Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2008, 12:36 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default New Hockey Fan/Collector Question

I am just getting into collecting hockey cards and I was wondering what a good product is that holds its value pretty well. I initially wanted to go with SP Authentic or Artifacts but I don't know how those could play out. Any suggestions?
jaytee11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 12:38 AM   #2 (permalink)

These guys love The Cup. I haven't got back into yet, but I hear it a lot.
Zerokruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:55 AM   #3 (permalink)

Yeah The Cup is great if a new collector wants to spend $400 or more on one pack of cards, but since he's most likely looking for something mid-range with decent hits and value I say go for SPA. You should get 3 autos in every box including a rookie and there have been a lot of great boxes busted so far.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:15 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Yeah The Cup is great if a new collector wants to spend $400 or more on one pack of cards, but since he's most likely looking for something mid-range with decent hits and value I say go for SPA. You should get 3 autos in every box including a rookie and there have been a lot of great boxes busted so far.
You are correct, it's probably a tad bit pricey for starting out.
Zerokruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 10:28 AM   #5 (permalink)

I would take Artifacts over SPA. Three Memorabilia and 1 auto per box. There is a good potential for a nice patch card too, maybe even one in need of medical assistance.

I think there is more value in it because the three autos you could get in SPA could really suck.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:24 AM   #6 (permalink)

Its interesting seeing everyone's responses. First I'll say after scouting forums for awhile collectors here tend towards the higher end of hockey collecting, The Cup, Ultimate etc.

Personally, of this season's sets I'm most fond of Ice and SPx. I'm more of a game used vs auto kind of collector. I think Ice has the best looking game used cards and some really nice inserts. SPx I think has the coolest inserts and i love their rookie auto/jersey cards (and out of two boxes this year I've beaten the stated odds both times).

Though if you like autos SPA is hard to beat! Or go Sweet Shot which seems to be packed with limitless tradebait.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:16 AM   #7 (permalink)

I was hardcore into game-used for the longest time but have just recently started branching into autos as well, probably why I lean towards SPA now because I adore the designs of the auto sets and there are some big hits to be pulled between top-tier rookies and star players (I got a Gordie Howe/Mark Messier Dual SOTT redemption in my box, case hit that is now being shipped by UD!). Also helps that the rookie autos are all #/999 so you have a fair chance at hitting one of the big names unlike Ice where the top tier is #/99, not autoed, and nearly impossible to pull.

As for Sweet Shot, if you want to get the feeling of busting a high-end product while spending mid-range money you can't beat it. I paid $80 for one tin and pulled a Draper puck auto, Mueller triple rookie jersey, and Lemieux triple jersey #/299. The cards are gorgeous, especially the stick autos if you're lucky enough to pull one. My buddy pulled a Ray Bourque #/25 and it is awesome. Player collectors are all over this stuff and I am actively chasing the Gaborik autos from each subset.

Depends on what you like and what you plan to do with any hits you get, Sweet Shot is ideal for trading as mentioned above and SPA can get you some nice return on rookie autos and patches.

Last edited by Inferno; 06-10-2008 at 12:19 AM.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:22 AM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to pskell02

Sweet shot is the way to go. I pulled this 2 weeks ago. I'm not gonna say that you will make out this good, but for the price, the upside is there, where as with SPA you could get Prust, Potulny, and Tukonen like I did

Old 06-10-2008, 12:32 AM   #9 (permalink)

I am not a fan of the baseball skin autos but Gordie Howe can sign anything and make it incredible. Nice hit!

It is true SPA can be hit or miss sometimes, case in point the same guy that pulled the Bourque Stick Signings from Sweet Shot I mentioned above also busted three boxes of SPA and only got a Kane Future Watch auto and Dino Ciccarelli patch to show for it, whereas I busted one box and pulled five autos on four cards including the Howe/Messier dual.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:36 AM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks guys (and/or girls) for all of your help! I will let you know what I pick and how it turns out.
jaytee11 is offline   Reply With Quote