Blowout Cards Forums
2015 panini nat packs

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2015, 01:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Miracle on Ice value question

I know there was a big team signing at the National and I see there is another one coming up in October at Chantilly. Is the value of this team signed stuff going to go down, now that it appears there will be more items out there? I'm contemplating getting the super-ticket for $400 for a large flat that will have 18 sigs. I'm getting it for myself as it is probably my favorite sports moment ever, but I wouldn't place any personal sentimental value in getting these autos in person. Its the actual accomplishment, that to this day, still gives me goosebumps when I re-visit it. So its hard to put a monetary value on it, but when I eventually pass it on to my son, will it only be a $100 item in 20 years? Will I be able to wait a year and pick it up for half the price they are asking at the signing? Its just something I would have in my little mancave. Thoughts?
I pull scrubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 02:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

I know you say there's no sentimental value in getting the autos yourself, but I think you should probably do it anyway if you can swing the $400. Yeah the value might go down by the time you give it to your son, but you never know for sure. And you may be able to talk to a couple of the guys while they're signing and come away with a story as well. Besides if you're hanging on to this for 20+ years, the $400 will be long forgotten by then.

Plus you can pick what they're signing by doing this way.
ewilkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:49 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewilkens View Post
I know you say there's no sentimental value in getting the autos yourself, but I think you should probably do it anyway if you can swing the $400. Yeah the value might go down by the time you give it to your son, but you never know for sure. And you may be able to talk to a couple of the guys while they're signing and come away with a story as well. Besides if you're hanging on to this for 20+ years, the $400 will be long forgotten by then.

Plus you can pick what they're signing by doing this way.
Thanks, very good points - I guess I don't want to be embarrassed for my son if he tries to unload it later and gets offered $50 because there is no demand because these things are plentiful - not to mention I'll have to pay to get it framed as well. I appreciate your response. I guess the real smart thing to do would be to put the $400 into his college fund, but what fun is that
Old 08-06-2015, 07:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by I pull scrubs View Post
Thanks, very good points - I guess I don't want to be embarrassed for my son if he tries to unload it later and gets offered $50 because there is no demand because these things are plentiful - not to mention I'll have to pay to get it framed as well. I appreciate your response. I guess the real smart thing to do would be to put the $400 into his college fund, but what fun is that
The demand is still there for that team after 35 years and multiple generations. In the long-term, those team signed items will go only get harder to put together as more of the players from that team grow older and/or pass away. Besides that, there's nothing to prevent someone from offering $50 for it; your son needs to know it's worth more than that.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

I could be wrong but I don't think all 18 sigs will be on it. I think two have passed so it would be 16 sigs
poehockey19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 11:41 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by poehockey19 View Post
I could be wrong but I don't think all 18 sigs will be on it. I think two have passed so it would be 16 sigs
It will be 18, as that is how many I see as advertised at this particular signing (including assistant coach Patrick) so not every player from the team will be there, but the most impactful guys are besides coach Brooks - RIP
Old 08-07-2015, 11:49 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus Con View Post
The demand is still there for that team after 35 years and multiple generations. In the long-term, those team signed items will go only get harder to put together as more of the players from that team grow older and/or pass away. Besides that, there's nothing to prevent someone from offering $50 for it; your son needs to know it's worth more than that.
Very true and if we are still posting about it as you said, 35 years later, there is obviously value. I'm just torn on if I could get it cheaper this time next year, since there have been a few signings creating many more items out there. (the dreaded supply/demand issue)
Old 08-07-2015, 06:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by I pull scrubs View Post
Very true and if we are still posting about it as you said, 35 years later, there is obviously value. I'm just torn on if I could get it cheaper this time next year, since there have been a few signings creating many more items out there. (the dreaded supply/demand issue)
I don't think you can get an item like this cheaper. Most autograph costs (especially for non-current players) get cheaper after they're done playing. The Miracle on Ice team is an exception because of its historical significance. I doubt it will drop (not that you couldn't maybe find a deal I suppose). I just think it will maybe stay the same or go up. The demand is clearly there in my opinion. Every year, it will just get harder to put this group together and every four years (the Winter Games), it will have a higher value point.

I would love to drop $400 to get all the remaining team members myself. I don't care about resale value personally; I care that hockey has been my sport for decades and this team is the team that transcended the sport and left a huge historical mark.
Old 08-07-2015, 06:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

This is a team that will continue to be shown during every Winter Games.

A classic story of David vs Goliath.

If nothing else, current market value (IE: not retail costs) of these team-signed pieces will stay the same. If I had to guess...we'd be looking at increases in the future...near and far.