Blowout Cards Forums
New Categories

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2014, 02:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default sketchy seller at card show

As unlikely as that may be I'm saying that in the sheer numbers sense, that out of 100, 5 people will be sketchy, not a jab at independent sellers in any way whatsoever. I've dealt independently numerous times and have had nothing bad to say whatsoever. This was much different I believe.

I went with my girlfriend yesterday to the bimonthly card show in Columbus OH. Mostly 'vintage' baseball, a decent amount of football, a less than decent amount of basketball, and an even lesser amount of hockey.

In terms of hockey, there were two tables that had any in stock whatsoever. The first the guy had maybe? 10 wax boxes, most wildly overpriced (he was asking 80$ for 11-12 contenders, but I managed to get him to 75$ on 11-12 SP Authentic. I got nothing noteworthy not worth a box break post imho), and the second guy wearing a Lemieux jersey with a bunch of Pittsburgh singles, a handful of trash singles, and a few jerseys.

One of which was the Pens 3rd. It was a Malkin jersey, and he told me it was used in the winter classic. I asked him if he had a COA and he said "No, but I don't really need one. The blood on the jersey pretty much shows it's legit. Also [turning jersey over and folding it open] it's got the fight strap here, and it's also got this":

http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/a...8.07.29-pm.jpg

It did have the Cutting Edge Sports Laundry Patch in it, which I recognized immediately. It was a size 50 though (and after some internet research, I see Malkin wears a 56), and dude said he'd let me have it for 125$.

It seems weird. I thought I'd ask for thoughts and opinions, he'll be there for at least 4 more hours today if and when I and you think I should cop it.
It didn't feel right though.

Thoughts and comments greatly appreciated.
amdrewrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 02:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

sounds sketchy to me.

first, it seems odd that he'd obtain an item like that without some sort of COA.

and second, if it's legit why is he willing to sell it for only $125? it would be up on ebay for thousands.

just my opinion, but it doesn't sound right.
ejs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 02:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejs23 View Post
sounds sketchy to me.

first, it seems odd that he'd obtain an item like that without some sort of COA.

and second, if it's legit why is he willing to sell it for only $125? it would be up on ebay for thousands.

This. If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.
#1 Collection : Barrasso
#2 Collection : Ron Hextall
Other : Crosby, Wregget, Malkin
NEED RON HEXTALL SPGU LETTER MARKS!!!
ncm7772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 03:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejs23 View Post
sounds sketchy to me.

Which is exactly what I said to my girlfriend and also why I didn't snag it. I guess if anything I'm wondering if he swapped a laundry tag or furthermore whether or not they're available to commoners outside of the organization.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

It's definitely not game used. There's no way a size 50 edge jersey is fitting over shoulder and elbow pads.

I honestly don't even think it's authentic. I have a Edge 2.0 retail that I purchased last June for close to $400. I can't imagine anyone selling one for $125.
Hawks82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 04:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

So whos blood is on the fake? Call the police.
mcgahee21nfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawks82 View Post
It's definitely not game used. There's no way a size 50 edge jersey is fitting over shoulder and elbow pads.

I honestly don't even think it's authentic. I have a Edge 2.0 retail that I purchased last June for close to $400. I can't imagine anyone selling one for $125.
And that's really what I was asking. You can get knock offs on the bay for 65 or so, he put "blood" and a patch not exclusively associated with the team on it and asked double Internet bitcoin. I was unsure whether or not cutting edge patches only appeared on authentic team gear.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:18 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgahee21nfl View Post
So whos blood is on the fake? Call the police.
This. ^^^^
jjsmallvillelvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Nick2317 Send a message via Yahoo to Nick2317

The winter classic jerseys had a winter classic tag in them not a regular tag and they also wore 1 jersey per period ....
Old 05-07-2014, 05:45 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdrewrj View Post
I was unsure whether or not cutting edge patches only appeared on authentic team gear.
Cutting Edge Sports used to do the lettering on Pens jerseys. That's oddly accurate.

The only scenario I could see where there would be a customizer patch on the jersey would be if it was team issued and never used in a game, but a size 50 is ridiculously small...even the smallest guys in the league (think Danny Briere) wouldn't fit in it.

What I would personally look at would be the tags inside of the collar and the elbows. The tags in GU jerseys are often little more than a small white Canadian flag with the size number printed underneath it. The elbows however are always double reinforced.

The elbows are a dead giveaway IMO. Retail jerseys didn't have double elbows when Cutting Edge did the Pens.
Hawks82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:48 PM   #11 (permalink)
k13

Do a dna test..
k13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 06:27 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by k13 View Post
Do a dna test..
I feel getting a comparison sample would be a bit tricky... Lol
jjsmallvillelvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:30 PM   #13 (permalink)

Trying to get rid of evidence and pawning it off to someone as game used sounds a bit morbid, but you never know.