Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2013, 03:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2012-13 The Cup

Hi all,

I have been following a bit of the information flowing out on this product and wanted to know everyone's opinion on it. Due to the weak rookie class, the value has to be in the vet / hofers autos/ patches. Though the addition of the Ultimate pack is nice, does that compensate enough? I am debating on going in on a 3 box case. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jonathan
jonefriedman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

i just don't see the value. without top rookies. there's just not much to substantiate the cost. gretzky is really the only draw for me.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to bmc398

Hmm. Ive been tempted. I think most dealers will be asking $400 a box for this. The cup is always a rookie driven set. Without any GREAT ones, this could be a tough bust. Or they could do what they did with SPA and load it with a ton of beautiful high end vet hits. I definitely think it will be limited and vet loaded....but there's still the rookies....which are dragging down a rookie based product.

I can't see this going for more than MSRP....and if its not loaded, it will drop like a rock...really for the first time for a Cup product.
bmc398 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 03:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

Some more information from UD:
Upper Deck Answers Questions About the Highly Anticipated Release of 2012-13 NHL The Cup! | Upper Deck Blog

Definitely will be more limited and vet loaded. Its just a question of how tough will the shields/jumbo patches/other 1of1s/Gretzky autos be? How good is the extra veteran content (Sundin, Bure, Forsberg etc)
edhou1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 04:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by edhou1 View Post
Some more information from UD:
Upper Deck Answers Questions About the Highly Anticipated Release of 2012-13 NHL The Cup! | Upper Deck Blog

Definitely will be more limited and vet loaded. Its just a question of how tough will the shields/jumbo patches/other 1of1s/Gretzky autos be? How good is the extra veteran content (Sundin, Bure, Forsberg etc)
Pretty good update, just with only 3 RCs /99 (and not knockout Rcs at that)going to be tough to justify.

On a side note, it will be funny to see how many tins will be "saved" by their Ultimate pack hit.
"So hard-signed Autograph Cards without nasty redemptions isnít that difficult to do. You just have to want to do it for your collectors"---Price 3:16
Rinkwraith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 04:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinkwraith View Post
Pretty good update, just with only 3 RCs /99 (and not knockout Rcs at that)going to be tough to justify.

On a side note, it will be funny to see how many tins will be "saved" by their Ultimate pack hit.
As a big fan of the 1997 Legends set, I think the Ultimate pack will be a major box saver many times. Having a chance to pull an Ultimate shield doesn't hurt either.

I'm also very tempted by those triple shields!
edhou1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Limited production will offset the lack of rookies although it remains to be seen just how limited it really is. If it's loaded I suspect those who got in early will be glad they did.
223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:22 PM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to bmc398

Quote:
Originally Posted by 223 View Post
Limited production will offset the lack of rookies although it remains to be seen just how limited it really is. If it's loaded I suspect those who got in early will be glad they did.
Last year's set was kind of a dud though...but had a few big name rookies driving purchase.

I just don't see the value here for this year's release...but plenty can change. Basically a good rookie case hit is a BAD thing this year.....they should have just skipped it all together then. A Kreider #/99 MIGHT get $200? OUCH
bmc398 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 03:49 PM   #9 (permalink)

I think we can all agree that the rookie class is weak at best. However, from what the sell sheet indicates, UD is aware of that. So does that mean that the vet and HOFer hits will be better/more plentiful? If so, doesn't this make it a great opportunity for collectors to snap up higher end vet hits for a bit less? The secondary market may not be there with the rookies being almost a detriment, but what a great chance to pull a Gretzky, Orr, Lemieux etc.? Or am I way off here?
jonefriedman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 04:08 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonefriedman View Post
I think we can all agree that the rookie class is weak at best. However, from what the sell sheet indicates, UD is aware of that. So does that mean that the vet and HOFer hits will be better/more plentiful? If so, doesn't this make it a great opportunity for collectors to snap up higher end vet hits for a bit less? The secondary market may not be there with the rookies being almost a detriment, but what a great chance to pull a Gretzky, Orr, Lemieux etc.? Or am I way off here?
I agree as long as you pick it up on the secondary market, then fine, but not busting tin after tin
2012space852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 04:55 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonefriedman View Post
The problem is that a case hit of a veteran will not cover the price of one tin most of the time, and you are paying for 6 tins per case.

You needed that $2000 rap hit to justify the high price of this product. When your best card in a 6 tin case is a $200 gretzky auto - people aren't too happy.
hermanotarjeta is online now   Reply With Quote