39 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Lidstrom has been replaced, by consistency top to bottom. Zetterberg isn't clearly on the down side. Age wise says he is, he is still a top two-way forward. Datsyuk isn't going to Russia. So 3 players make or break a team? Without those three, they will make 1 playoff every 8 years? No. Everyone who knows hockey knows how important a team is. Superstars are nice and help, but you need a team.

Look at our the players on the current roster the Wings drafted and how many were in the 1st? Why can't they continue this?

Forwards
Abdelkader - 2nd round
Andersson - 3rd round
Brunner - We signed from Europe
Datsyuk - 6th round
Emmerton - 2nd round
Fillppula - 3rd round
Franzen - 3rd round
Helm - 5th round
Nyquist - 4th round
Zetterberg - 7th round

So 10 Forwards we drafted basically and never let go. NONE in the first round. Our best 3 were our 3 latest picks

D-men
Dekeyser - We signed
Ericsson - 7th round
Kindl - 1st round (OMG a 1st rounder!)
Kronwall - 1st round (OMG 2?)
Smith - 1st round (OMG 3?!)

5 defensemen, all under 30 beside Kronwall, drafted by the Wings. 3 were late 1st round picks. Kindl has been a + machine since being on the Wings. Dekeyser looks to be the steal of signings. Ericsson plays defensive very well. Smith is young, and has shown it.

Goalie, Howard 2nd round

They build from within, with late picks. They don't suck for 5 years like Pittsburgh and get 1st and 2nd overall picks (no offense Pittsburgh, just facts). They build from drafting, and going through the system better then ANY team in the NHL. Moving to the East will help the Wings, they are better there. We all know the game is about matchups, Wings to the East was the best thing this team has had happen to them in a while.

Is the offense struggling? Yes. Should Franzen step it up? Heck yes, I have wanted him traded for a while. Will they need a signing/draft pick to show up like Datsyuk/Zetterberg has in the past 8-10 years? Yep. But if they don't, they still will at worse be battling for the playoffs every year. You win with defense and goalie. The Wings have both for the next 10 years.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:31 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuccionino View Post
Lidstrom has been replaced, by consistency top to bottom. Zetterberg isn't clearly on the down side. Age wise says he is, he is still a top two-way forward. Datsyuk isn't going to Russia. So 3 players make or break a team?
Riiiiiight - take Malkin, Crosby and Letang off the Pens and they'd be the same team. Take Kane, Toews and Hossa off the Blackhawks and they'd be the same team. Take Chara, Bergeron and Marchand off the Bruins. Should I go on? That statement is so idiotic it's beyond belief. Yes, 3 players DO make or break a team if the players are important enough.

If the goal in Detroit is to simply make the playoffs, then you've already proven the point.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:40 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Riiiiiight - take Malkin, Crosby and Letang off the Pens and they'd be the same team. Take Kane, Toews and Hossa off the Blackhawks and they'd be the same team. Take Chara, Bergeron and Marchand off the Bruins. Should I go on? That statement is so idiotic it's beyond belief. Yes, 3 players DO make or break a team if the players are important enough.

If the goal in Detroit is to simply make the playoffs, then you've already proven the point.
I only read a portion of his rambling post, and really not sure if he's just trying to justify why they atually got into the playoffs this season.

Yes we get it, 22 straight that's great but if you don't win 16 games who really cares?

2/3 of NHL teams make the playoffs! I think Nuccionino drank too many dunkachino's. lay off the caffenine dude.

Last edited by TASS; 05-02-2013 at 12:44 AM.
TASS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:06 AM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:

But you can still make the playoffs. You are saying they can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TASS View Post
I only read a portion of his rambling post, and really not sure if he's just trying to justify why they atually got into the playoffs this season.

Yes we get it, 22 straight that's great but if you don't win 16 games who really cares?

2/3 of NHL teams make the playoffs! I think Nuccionino drank too many dunkachino's. lay off the caffenine dude.
Rambling facts. And thanks for making my point. It's easy to make the playoffs. Thats why no team should have a dead period. I'm making a point that this team will be contenders as life goes on.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:36 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:

Rambling facts. And thanks for making my point. It's easy to make the playoffs. Thats why no team should have a dead period. I'm making a point that this team will be contenders as life goes on.
Show me where I say any of those teams, including the Red Wings, wouldn't make the playoffs.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:57 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:

"They still will at worse be battling for the playoffs every year", I don't think you even know what point your trying to make, is it easy to battle or make the playoffs every year?

And any hockey fan with half a brain knows just about every team makes the playoffs, hell the Leafs got in this year!
Old 05-02-2013, 12:07 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Quote:
Show me where I say any of those teams, including the Red Wings, wouldn't make the playoffs.
You said Lidstrom gone, Zetterberg is CLEARLY on the down side, Datsyuk leaves means dead wings are accurate. Which translates too 1 playoff berth per 7 years or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TASS View Post
"They still will at worse be battling for the playoffs every year", I don't think you even know what point your trying to make, is it easy to battle or make the playoffs every year?

And any hockey fan with half a brain knows just about every team makes the playoffs, hell the Leafs got in this year!
Do you even know why you are in this thread? This thread basically goes unanswered then the Wings lose and a Wings fan starts to doubt this team and direction. I had to bring up reasons to step back and just relax. With the team right now, they will make the playoffs every year. Without the top 3 players, they would still be battling to make the playoffs. That's the difference. I'm not debating how easy it is to make the playoffs, it is, just saying the Dead Wings era is gone.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:13 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
You said Lidstrom gone, Zetterberg is CLEARLY on the down side, Datsyuk leaves means dead wings are accurate. Which translates too 1 playoff berth per 7 years or so.
Oh, I see - we're playing the BO forums word twisting game, where you can interpret what I say to mean anything that you think will prove your point. Got it.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:15 PM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Oh, I see - we're playing the BO forums word twisting game, where you can interpret what I say to mean anything that you think will prove your point. Got it.
And we are playing the game where you have nothing more to say, so you gotta spew nonsense. When you called it the dead things (it's called wings), you interpret the Wings will go on streaks of NOT making the playoffs.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:23 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
And we are playing the game where you have nothing more to say, so you gotta spew nonsense. When you called it the dead things (it's called wings), you interpret the Wings will go on streaks of NOT making the playoffs.
You're right, I don't have anything to say because I've already proven my point. I'm glad you're a mind reader now and you can tell ME what I meant when I said Dead Things. Go ahead and keep ranting - you just keep making yourself look worse.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:27 PM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
You're right, I don't have anything to say because I've already proven my point. I'm glad you're a mind reader now and you can tell ME what I meant when I said Dead Things. Go ahead and keep ranting - you just keep making yourself look worse.
Why are you so upset? Making myself look worse? Proven what point? That IF things happen these teams at worse? Obviously. No one is debating that. Also, when you say Dead Things it seem to be in response to the other dude who clearly was mentioning the Dead Wings. So clear this up for me, what did you mean by saying the dead things?
Old 05-02-2013, 12:35 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Why are you so upset? Making myself look worse? Proven what point? That IF things happen these teams at worse? Obviously. No one is debating that. Also, when you say Dead Things it seem to be in response to the other dude who clearly was mentioning the Dead Wings. So clear this up for me, what did you mean by saying the dead things?
Classes over for the semester? Maybe try some studying?
Old 05-02-2013, 12:38 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
First of all, Sasquatch said Dead Things, not me - I just used his term in my response.

What I meant by it was that the glory days are over for the foreseeable future - no serious Cup contention and scrambling to make the playoffs every year, and making it as a 6/7/8 seed when they do. I don't mean they'll stink, I mean that they'll be average. Compared to where they've been, that's a big dropoff.

And about Zetterberg being on the downside, same thing - I'm not saying he stinks. He's still a good player. But he's 32, he's played a lot of hard hockey, and he's not going to be scoring 80 or 90 points a year any more.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:42 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
I've been hearing this throughout the 2000's then again in the last few years.

To keep it short, 22 years - kudos to the scouting department and strong coaching stafff. 4 Cups in that span, more than any other franchise. I can firmly say we have been the best club during that span.

I'll also add for you Pens fans that in 2009, Brad Stuart gifted wrapped the Cup for you guys. Talbot 2 goals, all on Stuart giveaways (one was tape to tape behind the net). In the years 2008, 2009, Crosby got shut down by Datsyuk, the best 2 way player in the game at the time. Franzen even knocked him out of the game. He didn't even deserve to say he beat the Wings in 09.

I'm not knocking Crosby's abilities, he is the best player in the league, but at that time he had to look up to Datysuk.

Incoming -
Outgoing -
DetectiveChrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:44 PM   #23 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Classes over for the semester? Maybe try some studying?
So you resort to being a douche? Very classy. You make yourself look bad when instead of having a nice debate, you resort to being a child.

Quote:
First of all, Sasquatch said Dead Things, not me - I just used his term in my response.

What I meant by it was that the glory days are over for the foreseeable future - no serious Cup contention and scrambling to make the playoffs every year, and making it as a 6/7/8 seed when they do. I don't mean they'll stink, I mean that they'll be average. Compared to where they've been, that's a big dropoff.

And about Zetterberg being on the downside, same thing - I'm not saying he stinks. He's still a good player. But he's 32, he's played a lot of hard hockey, and he's not going to be scoring 80 or 90 points a year any more.
Thanks for clearing it up, I just assumed you were going by his words which you could tell he meant Dead Wings. I disagree with Cup contention, because it is all about who they play. They were suppose to lose against SJ and Nashville in the playoffs, they didn't matchup well. I will say right here, they will finish in the top 4 next year. No way they shouldn't.

As for Zetterberg, your statement is off because 80-90 points is about 1 PPG. He had 48 points in 46 games played. In a full season he would of been in the 80-90 range. 32 years old is still young in hockey, it is crazy how long these players can play in this tough sport. He is still in his prime (albeit end of it).
Old 05-02-2013, 12:47 PM   #24 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetectiveChrome View Post
I've been hearing this throughout the 2000's then again in the last few years.

To keep it short, 22 years - kudos to the scouting department and strong coaching stafff. 4 Cups in that span, more than any other franchise. I can firmly say we have been the best club during that span.

I'll also add for you Pens fans that in 2009, Brad Stuart gifted wrapped the Cup for you guys. Talbot 2 goals, all on Stuart giveaways (one was tape to tape behind the net). In the years 2008, 2009, Crosby got shut down by Datsyuk, the best 2 way player in the game at the time. Franzen even knocked him out of the game. He didn't even deserve to say he beat the Wings in 09.

I'm not knocking Crosby's abilities, he is the best player in the league, but at that time he had to look up to Datysuk.
YES! Haha. When he left, Michigan cheered. I'll never forget how dumb he played that game. Oh let's just randomly pinch for no reason. Oh let's just pass it to Talbot. Detroit gave away the series. Clearly blocked a goal, which would have probably ended the series in game 6. Pittsburgh also got a 50 second 6 on 5 for no reason haha. Oh well, it was a toss up series and Pittsburgh took advantage. Datsyuk is still the best two way player in the game btw.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:49 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:

As for Zetterberg, your statement is off because 80-90 points is about 1 PPG. He had 48 points in 46 games played. In a full season he would of been in the 80-90 range. 32 years old is still young in hockey, it is crazy how long these players can play in this tough sport. He is still in his prime (albeit end of it).
Time will tell. And it's not the age, it's the mileage. He's what I'd call an old 32 - a lot of tough playoff miles on those tires. Averaging a point a game over 48 games it different than doing it over an 82 game grind. If he even plays a full season without getting injured, which in itself would surprise me.