Blowout Cards Forums
Halloween

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2008, 01:27 PM   #176 (permalink)

All the Malkin bashing and Crosby praising is a friggin joke !! Teams would line up to get Malkin if the Pens have a problem with him. Look at the numbers and consider the game situations each player plays in. We'll throw in Zetterberg's numbers for fun as well since Pens fans swear by their savior as the best player in the game.

Crosby 19 Games 6 goals (1 GW) 20 Asst. 57 SOG and +7
Malkin 19 Games 9 goals (3 GW + 1 SHG) 11 Asst. 70 SOG and +3
Zetterberg 21 Games 12 goals (2GW + 3SHG) 13 Asst. 110 SOG and +15

While Malkin was invisible for game 2 of the Finals he has stepped it up since and its a joke that he is the whipping boy for the Pens problems in the Finals. While Sid sits on his ass all playoffs long on the PK, Malkin has been killing penalties as well, so maybe he is a little tired. Plus he doesn't shy away from contact like you know who, so I'm sure he is banged up as well. Malkin still has more SOG then Sid the last 3 games and the primary assist on the OT GW. Give the kid a break already.

All I'm saying is don't listen to the radio or read the papers from a bunch of ignorant media people who don't understand the game and probably can't even name 5 Pens prior to 05-06. Just look at the numbers and the on ice situations before you rip a kid for dogging it. I'm sure the Pens "savior" could up his game a lot more as well. Zetterber's numbers put Crosby's to shame across the board for the playoffs other than assists. Plus he kills penalties as well (3 SHGs) Wonder what Ovie's numbers would be right now compared to Zetterberg or Crosby ?

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 02:15 PM   #177 (permalink)

I could care less about stats - those are for agents to use in negotiating contracts and all that babble. I want effort and I want wins.
solt0131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 06:28 PM   #178 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to pskell02

Quote:
Originally Posted by solt0131 View Post
I think the Pens should sign Hossa and Malone and let Malkin go after this year as a restricted free agent and receive compensation for him. If they let Hossa and Malone go, they receive nothing and could still lose Malkin in the years to come.

Does anyone know what the Pens would receive if another team takes a restricted free agent?
As a Pens fan, that may have been one of the dumbest statements I have ever read. Hossa is older and Malkin isn't even into the prime of his career. They will sign Gino to a long term contract by pairing off guys like the useless Whitney character. He is the biggest waste of space in hockey. Malone is the hardest worker on that team, and being a Pitt. guy, he won't go anywhere.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:27 PM   #179 (permalink)

That's your opinion, only it was a big subject on the talk radio shows around here and a lot of people called in agreeing with it. You do realize next year that they could be without Hossa, Malone, Dupuis, Gill, and Orpik and have nothing to show for it. I'm not convinced that Malone is going to take a hometown discount as most of you guys are....he is going to receive one or two very hefty offers that will be substanially above the Pens. The Pens will be very limited on what they can spend due to Malkin and Staal both being UFA next year.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:43 PM   #180 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to iluvfish2 Send a message via Yahoo to iluvfish2

I think Detroits been putting it to Malkin pretty hard for a reason, they know he's a threat, and i wouldnt get rid of him. I think it was during the 1st OT last night, maybe the 2nd when Malkin got dumped next to the wings net and was slow to get up. The boy was just whipped. i loved the announcers "he's sucking dirty pond water" comment. the Pens will lock him up to a long term contract soon as well. If not, I'd expect almost any team in the NHL that has cap space ( and maybe a few that dont that will move players to make room).

He's giving full effort IMHO
Old 06-03-2008, 11:34 PM   #181 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by solt0131 View Post
I could care less about stats - those are for agents to use in negotiating contracts and all that babble. I want effort and I want wins.
Yeah don't let stats or knowledgeable people get in the way of talk radio and their frustrated band wagon callers who have no idea WTH Troy Loney or my all-time favorite Pen, Jay Caulfield (loved the neck roll) are.

If frustrated Pens fans want more wins, then maybe the "best player in the NHL" needs to put the Pens on his back like all the greats do and start killing penalties, blocking shots, being physical and scoring more goals.

Your my boy Rob but your starting to sound like all those blind loyalist Crosby "fans" who have the blinders on when it comes to getting on him a little. Malkin is a tall kid with strong legs but his upper body is not very big at all and he has been beat to death in Philly and this series. I think people need to cut him a break. Its not all his fault the Pens dug themselves a hole.

Old 06-04-2008, 06:47 AM   #182 (permalink)

Why would Crosby need to kill penalties? The penalty unit they have out there has almost totally shut down Detroit and has shut down every single team so far tis playoffs. I'd like to see Crosby out there killing penalites too, but there's no reason to mess with a good thing. Staal, Hall and Gonchar are doing an absolutely stellar job and no reason to boot any of them.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:12 PM   #183 (permalink)

You missed the point and your obvious disdain for Malkin shows as you fail to mention his contributions to the PK unit so I'm sure I'm wasting my time. Malkin has been on the pK and has been pretty physical for a player of his size and skill both giving and taking. Crosby SHOULD be fresher at this point because he didn't play for 2 months, doesn't kill penalties and sure as hell doesn't play a physical game. Maybe he should be doing more at this stage of the playoffs no ? Take off those savior blinders your starting to sound like the bandwagon fans who thought the Pens started playing hockey in 2005 ..

Old 06-04-2008, 02:09 PM   #184 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to fm8418

How about the defensemen playing 50 Minutes in game 5 and forwards 34... I know that's usual but still think a young gun should be able to play more.
fm8418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 03:14 PM   #185 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMBAM View Post
You missed the point and your obvious disdain for Malkin shows as you fail to mention his contributions to the PK unit so I'm sure I'm wasting my time. Malkin has been on the pK and has been pretty physical for a player of his size and skill both giving and taking. Crosby SHOULD be fresher at this point because he didn't play for 2 months, doesn't kill penalties and sure as hell doesn't play a physical game. Maybe he should be doing more at this stage of the playoffs no ? Take off those savior blinders your starting to sound like the bandwagon fans who thought the Pens started playing hockey in 2005 ..
Neither Malkin nor Crosby play on the PK. Where did you get the idea that Malkin contributes on the PK and Crosby doesn't? Neither of them do. Thru this year's entire playoffs, Crosby has played 3:20 of short handed time and Malkin has played 9:18. They are almost equal on power play time as well.
The leading PK unit for the Pens are Gonchar, Orpik, Gill, Scuderi, Staal, Dupuis, Talbot, and Hall.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:24 PM   #186 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to pskell02

Malkin generally plays the ass end of the PK to try and spark a rush once it ends. But I can't fault Crosby for not playing on the PK, that is the coaches decision right or wrong, its not up to him.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:26 PM   #187 (permalink)

Either way they are both kids and are tremendous players and we need to cut them some slack, being that they are both at or near the top in the playoffs and crosby leads 2 categories, so I don't understand the logic.

Give them a Break!

2008 Playoff Leaders

GOALS
Johan Franzen G: 13

ASSISTS
Sidney Crosby A: 20

PTS
Sidney Crosby Pts: 26

NHL Scoring Leaders PP PK
RNK NAME POS GP G A PTS +/- PIM ATOI SOG SPCT G A G A
1 Sidney Crosby, PIT C 19 6 20 26 7 12 20:39 57 10.5 2 11 0 0
2 H. Zetterberg, DET LW 21 12 13 25 15 16 22:33 110 10.9 4 5 2 3
3 Marian Hossa, PIT RW 19 11 13 24 8 12 20:52 75 14.7 4 6 0 1
4 Pavel Datsyuk, DET C 21 10 11 21 12 4 21:39 72 13.9 4 3 0 0
5 Evgeni Malkin, PIT C 19 9 11 20 3 24 20:51 70 12.9 4 5 1 0

Go Pens!!!
Never Forget 9/11, Be Diligent and Safe!

Last edited by Vintage Collector; 06-04-2008 at 03:28 PM.
Vintage Collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 03:40 PM   #188 (permalink)

Wings played game 5 horrible, they were too worried about the refs then playing the game. This game Babcock will tell them to focus on the game and the Wings will shut up the Pens fans with a 15 shot first period and 2 goals on a way to a 5-2 win.
GO WINGS!
jacobbigshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 03:52 PM   #189 (permalink)

Devils Fan Here, who do you vote for Jacob?

The flyers or the Rangers?
Old 06-04-2008, 03:55 PM   #190 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Collector View Post
Devils Fan Here, who do you vote for Jacob?

The flyers or the Rangers?
Rangers......grew up as a Rangers fan, and they have Shanahan so I was rooting for them this year, hate the devils.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:04 PM   #191 (permalink)

Hate the Rangers, One Stanley Cup in like 80 years, ha ha!

All kidding aside, I'm sick and tired of Detroit almost as much as the Rangers.

I have lots of family who are angry Ranger Fans Also.

Go Pens!

Last edited by Vintage Collector; 06-04-2008 at 04:06 PM.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:06 PM   #192 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Collector View Post
Hate the Rangers, One Stanley Cup in 80 years, ha ha!

All kidding aside, I'm sick and tired of Detroit almost as much as the Rangers.

I have lots of family who are angry Ranger Fans Also.

Go Pens!

Correction 54 years!
Old 06-04-2008, 04:09 PM   #193 (permalink)

Rangers have 4 cups since 1926 and are the original 6 teams.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:16 PM   #194 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobbigshow View Post
Rangers have 4 cups since 1926 and are the original 6 teams.
Devils have 3 since 1995.

But I will say one thing the Rangers have alot bigger fanbase than the Devils, it was unbearable this year at the Prudential Center with all the dopey ranger fans around me.

It made me so mad , the only thing that consoled me was pointing to all our championship banners in the rafters.

I have to say, Devils/Rangers have a good rivalry going, I hope it keeps up!

Nice trading jabs with you!
Old 06-04-2008, 04:20 PM   #195 (permalink)

I have to say this about NJ fans, we are a joke. I live in NJ and when the Nets were good nobody cared. When the devils were good nobody cared. We are horrible fans, the Rangers and Knicks fans are crazy. Imagine if the Knicks were good? Just look at the Yankees, they have a crazy fan base cause they are so good. New York is a huge city, so they really support their city and they get all the NJ and CT fans as well as other states.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:22 PM   #196 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to fm8418

maybe it's Crosbys 5 points in 5 games compared to 21 points in 14 games from the previous 3 series.

People want Crosby to be a top goal scorer but he's not really.
fm8418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 04:27 PM   #197 (permalink)

Your right Pskell - not saying Crosby needs to kill penalties just saying thats one of the reasons why Malkin's play has slipped a little in the Finals. The main reason being the pounding he has taken.

I agree with you 100% VC that they are both kids and they are both top players in this league. Just seems one is above critisism and one has a bullseye on him. To keep pointing the finger at Malkin like Rob has the whole Finals is weak. The kid has had the crap pounded out of him for about a month and is still out there battling since his lousy game 2. He got way more attention and abuse then Sid did in the Flyers series and the Wings have continued to follow suite. Not making excuses for him not scoring but its not like he is just skating in circles out there.
Maybe as a Flyers fan I should be hoping they keep blasting the kid and run him out of town. Every team in the league with a desire to win would pay for his services.

Old 06-04-2008, 04:36 PM   #198 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobbigshow View Post
I have to say this about NJ fans, we are a joke. I live in NJ and when the Nets were good nobody cared. When the devils were good nobody cared. We are horrible fans, the Rangers and Knicks fans are crazy. Imagine if the Knicks were good? Just look at the Yankees, they have a crazy fan base cause they are so good. New York is a huge city, so they really support their city and they get all the NJ and CT fans as well as other states.
Well you are a Ranger Fan living in NJ so you don't count!

I agree but the devils are only a 25 year old franchise so give us some time, the nets I can't explain.

I was a nets fan through good and bad, but there aren't many of us. When they move to Brooklyn, I will still root for them!

We should really end this thread hijack and discuss pens/wings.

I hope it goes to game seven because there is nothing more exciting than a game 7 hockey game! Especially for the Cup!

Detroit will be crazy on Saturday if there is a game 7!
Old 06-04-2008, 05:01 PM   #199 (permalink)

Time to hijack this thread again....looking at the line for tonights game I see this Wings are -130, -1.5 +210, and under 5 is 110+.

I don't like the -130 spread, or the -1.5 +210....but the under 5 goals I love. The pens had 18 shots last game (not including OT) they will again be limited to very few shots. I am thinking about putting some money on that.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:26 PM   #200 (permalink)

I would take the pens +1.5!!!