Blowout Cards Forums
4/4/14 Coupon

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2010, 04:32 PM   #26 (permalink)

Whether he only pushed Campbell or ran him, it was still cheap and the game misconduct was appropriate because the league shouldn't continue to have a different rule book based on talent level. If Matt Bradley did this and got tossed nobody would complain. I like the fact that Ovie plays hard and is physical but there is a fine line he walks sometimes between being physical and being dirty. He obviously wasn't trying to put Campbell out with that shove but there really wasn't any reason to even touch him once he moved the puck.

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:29 PM   #27 (permalink)

But nobody has still answered my question about why the game misconduct in the 1st period. Reading the actual rules on the NHL site and found these

42.1 Boarding A boarding penalty shall be imposed on any player or goalkeeper who checks an opponent in such a manner that causes the opponent to be thrown violently in the boards. The severity of the penalty, based upon the degree of violence of the impact with the boards, shall be at the discretion of the Referee.

There is an enormous amount of judgment involved in the application of this rule by the Referees. The onus is on the player (or goalkeeper) applying the check to ensure his opponent is not in a vulnerable position and if so, he must avoid the contact. However, there is also a responsibility on the player with the puck to avoid placing himself in a dangerous and vulnerable position. This balance must be considered by the Referees when applying this rule.

Best possibility is this. However, Campbell had to have known that OV was coming...
Did anybody else listen to NHL Live on XM today? They of course were spending a lot of time on this issue and of course different opinions. Which brings me to Redbirdgrad's point of stars vs. 4th liners. The guys on XM and callers seemed to agree that stars now have to fend for themselves since the enforcers have been forced out with all the fighting rules/penalties. And yes I watch lots of hockey and have partial season tickets to the Pens.

Ovi, much like Crosby are simply either you love 'em or hate 'em guys IMO.

The problem is that everybody tries to rip everybody off!
MrSnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:57 PM   #28 (permalink)

If I were sneaking into an enemy camp knowing there might be some hand to hand combat involved in order to save some captives, I'd want to take Ovie with me. I'd let the Penquin stay behind and call in coordinates for air support.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:30 PM   #29 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to pskell02

Quality comment about the incident by The Stay Puff Marshmallow Man:

Quote:
"If this was Sidney Crosby doing this, everybody outside of Pittsburgh would have cried foul: 'Suspend him for the year,'" Capitals coach Bruce Boudreau said in an interview with the team's Web site. "I don't think it does the game any good to have Alex suspended."
That may be the dumbest thing I've ever read from a coach. What is he even trying to say? Suspend Sidney if he did it, but its not cool to suspend AO for it?

Oh, even better, he also blames Campbell for getting hurt:

Quote:
"Brian Campbell is one of the best skaters in the National Hockey League," Boudreau said. "If he thought danger was coming, and he saw Alex right behind him, he would have moved. I think he was trying to spin away and the spin didn't work, and he got caught in the ice and he fell into the boards.
"That's me, and a lot of people are going to bash that thought. But that's my opinion."
Old 03-15-2010, 11:44 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSnyder View Post

The severity of the penalty, based upon the degree of violence of the impact with the boards, shall be at the discretion of the Referee.

There is an enormous amount of judgment involved in the application of this rule by the Referees. The onus is on the player (or goalkeeper) applying the check to ensure his opponent is not in a vulnerable position and if so, he must avoid the contact. However, there is also a responsibility on the player with the puck to avoid placing himself in a dangerous and vulnerable position. This balance must be considered by the Referees when applying this rule.

Best possibility is this. However, Campbell had to have known that OV was coming...
Let's just break down your argument for a second...

First, you quoted the rulebook and I'm glad you did because it plainly tells you everything you need to know. Severity is judged by the referees, and they judged this hit severe enough to warrant a game misconduct. I'm not sure why that's unclear to you.

Secondly, as to your interpretation of the rule... It is not "the responsibility on the player to avoid placing himself in a dangerous and vulnerable position". It IS the responsibility for the checking player to finish his check within the rules. Ovie didn't do that. To even go further, Campbell had already moved the puck and Ovie had no business making that hit in the first place. You want to bump him, let him know you're there, and cause the defense to move the puck quicker looking for turnovers... that's one thing. You want to throw a guy into the boards after he's already moved the puck and doesn't have time to brace himself... that's completely different. Hence the game misconduct and the 2 game suspension.

The referee's call on the ice was backed up by the league office with the suspension, and should be all you need to know for how bad of a judgement call this was on Ovie's part.

And to be clear, I'm a Hawks fan that would LOVE to have Ovie on my team... I just think he made a boneheaded play and will definitely pay the price for it the next time the Hawks play. That game is going to be UGLY. And he deserves everything he gets.
Redbirdgrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 11:09 AM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pskell02 View Post
Quality comment about the incident by The Stay Puff Marshmallow Man:

That may be the dumbest thing I've ever read from a coach. What is he even trying to say? Suspend Sidney if he did it, but its not cool to suspend AO for it?

Oh, even better, he also blames Campbell for getting hurt:
I can't stand Boudreau, one of the biggest whiners in the league. Its always the other guy and woe is me with him. Shut up already. If someone did that to Mike Greene he'd be crying for a huge suspension. Ovie got a break with only 2 games, deal with it and move on.

Like I said before I like Ovie and his style of play but he is dirty sometimes. Mike Knuble's take on him sums it all up :

Ovechkin's teammate Mike Knuble did not want to comment specifically on the hit, but said he would like to see his hard-hitting teammate tone down some of his aggressiveness.

''He has the reputation that he plays hard, but things seem to be happening around him,'' Knuble told The Washington Post. ''You would like to see him being more careful.''

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote