Blowout Cards Forums
2014 holiday shipping promo

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2008, 09:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 07/08 Hockey Awards

Ovechkin wins every award!!! Cup rookie goes to 10k I hope!

But seriuosly some nice hardware for the Caps!! Go Caps!!!
Old 06-12-2008, 09:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

Well, good thing you rejected that ever so tempting $2000 offer for your lot. I'm looking forward to a future with a Blachawks team that doesn't suck and actually telecasts home games.
mightbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to fm8418

go Datsyuk
fm8418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 10:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

Osgood should have won the Vezina (wasn't nominated) . Malkin should have won MVP (Penguins best player all year and delivered for Crosby). Pavel Datsyuk is not the best defensive foward. The best defensive foward is Sami Kapanen. Just my two cents.
EGRHOCKEYFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 10:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to pskell02

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGRHOCKEYFAN View Post
The best defensive foward is Sami Kapanen. Just my two cents.
Jordan Stall Partially agree with Malkin, but its hard to not take Ovie as he was the team.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to fm8418

Datsyuk led the league in takeaways I think and he was hittin people more than anyone else on the wings. I thouhgt Z was going to get it though.
fm8418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 11:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGRHOCKEYFAN View Post
Osgood should have won the Vezina (wasn't nominated) . Malkin should have won MVP (Penguins best player all year and delivered for Crosby). Pavel Datsyuk is not the best defensive foward. The best defensive foward is Sami Kapanen. Just my two cents.
I agree on Osgood, but I can make an argument for Huet (stats aren't there but he stabilized the Caps when he took over for Kolzig and they went on their run)

Malkin will win an MVP, and for the second half of last season he was the best player I have seen since Super Mario, but the MVP is a whole season award and I think Ovechkin was the clear winner.

I would have gone with Mike Richards for the Selke, but I see a lot more of the Flyers than any other team so I'm biased. Either way, Richards may win the MVP one of these years.
“Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes. You must look into that storm and shout as you did in Rome. Do your worst, for I will do mine! Then the fates will know you as we know you.”
frozenntimesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 09:15 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraandMelliesDaddy View Post
I agree on Osgood, but I can make an argument for Huet (stats aren't there but he stabilized the Caps when he took over for Kolzig and they went on their run)

Malkin will win an MVP, and for the second half of last season he was the best player I have seen since Super Mario, but the MVP is a whole season award and I think Ovechkin was the clear winner.

I would have gone with Mike Richards for the Selke, but I see a lot more of the Flyers than any other team so I'm biased. Either way, Richards may win the MVP one of these years.
Malkin will never win an MVP with Crosby on the Pens. Only reason his name was in it this year was due to crosby getting hurt. Crosby plays a whole season malkin will not win, bottom line.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:29 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebacardi2 View Post
Malkin will never win an MVP with Crosby on the Pens. Only reason his name was in it this year was due to crosby getting hurt. Crosby plays a whole season malkin will not win, bottom line.
Except that a healthy Malkin is better than a healthy Crosby 10 times out of 10
“Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes. You must look into that storm and shout as you did in Rome. Do your worst, for I will do mine! Then the fates will know you as we know you.”
Old 06-13-2008, 09:39 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Except that a healthy Malkin is better than a healthy Crosby 10 times out of 10
10 times out of 10???

Better? I would say different but just as good. Let's see how both these guys pan out before we say Malkin is better 10 times out of 10.

That being said, you can make an arguement for Malkin or Ovechkin this year.
Never Forget 9/11, Be Diligent and Safe!
Vintage Collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 09:48 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Collector View Post
10 times out of 10???

Better? I would say different but just as good. Let's see how both these guys pan out before we say Malkin is better 10 times out of 10.

That being said, you can make an arguement for Malkin or Ovechkin this year.
True... But here's the easy way to look at it. Capitals without Ovechkin... team is definetly last place. Pens without Malkin, Still good team and top 2 or 3 team in division and has Crosby.
Old 06-13-2008, 12:31 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebacardi2 View Post
True... But here's the easy way to look at it. Capitals without Ovechkin... team is definetly last place. Pens without Malkin, Still good team and top 2 or 3 team in division and has Crosby.
Yeah, but that's because Crosby (#3 player in the league) is there. Put Malkin on the saddest sack team in the NHL and they push for the playoffs. Put Crosby on that team and that doesn't happen. Crosby needs players around him to be fully effective, Malkin doesn't.

Put Crosby on the Islanders and he turns Trent Hunter into a 30 goal man... and you miss the playoffs.

Put Malkin on the Islanders and he scores 50 goals because he had to be the man, and they may press for 8th place (they are a miserable team right now).

Anyway, its my opinion as far as players rank:

Tier 1: Ovechkin & Malkin
Tier 2: Crosby, LeCavalier, Iginla, Stastny
Tier 3: Mike Richards etc.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:38 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Yeah, but that's because Crosby (#3 player in the league) is there. Put Malkin on the saddest sack team in the NHL and they push for the playoffs. Put Crosby on that team and that doesn't happen. Crosby needs players around him to be fully effective, Malkin doesn't.

Put Crosby on the Islanders and he turns Trent Hunter into a 30 goal man... and you miss the playoffs.

Put Malkin on the Islanders and he scores 50 goals because he had to be the man, and they may press for 8th place (they are a miserable team right now).

Anyway, its my opinion as far as players rank:

Tier 1: Ovechkin & Malkin
Tier 2: Crosby, LeCavalier, Iginla, Stastny
Tier 3: Mike Richards etc.

totally agree. I would rather have ovechkin IMHO. But to each is own. I agree with your tiers. If Ovechkin and Malkin played the same style of hockey it would be so much easier to determine who is really better. Since they each have totally different styles there is always going to be this debate when they both have a great season like this past year. On a collectable note though Ovechkin's card's will always go for more than Malkin because he is so fun to watch and people love that.
Old 06-15-2008, 01:53 PM   #14 (permalink)

Crosby should not be compared to Ovechkin in one respect only. Malkin and Ovechkin were drafted in the same year, which make it more of a debate of who drafted the better player, the Penguins or Capitals. Crosby is compared to Ovechkin because of their NHL debuts during the same year and there was no comparable talent to Crosby in the fowards drafted in 2005.
EGRHOCKEYFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 03:33 PM   #15 (permalink)

I'll change the discussion alittle. Kane won R.O.Y. but Toews will be the better player for the Blackhawks.The Hawks will be fun to watch next year. If they get a goalie...

Kent
Kent Clements is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 10:00 AM   #16 (permalink)

1) Nabokov should have won the Vezina, he had the better numbers but Brodeur won because he is Brodeur.

2) Kane should have thanked Toews for being injured in his acceptance speech, it's the only reason he got it.

3) Crosby is still fundamentally, instinctively, and mentally the best player in the world right now, many seem to forget he was injured a good part of the year. Had he been healthy all year he would have been taking pictures with the Hart again instead of Ovechkin. I will however give Ovechkin credit for his physical play and goalscoring ability, hitting everyone in sight and still scoring 65 goals is pretty impressive and I think he'll be able to break 75-80 some year.

4) I would have liked to see Phaneuf win the Norris but in all honesty Lidstrom is the best defenseman in the league and probably the best European player to ever play in the NHL.

5) Malkin showed his true colors in the finals, breaking down and not having the energy or ambition to play anymore. He even said so himself, he was tired and couldn't handle the physical pounding he was taking night after night. I don't care if he scored 200 points in the regular season, you can have the skill but you need the heart too. This isn't the Russian Super League anymore, you have to play more than 50-60 games a year and compete with the best in the world.

Last edited by Inferno; 06-16-2008 at 10:06 AM.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 11:01 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
2) Kane should have thanked Toews for being injured in his acceptance speech, it's the only reason he got it.

3) Had he been healthy all year he would have been taking pictures with the Hart again instead of Ovechkin.

5) Malkin showed his true colors in the finals, breaking down and not having the energy or ambition to play anymore.

2) Nicklas Backstrom should have won the Calder trophy, he was the best rookie this year, then Carey Price, then Patrick Kane

3) If Crosby had the same season he had last year Ovechkin's season wins the Hart trophy anyway, so this is a foolish argument.

5) Its funny that you will give Crosby the benefit of the doubt yet when Malkin is playing with the flu and what is now described as concussion-like symptoms (although the guy always looks like he has a concussion-- can't market a player with such a blank expression on his face all the time) you say he shows his true colors. Yes, he's not Michael Jordan (who made the flu look a lot worse than it was according to Scottie Pippen), but no one is, not Sid, not Alex, maybe Tiger, but no one else I've ever seen. Its just that stupid anti-European bias that permeates your post.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:11 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Its just that stupid anti-European bias that permeates your post.
Anti-European bias? Did you not see where I said Lidstrom is the best defenseman in the NHL? Did I not give Ovechkin credit for his play? Backstrom is an excellent player but it helps to have a 65-goal man finishing your passes and tucking in your rebounds, Toews and Kane had each other (for the better part of the season) and some average veterans to work with. One can even make a case for Carey Price but he wasn't nominated and being sent down and called back up during the season doesn't warrant a nomination anyway. As for the Crosby debate, mark my words barring injury Crosby will lead the NHL in points again next year and contend for another Hart. Ovechkin will probably win another Rocket Richard and continue to win them over the course of his career, and for your information my favorite player of all time was Pavel Bure, a goal-scoring Russian like Ovechkin so don't you tell me in biased against Europeans.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:14 AM   #19 (permalink)

3) I agree with KMD, The Pens have so much more depth than the Capitals which was clearly shown during the regular season. Ovechkin carried that team into the playoffs. If Ovechkin was injured during the seaons like Crosby was, the Caps would have finished dead last in the conference.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:26 AM   #20 (permalink)

Thats the big difference between Ovechkin & Crosby. Ovechkin doesn't get injured!!! I forsee Crosby being injury plagued for the rest of his career. He is the next Lemieux. When both of their careers are done Ovechkin will be far above Crosby.

Also don't forget. Steven Stamkos is coming into the league next year!!! He's better than Crosby

checkoutmycards.com/Users/hockeyjunkie99
hockeyjunkie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 11:31 AM   #21 (permalink)

Thats true, Ovechkin carried the team on his back and pretty much single-handedly won the division. That lack of depth was their downfall in the playoffs which is the true test for any team. It's funny how quickly the arguments shift with this Crosby-Ovechkin thing. When Crosby put up 120 points and won the Hart while Ovechkin only had 92 everyone said "Oh maybe Ovechkin wasn't what we though he would be" and now that the tables turned and Ovechkin had a great year everyone says "Oh Crosby is all hype Ovechkin is the best". This kind of thing is good for the game but eventually the better player will win out in the end, I just happen to believe it will be Crosby.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:35 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Thats true, Ovechkin carried the team on his back and pretty much single-handedly won the division. That lack of depth was their downfall in the playoffs which is the true test for any team. It's funny how quickly the arguments shift with this Crosby-Ovechkin thing. When Crosby put up 120 points and won the Hart while Ovechkin only had 92 everyone said "Oh maybe Ovechkin wasn't what we though he would be" and now that the tables turned and Ovechkin had a great year everyone says "Oh Crosby is all hype Ovechkin is the best". This kind of thing is good for the game but eventually the better player will win out in the end, I just happen to believe it will be Crosby.
I have said and have no backed off my statement that Alex Ovechkin is the best player in the NHL. I said that 1/2 way through the 2005-06 season.

Malkin could push him, but that's about it. I haven't seen enough of Steve Stamkos, Tavares, or Filatov to even begin to discuss them.

Oh, and it proves you have a real global perspective when you say Nik Lidstrom is the best d-man in the NHL, that took a real leap of faith on your part. You should go join the UN.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:36 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyjunkie99 View Post
Thats the big difference between Ovechkin & Crosby. Ovechkin doesn't get injured!!! I forsee Crosby being injury plagued for the rest of his career. He is the next Lemieux. When both of their careers are done Ovechkin will be far above Crosby.

Also don't forget. Steven Stamkos is coming into the league next year!!! He's better than Crosby
And once Tavares comes in everybody will say he`s better than Stamkos It`s a time where the NHL is capitalizing on up-and-coming stars and finding the `next great one`.

And as for Lemieux, all things considered finishing 7th all-time in points isn`t too shabby even with all the injuries
Old 06-16-2008, 11:40 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
And once Tavares comes in everybody will say he`s better than Stamkos It`s a time where the NHL is capitalizing on up-and-coming stars and finding the `next great one`.

And as for Lemieux, all things considered finishing 7th all-time in points isn`t too shabby even with all the injuries
How much better could have the Pens been if he was healthy though. Maybe a couple of more SC's??

checkoutmycards.com/Users/hockeyjunkie99
hockeyjunkie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 11:54 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Oh, and it proves you have a real global perspective when you say Nik Lidstrom is the best d-man in the NHL, that took a real leap of faith on your part. You should go join the UN.
Okay, why are you attacking me? Because I don`t agree that Ovechkin is the best player in the NHL therefor I am biased against all European players? My favorite player is Pavel Bure, a Russian. The focus of my hockey card collection right now is Marian Gaborik, a Slovak. I think Evgeni Nabokov, a Russian, got shafted out of a Vezina because of Brodeur`s reputation. The best players are the best players, regardless of where they come from. If you think I`m going to praise Ovechkin, Malkin, or whoever just to be "politically correct" then you`re wrong. If Ovechkin goes on to great things and Crosby cans out then I will be wrong, if Ovechkin slacks off and Crosby does great things then you will be wrong. Nobody knows who will win out in the long run, but don`t attack me for favoring Crosby over the others.