Blowout Cards Forums
Holiday Madness

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2014, 03:54 PM   #26 (permalink)

This is terrible news guys and girls. Competition breeds success, in this industry especially. Whether you liked Panini or not, they pushed upper deck to be better. I personally loved dominion and prime.
Ballerskrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:55 PM   #27 (permalink)

Two humorous parts to the Beckett story....
“The players are excited about the direction Upper Deck is taking NHL trading cards – not only in product development and collectability – but also in adapting to the needs of an ever-evolving hobby and retail landscape,” said Adam Larry, NHLPA Director of Licensing.
I can see it now, all the players are in one room and the room is abuzz with players talking about Upper Deck and their cards. Honesly, would most players be able to tell you who Upper Deck is?

This creates an exclusive in three of the four major sports. Topps has exclusive with MLB, Panini with the NBA and now Upper Deck with the NHL. The licensors tend to go with one company because it’s easier to manage one license rather than multiple ones.
Except for football and isn't football the sport where the teams make the most money? What do they know right?
byronscott4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:28 PM   #28 (permalink)

i know that it seems obvious that competition is better for the consumer... but has that proven to be the case here?

there was some token competition in the NHL and NFL card market, but none in the MLB and NBA markets. is there any noticeable difference?

prices seem to be about the same, card designs are similar, lots of stickers and redemptions and endless parallels.

i'm not sure an exclusive is any worse than the supposed competition between 2 companies which operate about the same. to really see an improvement in the market driven by competition it would have to open up wider... allow companies like ITG, Leaf, Press Pass and anyone else to get a crack at it.
ejs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:09 PM   #29 (permalink)

Competition is the backbone of this country. This isn't a telecom monopoly for convenience sake...we're talking about hockey cards. How hard is it to collect multiple checks from companies wanting to put photos of your players on cardboard? Not to mention, you've just decreased your sport's exposure to the public by one, very rich, very global, company. Whether you liked Panini hockey cards or not, exclusives (sport & player) are terrible for our industry.
cardbored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 06:06 PM   #30 (permalink)

I am in kinda the medium here...saying I am SOOOOO Glad Panini is gone but i wish ITG got their license instead but we will to see how UD does though
Unrealface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 11:48 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardbored View Post
Competition is the backbone of this country. This isn't a telecom monopoly for convenience sake...we're talking about hockey cards. How hard is it to collect multiple checks from companies wanting to put photos of your players on cardboard? Not to mention, you've just decreased your sport's exposure to the public by one, very rich, very global, company. Whether you liked Panini hockey cards or not, exclusives (sport & player) are terrible for our industry.
i know some collectors are upset by UD's exclusive with the NHL... but I still haven't heard why. i just keep hearing the same hypotheticals...competition is good, exclusives are bad. but, in this case, i don't see the evidence of that.

MLB is exclusive with Topps... the NFL has competition with Topps and Panini. what's the significant difference between the 2 markets?

to get true competition you'd have to open it up to multiple companies, including those that are small and hungry for market share.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:17 AM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejs23 View Post
MLB is exclusive with Topps... the NFL has competition with Topps and Panini. what's the significant difference between the 2
Choice. Period.

http://s915.photobucket.com/user/Ifeature/library/ - Lower end Hits & RCs on COMC
smalltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 12:36 AM   #33 (permalink)

Totally Certified and Dominion were some of the more fun products I've opened this year. I prefer the sets UD puts out for collecting, but Panini was more fun busting.
longbomberz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 12:36 AM   #34 (permalink)

Refresh my memory
was ud that bad with their exculsive before punini got a contract
did they release a product almost every week like topps does

:jedi::jedi::jedi:
natbornkiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:08 AM   #35 (permalink)

Well the official word from the PA is:

"NHLPA: It was really looking at the calendars and products and we were hearing there may have been too many products out there and a flooding of the market. Upper Deck will speak to their release calendar in 2014-15 but there will definitely be less brands coming out."

Seems like they thought there were just too many releases coming out. Im guessing the players were complaining that panini kept dogging them to sign autographs and wanted to only have to sign for one company.

anusinha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:23 AM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anusinha View Post

"NHLPA: It was really looking at the calendars and products and we were hearing there may have been too many products out there and a flooding of the market. Upper Deck will speak to their release calendar in 2014-15 but there will definitely be less brands coming out."

Seems like they thought there were just too many releases coming out. Im guessing the players were complaining that panini kept dogging them to sign autographs and wanted to only have to sign for one company.
Based on how many redemptions were in Panini products ,I think the players had already 'written off' Panini and their obligations to signing.

I have not bought Panini for years and am happy with the UD products I do buy and will still pick up some of the staple ITG products, so this is a positive IMO!
Old 02-28-2014, 09:38 AM   #37 (permalink)

Major disaster nothing else for all collectors .. UD is a big pile of garbage really go to hell!.. hashes out same old boring sets year after year what i do would like is Itg to get a license that would rock but they still manage to produce the most interesting sets with players like ud never will so to hell with them....
mortuus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:44 AM   #38 (permalink)

"Whilst we were absolutely blazing a buzz with our pioneering traits at a blistering pace, the buzz reverberating was we were toast. Even with our juicy new tweaks, delicious new chases and manifold greatness we need to focus our preview gaze firmly on our timely execution."

Panini blog writer Feb 28/2014
ZappBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:53 AM   #39 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZappBrannigan View Post
"Whilst we were absolutely burning down all hockey values with our pioneering mass production print machines running at a blistering pace, the buzz reverberating was we were toast. Even with our juicy new redemptions, delicious new pricepoints in 3 months and manifold egoism, we need to focus our preview gaze firmly on our knowing anything about the sport we make cards of."

Panini blog writer Feb 28/2014
He had a couple typos.......
Rinkwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:04 PM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anusinha View Post

So they chose the company notorious for not paying their bills on time?
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:44 PM   #41 (permalink)

it's very unlikely that the NHL and NHLPA decided they wanted less money. so UD must have paid up big to get the exclusive. that means UD will have to step up and put out products collectors want to justify that expense.

i know i'm in the minority, but contrary to what most believe i think this might not be such a bad thing. we may see the revival of some cool products. it may be easier to get players to sign since Panini won't be inundating them.

of course i think it would have been far better to open the market wider... especially to include ITG. but i don't think Panini alone provided that competitive free market innovation everyone imagines it did.

time will tell.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:06 PM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
it's very unlikely that the NHL and NHLPA decided they wanted less money. so UD must have paid up big to get the exclusive. that means UD will have to step up and put out products collectors want to justify that expense.

i know i'm in the minority, but contrary to what most believe i think this might not be such a bad thing. we may see the revival of some cool products. it may be easier to get players to sign since Panini won't be inundating them.

of course i think it would have been far better to open the market wider... especially to include ITG. but i don't think Panini alone provided that competitive free market innovation everyone imagines it did.

time will tell.
Well, they're doing MVP again as a stand-alone, which isn't a good start to getting higher quality products.
rippit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:02 PM   #43 (permalink)

My favorite thing is to open older cases and I love that Panini honors the expired redemptions (not that I like redemptions). IMO this is horrible. Let's hope that this means that UD will have less redemptions in their product.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:47 PM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
i know some collectors are upset by UD's exclusive with the NHL... but I still haven't heard why. i just keep hearing the same hypotheticals...competition is good, exclusives are bad. but, in this case, i don't see the evidence of that.
Reduction in variety of products and brands, for one.

I loved the Topps Heritage hockey sets that came out from 2000-2003, for example. But those stopped when Topps lost their license.
mfw13 is offline   Reply With Quote