Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2013, 06:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Question for the Canadians on here

Just a thought, and maybe a stupid one, but I was wondering...since a lot of people (including me) don't ship to Canada because of the cost of shipping with tracking, have you guys ever thought about getting a group of collectors together and getting a P.O. box in the states? P.O. boxes are cheap to rent and the cost would be next to nothing, especially if it's split a few ways. If you could find a point man that you trust and who lived near the border he could make a run maybe once a week to pick up all of the packages. Then you would be able to buy all the great cards (like mine lol) offered by sellers in the states.

Is this a stupid idea? It just came to me out of the blue, but I didn't think it all the way through before I posted this.
rippit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

Many people used to ship packages to a UPS building south of the border, then drive down and pick them up. Unfortunately the Canadian government (to my knowledge) no longer allows it. They now ask, along with the standard drugs, alcohol and tobacco, if you have picked up a package.

It's unfortunate, but I don't think they allow it anymore.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

I figured there must be a reason, otherwise someone would have (and did) thought of it before.

But okay, so here's another question - if you said yes, you DID pick up a package, what would happen? Would they seize it or just make you pay the customs fees?
Old 07-18-2013, 06:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippit View Post
I figured there must be a reason, otherwise someone would have (and did) thought of it before.

But okay, so here's another question - if you said yes, you DID pick up a package, what would happen? Would they seize it or just make you pay the customs fees?
Make you pay customs fees...

There are a couple ways to lower shipping/taxes/customs fees though. One is getting a US address for mail forwarding. You can read details there: www.shipito.com
remlaf01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'm just trying to feel things out because not being able to ship to Canada is absolutely KILLING my sales (I do hockey pretty much exclusively).

I know my post count on here isn't very high, but as you can see I've been a member for a while. The post count stays low because I don't get involved in any of the flame wars that go on sometimes on this site and I also don't pimp my auctions. In fact, most of my posting is limited to general hockey talk unrelated to cards. My point is that even thought I don't post much I'm frequently on the forums just reading things over and getting the lay of the land - I'm not some newbie coming in and looking to start trouble.

So all of that being said, I'm going to ask for some opinions. I'm thinking about shipping to Canada once again. IF I decide to start shipping to Canada, I plan on including the blurb below in my auctions. What I'm asking for opinions on is this (and also keep in mind, I'm not looking for opinions on what YOU yourself would do, but what you think the average Ebayer would do):

(1) If you were browsing over items on Ebay and you looked at an auction and saw this blurb, would you be more inclined to try and rip me off?

(2) Would my postage costs (starting at $7.50 for one card) lead you to ding me on the DSRs?

(3) Would you just think I was a jerk in general and rip me off BECAUSE you thought I was a jerk?

So without further adieu, hear is the blurb:

"PLEASE NOTE - I AM ONCE AGAIN SHIPPING TO CANADA. Combined shipping to Canada will be $0.35 for each additional card won. Sorry, but I have to do it that way because the online customs formed used by Ebay Shipping requires that each item must have a weight of at least 1 ounce, so if I ship 4 cards I have to charge you for (and pay for myself) 4 ounces, even if the package weighs only 2 ounces. And if you think I'm overcharging you for shipping, I would suggest that you visit the USPS web site and see for yourself how much it costs to ship a First-Class package from the U.S. to Canada. PLEASE BE PATIENT WITH THE SHIPPING TIME - I always ship within 48 hours of receiving your cleared payment but I have no control over how long it takes the USPS or Canada Post to deliver your package. All orders to Canada that are over $100 will be sent via registered mail at a cost of $30.

PLEASE ALSO NOTE - I have over 2,000 positive feedback, and as of July 2013 I have yet to receive a negative. That is because I'm honest and I take care of my customers. If you buy something from me and claim non-receipt and I have to issue you a refund, you can rest assured that your Ebay ID, real name and city will be posted on every online card forum on the internet. I relaize that things do occasionally get lost in the mail, but in all my domestic transactions I have yet to have a single package that I have either bought or sold get lost. For the honest buyers out there, I apologize in advance.

NO CANADIAN BUYERS WITH LESS THAN A 100 FEEDBACK SCORE AND A FEEDBACK RATING OF 99.8%. If you are a winning bidder and either of these are less than the stipulated amounts, I will not complete the transaction. If you want to leave me negative feedback based on that, then go ahead - I'll just call Ebay and have it removed."

Last edited by rippit; 07-18-2013 at 07:59 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
NO CANADIAN BUYERS WITH LESS THAN A 100 FEEDBACK SCORE AND A FEEDBACK RATING OF 99.8%. If you are a winning bidder and either of these are less than the stipulated amounts, I will not complete the transaction. If you want to leave me negative feedback based on that, then go ahead - I'll just call Ebay and have it removed."
I dont think you can state that in your auctions. If someone reports you, youll probably have your listing removed.

What is killing your sales? High end or low end? If its high end, then ship to Canada using proper tracking methods provided by USPS or 3rd party plus insurance. If its low end, then you are SOL. Low end gets killed by shipping prices no matter how you slice the cake. For low end, have you thought about moving sales over to COMC? I know a lot of sellers who have done this instead.
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
I dont think you can state that in your auctions. If someone reports you, youll probably have your listing removed.

What is killing your sales? High end or low end? If its high end, then ship to Canada using proper tracking methods provided by USPS or 3rd party plus insurance. If its low end, then you are SOL. Low end gets killed by shipping prices no matter how you slice the cake. For low end, have you thought about moving sales over to COMC? I know a lot of sellers who have done this instead.
Low to mid-end - anything from $2 cards to maybe $70 or $80 cards. I haven't been lucky enough to pull too much that's over that. I guess the problem is that no matter what you do, if someone is determined to rip you off they're going to rip you off.

The background to this is that I had 3 different Canadian buyers claim non-receipt. One of them was as honest as you can get - I refunded his payment when he hadn't received the cards in a month. Then, 8 WEEKS after I had shipped the cards, he got them. He actually contacted me and paid for them again. I need to look up his name, because he really deserves a positive shout-out.

The other two occurred within two weeks of each other and they got me for around $100 total. I'd just about bet the house that they received the cards eventually, unless the mail up there is worse than the Pony Express. That's when I stopped shipping to Canada. My suspicion is that they were hacked off about the shipping costs (it was right around the time that the rates from Canada to the US more than doubled) and decided to rip me, but of course I can't prove it.

I thought about COMC, but as you can see from my signature I also do shows so I can't have the cards out of my possession. And you're probably right about Ebay removing my listings. I may just have to bite the bullet and take the risk and start shipping up there again - either that or get out of it entirely.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:26 AM   #8 (permalink)

I used two Ebay accounts, one for Canada and one for America. I live in a border town, and have all of my American packages shipped to relatives in Buffalo. It saves me huge shipping fees, lets me bid on items where I might not otherwise be allowed, and saves the time hassle of waiting for Canada Customs to clear my packages. It's been great, and I've never had a single problem.

As far as declarations, I just claim the value of whatever I paid. I've found that I'm rarely ever asked more information about my purchases, and I've never been asked to pay any extra fees. I'm sure you could get away with sneaking your packages back into Canada, but I'm not going to risk my Nexus card by lying.

I've used this American address for a couple of Canadian friends who wanted U.S.-only items, and today in Buffalo I mailed a card I'd received from a Canadian seller for an American collector so it goes both ways. I don't mind helping out that way when I can.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:37 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
I used two Ebay accounts, one for Canada and one for America. I live in a border town, and have all of my American packages shipped to relatives in Buffalo. It saves me huge shipping fees, lets me bid on items where I might not otherwise be allowed, and saves the time hassle of waiting for Canada Customs to clear my packages. It's been great, and I've never had a single problem.

As far as declarations, I just claim the value of whatever I paid. I've found that I'm rarely ever asked more information about my purchases, and I've never been asked to pay any extra fees. I'm sure you could get away with sneaking your packages back into Canada, but I'm not going to risk my Nexus card by lying.

I've used this American address for a couple of Canadian friends who wanted U.S.-only items, and today in Buffalo I mailed a card I'd received from a Canadian seller for an American collector so it goes both ways. I don't mind helping out that way when I can.
I wish there were more Canadian buyers that did that. This whole thing may be a moot point anyway - I did some searching it from what I've read it sounds like the issues with first class delivery confirmation have been straightened out. I'm really tempted to give it another try.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:46 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post

We've actually just started up a service designed to help international buyers. Announcing the COMC Mailbox service! | COMC Blog

It's not a drop-ship service, but we think it's a pretty interesting option.

Thanks,
Jeremy, COMC
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:59 PM   #11 (permalink)

Some of you guys are wrong. I live near Washington State and there are thousands of Canadians that send their purchases to a US address. There are dozens of options/businesses that are minutes across the border that cater to Canadians, where their sole business model is to accept packages for Canadians. This only makes sense for Canadians near a border crossing and unfortunately, it's not available/feasible for the most citizens.

I'm really surprised that people are willing to shut out Canadians from purchasing things. If you're clear with the shipping costs and it's reasonable, then I think most people would be willing to purchase and pay for the actual shipping costs. Sure, there are factors like the value of the card that come into play, but if I'm willing to buy a $50-500 card, I'm sure $7-20 for S&H is reasonable and acceptable.

Using USPS is the best option. They won't rip the buyer off, unlike UPS, where they charge a ridiculous $40 brokerage fee for doing the same thing USPS does. That's my tip for anybody that thinks sending to Canada is inflated.

I buy hundreds of cards and refusing to ship to an entire country cause it's slightly more expensive is a non-factor in my opinion since the buyer should be paying for it anyway. It's been expensive to ship to the USA for Canadians, but that doesn't seem to matter to us.
clearblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:39 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearblue View Post
I'm really surprised that people are willing to shut out Canadians from purchasing things. If you're clear with the shipping costs and it's reasonable, then I think most people would be willing to purchase and pay for the actual shipping costs. Sure, there are factors like the value of the card that come into play, but if I'm willing to buy a $50-500 card, I'm sure $7-20 for S&H is reasonable and acceptable.
A few problems with this:

1. A lot of Canadians think it costs the same to ship a card from Canada to the US and it does to ship from the US to Canada. It doesn't. I'm constantly referring Canadian bidders who want to bid to the USPS web site to show them my shipping costs aren't out of line. I charge $7.50 for one card, which is fair when you take into account fees, mailers, and the like.

2. If you do mostly low-end to mid-end, no one is going to pay $7.50 for shipping on a $2 card. I can't blame them - I wouldn't either.

3. First class delivery confirmation to Canada is useless - sometimes they scan, sometimes they don't. But I called the USPS and supposedly, starting in late July, they're going to introduce a new First Class International DC system which actually, you know, SCANS the packages. That would be a godsend.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:54 AM   #13 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to nyisle

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippit View Post
PLEASE ALSO NOTE - I have over 2,000 positive feedback, and as of July 2013 I have yet to receive a negative. That is because I'm honest and I take care of my customers. If you buy something from me and claim non-receipt and I have to issue you a refund, you can rest assured that your Ebay ID, real name and city will be posted on every online card forum on the internet. I relaize that things do occasionally get lost in the mail, but in all my domestic transactions I have yet to have a single package that I have either bought or sold get lost. For the honest buyers out there, I apologize in advance.

I would not do this, this just setting yourself up. You are basically challenging people before they even buy from you. Someone will come along and take you up on this challenge.

You also mentioned people who ripped you off, whenever I get someone who claims they have not received their card, after 1 week or 4 weeks, I always ask that they wait another few days and more times than not they get it.

I ship in Bubble Mailers only!! NO PWE!!!
nyisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 02:13 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyisle View Post
I would not do this, this just setting yourself up. You are basically challenging people before they even buy from you. Someone will come along and take you up on this challenge.

You also mentioned people who ripped you off, whenever I get someone who claims they have not received their card, after 1 week or 4 weeks, I always ask that they wait another few days and more times than not they get it.
Yeah, you're probably right. I realized that after I calmed down a bit.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:58 PM   #15 (permalink)

Shipping to the US from Canada is just as expensive for Canadians. It's the same problem on either side. Once you factor in tracking it's expensive on either side of the border.

Like I said, as long as you're clear with the cost of shipping on your auctions, people should be able to determine whether or not they want to pull the trigger on $7.50 in S&H charges. Whether or not it's acceptable or not, depends on what they're buying. Maybe they buy twenty $2 cards from you, then it's worth while. Maybe they buy a $200 card from you, then it's worth while too. But to completely shut out an entire country makes no sense. I see it all of the time and it's annoying as a buyer, to be willing to spend the money and then find out that the seller doesn't ship to Canada. That's cutting out 3 Million+ potential customers.
clearblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:30 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Shipping to the US from Canada is just as expensive for Canadians. It's the same problem on either side. Once you factor in tracking it's expensive on either side of the border.

Like I said, as long as you're clear with the cost of shipping on your auctions, people should be able to determine whether or not they want to pull the trigger on $7.50 in S&H charges. Whether or not it's acceptable or not, depends on what they're buying. Maybe they buy twenty $2 cards from you, then it's worth while. Maybe they buy a $200 card from you, then it's worth while too. But to completely shut out an entire country makes no sense. I see it all of the time and it's annoying as a buyer, to be willing to spend the money and then find out that the seller doesn't ship to Canada. That's cutting out 3 Million+ potential customers.
Get dinged on your DSRs a couple of times and you might reconsider. You can send a one ounce package with Canada Post (no tracking) for $2.99. The cheapest package rate from the U.S. to Canada is $6.50. So it's not the same cost to ship from the US to Canada as it is from Canada to the US.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:47 PM   #17 (permalink)

I would always welcome Canadian buyers, and just list the S&H fee, and let the Canadians decide if they want to pay the price.

I think it can be expensive and there is room for mistakes if not fraud where parcels are not tracked by USPS, via 1st Class, so you might have to institute certain "rules" to shipping.

If feedback is "X" or less and/or if card sale is "Y" or more... then it would be mandatory to send the card out via USPS Express Mail, which I think can be over $20, but has insurance and tracking/delivery confirmation.

Sending 1st Class Airmail gives a seller zero protection, so it's blind faith and trust hoping the buyer is honorable.

Most Canadian buyers (as opposed, to but not to use stereotypes or sound racist in any way, but places who have a poor reputation for fraud from eBay sellers who have been burned by buyers from The Philippines, Russia, Mexico, and other locations) are honorable, so the risk is generally less since it's not a "red flag" country where fraud is known to occur.

At the end of the day, there's only 1 auction winner, so to block a Canadian or any other country bidder who may not win the item, but participate in the supply/demand chain so inherently drives the auction prices up by bidding, only helps your auction and what you end up at.

If you have full disclosure on your shipping terms with precise detail, buyers know the score before entering the game and can not complain. They have to factor in the "all in" price of what they're willing to pay and then bid accordingly or not.
Stat Monsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:24 PM   #18 (permalink)

I live 6 hours from the border so not an option for a PO box, but i have never had an issue buying from the states, and I can usually get a low end card shipped to me for 2-3 bucks.
I can also ship the same way to the states for 2-3 bucks. And have never had a problem.
If I sell a card over $100 then I ship tracked and realize it will cost big bucks to do this, so I factor that in the listing.
I guess my thoughts are if you have 2000 transactions and only 2 gone bad, that's maybe not the worst track record....certainly not worth cutting out your biggest customer base.
Just my 2 cents.
Oilers1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:58 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Shipping to the US from Canada is just as expensive for Canadians. It's the same problem on either side.
I don't think U.S. sellers should cut out the Canadian market, but this statement isn't accurate.

It costs me just over $2.00 to ship an item from Canada to the U.S., virtually the same as it costs when I use USPS for domestic delivery on the same-sized package. On the flipside, it costs three times as much for Americans to ship up here.

This is exactly why I have a Canadian and U.S. address, to save money, time in Customs, and the hassle of American shippers understandably not wanting to ship to Canada.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:54 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
I don't think U.S. sellers should cut out the Canadian market, but this statement isn't accurate.

It costs me just over $2.00 to ship an item from Canada to the U.S., virtually the same as it costs when I use USPS for domestic delivery on the same-sized package. On the flipside, it costs three times as much for Americans to ship up here.

This is exactly why I have a Canadian and U.S. address, to save money, time in Customs, and the hassle of American shippers understandably not wanting to ship to Canada.
You get it - if all Canadian buyers were like you I would never have stopped shipping to Canada in the first place.

After thinking it over, I'm going to start shipping to Canada again starting next month after the Erie, PA card show. And I won't be including the "I dare you to rip me off" blurb (nyisle made a good call on that one).

Thanks for the input guys.