Blowout Cards Forums
Football promo

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2014, 10:14 PM   #51 (permalink)
Member
 
GoJays's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 6,657
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetheham View Post
Truer words have never been typed. I would take your Champions over the field at this point and on par with Canada if Canada didn't have Toews, Sharp, or Keith.

Just too good.
No, just...no. I like the Hawks, but...no.
__________________
I will leave my signature the same until the Toronto Maple Leafs win the Stanley Cup. In short, I will never change my signature.
GoJays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:41 PM   #52 (permalink)
Member
 
TASS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: RI
Posts: 4,687
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetheham View Post
Truer words have never been typed. I would take your Champions over the field at this point and on par with Canada if Canada didn't have Toews, Sharp, or Keith.

Just too good.
Yea, Champions beat at home by the Rangers tonight LOL

Just too good!
__________________
solt0131 "I told you guys before the Pens as they are aren't as good as the Bruins and can't beat them."
TASS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:42 PM   #53 (permalink)
Member
 
TASS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: RI
Posts: 4,687
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJays View Post
Let's be honest, though. The Blackhawks could beat at least half of the teams in the Olympics.

Canada will go as far as their defense takes them. The goaltending is solid, but it is not good enough to win when facing 40+ shots per game. I hope the excess of offensive-defensemen (one would suffice, don't know why we took as many as we did) doesn't come back to bite us.
I could pick 5-6 current NHL teams that could beat half the teams in the Olympics.
__________________
solt0131 "I told you guys before the Pens as they are aren't as good as the Bruins and can't beat them."
TASS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:10 PM   #54 (permalink)
Member
 
GoJays's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 6,657
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TASS View Post
I could pick 5-6 current NHL teams that could beat half the teams in the Olympics.
Yes, that is true. I could see the Hawks beating a quality Olympic hockey team.

Although to be fair, a group of 9-year old Canadians could beat Norway and Latvia . Don't know why Germany didn't get in, I would assume they'd be better than at least a quarter of the teams (Latvia, Austria, Norway).
__________________
I will leave my signature the same until the Toronto Maple Leafs win the Stanley Cup. In short, I will never change my signature.
GoJays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:36 PM   #55 (permalink)
Member
 
RBKSNIPZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 2,895
Default

Half the posts in this thread make me want to throw up.

Top 3 Are Canada, Sweeden, USA ( Not in particular order anything can happen )

Those 3 teams are the only all around solid teams. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a moron.

USA- Best Goalies
Canada- Stacked Overall, Most Fire Power
Sweeden- King Henrik(Little Bieased Here) Very solid team
RBKSNIPZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:04 AM   #56 (permalink)
Member
 
SeanieTheMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,043
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TASS View Post
Yea, Champions beat at home by the Rangers tonight LOL

Just too good!
Looks like someone is still a bit butt hurt over the outcome of the NHL Finals last Summer!
__________________
Just wishing the girl I like (Amy) would just for once reply back to my texts...
SeanieTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:40 AM   #57 (permalink)
Member
 
ejs23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 1,846
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetheham View Post
I am anticipating the best big game player (Toews) to prove once again why he is the best at what he does. Just like in 2010.

Then, you know, lead his team to a repeat Cup win.
if i remember correctly, it's Crosby that scored "the golden goal." you know, after he split 4 defenders, got his own rebound and played a little give & go to win the game, and the gold, in OT.

here's a link to a you tube video of it for anyone who mistakenly thinks it was Toews who did that. The Golden Goal - YouTube

enjoy

and before this thread gets hijacked and turned into another "Crosby sucks" thread... let's just remember this is the first time in 4 seasons he's been healthy. he's running away with the Hart and Art Ross, he's led a roster full of AHL'ers to the most wins (tied with ANA) so far this season & he'll likely captain team Canada to another Gold. but yeah, he sucks.

Last edited by ejs23; 01-09-2014 at 01:51 AM.
ejs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:52 AM   #58 (permalink)
Member
 
thetheham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 420
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejs23 View Post
if i remember correctly, it's Crosby that scored "the golden goal." you know, after he split 4 defenders, got his own rebound and played a little give & go to win the game, and the gold, in OT.

here's a link to a you tube video of it for anyone who mistakenly thinks it was Toews who did that. The Golden Goal - YouTube

enjoy
Ah, the "golden goal". A byproduct of all the work Toews did shutting down everybody he was centered against. I mean, winning "best forward" in the tourney, Toews did, btw, and having Holland and Babcock proclaiming Toews the best player, surely Crysby should get some recognition after all of the hard work Toews did willing Canada to the gold in a similar fashion to him willing your Champion Blackhawks to two, count em, two Cups.

Its ok, as great a leader Toews is, its what he does. Surely Crysby will listen to Toews this time around and learn what kind of dedication it takes to being a winner. And honestly, I wouldn't blame him one bit. Its Johnathan Toews for crying out loud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejs23 View Post

and before this thread gets hijacked and turned into another "Crosby sucks" thread... let's just remember this is the first time in 4 seasons he's been healthy. he's running away with the Hart and Art Ross, he's led a roster full of AHL'ers to the most wins (tied with ANA) so far this season & he'll likely captain team Canada to another Gold. but yeah, he sucks.
And chances are he wont get past the Bruins....yet again.(thumbs up)

Last edited by thetheham; 01-09-2014 at 01:54 AM.
thetheham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:33 AM   #59 (permalink)
Member
 
LGBuffalo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 653
Default

I think it's interesting that each country really seemed to put a lot into the "team" concept when selecting players. There were a great deal of quality players that were snubbed and at some point, seemed like a lock to make their squad. I think Canada is probably the most stacked talent-wise, but the Swedish are probably the most balanced. I've got gold for Sweden, Silver for Canada, Bronze for the US, and a Miss Congeniality finish for the Russians.
LGBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:54 AM   #60 (permalink)
Member
 
ncm7772's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Upstate, NY
Posts: 1,084
Default

I've never seen homerism to such a stunningly dumbfounding amount like I've seen in this thread.
__________________
#1 Collection : Barrasso
#2 Collection : Ron Hextall
Other : Crosby, Wregget, Malkin
NEED RON HEXTALL SPGU LETTER MARKS!!!
ncm7772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:09 AM   #61 (permalink)
Member
 
LGBuffalo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 653
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetheham View Post
Ah, the "golden goal". A byproduct of all the work Toews did shutting down everybody he was centered against. I mean, winning "best forward" in the tourney, Toews did, btw, and having Holland and Babcock proclaiming Toews the best player, surely Crysby should get some recognition after all of the hard work Toews did willing Canada to the gold in a similar fashion to him willing your Champion Blackhawks to two, count em, two Cups.

Its ok, as great a leader Toews is, its what he does. Surely Crysby will listen to Toews this time around and learn what kind of dedication it takes to being a winner. And honestly, I wouldn't blame him one bit. Its Johnathan Toews for crying out loud.


And chances are he wont get past the Bruins....yet again.(thumbs up)
While I really like Toews, I think you're really over-rating him. I know this isn't an extension of the Crosby vs. Toews thread, but the truth of the matter is there is no one within any hockey circle that would agree with you. He might be one of the most complete players in the game and an excellent leader, but there are several players that most people would start their franchise with, and Toews wouldn't be on the top of that list.
LGBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:11 PM   #62 (permalink)
Member
 
ejs23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 1,846
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetheham View Post
Ah, the "golden goal". A byproduct of all the work Toews did shutting down everybody he was centered against. I mean, winning "best forward" in the tourney, Toews did, btw, and having Holland and Babcock proclaiming Toews the best player, surely Crysby should get some recognition after all of the hard work Toews did willing Canada to the gold in a similar fashion to him willing your Champion Blackhawks to two, count em, two Cups.

And chances are he wont get past the Bruins....yet again.(thumbs up)

here's the big difference... being selected as the "best forward" is something that's subjective. it could have easily been Iginla, Crosby or another.

but noting who scored the game & gold medal winning goal is completely objective. there's no debate... Crosby made the play and scored the goal.

Crosby finished with 7 points, 1 point behind Toews... but Crosby had 4 goals, 2 of them game winners, to Toews' 1 goal.

and again, the league hasn't seen a healthy Crosby for years....



Quote:
Originally Posted by LGBuffalo View Post
While I really like Toews, I think you're really over-rating him. I know this isn't an extension of the Crosby vs. Toews thread, but the truth of the matter is there is no one within any hockey circle that would agree with you. He might be one of the most complete players in the game and an excellent leader, but there are several players that most people would start their franchise with, and Toews wouldn't be on the top of that list.
no one outside of Chicago would agree with him... and even most of them know better.

if the Pens offered up Crosby for Toews, straight up, tomorrow, Chicago would wet themselves over it.

and, for the record, i think Toews is a great player... but he's no Crosby.

Last edited by ejs23; 01-09-2014 at 12:31 PM.
ejs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:33 PM   #63 (permalink)
Member
 
ncm7772's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Upstate, NY
Posts: 1,084
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejs23 View Post
here's the big difference... being selected as the "best forward" is something that's subjective. it could have easily been Iginla, Crosby or another.

but noting who scored the game & gold medal winning goal is completely objective. there's no debate... Crosby made the play and scored the goal.

Crosby finished with 7 points, 1 point behind Toews... but Crosby had 4 goals, 2 of them game winners, to Toews' 1 goal.
His response will invariably come back to the 2 Cups the Hawks have won (which is outstanding, the team did deserve them). And then type "Crysby" a lot. And yes, I also think Toews (as well as Kane and Keith) is an outstanding 2-way player and leader. But, c'mon.........

He might even throw in a personal attack on you. And probably me for typing this. No sense arguing with a homer on a message board!
__________________
#1 Collection : Barrasso
#2 Collection : Ron Hextall
Other : Crosby, Wregget, Malkin
NEED RON HEXTALL SPGU LETTER MARKS!!!
ncm7772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:04 PM   #64 (permalink)
Member
 
LGBuffalo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 653
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejs23 View Post
here's the big difference... being selected as the "best forward" is something that's subjective. it could have easily been Iginla, Crosby or another.

but noting who scored the game & gold medal winning goal is completely objective. there's no debate... Crosby made the play and scored the goal.

Crosby finished with 7 points, 1 point behind Toews... but Crosby had 4 goals, 2 of them game winners, to Toews' 1 goal.

and again, the league hasn't seen a healthy Crosby for years....





no one outside of Chicago would agree with him... and even most of them know better.

if the Pens offered up Crosby for Toews, straight up, tomorrow, Chicago would wet themselves over it.

and, for the record, i think Toews is a great player... but he's no Crosby.
To be honest, I can't think of one current NHL'er that a team wouldn't trade Crosby for straight-up. There just isn't anyone in the league that can do what he does, and as consistently as he does it. To be honest, I've never really liked him, as his whining and such really made it difficult for me to root for him. However, with age and experience, he's improved in those ways and really has proven himself (when healthy) to be worthy of the hype he received in his draft year.
LGBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:56 PM   #65 (permalink)
Member
 
ejs23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 1,846
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncm7772 View Post
His response will invariably come back to the 2 Cups the Hawks have won (which is outstanding, the team did deserve them). And then type "Crysby" a lot. And yes, I also think Toews (as well as Kane and Keith) is an outstanding 2-way player and leader. But, c'mon.........
and that's why it's hard to take him seriously.

like you, i'm happy to acknowledge the the Blackhawks are an outstanding organization and Toews is a great player.

but when the response to that is to call him "Crysby," then you can't really have a legitimate discussion/debate.



Quote:
Originally Posted by LGBuffalo View Post
To be honest, I can't think of one current NHL'er that a team wouldn't trade Crosby for straight-up. There just isn't anyone in the league that can do what he does, and as consistently as he does it.
agreed. and i think that's a powerful point.


but i don't want to derail this thread... so back on topic. some Netherlands based company has projected Canada to finish 7th.

"Sweden (2013 world champion) is projected to win the Olympic menís hockey gold in Sochi.

The other top-ranked countries, in order, were Russia (2012 world champion), Finland, Switerzerland, the Czech Republic, the United States, Canada and Slovakia."

Sochi 2014: Canadian men's Olympic hockey team projected to finish seventh? | Toronto Star

seems absurd.
ejs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 03:10 PM   #66 (permalink)
Member
 
ncm7772's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Upstate, NY
Posts: 1,084
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejs23 View Post
seems absurd.
Beyond absurd!
__________________
#1 Collection : Barrasso
#2 Collection : Ron Hextall
Other : Crosby, Wregget, Malkin
NEED RON HEXTALL SPGU LETTER MARKS!!!
ncm7772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 04:22 PM   #67 (permalink)
Member
 
TASS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: RI
Posts: 4,687
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanieTheMan View Post
Looks like someone is still a bit butt hurt over the outcome of the NHL Finals last Summer!
Not at all SeanieTheBoy as I don't recall mentioning my team in this thread, but will admit it get's just a little annoying when someone continues to mention his teams success even though that has nothing to do with this thread on the Olympics

But since you brought it up I will say that 2 Cup appearance's in the last 3 seasons with one (2011) producing a Stanley Cup is something I know I am proud of!

Back to the actual thread some of these predictions from overseas are comical at best, what I do find interesting is how much attention Russia is starting to get as far as potential Gold. I do see them being a contender but not for the Gold IMO.

Looking a little deeper into the rosters I am starting to like the USA and their potential as they have a very experienced defense with above average goaltending and I know they are going to be able to score some goals!
__________________
solt0131 "I told you guys before the Pens as they are aren't as good as the Bruins and can't beat them."
TASS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:47 PM   #68 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,786
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetheham View Post
Like in 2010? When he was named best forward?



Well, you have the best two way forward in the NHL (Toews), the best defenseman in the NHL (Keith) and currently the best goal scorer in the NHL (Sharp), hmm.....






I am anticipating the best big game player (Toews) to prove once again why he is the best at what he does. Just like in 2010.

Then, you know, lead his team to a repeat Cup win.


Winning, just never gets old, it seems.


May have been best forward but when I seen the game, The star of the team scored the game winning goal to beat USA.
Wolves4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:43 AM   #69 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,786
Default

Shame that MSL is replacing Stamkos and IMO a better player like Giroux gets left off. Giroux has been a star in this league since he came in, IMO MSL only in cause head of Canada Hockey also works for Lightning.
Wolves4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:02 PM   #70 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Centreville, Md
Posts: 1,530
Default

If I was an NHL owner I would allow any of my players to go into that cluster F they are calling the olympics. The IOC is insanely corrupt and if this isnt proof IO dont know what is.
callou2131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:54 PM   #71 (permalink)
Member
 
ejs23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 1,846
Default

These projected lines for Canada are just sick (assuming St Louis is slotted where Stamkos was going to be... which would have been even crazier).

St Louis is a decent choice, should have been James Neal though.

i could see this 3rd line doing some serious damage.

Kunitz - Crosby - St. Louis
Sharp - Toews - Carter
Benn - Getzlaf - Perry
Marleau - Tavares - Nash

Russia's top line should be fun to watch as well with Ovechkin - Malkin - Semin
ejs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:55 PM   #72 (permalink)
Member
 
ejs23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 1,846
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by callou2131 View Post
If I was an NHL owner I would allow any of my players to go into that cluster F they are calling the olympics. The IOC is insanely corrupt and if this isnt proof IO dont know what is.
seriously. they need to stop putting the Olympics in these hell holes. it's going to be the same thing in Brazil in a couple of years.
ejs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:39 PM   #73 (permalink)
223
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 626
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejs23 View Post
Russia's top line should be fun to watch as well with Ovechkin - Malkin - Semin
Semin was originally left of the team. He was just added as an injury replacement. I don't see how he can go from being what amounts to a healthy scratch to 1st line player.

Kovalchuk will play on that line.
223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 06:20 PM   #74 (permalink)
Member
 
Craig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ridgeway, ON
Posts: 1,504
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncm7772 View Post
I've never seen homerism to such a stunningly dumbfounding amount like I've seen in this thread.
In his defense, the Pens' homers are just as bad if not worse. To read the comments here, you'd think Crosby had won 10 consecutive Hart trophies and the Pens are on a championship run.

Sure, there's homerism, but it's not limited to a certain Chicago fan.
Craig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:45 PM   #75 (permalink)
Member
 
rippit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Monroeville, PA
Posts: 691
Default

Didn't this thread used to be about the Olympics before Paula Deen chimed in? Oh yeah, so back to that...

The chances for a US medal are looking better and better - every other medal contender besides Russia has taken a serious hit this week. Canada lost Stamkos, and even though they have a deeper field to choose from than anyone else, you just cannot replace that goal scoring, especially on the power play. Sweden lost Henrik Sedin, and even though a lot of people hate on him he is an excellent playmaker and probably would have been Sweden's #1 center. Even Finland lost Mikko Koivu, and they were thin at forward to begin with.

I was also thinking about this - how can Russia's power play be stopped? Take a penalty against them and you're looking a unit most likely made up of Ovechkin, Datsyuk, Malkin and Kovalchuk. And with the games being played in Russia, you just know they're going to get a fair amount of power plays. Be afraid...be very afraid.
rippit is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright © 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.