Blowout Cards Forums
Super Break

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2014, 03:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Which cards are worth of a magnetic snap case?

So I have been pondering this over the last few weeks. I want to know which cards are worthy of a Ultra Pro magnetic snap case. Obviously, if the card is a high value card, there is no question. I'm more talking about cards that aren't valuable enough to be snap cased, but aren't worthless enough to just be thrown in a long box.

I find that any signature card is at least worthy of going into a snap case. Even if it is a card that is mediocre at best, there will eventually be someone out there who wants that player. With the UV filter it can help reduce fading and discoloration of the card and signature. I am more on the fence about using a snap case on jersey/patch cards. I wouldn't mind putting them in a top loader, but top loaders aren't thick enough. I have oversized penny sleeves, but I worry about damage to them in a card box.

Does anyone have thoughts or methods about how they determine which cards are snap case worthy??
Old 05-06-2014, 04:10 AM   #2 (permalink)

I fear magnetic cases can ruin the surface of cards because they move around or are pushed towards one of the sides. I feel sleeve, appropriate size top loader and a team bag is perfect for a nice auto.
RBKSNIPZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
k13

There are some thick top loaders but I'm still determining what to put in myself.

Most PC stuff I put in.
k13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:01 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBKSNIPZ View Post
I fear magnetic cases can ruin the surface of cards because they move around or are pushed towards one of the sides. I feel sleeve, appropriate size top loader and a team bag is perfect for a nice auto.
I think this is more the perception for chrome cards, which I can totally understand in terms of surface damage.

But with the way most magnetics are designed, the corners of the card don't actually come in contact with anything so that's a plus.

In terms of the card "bouncing around" you just have to find a good fit which definitely can be tough, but I prefer those over toploaders for thicker cards.