Blowout Cards Forums
This Just In

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2014, 06:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Default Teaser Gallery: Panini America Breaks Two Early Boxes of 2013-14 Contenders Hockey

Teaser Gallery: Panini America Breaks Two Early Boxes of 2013-14 Contenders Hockey
Jun 24th 2014, 20:29, by Tracy Hackler

Word on the street (and by street, we mean social media channels and our very own Product Development and Sales departments) is that 2013-14 Contenders Hockey is, well, loaded. Typically, “loaded” can be a hard-to-define term that tends to vary from collector to collector. But what we can report as it relates to the two random boxes we just opened for the purposes of this Teaser Gallery is this: We pulled nine total autograph cards (from boxes that promise “at least three” per) featuring a staggering 20 total signatures.
On average, that’s more than two autographs per card — an average helped immeasurably by pulling one card featuring eight autographs, another featuring four and another featuring two. Of course, these particular autograph pulls featured more than just quantity. They featured quality, too: Alex Ovechkin. Alex Galchenyuk. Seth Jones. Ryan Strome. The list goes on.

You can check it out for yourself in the gallery that follows. The already-sold-out 2013-14 Contenders Hockey releases to hobby shops nationwide tomorrow. Stay tuned to The Knight’s Lance for continued coverage.
blowoutcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:52 AM   #2 (permalink)

Less teaser galleries, more PR releases stating what happens to any and all NHL redemptions post 6/30/14.
"So hard-signed Autograph Cards without nasty redemptions isn’t that difficult to do. You just have to want to do it for your collectors"---Price 3:16

Shop Smart, Shop Rink-Mart
Rinkwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 11:54 AM   #3 (permalink)

8 way
4 way
dual

interesting.... Does every box have dual or better auto?

MUSEUM COLLECTION FRAME METAL
STAN MUSIAL AUTOGRAPH
kyle1707 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 12:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinkwraith View Post
Less teaser galleries, more PR releases stating what happens to any and all NHL redemptions post 6/30/14.
All will be honored when the cards are returned by players. The company isn't going out of business. All cards have been approved by the NHLPA and NHL and have printed. Per our agreement with the league and PA, any redemptions from our 13-14 products will be honored as these cards have already been built and aren't for future players or printing at a later date. If the players take longer than the 2-4 month window, collectors will have the option to replace the card as usual.
vegaspuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 12:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

The National Treasures early look cards look great. I just want to say Thanks to you guys over there VegasPuck for all the hard work and hours you guys put in in the production facility!! Gonna miss, Dominion the most and Prime. Like how your going out with a bang with NT though. Gonna be a busy summer for yall with Nt B-ball and Hockey haha Keep up the great work and best regards.
cardboardkilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 12:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspuck View Post
All will be honored when the cards are returned by players. The company isn't going out of business. All cards have been approved by the NHLPA and NHL and have printed. Per our agreement with the league and PA, any redemptions from our 13-14 products will be honored as these cards have already been built and aren't for future players or printing at a later date. If the players take longer than the 2-4 month window, collectors will have the option to replace the card as usual.
Panini is and always will be great in their customer service and regarding redemptions. Always an easy experience and quick resolution when there is/may be an issue.
Johnnycoldcuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 12:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

These Contenders card look Tits!!! Very classy look and just enough to make it a perfect rookie card!!! Be a very nice set/year to build of all the great rooks
cardboardkilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 12:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardboardkilla View Post
The National Treasures early look cards look great. I just want to say Thanks to you guys over there VegasPuck for all the hard work and hours you guys put in in the production facility!! Gonna miss, Dominion the most and Prime. Like how your going out with a bang with NT though. Gonna be a busy summer for yall with Nt B-ball and Hockey haha Keep up the great work and best regards.
For the couple people on here that love to complain about your products, you cant overlook the hard work you put in to make some of us happy that we get the chance to experience and have something a bit different than Upper Deck. Upper Deck is a great company as is ITG, but its nice to have another company putting forth some damn good products that are fun to open.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnycoldcuts View Post
Panini is and always will be great in their customer service and regarding redemptions. Always an easy experience and quick resolution when there is/may be an issue.
The football section disagrees with your assessment;
Visit to the Panini Booth at The National....
"So hard-signed Autograph Cards without nasty redemptions isn’t that difficult to do. You just have to want to do it for your collectors"---Price 3:16

Old 06-25-2014, 12:29 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardboardkilla View Post
These Contenders card look Tits!!! Very classy look and just enough to make it a perfect rookie card!!! Be a very nice set/year to build of all the great rooks
In a group break last night I landed a Sixes AUTO card of USA Goalies: Ryan Miller, Tim Thomas, John Gibson, Jack Campbell, Cory Schneider, and Jimmy Howard. That was my favorite card of the case but the case also had a Mackinnon patch auto and a Sixes AUTO of Russians...Ovechkin, Larionov, Tretiak, Bure, Datsyuk and one other i cant remember.

Solid pulls from this product.

Last edited by Johnnycoldcuts; 06-25-2014 at 12:38 PM.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:31 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
The football section disagrees with your assessment;
Visit to the Panini Booth at The National....
If you wanna focus on a minority of people go ahead. I speak with a majority that try to focus on the good of things rather than be a negative nancy and pick out the bad. You can roll with your ways like you usually do.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:40 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
If you wanna focus on a minority of people go ahead. I speak with a majority that try to focus on the good of things rather than be a negative nancy and pick out the bad. You can roll with your ways like you usually do.
I think it's more than one or two people when the voicemail box is full, but everyone has there own POV.

Anyways, tip of the hat to Chris for coming on here and giving that statement. Considering the past history of companies losing their licenses, that definitely clarifies things. To me it would be the top selling point for Panini for their last three NHL products.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:45 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:

Anyways, tip of the hat to Chris for coming on here and giving that statement. Considering the past history of companies losing their licenses, that definitely clarifies things. To me it would be the top selling point for Panini for their last three NHL products.

Not sure I agree it's a top selling point as we try to focus on the live content first for our upcoming products. For example, we only had 2 Rookie Ticket redemptions out of over 100 in Contenders hobby (Nichushkin and Tarasenko). We've been over 95% live auto content for the last 3 releases. Prime and NT are hoping to be in the same percentage. We're hoping the live cards can promote the products more than redemption talk. However, I understand the concern, and we will make every effort for our customers to honor any redemptions we pack.
vegaspuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 12:54 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Not sure I agree it's a top selling point as we try to focus on the live content first for our upcoming products. For example, we only had 2 Rookie Ticket redemptions out of over 100 in Contenders hobby (Nichushkin and Tarasenko). We've been over 95% live auto content for the last 3 releases. Prime and NT are hoping to be in the same percentage. We're hoping the live cards can promote the products more than redemption talk. However, I understand the concern, and we will make every effort for our customers to honor any redemptions we pack.
And I'll give props that MacKinnon is live for yours as opposed to redemption for UD.

I understand the selling point concept, but in times of uncertainty (and whether buyers will purchase pre-sale cases of higher end releases) this guarantee to me would be on any sell sheet. [Edit; because no hockey collector wants this to happen where points replace an auto;2014 Hot Rookies auto pack.... YOU WONT BELIEVE THIS.... If this will not happen with the last two products, they will sell better]

Last edited by Rinkwraith; 06-25-2014 at 01:13 PM.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:16 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
And I'll give props that MacKinnon is live for yours as opposed to redemption for UD.

I understand the selling point concept, but in times of uncertainty (and whether buyers will purchase pre-sale cases of higher end releases) this guarantee to me would be on any sell sheet. [Edit; because no hockey collector wants this to happen where points replace an auto;2014 Hot Rookies auto pack.... YOU WONT BELIEVE THIS.... If this will not happen with the last two products, they will sell better]
You know you are on a hockey board right? I have had many redemption and even expo redemptions that say "only redeemable at expo" that i contact them about and they yeah sure send it in and i get them in like a weeks time. I have never had a problem with Panini and I buy a lot. If you know how to use basic communication and take the time to talk with people and let them fix an issue, you will be surprised how much can go in your favor. Ive never even had a problem with Upper Deck or ITG that couldnt be fixed. We do not live in a perfect world and quality issues will always happen in small instances. Like that dude from the football link....he could have took the time to contact the company, instead, he used that time to post on a board how horrible it was right off the bat. People, man
Old 06-25-2014, 06:19 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Not sure I agree it's a top selling point as we try to focus on the live content first for our upcoming products.
Vegaspuck - thanks very much for clearing up how redemptions on these products will work. While it may not be a top selling point, the unknown was definitely going to prevent me from buying any of these products.

Quote:
If you wanna focus on a minority of people go ahead. I speak with a majority that try to focus on the good of things rather than be a negative nancy and pick out the bad.
I'm not sure it's a minority of people who have issues with redemptions. I talk to plenty of guys at my LCS (who aren't on this forum) who also have serious issues with getting their redemptions filled.

I don't get the "focus on the good" thing.

I've had plenty of redemptions requests with Panini over the past couple of years. Some show up rather quickly without me having to call or email them. That's the good.... it's also how it's supposed to work. But you can only give Panini, or any other company, so much credit for doing what they're supposed to do.

Of course the focus will be on the ones that don't show up... the calls and emails they don't return... the redemptions that don't get filled... the bad replacements, etc. About half of my redemptions, maybe slightly more, fall into these categories. That is not good CS.
ejs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 06:32 PM   #17 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle1707 View Post
8 way
4 way
dual

No. I opened half a box and got one rookie auto, a junk Ink auto and a patch auto redemption. The other half had one more rookie auto.

He LCS owner was mad because the distributor told him there would be more autos per box. I went in thinking four, maybe five. He was thinking eight
oldgoldy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 06:38 PM   #18 (permalink)

I finally got a call back from Panini yesterday.

The guy said he is new, was cleaning out the last guy's desk and found a note with my name and number.

He was trying to be helpful and I appreciate that... especially since that's a first for me with Panini. But, in the end, I still go the short end of the stick.

I've been waiting on a card from 2011 that I really wanted... a dual patch auto /10 of Joe Greene & Roger Staubach. They estimated the value at $250, which seems completely random. They offered me a Kobe prizm auto and a Staubach absolute auto jersey as replacements (which totals about $175). He also told me that they are having trouble getting Greene to sign. I pointed out that both Greene and Staubach have appeared in newer products and he said that someone else there decides how stickers are allotted.

So what's wrong with this picture so far....

First, it's been 3 years.

Second, why were stickers allotted to newer products before older ones that people have been waiting on?

Third, why is Panini putting players like Greene into a checklist when they don't even have agreements in place to get stickers signed?

Fourth, I purchased these Panini products and waited years and they're still going to low-ball me on replacements? Wouldn't a company worried about making it right with the customer go the other way and deliver a little extra value to make up for the wait and inconvenience?

I also had 14 other lower end redemtions outstanding that I wanted replaced. These included a Phil Esposito inaugural ink auto and a Sam Bradford NT virtuoso auto. By Panini's math, they totaled $220 in value. They refused to make me any guarantees on replacements (specific players, teams, etc). But I finally convinced them to send me a couple of specific cards of lesser value to wipe out the 14 redemptions. So I got a Le'veon Bell strata shadowbox auto and a Mario Lemieux majestic marks auto, which add up to about $150 in value.

So they owed me 14 cards, some for over a year. But again, when it was time to replace them they low-ball me. To guarantee specific cards (so that I didn't receive 14 junk cards) I had to agree to much less value. This is the complete opposite of how good CS works.

I now only have 2 outstanding redemptions with Panini.

I'll acknowledge the good. The new guy, Scott, did a great job. It was clear his hands were tied but he did call me and he did spend some time working through these replacements with me. He had to get approval from David Sharp to swap my 14 redemptions for 2 cards. And I appreciate that approval. I was also pleasantly surprised that it included a Mario Lemieux card.

So Scott and David have my thanks.

But it's still absurd that Panini puts collectors through this at all.
ejs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:43 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle1707 View Post
8 way
4 way
dual

my half case was probably a little out of the ordinary but I got 54 autos out of my 6 boxes. Each box had a quad auto or higher, although the player selection on most of them is nothing to speak of.
edhou1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:54 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoldy97 View Post
No. I opened half a box and got one rookie auto, a junk Ink auto and a patch auto redemption. The other half had one more rookie auto.

He LCS owner was mad because the distributor told him there would be more autos per box. I went in thinking four, maybe five. He was thinking eight
He was either told wrong or misheard someone. There are two boxes per case that have 8 autos, I'm nearly positive.

So far I'm liking this product and is a nice rival to SPA. Sad that it'll be the last.
Bizzydesigner is offline   Reply With Quote