Blowout Cards Forums
Blaster Master

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2013, 07:51 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Edmonton Ice Surface

Not getting to watch many games in Edmonton the one thing I noticed was the quickness of the ice at Rexall Place and the fact the puck never seemed to bounce or go on edge when being passed.

It's been said for years that the ice in Edmonton is the best in the league, even Andy Brickley made note during last nights Bruins broadcast as to how 'crisp' the passing was for both teams especially long passes that we have grown accustomed to seeing bounce and pop on edge and roll.

Made for a really good game to watch and just added to the overall performance of both teams IMO.

I guess it pays to not have a Basketball court built over your respective teams ice surface, as this is proof that it makes a difference!

Last edited by TASS; 12-13-2013 at 09:44 AM.
TASS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 11:32 AM   #2 (permalink)

Too bad the oilers still suck,lol.
hermanotarjeta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 11:44 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermanotarjeta View Post
Too bad the oilers still suck,lol.
They are a quick team with so much young talent, as I said this was the 1st game I have seen them play this year and even though the Bruins are playing banged up they played pretty damn good for 2 periods.

They need to play a better two way game and definitely need a marquee Goalie but I think this team is one or two veteran players short of being a contender. Yakupov looked pretty good last night and it seems like he is starting to play like he did last season.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:48 AM   #4 (permalink)

I agree. The capitals ice surface is awful. Especially during the playoffs. They have basketball, a horse show, and multiple concerts a week there.
callou2131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 02:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

The guy in charge of the ice over there is a renown leader in this field.I believe the NHL hires him at every winter classic.

Cant really blame the guys in charge at MSG or other very occupied buildings, or the one in Florida or any other place you can get out of the arena in sandal.
Dr kicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 02:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Nick2317 Send a message via Yahoo to Nick2317

Daniel Craig is the Ice guru .....I don't know if he works for the Oilers anymore or the NHL ....
Old 12-13-2013, 04:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

Well, since they are a laughing stock, they should use the ice as a selling point.

"come look at the fantastic ice we have since our team is the biggest joke in the league". That will put fannies in seats.
thetheham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 05:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetheham View Post
Well, since they are a laughing stock, they should use the ice as a selling point.

"come look at the fantastic ice we have since our team is the biggest joke in the league". That will put fannies in seats.
LOL. but I had to mention it as it was incredible to see sharp quick cross ice passes at the end of a period when most NHL rinks are no better than a frozen pond!
Old 12-13-2013, 06:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

It better be the best it's cold as ice up in Canada
Chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 07:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

Anyone notice the high school like lighting in that place? Seemed line a few bulbs were out or they have a halfa$$ setup. Beautiful ice though
Old 12-13-2013, 07:26 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TASS View Post
LOL. but I had to mention it as it was incredible to see sharp quick cross ice passes at the end of a period when most NHL rinks are no better than a frozen pond!
I'm just messing with ya. As a fan of hockey I think the Oilers front office is the worst in professional sports. Their fans deserve better then the garbage they put out on the ice with their stock pile of skill players.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:30 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetheham View Post
I'm just messing with ya. As a fan of hockey I think the Oilers front office is the worst in professional sports. Their fans deserve better then the garbage they put out on the ice with their stock pile of skill players.
Yea I know , but like I said last night was the 1st game I have seen them play, and your right what a skilled young team but they need to be 'coached up' big time.

It's a shame as they have a great tradition and fan base!
Old 12-13-2013, 07:38 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TASS View Post
Yea I know , but like I said last night was the 1st game I have seen them play, and your right what a skilled young team but they need to be 'coached up' big time.

It's a shame as they have a great tradition and fan base!
Realistically, the things Mike Keenan would do with that team. Maybe I'm just old school, who knows, but having Yak playing with garbage players just screams a trade for an established first pairing defenseman...if one is available.

A defenseman and a quality coach is all that team needs. As a huge Blackhawks homer, I have seen inept owners and GM's, trust me on that. And I can tell you, from experience, no less, the problem with the Oilers isn't the players. And until Kevin Lowe, he who knows how to win with six Cup rings, sees that, those damned fans who pack that stadium are going to suffer because of it.

At least Hawk fans stopped going to the games.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:01 PM   #14 (permalink)

Definitely the best ice in the league. Easier to cheer for the ice than the team some nights.
It's gotta be a challenge to maintain good ice in florida or LA. We are bone dry here all winter with basically no humidity, and it helps that its -40 in early December.......ugh.
Oilers1980 is offline   Reply With Quote