Blowout Cards Forums
This Just In

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2007, 03:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 99/00 UD Century Legends Epic Signatures Gretzky No Unnumbered Signature help...

So I got this card in the mail today as a replacement and I am stumped. The card it has replaced was recently made and I have to make a decision to keep this or not. I did some investigating on this 1999 / 2000 Upper Deck Century Legends and found that this WG Wayne Gretzky Autographed Epic Signatures is SUPPOSE to be serial numbered to 100. Only problem.... It's not.. Hmm.. please help..

Thanks for anything you can tell me about this card. With the serial # to 100 there IS a book value. There is NO WG listing under the regular EPIC SIGNATURES... What is this card???

Thanks!

TJ
TJtheDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 03:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

Get on the phone to Upper Deck and have them give you some background on your new card. Since they replaced your original card with this one, they should be able to give you some info. If you sweet talk them they might even look up the super secret Beckett Online price guide only available to the big companies and tell you about what it's worth.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

What was the card it replaced ? The Epic sigs are STATED print runs not serial numbered to 100. Your card books $600. so whatever it replaced must have been one sweet card too.

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 04:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default Serial

Sorry Bam your wrong. They ARE hand numbered to 100. I have had people sent me pics of others in the set. Also, read you Beckett, it clearly states they are srial numbered. Mine on the other hand... Not.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

Your right TJ. Just went back and checked. I read it wrong. Not sure why they need to put "stated print run" if the sets are serial numbered.
What you have is a replacement card that they had stored incase someone returned a damaged card. They would normally serial number it the same number and cut up the damaged one. I guess since its almost 8 years old they are not figuring on getting any damaged returns and decided to give you that. I don't think they can number it because they run the risk of having 2 of the same number in the market. Did you get any type of letter with the card ? If you decide to keep it and eventually sell, I'd include that letter with the card so people don't think its a fake since its not numbered.

Old 08-22-2007, 04:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default Exacly..

Bam, this is what scared me. You nailed it on the head. Without some sort of authenticity letter from UD, how can I prove it is authentic without the serial number?? I am confused by this???

This is the replacement for an 05/06 Rookie Inspirations Dual AUTO Ovechkin / Kovalchuck. I hear it is being made now. Should I inform Upper Deck that I want the Ovy I pulled and return this or keep the Gretzky. I wish I was partial to either one but I am not. Just looking too see what the board members would do in this particular case.

Thanks!

TJ
Old 08-22-2007, 05:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Jughead Send a message via Yahoo to Jughead

Well the proof of authenticity is likely on the back of the card. What you don't have is the serial numbering. There is nothing wrong with your card. It just isn't Beckett-listed.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead View Post
Well the proof of authenticity is likely on the back of the card. What you don't have is the serial numbering. There is nothing wrong with your card. It just isn't Beckett-listed.
I see his point though J - if TJ wanted to resell that card people will be skeptical because its not serial numbered as its supposed to be. It probably devalues the card in some potential buyers minds.
Tough call on what to do as I would have a hard time turning down a Gretz auto. I'd call UD and explain to them your thinking and see if they'll give you some type of letter to use as authentication. If they can't give you anything like that AND YOU DON"T HAVE ANY INTENTION OF KEEPING THE GRETZKY, I'd ask UD to give you the Ovie/Kovie auto and return them the Gretzky.

Old 08-22-2007, 05:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Jughead Send a message via Yahoo to Jughead

I agree with your opinion of what he should do, definitely.

If collectors really would think what you're saying, though, then they are dumb dumb dumb. A COA is much more important to me than serial numbering, especially because there is a plausible explanation to go with it. But then I guess that is why I am not most people?
Old 08-22-2007, 05:34 PM   #10 (permalink)

Default Thanks

Just got off the phone with my rep at Upper Deck. He is forwarding a scan to their fraud dept to see why these are being sent out. I have asked for a 'replacement for my replacement' LOL! To get the Ovy back if and when it is being made as they said it is next month. I will let you all know when I am updated!!! Thanks! BTW if ANYONE does have this card in their collection with the serial number on it, can you please sent me a scan so I can send it to Upper Deck along with mine in an email. Thank You!

TJ
Old 08-23-2007, 09:59 AM   #11 (permalink)

Get a blue sharpie out and number it 99/100... Then of course list it!

Sha right...

~Bryun
bryun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 10:22 AM   #12 (permalink)

...note to self...never buy or trade anything from Bryun. LOL

Just kidding Bryun. I'm sure that thought was going through a lot of our heads. That would be pretty easy to hand number it and sell it. Even if the originals were stamped.
mwheeler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 11:23 AM   #13 (permalink)

Wasn't that the Gretzky auto that started the whole redemption thing?

I seem to remember UD not being able to get the Great One's autos in time and had to insert the redemptions at the last minute, and then the few who pulled the redemptions had a horrible time getting their cards.....

Remember the redemptions with the actual card (missing the auto or GU swatch) with a hole punched in it and a sticker over it?

Or maybe this is the plot line to Michael Moore's newest movie that I just leaked out into the internet!

~Bryun
bryun is offline   Reply With Quote