Blowout Cards Forums

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2014, 09:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default Panthers get No. 1 pick and draft questions

Okay, let's have some actual hockey talk;

The Panthers jumped over the Sabres and have the #1 pick in this year's draft, but after drafting Huberdeau/Barkov really have no need for Reinhart/Bennet and really should draft Ekblad to shore up their defense. This leaves Reinhart to the Sabres at #2.

Bigger question is Islanders at #5, as you have to surrender either this year's pick or next year's pick (potential McDavid sweepstakes) to the Sabres. Some might say #5 is too high to give away, but if top 4 sweeps Ekblad/Reinhart/Bennet/Draisatl off the board then maybe it's worth keeping your pick for next year intact.

1) Who do you draft at #1 as the Panthers or do you trade it?
2) Do you keep your pick this year as an Islander or let the Sabres have it?

Discuss.
Rinkwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:30 AM   #2 (permalink)

As a Sabres fan, I had a feeling they would not get the #1 pick last night...

If they select Bennett or Reinhart, I'm happy...
I live in Rochester, so chances are whomever they pick will see time with the Amerks next season.

I was hoping that somehow the Islanders would find themselves in the top 3 picks, so they'd be forced to keep it.

My understanding is that this years draft is not deep as next years and there is a significant drop off after this years top 3 picks.

I think they will send #5 to Buffalo this year in hopes of tanking next year.
jmarascojr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

Don't care what the Isles do, but can you honestly see them prolonging giving up their pick with a supposed better draft class next year? But then again, they could use reverse psychology and tell their fans,"we are making the playoffs so next years pick will be in the double digits so we are keeping the pick this year" I would say give it up this year and get that memory behind you ASAP.
I pull scrubs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 01:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

Islanders 100% should give up their draft pick this year with the possibity of selecting THEE Mcdavid next year.

And Florida, I feel no matter what they do, they'll be like the Oilers. LOL
sportstrader14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 01:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

Do they have to make the decision before or until they pick. If for some reason Ekblad drops to five, I take him, otherwise I surrender the pick.
frozenntimesports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 01:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenntimesports View Post
Do they have to make the decision before or until they pick. If for some reason Ekblad drops to five, I take him, otherwise I surrender the pick.
I'd have to believe Florida will take Ekblad #1. They are pretty set up the middle with Barkov, Huberdeau, Bjugstad. I've been thinking about what the Isles do for quite a while. Snow put them in quite the predicament here... I really can't see the Islanders being a playoff team in 1 year's time losing Moulson/Vanek and MacDonald on the back end. I also am not quite sure that they're a bottom feeder with a healthy Tavares and the emergence of Okposo as the legit scoring threat they have been looking for out of him for the last few years. If I'm Snow I probably hang on to the 5 spot this year and roll the dice on next season...
msuspartans87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 01:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenntimesports View Post
Snow has until 6/1 to decide what to do.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

All in all, I was disappointed that the year of miserable hockey ended with the #2 pick, but, they only had a 25% chance of getting first overall anyway. I do agree with the OP that the Panthers really seem like a likely destination for Ekblad, which pleases me greatly. I've been on the Reinhart bandwagon all year, so as long as Buffalo has the shot at the forward of their choice, I'm all for it.

In terms of the Islanders situation, I think they'll pick this year and defer to next. Even though the top of next year's draft is much better than this one, management is not going to send the message to their players and fans that they plan to be rancid next year, thus conceding the pick will be higher. It's really not good PR nor sports psychology. Of course, as a Sabres fan, I would love for Buffalo to have #2 and #5 this year, even in a down draft, but I just don't see it happening.
LGBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 02:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

looks like it will be reinhart
MW Connection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 02:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGBuffalo View Post

In terms of the Islanders situation, I think they'll pick this year and defer to next. Even though the top of next year's draft is much better than this one, management is not going to send the message to their players and fans that they plan to be rancid next year, thus conceding the pick will be higher. It's really not good PR nor sports psychology. Of course, as a Sabres fan, I would love for Buffalo to have #2 and #5 this year, even in a down draft, but I just don't see it happening.
See, here's the fun thing as a Sabres fan, if Isles defer until next year, the Sabres will have 3 first round picks (Sabres, Isles, Blues) next year which if they don't win #1 pick outright, puts them in great shape to trade up into it.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

who does reinhart compare too? Is he as solid of a prospect as Mackinnon
MW Connection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 03:20 PM   #12 (permalink)

Ok i would say Fl should either draft Defense or trade the pick and get some other needs. They need lots to get the team back in the right direction. But they also need to get some sort of flashy player to attract fans to the games. with the team in sunrise it's just to far for many people in Miami to travel. So if you can get that player like a Stamkos, Crosby etc that will bring more in. I just don't see that in this draft. The sabers have so many options right now and pick 2 in this draft is not a bad pick. plus they have a few other picks right ?
Old 04-16-2014, 03:28 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW Connection View Post
looks like it will be reinhart
If you're referring to Florida picking Reinhart, I'll disagree. The Panthers have a glut of talented forwards, and defense is where their pipeline is lacking. Being that the top-3 are relatively interchangeable, with Ekblad probably being the best of the bunch, it would surprise me if they didn't take him.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:30 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinkwraith View Post
See, here's the fun thing as a Sabres fan, if Isles defer until next year, the Sabres will have 3 first round picks (Sabres, Isles, Blues) next year which if they don't win #1 pick outright, puts them in great shape to trade up into it.
Agreed. I do like the fact that management totally committed to a rebuild. Thus, they staved off the dreaded 2007 summer again. (Briere and Drury) In so doing, they've acquired quite a gluttony of picks. The other interesting thing is the 2014 1st round pick of St. Louis' depending on the conditions being met. I really hope that they finish last next year as well, giving them a guarantee at McDavid or Eichel. Being able to pair one of those guys with Reinhart or Bennett, will make 2 years of absolute horror feel much more worth it.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:39 PM   #15 (permalink)

Rumor has it that Ryan Callahan and Brian Gionta would be willing to give Buffalo a "hometown" discount, both being from the Rochester area...

If you are Buffalo, do you sign one or both?
Doing so would benefit the team but then possibly (probably) take them out of a Top 2 pick next year...

And I do not foresee someone in the Top 2 next year trading out, but who knows...
Old 04-17-2014, 10:38 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarascojr View Post
Rumor has it that Ryan Callahan and Brian Gionta would be willing to give Buffalo a "hometown" discount, both being from the Rochester area...

If you are Buffalo, do you sign one or both?
Doing so would benefit the team but then possibly (probably) take them out of a Top 2 pick next year...

And I do not foresee someone in the Top 2 next year trading out, but who knows...
I know there is a lot of talk surrounding Callahan, and I have to say that I would be on board with that very much. I've always loved the way he plays, although a long-term contract might not be in the team's best interest given his playing style. I haven't heard anything in regards to Gionta, but a former captain in a hockey hot bed wouldn't hurt anything either.

The only thing that I wouldn't like as much, and I know it sounds like an absurd comment, but I would hate to see them be this bad this year, knowing next year could be the same, and have them be out of a great lottery shot at McDavid or Eichel. I know that two guys wouldn't be the difference of high lottery pick and the play-offs, but they might be enough to put them in that 5-7 range, and that just wouldn't justify the terribad hockey they're set up for and the future rewards therein.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:19 PM   #17 (permalink)

^^^ I agree, I do not see adding Callahan and Gionta making them a playoff contender, BUT it should definitely put them in the 5-10 area draft pick wise...

While Callahan is relatively young, I believe Gionta is getting up there in age hockey wise, where as McDavid and Eichel are "babies" and you'd have them for a much longer time in their pre prime and prime years.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:03 PM   #18 (permalink)

Gotta think it will go:

Ekblad
Reinhart
Bennett

or a mix of the 3 in the top 3.

Therefore I would let go the #5 if I'm the Islanders.....but that's never an easy call I suppose.
Oilers1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 04:01 PM   #19 (permalink)

If I'm Florida, I'd pick Ekblad. Nice complement to Hubz and Barkov. D take a bit longer and they still need to get a goaltending prospect pronto.

Buffalo might go with Draisaitl, mainly to be top LW. Also, don't sign any UFAs. Tank another year or two. Get the high picks to build around. Sign Gionta if they're able to trade away Leino's contract. Also depends if they can reach the cap floor.

Whoever Edm picks is in a tough situation. Most likely it will be a forward, barring making a trade to get Ekblad. With the #3 pick, you're filling the #2C spot that will become vacant when Gagner takes off as a UFA. If Reinhart/Bennett proves to be a solid #1C, then Nugent Hopkins is an overpaid #2C (and eventually he won't be happy).

Calgary will have a few options. Reinhart or Bennett or Dal Colle. All solid picks.

NYI might have no choice but to give up this pick, despite being so high. Given the new draft format, the pick next year could turn into McDavid, which would skew that trade even further. This is just a bone headed trade by Snow. If they keep it, they have to make the playoffs for sure next year to be safe, which is highly doubtful.

Regardless, Buffalo will be ecstatic to pick #5 and pick up Bennett or Reinhart if one drops to #5.

Canucks were delusional enough to think they actually had a chance of making the playoffs in the last month of the season. If they had thrown in the towel, they could have had a pick as high as #4. With #6, I think they're outside of the stronger picks. I'm guessing Nylander is going to get the most consideration. Gradin probably scouting him like crazy. Talented but a bit of a puck hog, from what I hear.
tiger tiger is offline   Reply With Quote