Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Card Event 4/27/14

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2013, 11:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Pittsburgh Penguins 2013-14 Offseason/Season Thread

I want your guys opinion on what the Penguins should do in the off season. Obviously, there are some flaws in our team. My dad suggested a top goalie and a really big defenseman. I agree with the goalie, not so much on the defenseman, as I feel like our defensemen are pretty good. Bylsma NEEDS to be fired. He was clearly out coached. He was out coached in this series and the Flyers series last year. He needs to be gone. We need a coach who will discipline the players. I know some people want to get rid of Cooke, but every team needs an agitator, and he is a good one. Just some of my thoughts, I'd love to hear fellow Pens fans opinions though!
Old 06-07-2013, 11:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

I dont know if it is just me, but i would love a colton orr type player on the pens.
Old 06-08-2013, 11:24 AM   #3 (permalink)

maybe John tortorella is needed?
Old 06-08-2013, 10:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

I will leave the Bylsma decision to Mario but in my opinion they should trade Fleury to clear up cap space that they can use to sign Dupuis who I feel is an important player to retain. I would lock up Malkin to a long term deal now and then field offers for Letang because he will command 8 million a year as a UFA.

I would let Iginla, Morrow, Murray and Cooke fly as they are all UFA. I would resign Craig Adams as well. My Top 6 defenceman next year would be Martin/Orpik, Niskanen/Engelland and Despres/Bortuzzo. Beau Bennett would be Malkin's left wing and I would try and fill the 3rd line void with a solid veteran presence who leads by example.
solt0131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

Would depend on what Dupuis wanted in salary but he's about only free agent I would keep.

It's time to decide Malkin or Crosby - for most part they haven't done much in playoffs together.. Either Sign Malkin and trade Crosby for a scorer and goalie or trade Malkin but don't keep both.

They need to stop with the finesse skaters who can get knocked around and sign/draft/trade for some stronger players who can crash the net and not get pushed around. Wide open hockey in the regular season works but come playoff time the team that plays stronger defense and smarter hockey wins..
streicher187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:00 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by solt0131 View Post
I will leave the Bylsma decision to Mario but in my opinion they should trade Fleury to clear up cap space that they can use to sign Dupuis who I feel is an important player to retain. I would lock up Malkin to a long term deal now and then field offers for Letang because he will command 8 million a year as a UFA.

I would let Iginla, Morrow, Murray and Cooke fly as they are all UFA. I would resign Craig Adams as well. My Top 6 defenceman next year would be Martin/Orpik, Niskanen/Engelland and Despres/Bortuzzo. Beau Bennett would be Malkin's left wing and I would try and fill the 3rd line void with a solid veteran presence who leads by example.
So who do you think they will trade Fleury for?
rhcardinals3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:33 AM   #7 (permalink)

I'm not trading Fleury. We have enough cap space in order to keep a solid team. We are strong as is...

The way I see it, Pens made it to the conference finals this season. I'm keeping the team as close to this season as possible. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
PensFan29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by streicher187 View Post
trade Crosby for a scorer
Because Crosby does not score goals. Really. That is most idiotic statement yet. The Pens cannot win every game, every year. It will not happen. Even the best teams lose. You cannot trade your best player for a goalie and scorer (who will not be as good as Sid). This team has a ton of potential and just because they lost everyone is jumping ship. This team has a bunch of great players but they cannot win them all. You will be out played. They played a hot team with a hot goalie. Not much could happen with that. Im really shocked you didn't say fire Lemieux and find a new owner. Shero knows what he is doing.
crabbygraphs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:14 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:

So the one glaring omission I see from your post and considering you propose to move Fleury who is going to be in the Pens net for the 2013-14 season?

I don't see them depending on a 37 year old Vokoun to carry the load, and if so who will be the backup.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

Scratch that....Bylsma said today that Fleury isn't going anywhere and is going to be their starting goalie on Day #1 and Vokoun will go back to the backup role next season.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:55 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Scratch that....Bylsma said today that Fleury isn't going anywhere and is going to be their starting goalie on Day #1 and Vokoun will go back to the backup role next season.

Great!!
Old 06-09-2013, 07:56 PM   #12 (permalink)

Penguins suck
Trimarchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:37 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
He's such an idiot. Well, there are rumors (and just that, only rumors) that the Rags are gonna be quick to pounce on DB if (hopefully WHEN) is fired. Rumor has it Shero actually wants to keep DB, but Lemieux is pushing for the canning.
#1 Collection : Barrasso
#2 Collection : Ron Hextall
Other : Crosby, Wregget, Malkin
NEED RON HEXTALL SPGU LETTER MARKS!!!
ncm7772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:43 PM   #14 (permalink)

maybe just maybe they can get ray emery as the hawks will most likely not resign him
Old 06-10-2013, 12:54 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimarchi View Post
Penguins suck
So does your feedback.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:40 AM   #16 (permalink)

Hope you guys get rid of bylsma so the Rangers can scoop him up.
RBKSNIPZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:59 AM   #17 (permalink)

Mario wants to Coach. Just sayin
HeyFitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:36 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyFitzy View Post
Mario wants to Coach. Just sayin
Wouldn't be that bad of an idea....because when Mario talks, people listen.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:32 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Wouldn't be that bad of an idea....because when Mario talks, people listen.
Well duh he's signing the checks so of course they do. Most great players aren't great teachers because the game came too easy for them so I wouldn't hang your hat on Mario turning into Scotty Bowman any time soon.

As an outsider I have a solution for you people that the most Pens fan won't understand because they only know the Crosby led Pens but I think some of you will see the logic. You have to shop Crosby and hope to fleece some team like the Cowboys (Cowboys/Pens oh the irony these days eh ) did with Herschel Walker. I'd normally say shop Malkin but for health reasons and health reasons alone, it has to be Crosby. Face it, Crosby is always one hit, and not even a major one, away from a trip to the quiet room. Saw it all before with Lindros in Philly. If you can get a stud D-man and some other talented young players for him, Mario and Ray would have to think about making what would surely be an unpopular move with the majority of Pens fans (until you show that you are better and can win)

Other team's owners would be willing to take that chance because he would instantly increase ticket sales. Shea Weber comes to mind because he has a big contract but he doesn't put azzes in the seats like Crosby would.

To win BIG in the NHL you don't need to score 4-5 goals a game. The Kings and Bruins are proof of that. Malkin put up big numbers before when Crosby was out and the Pens would still have enough scoring even if Dupuis and Iggy also move on.

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:24 AM   #20 (permalink)

If you were the owner of the team Bam and Crosby is your #1 moneymaker and pretty much guarantees you a profit and a sellout of every game for at least the next 5 years, why would you trade him? Hockey is a business to these owners and although they care about winning, they ultimately care about the bottom line and Crosby is their #1 cash cow.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:30 PM   #21 (permalink)

Yeah crosby trade talk.....really.....thats not happening. Period
http://s421.photobucket.com/albums/pp297/Koppper/Sports%20Card%20Collection/
Koppper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:27 PM   #22 (permalink)

Default Penguins 12-13 Plans

Hope our Pens can sign a few of their players like Duper and square up Geno. I also want them to look on the goalie market to see if they can bring in/or up some players to compete with Fleury or Vokoun. Beau B should have a nice year this coming year and I hope Despres can continue on his progress. Maybe our young drafted guys like Derrick P, and Ollie Maatta can tear it up and get ready for the Nhl. I know we drafted a goalie and have some good ones down in Scranton but not sure if anyone is ready for the jump. If anyone follows the younger guys please keep me informed.
cardboardkilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:25 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
If you were the owner of the team Bam and Crosby is your #1 moneymaker and pretty much guarantees you a profit and a sellout of every game for at least the next 5 years, why would you trade him? Hockey is a business to these owners and although they care about winning, they ultimately care about the bottom line and Crosby is their #1 cash cow.
Wrong, winning puts people in the seats. If Crosby was playing and the Pens sucked nobody is coming.

If the team is winning, tickets are sold. Doesn't matter who is on that team. So if they traded Crosby and still have a championship team then it doesn't matter.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:27 PM   #24 (permalink)

mario is a turd and always has been. i am glad that the pens got swept. keeping fleury is a huge mistake. what has he done since winning the cup in 2009? he chokes every playoff season. you either trade malkin this off season or you risk losing him for nothing next year as a free agent cause the pens will not be able to afford to resign him for what he is making now, unless they are gonna gut the rest of the team.
scotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:15 AM   #25 (permalink)

Shero just announced Bylsma is staying. 2 year extension through 2015/16. Assistant coaches Tony Granato and Todd Reirden also extended.