Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2014, 02:11 AM   #26 (permalink)

Love the idea of this product, great looking cards and amazing checklist of players you don't see in many other company brands. I have to ask though Doc, I get it's a marketing thing, but for some reason this strikes a cord:

"Let’s face it, it is easy to acquire an old hockey card brand produced in the 1990s, use similar designs and make cards of the same players you just released in your last six products.

It doesn’t take too much creativity to do that.

But in this day and age, to come up with a concept that has never been done before, well that takes a combination of creativity, some great memorabilia and a love for the game."

Pretty much your standard marketing ploy to draw in collectors which we see from every company, but you take a "pot shot" at the other companies by pretty much saying they never do anything new or unique, and use the same players over and over. If you look at the ITG checklists, especially BTP, it's the same players in every set whether it's BTP or ITG Ultimate year after year. And, another card company has had an insert set called Tape To Tape in their products every year since 2010/11 but you used the exact same name for one of your sets in Stickwork.

Let's be fair and call it what it is, all the card companies do exactly what your marketing info claims, including ITG. So in a sense, you are taking a pot shot at your own company as well, no?
CrownCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:03 AM   #27 (permalink)

this is why we need ITG to get that NHL license.... that'll open it up.
ejs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:43 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownCollector View Post
Love the idea of this product, great looking cards and amazing checklist of players you don't see in many other company brands. I have to ask though Doc, I get it's a marketing thing, but for some reason this strikes a cord:

"Letís face it, it is easy to acquire an old hockey card brand produced in the 1990s, use similar designs and make cards of the same players you just released in your last six products.

It doesnít take too much creativity to do that.

But in this day and age, to come up with a concept that has never been done before, well that takes a combination of creativity, some great memorabilia and a love for the game."

Pretty much your standard marketing ploy to draw in collectors which we see from every company, but you take a "pot shot" at the other companies by pretty much saying they never do anything new or unique, and use the same players over and over. If you look at the ITG checklists, especially BTP, it's the same players in every set whether it's BTP or ITG Ultimate year after year. And, another card company has had an insert set called Tape To Tape in their products every year since 2010/11 but you used the exact same name for one of your sets in Stickwork.

Let's be fair and call it what it is, all the card companies do exactly what your marketing info claims, including ITG. So in a sense, you are taking a pot shot at your own company as well, no?
I'm pretty sure it's directed at the Certified/Prizm/Select more shiny stuff line of thought as those are essentially the same cards of the same player repackaged. It's making the same players over and over and over again in a current year that oversaturates the market.

I mean that's the industry. Player X gets his card year after year. Topps made a Mickey Mantle '52 then in '53. Year after year is the standard. It's the whole 20 release in one calendar year that's killing the market.

It would be weird if BTP had different players now wouldn't it. yet it remains one of the best sets out there for goalie collectors.

It's nice to see distributors and collectors vote with their wallet and say "yes, give us something cool by a company that loves the game over mass-produced shiny stuff". It's awesome to see collectors wanting true vintage pieces of hockey over multi-colored double RC class pieces.

Maybe just maybe we can save our piece of the industry after all.
"So hard-signed Autograph Cards without nasty redemptions isnít that difficult to do. You just have to want to do it for your collectors"---Price 3:16
Rinkwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 01:13 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejs23 View Post
this is why we need ITG to get that NHL license.... that'll open it up.
Amen, their licensed products in the early 00's put everyone else to shame. Would love to see a high end licensed ITG set to rival Cup and Dominion, it wouldn't even be close.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:20 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinkwraith View Post
I'm pretty sure it's directed at the Certified/Prizm/Select more shiny stuff line of thought as those are essentially the same cards of the same player repackaged. It's making the same players over and over and over again in a current year that oversaturates the market.

I mean that's the industry. Player X gets his card year after year. Topps made a Mickey Mantle '52 then in '53. Year after year is the standard. It's the whole 20 release in one calendar year that's killing the market.

It would be weird if BTP had different players now wouldn't it. yet it remains one of the best sets out there for goalie collectors.

It's nice to see distributors and collectors vote with their wallet and say "yes, give us something cool by a company that loves the game over mass-produced shiny stuff". It's awesome to see collectors wanting true vintage pieces of hockey over multi-colored double RC class pieces.

Maybe just maybe we can save our piece of the industry after all.
I hear you and agree on all accounts. My only point was taking pot shots at another company when you do the exact same thing is pretty crazy. He is guilty of what he's slamming the other companies for, to the point of even copying one of their set names and using it in his product. Don't get me wrong, the guy is a pioneer in the hobby in many regards and if it was a level playing field I think he could put the other companies to shame on a set vs set basis. I know he's a fan/collector first, his PC is stunning and his customer service is top notch. But, it's the old "Don't throw stones when you live in a glass house" scenario on this one.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:40 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
I hear you and agree on all accounts. My only point was taking pot shots at another company when you do the exact same thing is pretty crazy. He is guilty of what he's slamming the other companies for, to the point of even copying one of their set names and using it in his product. Don't get me wrong, the guy is a pioneer in the hobby in many regards and if it was a level playing field I think he could put the other companies to shame on a set vs set basis. I know he's a fan/collector first, his PC is stunning and his customer service is top notch. But, it's the old "Don't throw stones when you live in a glass house" scenario on this one.
I get where you're coming from but "tape to tape" is a pretty common hockey term and imho it makes more sense name-wise with the actual product being named T2T in stickwork (dual tape of 2 different players) than a single-signed tape card. Now if it were "Mammoth" patches or "Engravatures" then yes, I'd scoff a bit too.

And I know it doesn't sit with everyone, but I still enjoy the occasional stone, it shows passion for the sport. And I like passionate companies in my hockey hobby unlike other companies who know little about it.
"So hard-signed Autograph Cards without nasty redemptions isnít that difficult to do. You just have to want to do it for your collectors"---Price 3:16
Old 02-14-2014, 01:54 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinkwraith View Post
I get where you're coming from but "tape to tape" is a pretty common hockey term and imho it makes more sense name-wise with the actual product being named T2T in stickwork (dual tape of 2 different players) than a single-signed tape card. Now if it were "Mammoth" patches or "Engravatures" then yes, I'd scoff a bit too.

And I know it doesn't sit with everyone, but I still enjoy the occasional stone, it shows passion for the sport. And I like passionate companies in my hockey hobby unlike other companies who know little about it.
I'm with you, and I still want ITG to get a license and level the playing field for everyone. My only concern is if they do end up with a license again, we may lose some of the content that has made ITG an elite brand. You could kiss a product like Enforcers goodbye, it's not everyone's cup of tea but there are plenty of collectors who love that set and want to see it done every year.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:03 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm with you, and I still want ITG to get a license and level the playing field for everyone. My only concern is if they do end up with a license again, we may lose some of the content that has made ITG an elite brand. You could kiss a product like Enforcers goodbye, it's not everyone's cup of tea but there are plenty of collectors who love that set and want to see it done every year.
Oh I totally agree with you there. I hate the NHL's "no fighting in cards" provision.

What I do think the NHL needs to go back to is what they had in place in years past limiting the amount of releases in a given year. I'd love to see them tell UD, Panini, and ITG "okay boys, no more than 7 releases per year each, good luck". I would love to see that level playing field! That would be a fun hockey card industry for us all.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:46 AM   #34 (permalink)
Manufacturer

Pack out is almost complete.

The product is on time for the February 27th Release Date.

Good luck with your breaks, this product was a lot of fun to make.

Brian Price
bprice is offline   Reply With Quote