Blowout Cards Forums
Metro Sports Cards

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2014, 07:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Default Exciting new news!!!!!! Leaf enters the hockey market!!!!!

As you may or may not have heard over the weekend, Leaf has entered the hockey market with its announcement this weekend that it will be joining forces with Dr. Prian Price and In The Game to complete more favorably in the Hockey market. This combination in the hockey market will allow ITG/Leaf to fulfill its destiny as the alternative to the NHL exclusive licensed product.

I feel most confident that Leaf's creativity and marketing can take ITG up a notch to a new level. The first product solicted by Leaf (and featuring some revamped designs by Leaf) will be 2014 ITG Draft/Prospects Hockey. This release will be announced later this week.

Get ready for a new era of Hockey form Leaf/ITG. Things are changing and collectors/delaers will now have anbother viable choice to the exclsuive licensee.

I look forward to serving this market, its dealers and collectors.
Brian Gray
Leaf CEO
blowoutcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:42 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowoutcards View Post
As you may or may not have heard over the weekend, Leaf has entered the hockey market with its announcement this weekend that it will be joining forces with Dr. Prian Price and In The Game to complete more favorably in the Hockey market. This combination in the hockey market will allow ITG/Leaf to fulfill its destiny as the alternative to the NHL exclusive licensed product.

I feel most confident that Leaf's creativity and marketing can take ITG up a notch to a new level. The first product solicted by Leaf (and featuring some revamped designs by Leaf) will be 2014 ITG Draft/Prospects Hockey. This release will be announced later this week.

Get ready for a new era of Hockey form Leaf/ITG. Things are changing and collectors/delaers will now have anbother viable choice to the exclsuive licensee.

Brian Gray
Leaf CEO
Licensed?

Also... so many typos.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:56 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:

Brian Gray
Leaf CEO
Quote:
Originally Posted by theRLO View Post
Licensed?
Next question....

Now here's one that I wouldn't know the answer to without reviewing all the contracts regarding this issue, but food for thought;

What prevents Leaf/ITG from buying back 90s Leaf cards (when they had a license) and updating them (autographs) and inserting them in future product?

There were a handful of fun inserts in their 90s brand and if they did a Retro type release, they could be a loophole as it was their IP to begin with.
"So hard-signed Autograph Cards without nasty redemptions isnít that difficult to do. You just have to want to do it for your collectors"---Price 3:16

Shop Smart, Shop Rink-Mart
Rinkwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:36 AM   #4 (permalink)

they can definitely buy them back and reinsert them. interesting question as to whether or not they can update them though.

if there's a way, i'm sure they'll find it.
ejs23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 03:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

Leaf is garbage. It is a failure in basketball and baseball and I'm sure it will fail in hockey.

I PC Stephen Curry
shumpert2190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 03:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

So now I can't buy ITG too? I don't buy Leaf stuff because of Brian Gray...

Can't stand him, now is he going to mess up ITG? I'm done with unlicensed stuff.
benshobbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 04:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinkwraith View Post
Next question....

Now here's one that I wouldn't know the answer to without reviewing all the contracts regarding this issue, but food for thought;

What prevents Leaf/ITG from buying back 90s Leaf cards (when they had a license) and updating them (autographs) and inserting them in future product?

There were a handful of fun inserts in their 90s brand and if they did a Retro type release, they could be a loophole as it was their IP to begin with.
To be fair, Leaf is an alternative to the other sports that have licenses too.... that's why I was asking. It can be taken two ways.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
XL5

Quote:
...Dr. Prian Price...

Brian Gray
Leaf CEO
"There's only room for one Brian in this press release."
--Brian Gray, Leaf CEO
Old 05-05-2014, 04:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

Why would Dr. Price deal with this shoe salesman.
chezball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:32 PM   #10 (permalink)

Repackaging old lame flea market Leaf cards in a box with a dumbarse price tag and that's exciting news? The History of Hockey version 2? Who can get excited about that. The only advantage for ITG is that their horribly designed cards might get a boost from a better designer, and they can finally say farewell to that horrible diaper brown and blue combo combined with fonts downloaded for free from the internet.

PS

The two Brians want to look into hiring a professional writer to keep their press releases from having a ridiculous amount of typos.

Last edited by ZappBrannigan; 05-05-2014 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Spelling
ZappBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:06 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinkwraith View Post
Next question....

The current Leaf is not connected to the old Leaf. Panini has the rights to Donruss and Playoff but not Leaf, so Brian Gray of Razor was able to use the Leaf name.
sideshowbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:47 AM   #12 (permalink)
Manufacturer

Frankly, I find it most entertaining when I read the boards and some people say things that may no sense..

First, Brian price is still intimately involved. If you are a fan of his product, that should not change. However, we will be adding some Value to the products for sure

For clarity, we will be leaving ITG somewhat alone with the primary initial changes being new designs/quality increases
plus numbering cards (versus stating gold/silver version).

As far as repack comments, the History of Hockey line will not be repeated. Best of hockey will be alive and well as the market has embraced that item.

For those critical of myself, I can tell you that we have had a shift in "corporate personality".
Those critical of my aggressive (often confused for cocky) nature will be pleased to know that my role at Leaf (while critical to the products) does not include being an outspoken, aggressive, critic anymore.

Good products and pleased customers are my only goal.

Hopefully, when we accomplish these things we will be judged by that performance alone.

BG
LEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:51 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAF View Post
Frankly, I find it most entertaining when I read the boards and some people say things that may no sense..

First, Brian price is still intimately involved. If you are a fan of his product, that should not change. However, we will be adding some Value to the products for sure

For clarity, we will be leaving ITG somewhat alone with the primary initial changes being new designs/quality increases

As far as repack comments, the History of Hockey line will not be repeated. Best of hockey will be alive and well as the market has embraced that item.

For those critical of myself, I can tell you that we have had a shift in "corporate personality".
Those critical of my aggressive (often confused for cocky) nature will be pleased to know that my role at Leaf (while critical to the products) does not include being an outspoken, aggressive, critic anymore.

Good products and pleased customers are my only goal.

Hopefully, when we accomplish these things we will be judged by that performance alone.

BG

sorry dude... but I had to.
Nyfancam01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:53 AM   #14 (permalink)

Good luck in your new venture Brian. I wish you much success.
mmbtvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:21 AM   #15 (permalink)
Manufacturer

Sorry.. Typing in car is bad for your spelling health (thanks autocorrect)..
LEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:15 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Sorry.. Typing in car is bad for your spelling health (thanks autocorrect)..
How fast were you driving??

Checkoutmycards ID: kelleys1
kelleys1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:24 AM   #17 (permalink)

Old 05-06-2014, 10:37 AM   #18 (permalink)

^^ For the record I'll take those two pop culture icons any day over the gluttonous "exclusive licensed" corporate guys in the hobby feeding off collectors...
"So hard-signed Autograph Cards without nasty redemptions isnít that difficult to do. You just have to want to do it for your collectors"---Price 3:16

Shop Smart, Shop Rink-Mart
Rinkwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 11:59 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
so far everything i've heard sounds good... except for the numbering part.

not sure how other collectors feel but i hope the simple gold/silver doesn't turn into endless parallel versions of the same card. if the first box of Leaf/ITG hockey I open has parallels numbered /399, /299, /199, etc. it'll be disappointing. i prefer the relatively short print runs by ITG.

in fact, one of the things i really like about ITG's Lord Stanley's Mug is that there are true 1/1's in there. cards that are unique with no parallel versions.

other than Leaf's Best of Unopened Football, which was a bad joke on the customers, i've generally liked their products and can't wait to see the 2 working together.

Last edited by ejs23; 05-06-2014 at 12:02 PM.
ejs23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 01:15 PM   #20 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to SethMurphy

I'm excited for the release, I have plenty of both ITG hockey and Leaf products in my personal collections (mostly Metal football autos - I'm a college guy). But have always been pleased with my case breaks on Leaf products when I have done them. Solid returns and simple clean designs IMO.

I hope the ITG trend of all game-used material continues (no event worn garbage please) as well as both companies attitude of sticking to ON CARD AUTOS continues as well.

I anticipate some big things between the two companies (dare I say BG finding a way to bring Leaf Trinity to hockey using all game used jumbo patches???? Please make this happen)

PCs - Cito Culver, Ryan Callahan, Ryan Nassib college uni, Prince Amukamara autos #/25 or less, Jason Pierre-Paul, Eli Manning autos, Richter/Messier/Leetch
SethMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 03:12 PM   #21 (permalink)

I know it says partnership, but why do I get the feeling Leaf just bought ITG?
FrankieP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 03:26 PM   #22 (permalink)

Numbered parallels is nothing more than artificial manufactured rarity - really nothing new in terms of innovation and creativity.

I just hope Leaf will start to be up front about production numbers/print runs, and stop withholding key cards (ie "backdooring") for such products as Holiday packs.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:07 PM   #23 (permalink)

I'm just hoping this some how leads to Trinity hockey.
Bizzydesigner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 04:43 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejs23 View Post
so far everything i've heard sounds good... except for the numbering part.
I don't like the numbering part either. In fact, I hate the idea of serial numbered cards.

A company's reputation should be strong enough to never need serial numbered cards. Post an accurate checklist with accurate print runs, and you don't need serial numbered cards.

I absolutely hate the individualism of serial numbered cards. No two are alike. When I put a complete set together, I don't want to see a bunch of different numbered cards.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:28 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwheeler27 View Post
I don't like the numbering part either. In fact, I hate the idea of serial numbered cards.

A company's reputation should be strong enough to never need serial numbered cards. Post an accurate checklist with accurate print runs, and you don't need serial numbered cards.

I absolutely hate the individualism of serial numbered cards. No two are alike. When I put a complete set together, I don't want to see a bunch of different numbered cards.
Problem is Leaf doesn't like checklists. Even when serial numbered it seems Leaf has past issues with them getting in the wrong hands yet takes no responsibility.