Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2013, 10:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Cup Redemption Replacement - Fair deal??

So i received a Fedex package yesterday for the 5 Brodeur Cup cards I redeemed, but was told they were lost by Brodeur's agent, so after providing some guidance to UD as to what i would like to receive in return, i was pretty excited to see what I was getting in return...

I told them I was a super-collector of The Cup and they could tell by the number of high end redemption cards in my account.

I had redeemed four Brodeur Emblems of Endorsement 11-12 /15 and the Triple Enshrinements Brodeur, Price, Roy /10. I also bought a Drew Doughty Cup Foundations Patch Auto /5 redemption a few months ago to complete my set. I learned at the same time that the card will not be produced and also received something else in exchange.

Before telling you if I think it was a fair deal or not, i will let you judge by yourself and then you can see my position. would like your feedback on this! would be much appreciated.

to also put in context, given all the cards redeemed are for the new set of The Cup (11-12), the price they typically sell on the market are often higher than previous years of the same product, all else being equal. people are typicallct is new, want to complete existing sets, etc...

so here is what i got in return:

So I received 7 cards for the 6 cards I redeemed.

What do you think?
for me, i think this is an unfair trade, but wanted to get some views...

here is my rationale:

the triple enshrinement I received probably compensate for the Triple Enshrinement I redeemed, although I think the one i redeemed would probably be worth a bit more, but whatever.

for what it's worth, i paid about $225 a piece for each of the Brodeur.

I would see the Gretzly Stanley Cup Signatures as a fair trade for one of the Brodeur EoE - they sell for about $200 on ebay. again, fair, but not in my favor.

then, i think the Yzerman Emblems of Endorsement 10-11 is also fair replacement for another one of the Brodeur EOE. could tell this one is in my favor

then, I am left with a Malkin Cup Foundations /15 that is selling for about $80, a Crosby Enshrinement 10-11 numbered to /50 that is selling for ~$100 and a Brodeur Number Marks SPGU /25 from 10-11 and a Doughty Artifacts Sticker signature /5 from 12-13 to replace the remaining two Brodeur EoE and my Doughty Cup Foundations Auto Patch /5...

is it me or this is not really fair?

I was told by UD that they value each of the Brodeur at about $150, based on previous sales using Terapeak. they also value the Doughty Cup Foundations Patch Auto at $250. When it is time to ascribe a value to the cards they send me, they look at book value from Beckett instead. that way, they said the have given me $100 in extra value for the cards I received.

I tried to explain that you can't use ebay sales on one hand and beckett book value on the other hand, but didnt work.

I wanted to escalade this. Deal or no deal?
stamkos21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

Outside of the Malkin and the Doughty , I think you did very well, the Gretzky,Crosby & Yzerman are equal if not better IMO especially the Yzerman with the exceptional patches (he is very hobby friendly!)

The Triple Enshrinements based on the players is better than what you had, you got the Roy, I feel Bourque is a good equal trade off for Brodeur (not a goalie though) and Sakic trumps Price overall.

Now the Malkin and the fact Doughty is not a Cup product appear to be the issues, but overall I think UD did you alright! The real issue is you PC Brodeur so the replacement players factor is always going to be an issue for you! At least you got a low # Brodeur albeit from another product SP Game Used, it's still a pretty nice piece!

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Last edited by TASS; 05-24-2013 at 11:42 PM.
TASS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

Triple for triple: fair
Yzerman emblem for brodeur emblem: fair
Gretzky for brodeur emblem: fair

The rest: not fair at all IMO for the following:

•Foundations /15 jersey does not equal /5 patch
•Crosby enshrinement does not equal brodeur emblem
•UD - do not sub in non-cup cards for cup redemptions even at 2:1 that's brutal (ESP sticker autos)
Oilers1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

I dont do much hockey but I thought it was fair. When you stated the values though I can see why your upset and should be. I would be furious if they used ebay value and then beckett value. You cant use both to work in your favor. If you part with that triple though please let me know. I would love to have that as an Avalanche fan
BroncosFAN#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:59 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TASS View Post
Outside of the Malkin and the Doughty , I think you did very well, the Gretzky,Crosby & Yzerman are equal if not better IMO especially the Yzerman with the exceptional patches (he is very hobby friendly!)
The Triple Enshrinements based on the players is better than what you had, you got the Roy, I feel Bourque is a good equal trade off for Brodeur (not a goalie though) and Sakic trumps Price overall.

Now the Malkin and the fact Doughty is not a Cup product appear to be the issues, but overall I think UD did you alright! The real issue is you PC Brodeur so the replacement players factor is always going to be an issue for you! At least you got a low # Brodeur albeit from another product SP Game Used, it's still a pretty nice piece!

Yea, Yzerman has always sold great for me. All Red Wings sell good.
Old 05-25-2013, 01:36 AM   #6 (permalink)

i think you lost out on the Artifact Doughty and SPGU brodeur

other than that i think you did alright
Nutcracker33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 02:32 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TASS View Post

I actually didn't like the Triple. Sakic and Bourque don't go for as much as I think they should, and a lot of Bourque collectors want him as a Bruin. Where as with the goalies, Brodeur is a premium name, and Price still has time to get up there as well as a rabid Canadien fanbase of collectors. I would much, much rather have the goalies, especially with having Roy and Brodeur on the same card. Before even getting into the PC part of it.

But the rest, I think you did pretty good on. I understand it's tough for UD to come up with perfectly equal value to your high-end, PC redemptions. But they did you pretty good, IMO. The Gretzky and Crosby cards are nice, and you should have no trouble unloading them if you're not happy with them. The Triple, as I mentioned, is the downgrade to me. But not all that much of one. Granted, I think they should have tried to get you a better Broduer, as that's the bulk of your PC and redemptions. They HAVE to have a better Marty SOMEWHERE to give you. I hate manufactured patches. They have 0 tie to the player, they sell worse, and they look cheap. The Yzerman is sick as all get-out. And the Malkin is nice, if a very small disappointment from the Patch /5 standpoint, but a better player. I, personally, would love to get that as a replacement. But I can see the other side, too. The Doughty is a disappointment as well. A sticker auto, and one that shouldn't do too well at that.

I'd rate it a 6. You could have done a little better, or a lot worse. Chances are, they aren't going to work with you too much after that. I'd say it's an uphill battle. If you're really dissatisfied with them, go ahead and push the issue. Input from us is great, but in the end, it's your collection and what you want. You know how you feel about the replacements better than any of us do. Good luck with whatever you do.
Dbeis61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:19 AM   #8 (permalink)

Decent until the Malkin, spgu, and doughty. I feel your pain. My experiences with UD replacements was they would more than make up for your card not being made. Now that is not case anymore. I had a PC on card auto waiting for two years that replaced with their greater value. Funny how their greater value actual gets you less than what you had originally redeemed. Try them on twitter. I have talked to multiple people and no luck. Hope your situation works out
ryanvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:36 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Will you sell me the Gretzky?
JoshHamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

I would be very happy with all of that!
hockeykid_97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:43 PM   #11 (permalink)

i think you did well .

if the triple is for sale/trade lmk.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:02 PM   #12 (permalink)

I'd buy the Geno and Crosby off you to help ease the pain
HeyFitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 03:50 PM   #13 (permalink)

I am interested in the Gretzky PM me if moving Thanks!
sportzkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:22 PM   #14 (permalink)

Ok, good news for me. I escalated my issue and they agreed that they mis-valued the Brodeur EoE. Instead of giving me $150 each, they will value them at $225 each based on recent sale of other similar cards. They also agreed to take back the non-cup cards to compensate for the mistake, but warned this was a one-off.

So i am glad to see they agreed with my assessment and that of many of you. Now, we will have to wait and see what else i will get in return...

Stay tuned!
Old 05-31-2013, 01:53 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamkos21 View Post

So i am glad to see they agreed with my assessment and that of many of you. Now, we will have to wait and see what else i will get in return...

Stay tuned!
That's great, eager to see what you'll get in compensation.
Oilers1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:55 AM   #16 (permalink)

if I was in your position, I would ask UD how they plan on handling broduer's "agent"'s carlessness. This has to be some kind of contract break/issue or something. then I would write Broduer and tell him the situation. I'm sure there will be zero response but hey, it would make me feel better.....I think
bewbewyew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:01 PM   #17 (permalink)

The Stevie is beautiful.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:56 PM   #18 (permalink)

So did you get your replacements for your replacements? Interested to see what you got
Soonerfan65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:25 PM   #19 (permalink)

I'd say you got a 6 out of 10 on fairness Its very hard to value a card not made . But on the other hand UD should have sent more cads for Marty to sign. I would call on monday and try and get a few cards switched out .
Old 07-18-2013, 07:41 PM   #20 (permalink)

I think the cards you got are amazing!!!! I was in the same boat as you on a smaller scale, bought and redeemed (Panini) 4 brad richards peerless patches paid roughly $25 each and they sent me 4 replacements as such - cody eakin prime time auto, klingberg calder contenders, couturier nhl ink, and faulk rookie treasures. so with shipping and all I paid $125 and they sent me $35 worth of replacements and when I called to ask if it was a joke they said beckett value is equal and i told them beckett value was a joke and shouldn't even be considered with patch cards as none are the same, autos yes and rookies yes beckett all you want but patch no. they said their business runs off beckett value and I told them even though beckett completely diminishes Panini products? I had to send them back and they re-opened my requests for the originla cards so now I am stuck waiting for them plus had to pay for registered shipping to send them back
mshawnferris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:24 PM   #21 (permalink)

Id like to see the additional cards they sent. I think for what you paid personally for the cards, and the rationale they used to justify value - you got the shorter end of the stick. Still a gorgeous Triple and Stevie Y!
Olajuwon, Drexler, Earl Campbell/Longhorns, Byfuglien, Red Wings, Patrick/Evander Kane
pengages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:09 PM   #22 (permalink)

I was able to discuss with customer service and they agreed there was an error in the value ascribed to my Emblems of Endorsement. to make it up for it, they also agreed to take back the two non-cup cards they had sent me and then ship new Cup cards.

I received these 2 cards a few weeks ago

obviously two nice cards with high end players.

I am ok with the overall value of the replacement. With all the Brodeur cards they have to replace, I think they may have a problem providing a great replacement to everyone. no point in arguing any further.

still would have much preferred to get my 4 emblems of endorsement of Brodeur and my Cup Foundations auto patch /5...

cheers

thanks
Old 07-23-2013, 01:49 AM   #23 (permalink)

I've seen worst replacements, and in fact think outside of the PC realm of what you like and want, you did well VS what the general population like (goal scorers over goalies), and would have an easier time selling the cards you got of some pretty solid vets and good young players. If given the choice between what you were due and what you go, I'd pick what you got, for my PC.
Stat Monsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:31 PM   #24 (permalink)

Good thing I decided to check this thread. I am going down the same path with a UD Cup replacement for 1 card that would have been special to my pc. I just requested a replacement for my 11/12 Cup Dual Shield Auto 1/1 Kopitar/Doughty. This was a mega pc card, but I believe it's Doughty who will never sign it. I gave them a list of preferred players starting with my pc of Kopitar, but gauging value is near impossible since it's a 1/1. They will need to send me multiple Cup cards to make up the value of a 1/1, especially a dual NHL shield auto.

How many weeks did take you to get your replacements? I hope UD can satisfy the bummer of not getting a pc card. It takes multiple auto patch cards to equal the dual shield autos. To be continued...
Old 07-28-2013, 08:07 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ac View Post
Good thing I decided to check this thread. I am going down the same path with a UD Cup replacement for 1 card that would have been special to my pc. I just requested a replacement for my 11/12 Cup Dual Shield Auto 1/1 Kopitar/Doughty. This was a mega pc card, but I believe it's Doughty who will never sign it. I gave them a list of preferred players starting with my pc of Kopitar, but gauging value is near impossible since it's a 1/1. They will need to send me multiple Cup cards to make up the value of a 1/1, especially a dual NHL shield auto.

How many weeks did take you to get your replacements? I hope UD can satisfy the bummer of not getting a pc card. It takes multiple auto patch cards to equal the dual shield autos. To be continued...
It took a few weeks to get my replacement. I dont know why Doughty would not sign his cards... Were they simply lost by his agent too?? Unclear to me.