Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2008, 04:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Damn you guys and your hockey cards...

Hello, I'm new here and have been lurking for a couple months. I'm just getting back into cards and you hockey guys are making my wallet lighter and lighter!

I always liked hockey cards but I never knew much about the sport. I'm from Chicago and didn't have cable so I hardly ever saw a Blackhawks game so I never got into it as I did say, the Cubs. I did play a ton of Blades of Steel and NHLPA '93 so that's about the extent of what I knew. I also admired some players or kept them in mind...mostly because I went through a phase of sending for autographs and they were incredibly quick (Roenick was actually the first one I ever got).

Anyways, so I've been reading this forum a lot and trying to catch up with the hobby. You guys got me watching the playoffs because I became obsessed with Ovechkin. I bought a total of five boxes of UD 2 trying to get his rookie which I did...in the last box...and of course it was damaged by the pack crimper.

I've gained a lot of information from here so I thank you all. Although, there are a few things I still had to learn for myself (such as my purchase of UD ICE). You guys even got me buying a tin of 06-07 The Cup! Of course, I had to look up all the cards since I wasn't too familiar with the players or their demand (or lack of). I did get my first ever actual patch card (not just jersey swatch).

...Guillaume Latendresse signed rookie (had to look him up...now just need a pronunciation key) which I guess is decent. It's a cool white, red, white, blue, and white patch with some threads hanging off of it. I also got a Nicklas Lidstrom 01/25 Foundations card with some faint red (?!) stain on it.

Blowout should be giving you guys commissions for all the hockey I've bought!
mightbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 07:43 AM   #2 (permalink)

Haha, we'll talk to Pat and Chris about the commission thing!

The Latendresse is a decent, maybe the best, tier 2 rookie patch auto to get. You should get over 100 for it, that's if you don't get to keep it. I'd say a decent break for you!
Old 05-23-2008, 03:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yeah, you and ebacardi2 are the two I blame the most, lol. Hockey is what I know the least about, but since I've been buying cards again it's the biggest chunk. So far I've gotten...1 box 05 Series 1, 5 Series 2, 2 Rookie Update, 1 spx and 1 Ice, 1 05 Prospects, 1 06 spa, and 2 new spa. Then to top things off I just opened a case of 05 Ultra. My first box was fantastic with an AO rookie, jersey, and a Phaneuf blue signature. I just need to learn when to say when.

My wallet just cried after reading the Cup should be a go for this year...I really like those cards...
Attachment 2415
Old 05-23-2008, 03:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightbe View Post
My wallet just cried after reading the Cup should be a go for this year...I really like those cards...
Attachment 2415
Eh don't cry...just accept it! I gotta start selling somethings so I can get a case or two of it! That should take me forever!
Old 05-23-2008, 03:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

Welcome to the club. I have always liked hockey especially around playoff time but I never really collected cards. Well now I have a new hobby to throw my money at. I do however like the look of some of the hockey cards better though. There seems to be alot more 3 or multi colored stuff around. Flobert, Hockey Junkie, Ebacardi2 and others seem to be very knowledgable on the products coming out. I like to see if they do good on a product or get rolled but like everything else it seems to be 50/50.
wyomedina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 03:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

My advice to you is stay away from UD Ice and SP authentic. UD series 1 and 2 are usually decent. Ultimate collection is hit or miss, as well as Hot prospects. The Cup is high risk, high reward. Now...if topps only had a Hockey license.....
Old 05-23-2008, 03:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

Actually, I was wondering...when did UD get their monopoly, errr "exclusivity?" The other thing I'm curious about since I've been out of cards is the downfall of companies, who bought out who, etc. It's like they "solved" the overproduction problem with fewer companies but those companies are putting out way too much crap.

Oh, when I started out I went through an 05 UD Series 2 phase (when it was like $45). Why, other than Crosby, is there such a price discrepancy with Series 1? Did they produce notably more, or does it just seem that way because all the Series 1 was bought up or opened due to his hype?
Old 05-23-2008, 04:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

UD got the exclusive rights to NHL hockey products I think after the lockout. Which is a shame because ITG is a good card company! Topps is good, I can only imagine a Topps Triple Threads hockey!

Other than the Crosby being series 1, there is not really reason why it is so much more. The Crosby is a fairly common card though, its not that tough to pull. That being said, I wouldn't pony up the 200+ for a box of it. Series 2 has much better value.
Old 05-23-2008, 04:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

"That being said, I wouldn't pony up the 200+ for a box of it."

Yup, that was the first mistake I made. I was even more upset at first because I thought the yg cards were more distinctive from the base ones so I thought I hadn't even gotten a single one.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Actually, I was wondering...when did UD get their monopoly, errr "exclusivity?" The other thing I'm curious about since I've been out of cards is the downfall of companies, who bought out who, etc. It's like they "solved" the overproduction problem with fewer companies but those companies are putting out way too much crap.

Oh, when I started out I went through an 05 UD Series 2 phase (when it was like $45). Why, other than Crosby, is there such a price discrepancy with Series 1? Did they produce notably more, or does it just seem that way because all the Series 1 was bought up or opened due to his hype?
UD cut production of 05-06 Upper Deck Series 1 by 40% and announced it a month before release.
EGRHOCKEYFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 07:59 PM   #11 (permalink)

Interesting...but then did they ramp up production again for Series 2?
Old 05-24-2008, 08:20 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Interesting...but then did they ramp up production again for Series 2?
It seems like they did. Until recently this was the most underpriced product in the hobby, its starting to get its due now.
frozenntimesports is online now   Reply With Quote