Blowout Cards Forums
Draft Kings

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2010, 08:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default With all this talk about Ovechkin....

With all this hype about 50 goals in 50 games or he'll score 100 goals easily and how he's easily the best player in the game today, do you guys realize that Sid is only one goal behind him?

Oh yeah, by the way, Sid also has his name on the Cup.
solt0131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 09:33 AM   #2 (permalink)

Yeah, except AO has 13 more points in 7 less games, had it not been for the injury he'd be pushing 55 goals ATM. I might remind you that Nicklas Backstrom is one point behind Crosby with one more game, so I guess Nik is on par with Sid.

That argument is actually more logical than the one you just posted. Go crawl back under your Pittsburgh Penguins blanket and come up with another one Solt!
“Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes. You must look into that storm and shout as you did in Rome. Do your worst, for I will do mine! Then the fates will know you as we know you.”
frozenntimesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:05 AM   #3 (permalink)

Nobody cares about Backstrom, except people in DC. He has zero appeal to Canadian fans and US fans. The only reason you bring him up is that you are hoping his cards eventually spike in value. Anyone who would center Ovechkin and Knuble would have the same amount of points anyway. It was like when they could put any clown on Lemieux's line and they would score 40 goals. Put Backstrom with Kunitz and Guerin and let's see how he'd do.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:40 AM   #4 (permalink)

You won't believe this but I'm actually glad Crosby is looking to shoot more this year and is putting pucks in the net. He'll get over 50 this year and many of them are the workman like goals from in close with deflections and rebounds. I tip my hat to him because he does work hard and has that drive to win every time out. I admire guys like that in today's game. I still think Ovie is the best player in the game but I now rank Crosby a lot closer to him than I did in the past. Malkin doesn't seem to have the same desire this year and I put Sid ahead of him now. Maybe Malkin turns it on in the playoffs but with his size and skill set he should be the best player on the ice every night.

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 11:26 AM   #5 (permalink)

Some people like Ovie WAY too much. - The only thing that would have make that even better is if they misspelled his name.
IndySportsCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by solt0131 View Post
With all this hype about 50 goals in 50 games or he'll score 100 goals easily and how he's easily the best player in the game today, do you guys realize that Sid is only one goal behind him?

Oh yeah, by the way, Sid also has his name on the Cup.
Hey, it's "make an obvious comment" day apparently. Well, let me add a couple;

Since the Thrashers drafted Kovalchuk No. 1 overall in 2001, the Russian Olympian leads the NHL with 328 goals.

Brodeur has his name on the Cup in 3 different spots.
Rinkwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

Man...you Crosby/Ovechkin lovers are more annoying than Red Sox /Yankee fans...

Seriously, what was the point of this thread other than to start a pissing match?
BostonNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 11:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

Your right Solt, no one cares about Backstrom yet, but he's like Forsberg, and Forsberg got a national following.

Jonathan Toews might be better. I can't think of too many other Centers that are on par with those two. Crosby is probably better, he shoots more. Mike Richards might be in the same category even though he's having a rough year.

That's it though. Can't think of any other centers in that category.
“Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes. You must look into that storm and shout as you did in Rome. Do your worst, for I will do mine! Then the fates will know you as we know you.”
Old 02-14-2010, 11:05 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinkwraith View Post
Hey, it's "make an obvious comment" day apparently. Well, let me add a couple;

Since the Thrashers drafted Kovalchuk No. 1 overall in 2001, the Russian Olympian leads the NHL with 328 goals.

Brodeur has his name on the Cup in 3 different spots.
How long had Brodeur been in the league vs. How long has Crosby been in the league?
Old 02-14-2010, 12:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

All I know is this--neither one of them can grow a decent playoff beard.
oldgoldy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 03:19 PM   #11 (permalink)

Ovie & Crosby are in a class by themselves - DUH! Why argue about it - the only thing that seems factual is that Crosby is softer(for you Pitts fans - less reckless-compare the hit counts) than Ovie - as for Backstrom - I will be very happy if he has an Adam Oates career. Please don't argue that Backstrom gets all his points because of Ovie - he makes great passes to him, it is as simple as that. Because he is from Sweden, there is no love, but saying he is not talented and gets points because of Ovie is a ridiculous statement.
I pull scrubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 03:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by solt0131 View Post
How long had Brodeur been in the league vs. How long has Crosby been in the league?
Sorry Solt, you left the door open on this one...

Brodeur "had been" in the league only two years before winning his first Stanley Cup after winning the Calder Trophy in his first season. So you're right Crosby does have a late start at it, but with hard work and perserverance he might just have a chance at getting as many Cups as Brodeur.
Rinkwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:21 AM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

I have been away from the game for a long time. Staring watching games again slowly. I like the fire that Ovechkin plays with. Crosby has impressed as well. If one had to choose between the 2 players , I would take Ovechkin, as I believe he has done more with less.

Michele
naboo29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 03:27 PM   #14 (permalink)

Looks like Backstrom did OK without Ovie today!
I pull scrubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 04:30 PM   #15 (permalink)

No love for Stamkos? Damn, talk about turning it around after a crap rookie year.

anusinha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 04:35 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anusinha View Post
No love for Stamkos? Damn, talk about turning it around after a crap rookie year.
Stamkos actually just had a bad first half of his rookie season. Stamkos had 17 goals in 34 games after the all-star break, which is a 41-goal pace. The problem was that he had 6 goals in his first 45 games.
Bobcat88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 04:40 PM   #17 (permalink)
Approved Group Sub Host

And Ovechkin got kicked out of the game for that? Come on now...soon the NHL will become the next No Fun League...shoved his left shoulder and he hit the board. No problem with a penalty, but Game Misconduct? Not a chance...

The problem is that everybody tries to rip everybody off!
MrSnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 04:41 PM   #18 (permalink)

Ao is better than crosby just take. A look at all the players crosby has compared to ao

ALWAYS BUYING RENATO NUNEZ BC AUTOS
chansen10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 05:56 PM   #19 (permalink)

That was a complete cheap shot hit. AO pushed Campbell from behind right into the boards.

anusinha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 06:02 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anusinha View Post
One season doesn't a superstar make. I need to see three years before you can discuss superstar, let alone best player in the league.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:53 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSnyder View Post
And Ovechkin got kicked out of the game for that? Come on now...soon the NHL will become the next No Fun League...shoved his left shoulder and he hit the board. No problem with a penalty, but Game Misconduct? Not a chance...
Sure - Campbell only got a broken collarbone and several ribs. And most likely out for the remainder of the season. AO's lucky he got run. Woulda been a price on his head.

Explain to me now how it didn't deserve a game misconduct......

Collect Romo, Garoppolo & Brent Seabrook GU/Auto
EIUBowler206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:00 AM   #22 (permalink)

Ovechkin though a great player is a nasty player ...
he continues to be reckless and either does'nt think before doing or does'nt care ... I don't know which is worse ...
He's a wonderful talent but I just don't care for him .... from his orchestrated 50 goal celebration (if I'd been on the ice I would have knocked him on his *ss -- you don't have to show up another team like that , especially with a planned celebration ... that was classless) to his borderline and sometimes over the line hits ...
I don't mind a clean hardworking player and clean hard hits but the hit on Campbell was un-necessary .... sure you can finish you check , you can body the guy out of the way and go after the puck but he was behind him and there was absolutely no reason to push him that hard at that angle like that .... it might not have been a intent to injure move but it was a gutless reckless move ... I don't buy these "well he does'nt know how strong he is" arguements ... that's bull ... anybody who's played hockey as long as he has has to know what will happen when a player goes around the net , near the boards at that angle gets a hard push like that .... what did he think would happen ?
Reckless and no regard for his fellow players ...
I'm tired off it .... and this from a Bruins fan who's just seen his best player taken out for the year buy a cheap shot artist who did'nt even get a penalty or suspension ....
now this was'nt as deliberate as Cooke but it was still extremely reckless and the Blackhawks who might be on a magical season have now lost one of their best defenseman because AO once again goes over the line...
I can tell you if the roles were reversed you'd hear howls and calls for suspension ...
This guys gonna end somebody's career someday and because he's a superstar he gets a break .... should'nt be that way ....
He's the only reason I'm rooting for whoever the Caps play against in the playoffs ....
you can play smart, tough, rugged hockey but this guy is dangerous ...

ron
hockeyron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:41 AM   #23 (permalink)
Approved Group Sub Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIUBowler206 View Post
Sure - Campbell only got a broken collarbone and several ribs. And most likely out for the remainder of the season. AO's lucky he got run. Woulda been a price on his head.

Explain to me now how it didn't deserve a game misconduct......
Hear, but disagree with your whiny ways; Sure, he shoved him from the side into the board. Again, no problem with a penalty. BUT at that point why a game misconduct? They didn't know about any injuries and the best players always have a tag on their head. However, here's one of the things I like about Ovechkin...if somebody takes a run at him, he'll be man and stand up for himself. Somebody runs at Crosby and he runs like a dog with his tail tucked.

The problem is that everybody tries to rip everybody off!
MrSnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:44 AM   #24 (permalink)

I'm not sure what you mean there, when have you seen Crosby run like a dog with his tail tucked after someone took a run at him?
Old 03-15-2010, 03:50 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSnyder View Post
Hear, but disagree with your whiny ways; Sure, he shoved him from the side into the board. Again, no problem with a penalty. BUT at that point why a game misconduct? They didn't know about any injuries and the best players always have a tag on their head. However, here's one of the things I like about Ovechkin...if somebody takes a run at him, he'll be man and stand up for himself. Somebody runs at Crosby and he runs like a dog with his tail tucked.
Do you think before you type?

Quote:
Why a game misconduct?
Are you kidding me? Didn't know about any injuries? The guy laid on the ice before being accompanied to the dressing room for no reason at all... right?

Quote:
The best players always have a tag on their head
Do you even watch hockey? The best players don't have any more of a tag on their head than the fourth line. It's the cheap shot artists like Ovie who have tags on their head and with good reason. EIU is right... if Ovechkin would have stayed on the ice for the whole game he most definitely would have had a price on his head and would've needed smelling salt to bring him to after the Hawks 4th line got done with him.

Ovie deserved being run and deserves any suspension the league deems fit. The problem is they're trying to capitalize on the success of the olympics and need all the star power they can get to keep and gain fans. This probably translates into a one game suspension at most for Ovie and that's a shame...

But wait till the Hawks play The Caps again. I'll be rinkside banging on the glass waiting for Ovie's first shift...
Redbirdgrad is offline   Reply With Quote