Blowout Cards Forums
Labor Day

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2013, 11:00 AM   #201 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncm7772 View Post
Maybe. My friend brought up a good point - they might as well trade Despres if they're not going to use him. I've never been hard on this kid because of his laziness, and I percieve him as arrogant. But he's still projected as a top prospect, and I think they could get something for him.

Connor is just doo doo, but Shmegma looked alright when he was with the big club, I think he can become a solid NHL player.

In the light of all these injuries, Sid, Geno, Neal, Kunitz, fleury, are all really going to have to step up. I leave Letang out, because she's shown nothing this season that tells me she's the same player as the last 2 seasons.
I was a big Despres fan until he came into camp out of shape - TWO YEARS in a row. A spot was his for the taking both times. Now I'm all in favor of trading him - I can't stand lazy players.

Shmegma is a smooth offensive player, but the things that sticks out in my mind were a couple of times when he covered up for a D-man that went in deep. A lot of times the knock on minor leaguers is that they can't/won't play well defensively, but this kid gets it. He could be a keeper.

I disagreed with you in the offseason about Letang, but I may have to eat my words on that one - you're right, he's done nothing. Worse than nothing - he's still making horrid turnovers but now he's not contributing anything offensively either. I'm starting to wonder if giving him that contract was a colossal mistake.
rippit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:01 AM   #202 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick2317 View Post
Paul Martin was put on the IR today as well ..not just day to day .......
Our best defenseman - man, this team can't buy a break.

Last edited by rippit; 11-27-2013 at 01:48 PM.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:40 PM   #203 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Nick2317 Send a message via Yahoo to Nick2317

News is bad ...Paul Martin has a broken leg and out 4-6 weeks now
Old 11-27-2013, 01:52 PM   #204 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick2317 View Post
News is bad ...Paul Martin has a broken leg and out 4-6 weeks now
Keeps getting better and better. You see the 3rd + 4th lines? Here:

Connor-Sutter-Ebbett
Adams-Vitale-Megna

Wow! Those are some BAD lines. I hate to be purposely negative, but the next few weeks might be some LEAN ASS times. It's been a 2 line team since the season started, but this is just BAD. And to exacerbate it, the team's (arguably) best D-Man is out. These next few weeks might be LOOOOONNNG.

No one get homicidal or suicidal here. I'm a realist and this is my opinion. I think the Pens will have some lean ass times the next few weeks.
#1 Collection : Barrasso
#2 Collection : Ron Hextall
Other : Crosby, Wregget, Malkin
NEED RON HEXTALL SPGU LETTER MARKS!!!
ncm7772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 02:00 PM   #205 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippit View Post
I disagreed with you in the offseason about Letang, but I may have to eat my words on that one - you're right, he's done nothing. Worse than nothing - he's still making horrid turnovers but now he's not contributing anything offensively either. I'm starting to wonder if giving him that contract was a colossal mistake.
No need for that, we all have opinions. Never understood why some get so mad about opinions, that's why I like conversing with level headed fans like yourself!

Yep, she's been beyond bad this year. Heck, I'd LOVE for her to be playing now like she did last year. I mean, she's always made questionable decisions, but you learn to live with that (to an extent, obviously) when she's a D-Man producing a point-per-game or close to it. 1, ONE, assist in 16 games! Yes, she has 4 goals, but 3 are on the PP! She's creating nothing offensively, and her turnovers are astronomical, her decision making is simply dumbfounding. Did anyone see late in the 3rd vs Boston Monday, she had the ENTIRE ice to skate or pass, and he shoots it directly at the B's forward? Dude didn't have to move to intercept. Or when Iginla's slow ass (he's still a great hockey player, but no one can say he's a speed demon at this point in his career) had Letang spun around like a turntable? Iginla made her look like an ass.

In past seasons, although she wasn't great defensively mostly due to poor decisions and bad positioning, she at least TRIED on defense. Even ifs he made one of his bonehead decisions, she at least TRIED to get back into position. I mean, it's beyond obvious that the effort just isn't there thus far this season.

I'm not saying trade her (that would be a very, very stupid move at this point), but he's showing right now that the mega-redonk extension she got was not the correct move. Granted, this can certainly change, and I hope dearly it does, she hasn't improved at all since she came back from injury. It appears to me she's actually regressed.

The only thing we can hope for is Sid, Geno, Kunitz, Neal, Orpik and fleury really step up and lead this team. Getting NOTHING from Jokinen and Dupuis (dude, what is up with him this year?). On a plus note, I think Neal is playing great for the most part.

Last edited by ncm7772; 11-27-2013 at 02:05 PM.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:37 PM   #206 (permalink)

How many posts back did I say Fleury has to go on a bus ride? Brutal.
ZappBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:29 PM   #207 (permalink)

Most people here know I'm not a fleury fan, but I've been defending him this year, as he had been pretty solid. But 2 meh games followed by tonight, he's almost back to playoff form. Again, the team in front has not helped at all, but top NHL goalies need to occasionally steal games, and I can only think of once this year that he's done that.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:48 PM   #208 (permalink)

Great battle tonight by the Pens. They never gave up, showed a lot if balls and heart. Was great to see. Held the Leafs to ZERO shots in the 3rd. Kudos to Zatkoff for his play in the shootout.

Still lots of issues, but I'll take the fake win (I don't like shootouts)!
Old 11-27-2013, 11:08 PM   #209 (permalink)

i don't get the Despres bashing. the kid is solid and proved it again tonight. i don't think he was on the ice for any of the goals they gave up tonight. they're better on defense when he's in the lineup.

Fleury is a dilemma. too inconsistent... and when he's cold, he's really cold.

it was good to see Zatkoff make save in the SO. maybe that'll help him build some confidence.

and great to see Malkin get it going. that's definitely needed.
ejs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 09:54 AM   #210 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejs23 View Post
i don't get the Despres bashing. the kid is solid and proved it again tonight. i don't think he was on the ice for any of the goals they gave up tonight. they're better on defense when he's in the lineup.
I am, or was, one of his biggest fans, and he played an excellent game tonight (except for the stupid penalty). He has every skill you'd want in a defenseman, plus he's big and he's willing to use his size.

My problem with him is he's LAZY. When you come into camp two years in a row with a job that is yours for the taking, and both years you come in woefully out of shape, that's a MAJOR red flag. A player can have all the tools in the world, but they're useless unless he has a toolbox to put them in.

I think that finally he gets it, and I also think the reason he gets it is because Maatta made the team. When a defenseman drafted a few years after you makes the team and you don't, you have to ask yourself why. He's been touted as the top defensive prospect in the organization, and now he's been passed by someone younger (and the word out of camp was that Pouliot also almost made the team, so that's TWO younger guys who may have zoomed past him). His options at this point are (1) get it together, get in shape and make the team, (2) DON'T get it together now, get traded, THEN get it together and try to make another team, or (3) don't get it together at all and enjoy the AHL.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:11 AM   #211 (permalink)

Despres didn't look bad last night. I'm hoping his demotion in favor of Maata woke his ass up.
Old 11-29-2013, 06:34 PM   #212 (permalink)

he looked good again today. hopefully he's a keeper.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:52 AM   #213 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejs23 View Post
he looked good again today. hopefully he's a keeper.
I think he is - he's blown two chances and the Pens have stuck with him. Most other players would be gone if they'd done the same, but management and the coaches have stuck with him because they see this kid can be something special. Bylsma has been quoted as saying he's going to get a "significant opportunity" with Martin and Scuds out. I really think Maatta passing him up might have flipped a switch.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:21 PM   #214 (permalink)

Starting lineup
"So hard-signed Autograph Cards without nasty redemptions isnít that difficult to do. You just have to want to do it for your collectors"---Price 3:16
Rinkwraith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:19 AM   #215 (permalink)

Couldn't watch either game over the weekend (on the road seeing Slayer!!!!), but it sounds like the team played an excellent game vs Tampa Bay. Good to see fleury bounce back after 2 meh games and an atrocious one.

Sounds/looks like the Pens were thoroughly outplayed by the Cats, but Zatkoff saved their butts with an outstanding game. And judging from the highlights, Malkin was a beast. He's been so SO much better than past 2 weeks, he's finally looking like himself, hope it continues. Shoot, he's only 1 point behind Sid now.

While Zatkoff has played 2 solid games in a row, I don't feel he's the long term answer at the backup goalie spot. I'm still hoping for my boy Vokizzle to be back. With his serious health scare, I understand his tentativeness. Based on the below article, he seems like he wants to play again, but has acknowledged that it's possible he may be done:

Penguins goaltender Vokoun recovering, still hoping to return | TribLIVE
Old 12-04-2013, 02:58 AM   #216 (permalink)

Man, it sure is nice to have the greatest Hockey player in the world on your team
Old 12-04-2013, 02:16 PM   #217 (permalink)

Overcame an ugly start to win last night. What a play by Sid in OT.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:33 AM   #218 (permalink)

Two good measuring stick games coming up - I'll be happy if they can split them.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:09 AM   #219 (permalink)

Going to the game tonight. Should be a good one.
crabbygraphs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 01:06 PM   #220 (permalink)

I'll be there too.

No Malkin tonight - he got hurt in practice this morning. Day to day with a lower body injury.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:47 PM   #221 (permalink)

Quote:
I'll be there too.

No Malkin tonight - he got hurt in practice this morning. Day to day with a lower body injury.
Well, we've gone quite a while without Sid or Geno getting hurt. We all know it was bound to happen eventually. I just hope it really is "day-to-day" and is nothing serious.

Unfortunately w/ Geno out, the lack of secondary scoring becomes even more critical. I see the Sharks just hounding Sid all night, knowing no one else can make things happen.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:53 PM   #222 (permalink)

Quote:
I'll be there too.

i just got the notification about Geno. If the Sharks do hound Sid lets hope the other guys can make a splash tonight.
crabbygraphs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:52 PM   #223 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbygraphs View Post
lets hope the other guys can make a splash tonight.
Gonna be tough, man. With all these injuries, those 3rd + 4th lines is lookin' rough.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:57 AM   #224 (permalink)

impressive that they're still playing well, even with all the injuries. nice to see these young guys playing big... Maata, Menga & Despres (haven't lost since Despres came up, just saying).

and always a sigh of relief when Fleury has a solid game.

Crosby's 500th was a good one.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:18 AM   #225 (permalink)

Wow, I didn't see that coming. Some sloppy defensive play, but fleury was outstanding, and their offensive game was among the best of the season.