Blowout Cards Forums
Start Your Reign of Domination Now with GetTheMachine.com!

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2013, 10:12 PM   #151 (permalink)

Gonna keep this thread going.

Pens have just been poor lately. Really nothing else to say, they're just not playing anywhere near their potential.
#1 Collection : Barrasso
#2 Collection : Ron Hextall
Other : Crosby, Wregget, Malkin
NEED RON HEXTALL SPGU LETTER MARKS!!!
ncm7772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:14 PM   #152 (permalink)

Megna isn't an outstanding player, but I was impressed. IMO, he should absolutely be playing instead of D'agostini.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:40 AM   #153 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncm7772 View Post
Megna isn't an outstanding player, but I was impressed. IMO, he should absolutely be playing instead of D'agostini.
^This.

Der soff. Day play soff. I don't know if day want to be de soffest team in de league but day play like day do.

(That was my bad Michel Therrien accent).

No grit whatsoever. Kunitz and the 4th line and that's it. Look at the goals scored against the Pens - just about every one has been a screen, a deflection, a rebound, or a one timer from 15 feet out that was set up by winning a battle behind the net. Those are the greasy area where the Pens can't or won't compete. That's why they have 30 shots on goal and one goal to show for it - you can really rack up the shot total if you take 40 foot unscreened wrist shots, but you're not scaring anyone, especially the goalie.
rippit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 01:39 PM   #154 (permalink)

They are soft, that's for sure. I just don't think this team is that good. They obviously have the potential to be, but they're playing nowhere near it.

Hope they start. Soon.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:46 PM   #155 (permalink)

Very solid effort tonight vs the Preds. Shocking!

Hope they can keep going tomorrow.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:00 PM   #156 (permalink)

nice all around game. hopefully it's time for them to go on a streak.
ejs23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 06:45 AM   #157 (permalink)

They sleepwalked for the first 5 minutes or so, and after that it was total domination. Granted, it was only Nashville, but when you lose 3 in a row a win is a win.

I guess the players got tired of hearing that they don't go to the net enough (every Pens beat writer has been saying that for the last week) - two of the goals were scored from within 10 feet of the net and they had traffic in front all night. They have to win tonight too, because the schedule gets brutal starting on Monday.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:30 AM   #158 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Nick2317 Send a message via Yahoo to Nick2317

I was at the game ...it was still sloppy as hell and honestly I think that was Maatta's worst game of the season so far he had 3 direct passes to Nashville guys in the defensive zone .....I wish someone would say whats wrong or whatever with Malkin he just doesn't seem to care theres no passion there at all just laziness

The Glass-Nystrom fight was rite infront of me I still don't know why people are saying its retaliation for the Nystrom hit on Letang ....Glass wasn't on the team then and I still don't know why Nystrom wanted the fight in the first place Glass hit him hard but clean rite before that and Nystrom got mad I guess ....he def paid the price as soon as he got ko'd the Nashville players immediately called for the trainer

Fleury played another solid game ...didn't see a lot but there were a few quality chances in there. The only goal he did allow was redirected 3 times and he still got a piece of it other than that he was solid.
Old 11-16-2013, 01:42 PM   #159 (permalink)

Yep good game by MAF.

Yes I was happy to see them win and I hate to be negative, but it was against a so-so Nashville team that had been on the road for 17 days. A win is a win though.

And rippit I agree, tonight is important, cause you're right the schedule gets nasty next week. Other than the isles, every team they face the next 2 weeks is pretty solid.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:36 AM   #160 (permalink)

We lose against the lousy Devils. There is definitely something wrong with the team right now.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:09 AM   #161 (permalink)

Team is playing nowhere near their potential. I really just don't think they're that good this year.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:01 PM   #162 (permalink)

Good riddance, Justin Deffrey.

Picked up by Dallas on waivers.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:38 PM   #163 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanieTheMan View Post
We lose against the lousy Devils. There is definitely something wrong with the team right now.
Yes. It's the coaching, it's the soft style of play and it's paying a guy 8.7 million a year to score 2 goals.
solt0131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:12 PM   #164 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by solt0131 View Post
Yes. It's the coaching, it's the soft style of play and it's paying a guy 8.7 million a year to score 2 goals.
Coaching is certainly a large part, BUT, DB isn't out there playing like ass chezz. Players play.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:25 PM   #165 (permalink)

What could be wrong with Malkin? Could he just be exhausted from all the hockey he plays? Not happy in America and wants to be back in Russia?
Old 11-18-2013, 09:06 AM   #166 (permalink)

I hate to be so negative, but this is an outstanding article. I agree w/ nearly everything. Even the most optimistic and positive Pens fans cannot deny that most of this writer's posts are true:

Faceoff-Factor
Old 11-18-2013, 09:07 AM   #167 (permalink)

Quote:
What could be wrong with Malkin? Could he just be exhausted from all the hockey he plays? Not happy in America and wants to be back in Russia?
There could be any number of reasons, or "excuses". I don't care what they are, his lack of goal scoring and overall play are unacceptable for a man of his talent and salary.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:52 AM   #168 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncm7772 View Post
There could be any number of reasons, or "excuses". I don't care what they are, his lack of goal scoring and overall play are unacceptable for a man of his talent and salary.
Malkin is a prime example of what is wrong with the NHL today, some of these 'marquee' players sleep walk through the regular season as they are well aware prior to the start of the season that they will be playing come playoff time.

That being said it's also some of these guy's who FAIL in the playoffs because they lacked the intensity during the regular season and never seem to find that level of play even when the games count so much!
Old 11-18-2013, 10:30 AM   #169 (permalink)

Nothing is "wrong" with Malkin - this is who he is. He's a head case, just like Jagr. Don't get me wrong, Jagr was a great player, but there's not denying he is/was a head case. Granted, Malkin is nowhere near the head case that Jagr was, but he's also nowhere near the player that Jagr was. You can see Malkin mope on the ice when things don't go well - it's in his body language and the way he carries himself. Then he starts losing his defensive assignments and taking stupid penalties. You can almost put a watch to it - if his first couple of shifts don't generate anything, it's mope time for the rest of the night.

And Tass hit it on the head too - this team seems to be shocked when they can't just flip a switch in the playoffs and turn on the intensity. Sorry, these aren't your 1990-91 and 1991-92 Pens - that team COULD just flip the switch. Of course, that team also had Lemieux, Jagr, Ron Francis, Joe Mullen, Rick Tocchet (for one playoff drive), Kevin Stevens, Larry Murphy and Ulfie, plus Barrasso in net. This team has nowhere near that talent level.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:32 AM   #170 (permalink)

Quote:
devils' current record doesnt represent how well theyve been playing the last 7-10 days. not to mention they are 11-2 at home vs pengs recently. add in that marty has been steller his last 5 starts, and its not a totally surprising outcome. last goal was an empty netter, so 3-1? had to imagine that could happen
Old 11-18-2013, 11:23 AM   #171 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippit View Post
Nothing is "wrong" with Malkin - this is who he is. He's a head case, just like Jagr. Don't get me wrong, Jagr was a great player, but there's not denying he is/was a head case. Granted, Malkin is nowhere near the head case that Jagr was, but he's also nowhere near the player that Jagr was. You can see Malkin mope on the ice when things don't go well - it's in his body language and the way he carries himself. Then he starts losing his defensive assignments and taking stupid penalties. You can almost put a watch to it - if his first couple of shifts don't generate anything, it's mope time for the rest of the night.

And Tass hit it on the head too - this team seems to be shocked when they can't just flip a switch in the playoffs and turn on the intensity. Sorry, these aren't your 1990-91 and 1991-92 Pens - that team COULD just flip the switch. Of course, that team also had Lemieux, Jagr, Ron Francis, Joe Mullen, Rick Tocchet (for one playoff drive), Kevin Stevens, Larry Murphy and Ulfie, plus Barrasso in net. This team has nowhere near that talent level.
So, do you think we should start benching Geno a lot more to send a message?
Old 11-18-2013, 11:29 AM   #172 (permalink)

Quote:
So, do you think we should start benching Geno a lot more to send a message?
Show me where, in any of my posts, I said we should bench Malkin. Go ahead, I'll wait...
Old 11-18-2013, 07:04 PM   #173 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippit View Post
Show me where, in any of my posts, I said we should bench Malkin. Go ahead, I'll wait...
I didn't say you said that? Relax. I was proposing that maybe we should start benching Malkin, due to his poor attitude and effort during the games, and just wanted your opinion on it.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:19 PM   #174 (permalink)

My apologies-thought you were being sarcastic. At game now, will respond tomorrow.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:29 PM   #175 (permalink)

ZERO shots in the first 18 minutes.

Even Roenick is calling out DB.

Sid is the only forward that even looks interested out there. I know he's not playing his best, but teams know all they have to do is shut him down and the Pens are screwed offensively. It's not too hard for opposing coaches to see all Sid's line mates do is try to feed him the puck. And other than that, they've just gotta play the 2nd and 3rd lines with AHL level physicality, and they won't produce anything.

Lots of time left though, go Pens!