Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2013, 07:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Shipping to Canada? Any suggestions?

After listening to the girl talk about why i dont sell all these hockey cards laying around, i have decided to do so. I guess my only problem with doing it is A) I am new to selling stuff on ebay B) I have always had my concerns with shipping cards to Canada. I do have some that are worth a bit of money and i just dont want to get screwed. Are there ways to ship cards bought on ebay that offer tracking from USA to Canada? I know customs can hold cards up sometimes, i have bought a few things from Ebay sellers from Canada and i expect to wait awhile to get a cards sometimes. Just looking for some suggestions about selling cards on ebay from USA to Canada. Thanks guys!!!!
Kraizd11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

You're going to get 10 different answers on this.
chezball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 04:50 AM   #3 (permalink)

Of course you should sell to Canadians. This makes even more sense if you have valuable cards. USPS, UPS, FedEx all have tracking options. Sure, it might be a little more expensive, but as long as you explicitly state actual shipping & tracking costs in your auctions, then the buyer will know and factor it into their bidding. Just be honest. There are lots of people that will overcharge on S&H and cheap out on delivery by sticking it in an envelope and paying the cheapest rate possible. Don't be one of those guys cause then you'll set yourself up for mail being lost and/or a claim opened against you.

The odds of getting screwed by the mail system is the same in Canada and the USA. The only way you can protect yourself as a seller is to provide tracking. It's really that simple.
clearblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chezball View Post
You're going to get 10 different answers on this.
I was afraid of that....
Old 09-22-2013, 05:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearblue View Post
Of course you should sell to Canadians. This makes even more sense if you have valuable cards. USPS, UPS, FedEx all have tracking options. Sure, it might be a little more expensive, but as long as you explicitly state actual shipping & tracking costs in your auctions, then the buyer will know and factor it into their bidding. Just be honest. There are lots of people that will overcharge on S&H and cheap out on delivery by sticking it in an envelope and paying the cheapest rate possible. Don't be one of those guys cause then you'll set yourself up for mail being lost and/or a claim opened against you.

The odds of getting screwed by the mail system is the same in Canada and the USA. The only way you can protect yourself as a seller is to provide tracking. It's really that simple.
I agree, it makes total sense to sell hockey cards to Canada, as i figured it def gives me a better shot at selling them. In no way am i looking to make money on the shipping and handling chargers. I just want to make sure that the buyer and me are covered. Thats why i want to know what ways of shipping through USPS can i provide a tracking number that will post the info from my house in the US to their house in Canada. I have read somewhere that the packages can only get tracked to the boarder and thats it.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

if you take paypal, print shipping label from paypal, and use that to ship

I usually get it in a week of the date the shipping label is printed

if it is highend ($100+), use UPS, is about 20 bucks extra, thats how Blowout shipped my highend cards from breaks
Nutcracker33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

One 3 oz. Pkg to Canada w/ PP shipping costs around $6.50. I charge $6.99 for first item to Canada and $0.50 for each additional. Not many takers but I have not had problems yet.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutcracker33 View Post
if you take paypal, print shipping label from paypal, and use that to ship

I usually get it in a week of the date the shipping label is printed

if it is highend ($100+), use UPS, is about 20 bucks extra, thats how Blowout shipped my highend cards from breaks

I have a few high end cards i plan on selling. I have been using ebay shipping labels on a few items i have sold. Do both of the ways you suggest provide a tracking number to the delivered address in Canada?
Old 09-22-2013, 07:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairysasquatch View Post
One 3 oz. Pkg to Canada w/ PP shipping costs around $6.50. I charge $6.99 for first item to Canada and $0.50 for each additional. Not many takers but I have not had problems yet.
Is it as easy to print shipping labels with Paypal as it is with Ebay? Also does this way provide tracking? Yeah i can understand ppl thinking that is high for shipping but its hard to provide a cheap way to ship to Canada and have both the seller and buyer covered
Old 09-23-2013, 03:09 AM   #10 (permalink)

I get lots of packages shipped to me in Vancouver almost all of my purchases are tracked via USPS. So yes, you can totally get tracking.

I'd also highly recommend not using UPS. UPS has a pretty good scam for bringing packages across the border. Whenever they send a package across the border, they slap the recipient with some ridiculous brokerage charges for filing customs/tax forms that will surely make your buyer very angry. It's like $40, regardless of the value of the item being shipped. They're the only ones that do it. Use FedEx or USPS instead.
clearblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:16 AM   #11 (permalink)

I would go with the ebay/paypal shipping on any items over $50. Anything less than that I take to the post office, especially single cards that are less than $50 as they just charge me as a large envelope which ranges from $2.25 to $3.00 depending on the weight.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:49 AM   #12 (permalink)

Don't limit yourself to just Canada. I used to be big in the hockey game used stick/jersey trade. I increased my profits by a large margin when I decided to sell overseas too. Sold a lot of ovechkin sticks to Russia for large premiums. It can be a pain but it is definitely worth it in the long run. Now with what's international shipping thing it is even easier. Just sent two sweaters to Canada that way with no problems. Also you may sell a lot to Finland. They are pretty good buyers in the card market for some players.
callou2131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:28 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraizd11 View Post
I have a few high end cards i plan on selling. I have been using ebay shipping labels on a few items i have sold. Do both of the ways you suggest provide a tracking number to the delivered address in Canada?
yes both USPS first class international and UPS canada standard provide tracking number
Nutcracker33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:37 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearblue View Post
I get lots of packages shipped to me in Vancouver almost all of my purchases are tracked via USPS. So yes, you can totally get tracking.

I'd also highly recommend not using UPS. UPS has a pretty good scam for bringing packages across the border. Whenever they send a package across the border, they slap the recipient with some ridiculous brokerage charges for filing customs/tax forms that will surely make your buyer very angry. It's like $40, regardless of the value of the item being shipped. They're the only ones that do it. Use FedEx or USPS instead.
Thanks for the input on UPS. I planned on going through USPS anyway, but its glad to know that. Def dont want my buyers getting hit with ridiculous fees
Old 09-23-2013, 09:40 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingin98 View Post
I would go with the ebay/paypal shipping on any items over $50. Anything less than that I take to the post office, especially single cards that are less than $50 as they just charge me as a large envelope which ranges from $2.25 to $3.00 depending on the weight.
Alright thanks for the input. Will def keep this in mind thank you.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:43 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by callou2131 View Post
Don't limit yourself to just Canada. I used to be big in the hockey game used stick/jersey trade. I increased my profits by a large margin when I decided to sell overseas too. Sold a lot of ovechkin sticks to Russia for large premiums. It can be a pain but it is definitely worth it in the long run. Now with what's international shipping thing it is even easier. Just sent two sweaters to Canada that way with no problems. Also you may sell a lot to Finland. They are pretty good buyers in the card market for some players.
Are you talking about the Global Shipping program ebay offers? I have had my reserves about that because it sounds like the buyer could get hit with some serious fees. I haven't even considered shipping to Russia or Finland. Guess with the not knowing too much about international shipping, i hadn't considered it. Are there ways to track that shipment through USPS?
Old 09-23-2013, 09:44 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutcracker33 View Post
yes both USPS first class international and UPS canada standard provide tracking number
Alright cool, that makes me feel better. Will def start listing some cards as I go through them. Thank you for the input
Old 09-24-2013, 01:17 AM   #18 (permalink)

[QUOTE=Kraizd11;5761548]Are you talking about the Global Shipping program ebay offers? I have had my reserves about that because it sounds like the buyer could get hit with some serious fees.
QUOTE]
You may have seen me on the basketball forums:

The new International Priority shipping to Canada is flawed. They, Pitney Bowes, charge brokerage fees and import duties on $10 items from the US. This is ridiculous! We are allowed $100 free before import taxes on each transaction. This is what happened to me recently.

Item: $22.99 shipping $11.59 and import charges $4.60. So I pay $16.19 for a $22.99 item. What a bunch of horse manure! Import charges? Legal or illegal? Does the USPS charge brokerage fees? No, .... Why is eBay allowing this?

The best way to go is USPS First Class Mail Intl / First Class Package Intl Service and it should cost $7-$8 with a tracking #. It works really well. I've recently purchased two items from the same seller and shipped both ways. I still haven't received my priority shipment sent on the same day.

Since I am a set builder, if a seller only uses International Priority, I'm screwed. Who can afford that? So I am asking American sellers to please, please, use the USPS First Class Mail Intl so I can spend my hard earned money with you rather than Pitney Bowes.
UPS is the same way. Brokerage fees.
wonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:00 AM   #19 (permalink)

I like using COMC for this myself. Indeed, if you're looking for money quickly, this is not the route for you. However, if you can wait a bit for them to post the cards, you can sell them to anyone with an account, and they deal with the customer service situations. This way, you can have your cards available to buyers in the US and Canada, without having the potential headaches of border issues, because COMC handles that. Now, if you're looking for money quickly, then this option is not for you. Good luck!
LGBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:06 AM   #20 (permalink)

I sell a lot of hockey on ebay and ship to Canada an average of 10-15 times / week. I always use USPS and ship through ebay. To ship a 2oz package (about right for a 000 bubble mailer and a single card), its just under $6. If you go up to 3oz, it goes up to about $6.50. It used to be cheaper about 6 months ago, but now you get tracking on the items automatically. The only sticky part comes in if you sell an item for over $250, because to have ebay protection on a card over $250, you have to have a signature confirmation of delivery. So in that case (which I had happen yesterday), I ship USPS Flat Rate Bubble Mailer (about $20) and I pay for ShipCover Insurance (another $7 or so for $250). It's not ideal and I lose money in shipping in that case, so you have to build that into your price when selling if you can.

Looking for Andre Dawson Serial numbered cards that are his jersey number - either #8 or #10. So looking for cards like 8/8 or 08/99 or 10/250.
ddearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:44 PM   #21 (permalink)

Thanks for the info, but how does an American seller set up the way you had just mentioned? This seems foreign to a lot of US sellers and they don't know what to do. Any tips would be very helpful.
wonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:15 PM   #22 (permalink)

Yes all this info has been very helpful. I will be listing hockey cards shortly and be offering USPS First Class Mail Intl / First Class Package Intl Service. I want to make this as cheap for the buyers up north. Yeah the Global Shipping Program seems like such a rip off.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:37 PM   #23 (permalink)

I found out about this the hard way....but for the love of god please make sure to double check any paperwork filled out by USPS, UPS, or Fedex when shipping to Canada. I had an employee at one of these companies accidently put down 50 cards at the declared value EACH instead of listing it as 1 box with 50 cards inside of it. Needless to say the customs fees were about 5x the value of the cards inside and I had to fight with them for 2 months to get them to pay the fees because of their mistake. I am going to try to now educate as many people as I can who ship to Canada to triple check every piece of paperwork they receive.

My photobucket: http://s451.photobucket.com/albums/qq239/GOWIFB/
GOWIFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:34 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOWIFB View Post
I found out about this the hard way....but for the love of god please make sure to double check any paperwork filled out by USPS, UPS, or Fedex when shipping to Canada. I had an employee at one of these companies accidently put down 50 cards at the declared value EACH instead of listing it as 1 box with 50 cards inside of it. Needless to say the customs fees were about 5x the value of the cards inside and I had to fight with them for 2 months to get them to pay the fees because of their mistake. I am going to try to now educate as many people as I can who ship to Canada to triple check every piece of paperwork they receive.
I am in an understanding that if i use the USPS method through Ebay labels that all off the internation shipping papers are all included in the printed out label
Old 09-27-2013, 10:43 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddearing View Post
I sell a lot of hockey on ebay and ship to Canada an average of 10-15 times / week. I always use USPS and ship through ebay. To ship a 2oz package (about right for a 000 bubble mailer and a single card), its just under $6. If you go up to 3oz, it goes up to about $6.50. It used to be cheaper about 6 months ago, but now you get tracking on the items automatically. The only sticky part comes in if you sell an item for over $250, because to have ebay protection on a card over $250, you have to have a signature confirmation of delivery. So in that case (which I had happen yesterday), I ship USPS Flat Rate Bubble Mailer (about $20) and I pay for ShipCover Insurance (another $7 or so for $250). It's not ideal and I lose money in shipping in that case, so you have to build that into your price when selling if you can.
Thank you for all that info. With all the input i am going to be listing all my Canadian shipping as USPS First Class Mail Intl / First Class Package Intl Service. Seems to be the best way and i believe it includes tracking so that buyer and seller are covered