Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2007, 10:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Crosby Rookie Cards

I don't know if I want to start another thread with what happened last time but here it goes.

My usual MO as a primarily hockey guy is to troll eBay, Beckett, sportslots etc. and look for better rookie cards at discounted prices. I have been able to pick up lots of the usual suspects like Luongo, LeCavalier and even newer guys like Nash and Spezza for 40% of what they would cost during the season, with the intent to unload them in the winter.

I tried that with Crosby, and to my chagrin they aren't discounted much, if at all. The Young Guns is down back below $300, but they probably shouldn't have gone to $400 anyway. The only way to find the deals was in quantity, and even those deals were pretty cruddy.

I think we may be on the verge of seeing his rookie cards go to another level. The Cup may have hit its ceiling, as have some of his other high end rookies, but it wouldn't shock me to see his $15-20 rookie cards jump to $50-75 by Christmas.
frozenntimesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 10:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraandMelliesDaddy View Post
I don't know if I want to start another thread with what happened last time but here it goes.

My usual MO as a primarily hockey guy is to troll eBay, Beckett, sportslots etc. and look for better rookie cards at discounted prices. I have been able to pick up lots of the usual suspects like Luongo, LeCavalier and even newer guys like Nash and Spezza for 40% of what they would cost during the season, with the intent to unload them in the winter.

I tried that with Crosby, and to my chagrin they aren't discounted much, if at all. The Young Guns is down back below $300, but they probably shouldn't have gone to $400 anyway. The only way to find the deals was in quantity, and even those deals were pretty cruddy.

I think we may be on the verge of seeing his rookie cards go to another level. The Cup may have hit its ceiling, as have some of his other high end rookies, but it wouldn't shock me to see his $15-20 rookie cards jump to $50-75 by Christmas.
Although I appreciate your passion for all that is hockey. This is CHROME SEASON !!!! How dare you post something that is not related to Bowman Chrome!!!!
Old 08-21-2007, 10:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

Did you see this lot?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Sidney-Crosby-Lo...QQcmdZViewItem

What do you think?
Old 08-21-2007, 10:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

I think that should be $2500-3000 at best. I don't put much stock in BGS 9.5. Sorry Mr. Chromie, I had to post something during the Bronx Is Burning Commercial.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:10 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to allhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraandMelliesDaddy View Post
I think that should be $2500-3000 at best. I don't put much stock in BGS 9.5. Sorry Mr. Chromie, I had to post something during the Bronx Is Burning Commercial.
I agree with K&MD- the five UD El Sid YGs are sure tastey looking but $7500?? that will go untouched for sure- considering it is fleabay- list them individually at $9.99 and the let the free market process take over.........
allhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 11:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tim

a bit off topic, but I busted a 3-box case of 05-06 the cup and hit a 1 of 1 auto sid -- it's on feebay now. The rest of the cards COMBINED in the case? About $100.00. LOL
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 12:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

Wow, Tim! With that hit, you can probably deal with the mediocre remains of the case.

KMD, I've been noticing his cards creeping steadily upward, too. Even his Victory Rookies are averaging $20.00+ (one sold for $49.95!). I'm still ripping a box or two of 05/06 UD 2 retail every few weeks, just stockpiling Young Guns (AO, Getzlaf, Vanek, Fleischmann,etc), Diary of a Phenom and Victory RC's. I need to get more Ultra.

What do you think potential is for the Crosby Phenomenal Beginnings and 05/06 UD Rookie Class cards are? Say in 2 years and 10 years down the road?

Last edited by trailgoat; 08-22-2007 at 12:44 PM.
trailgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 03:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailgoat View Post
Wow, Tim! With that hit, you can probably deal with the mediocre remains of the case.

KMD, I've been noticing his cards creeping steadily upward, too. Even his Victory Rookies are averaging $20.00+ (one sold for $49.95!). I'm still ripping a box or two of 05/06 UD 2 retail every few weeks, just stockpiling Young Guns (AO, Getzlaf, Vanek, Fleischmann,etc), Diary of a Phenom and Victory RC's. I need to get more Ultra.

What do you think potential is for the Crosby Phenomenal Beginnings and 05/06 UD Rookie Class cards are? Say in 2 years and 10 years down the road?
I have my doubts on them. These cards are guaranteed if you buy the particular set they are in, so there is no mystery.

I think Ultra is the next to run. The Young Guns Crosby is at $275-300, the Ultra is $125-150, even when they fall one in every 21 boxes. The Ultra wax is still out there, but when it dries up watch out.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

goat,
fleischmann?? you think he's worth stocking up? I remember when he was traded in the Lang deal a couple of years back and didn't think much of it. I agree that the 05/06 UD YG's are undervalued especially when compared to this years crop. Malkin and Staal going for more than Ovie. Radulov and Kopitar going for more than Vanek and Getzlaf, etc...
mcq91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 02:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

I really like Tomas Fleischmann. My only knock on him is that he sure doesn't hit much. But he has scored 114 points in 102 regular season AHL games, and 52 points in 39 post-season games over the last 2 seasons.

Worrisome, is that the Caps have a glut of RW's, and Fleischmann is probably the most attractive trade bait. He is a RFA. I don't believe the Caps have signed him yet. I don't want to see him go (unless we could get a gritty D-Man ).

Another Cap I love is Boyd Gordon. I need to scoop up some of his cards.

I'll stop thread-jacking now Suppose I could start an 'I love the Caps' thread...

Last edited by trailgoat; 08-24-2007 at 02:40 PM.
trailgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 05:03 PM   #11 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to allhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcq91 View Post
goat,
fleischmann?? you think he's worth stocking up? I remember when he was traded in the Lang deal a couple of years back and didn't think much of it. I agree that the 05/06 UD YG's are undervalued especially when compared to this years crop. Malkin and Staal going for more than Ovie. Radulov and Kopitar going for more than Vanek and Getzlaf, etc...
it is a simple supply and demand issue- for all we know UD is still printing cases of 5/6 UD series II; despite the super series II class it was produced in what 8/10 times more quantity/cases of than the 5/6 series one hky. How is the El Sid YG RC card worth 3X more than the AO YG RC...El Sid is good- real good but come on..........
allhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 06:29 PM   #12 (permalink)

There are less Upper Deck Young Gun Crosbys available in the market than Ovechkins and others since UD cut production of 05-06 Series one by 40%. Additionally, UD Series One young Guns are usually better and worth more than series two young guns and are much more popular than even some numbered rookie cards.
EGRHOCKEYFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 08:00 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGRHOCKEYFAN View Post
There are less Upper Deck Young Gun Crosbys available in the market than Ovechkins and others since UD cut production of 05-06 Series one by 40%. Additionally, UD Series One young Guns are usually better and worth more than series two young guns and are much more popular than even some numbered rookie cards.
Series 2 is starting to dry up, and the Series 2 checklist is better. The reason Series 2 usually stinks is because the checklist is full of also-rans. This year's series 2 didn't have much other than Malkin in it. Make a good checklist and Series 2 will be good.