Blowout Cards Forums
Holiday Madness

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2014, 04:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hockey Hall of Fame

Dominik Hasek, Peter Forsberg, Rob Blake and Mike Modano were announced as the Hockey Hall of Fame class of 2014 inductees on Monday.

Pat Burns was named to the builders category while Bill McCreary will join the officials category.

Hasek won 389 regular season games with 81 shutouts and earned six Vezina trophies, three William M. Jennings, two Harts and two Stanley Cups. He backstopped the Czech Republic to Olympic gold at the 1998 Nagano Games and also won bronze at Turin in 2006.

Drafted in the 10th round, 199th overall, by Chicago in 1983, Hasek made his NHL debut with the Blackhawks in the 1990-91 season and was traded to the Buffalo Sabres in 1992. Hasek had a breakout campaign in 1993-94 with Buffalo, posting a 30-20-6 record and a league-leading seven shutouts to capture his first Vezina Trophy. Hasek came close to winning the Cup with the Sabres in 1999 but lost to the Dallas Stars in a series that ended on Brett Hullís controversial foot-in-the-crease overtime goal.

Hasek won the Stanley Cup with the Detroit Red Wings in 2002 and 2008 and played his final professional game in the KHL at the age of 46 in 2011.

Forsberg played 708 NHL games and had 249 goals and 636 assists for 885 points. He was drafted sixth overall by the Philadelphia Flyers in 1991 and was traded to the Quebec Nordiques as part of the blockbuster Eric Lindros deal.

He won the Calder Trophy as rookie of the year in 1994-95 with 15 goals and 35 assists. Forsberg won the Stanley Cup in 1996 after the club relocated and changed its name to the Colorado Avalanche. He earned a second Stanley Cup with the team in 2001. Forsberg had a league-leading 106 points (29 goals, 77 assists) in 2002-03 and captured both the Art Ross and Hart Memorial trophies.

Forsberg won Olympic gold with Sweden twice: He scored the medal-winning goal in the shootout to beat Canada at the 1994 Lillehammer Games and won a second gold at Turin in 2006. He is a member of the Triple Gold Club having also won the IIHF World Hockey Championship in 1992 and 1998.

Injuries cut Forsbergís career short. He had his spleen removed during the 2001 playoffs and missed the entire 2001-02 regular season to recover while foot injuries plagued the latter portion of his NHL tenure. He retired after playing just two games in the 2010-11 season.

Mike Modano retired as the highest scoring American-born hockey player in NHL history with 1,374 points over 21 seasons with the Minnesota North Stars/Dallas Stars and Detroit Red Wings. Modano won the Stanley Cup with the Stars in 1999 and earned an Olympic silver medal with Team USA at the 2002 Salt Lake City Games. Modano was the first overall pick in the 1988 draft.

Rob Blake played 20 seasons in the NHL and won the Stanley Cup with the Colorado Avalanche in 2001. He won gold with Canada at the World Hockey Championship in 1994 and 1997 and the Olympic gold medal in 2002.

Itís been four years since fans all across North America were calling for Pat Burns to be inducted into the hall.

Over 71,000 hockey fans joined a Facebook group calling for Burnsí inclusion. It was the last opportunity for him to be inducted while alive, as he succumbed to cancer on November 19, 2010.

The late coach enters the hall under the builder category. The three-time Jack Adams Award winner (NHLís coach of the year) guided the New Jersey Devils to their most recent Stanley Cup in 2003. In 12 full seasons behind the bench Burnsí team missed the playoffs just once. He also made it to the Cup final with the Montreal Canadiens as a first-year NHL head coach in 1989.

Over 14 NHL seasons, Burns compiled a 501-353-165 record with the Canadiens, Toronto Maple Leafs, Boston Bruins and the Devils.

Side note: It's dumb that Lindros keeps getting snubbed when guys with less stats are in. Lindros was one of the best players of his era and has the numbers for HHOF
Wolves4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 04:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Good to see Burns finally make it, albeit four years later than the ideal situation.
Rinkwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

All is once again right in the hockey world. One of the best coaches ever, and if it weren't for Kerry Fraser, Burns could've brought the cup back to Toronto.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

solid 4

any other major snubs besides #88 Lindros?
Old 06-23-2014, 10:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by preakness View Post
solid 4

any other major snubs besides #88 Lindros?
What for? most concussions?
Chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
He's actually going to be there, invited by Forsberg as his special guest....

To thank him personally for being such a bitch...
Cause if it wasn't for that, Forsberg doesn't end up in Quebec/Colorado, doesn't win those Cups, isn't in the Hall of Fame (maybe)

Thanks Lindros!!!!
jmarascojr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

I was very pleased to see 2 former Wings inducted yesterday. But that Forsberg guy was pretty good as well
Old 06-24-2014, 03:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

Forsberg seems a bit on the fence to qualify, but since he got in, does that mean Paul Kariya should get in too? How about Sergei Fedorov?

I think Jeremy Roenick and Mark Recchi should be in if Forsberg is in.

The case for Lindros can be made as well based on performance and "what if?" potential not realized due to injuries.

I'm surprised Pierre Turgeon and Dave Andreychuk are not in the HOF based on surpassing the career 500 GOALS SCORED stat. I would think any player with 500 goals and/or 1,000 points would be inducted into the Hall of Fame.
Stat Monsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
Look at his numbers and compare it to some of those in the Hall. Lindros has better numbers only difference some have is Cup wins which is not a single person category it's a team thing. Based on player to player numbers Lindros has a lot of the "Hall" players beat.
Wolves4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

These were the reasons that we bought all of that early 1990's Hockey, even the French Versions.
Concentrating on my personal collection. Please drop me a PM if you have any of the following for sale: Topps Football 1956-1959; 1961-1964, 1967-1968; Philadelphia Football 1964-1967, Autographs of Baseball/Football Vintage Stars and Hall of Famers (especially on card autos), 1990's Topps Chrome Refractor Inserts of all sports.
37Jetson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:52 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarascojr View Post
He's actually going to be there, invited by Forsberg as his special guest....

To thank him personally for being such a bitch...
Cause if it wasn't for that, Forsberg doesn't end up in Quebec/Colorado, doesn't win those Cups, isn't in the Hall of Fame (maybe)

Thanks Lindros!!!!
Hahahaha I love it
Chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 12:07 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37Jetson View Post
These were the reasons that we bought all of that early 1990's Hockey, even the French Versions.
Same here. Not a stinker in the group. I love Blake being elected. I wonder why that would be......
ilovethelakings is offline   Reply With Quote