Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2008, 10:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to pskell02
Default Pens fans rejoice

Just heard on FSN Pitt. that they will go to arbitration with Fleury and try and work out a long term deal, and even if they do not work something out he is still locked up for next season. Malkin said that he was ready to sign a new contract shortly after the July 1st signing date and also said that it will not take more than the $8.5 million that Crosby makes.

In my eyes now all me need is to sign Malone, Orpik, and Ruutu. Pascal Dupuis, Jeff Taffe, and Laraque would be nice to hang on to as well, but are not essential pieces.

Also, from the sounds of it Hossa really wants to stay and play with Sid, so hopefully that will mean he will sign for less than he can get elsewhere to stay with a team that will compete for the Cup again next year.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

Would be nice to keep all of them, but Hossa, Malone and Orpik will all have to agree to the hometown discount for that to be the case. Apparently, the Penguins are among a number of teams interested in signing defenseman Brian Campbell. If that interest is legitimate, Hossa and Orpik definitely won't be back.
The move with Fleury means the Pens have until the end of July (restricted free agents can start receiving offers starting July 1) to sign him to a longterm deal, which they surely will do.

Last edited by tooleman; 06-13-2008 at 11:03 PM.
tooleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 03:34 AM   #3 (permalink)

So what is Pittsburgh going to do when the arbitration offers him a butt load of money. Ya they might keep him from going anywhere, but they could still have salary cap problems.

Unless I am unformiliar with the process this could still bite them in the butt
Old 06-14-2008, 09:56 AM   #4 (permalink)

The Pens expect to sign Fleury to a long-term deal before the arbitration date of July 31. If they sign him to a deal, the arbitration hearing is moot. Filing for arbitration gives the team an extra month to negotiate.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:59 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the info tooleman.... guess that is one way to trick the system.
Old 06-14-2008, 10:05 AM   #6 (permalink)

Right. Both parties just say "forget arbitration, we've got a deal."
Old 06-15-2008, 07:05 AM   #7 (permalink)

The Pens won't be able to keep 1/2 of the guys. But that's ok. The WBS Penguins got to the Calder Cup finals, so Call 'em up!
MrSnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 07:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
NSCC Booth 1601

If I'm not mistaken, Malkin and Staal don't count against the cap for a few more years...not sure on that one though.

Here is the plan that I have been hearing.

1) They will resign Hossa. (He really wants to stay)
2) They won't be able to keep Malone and Orpik.
3) Eaton will replace Orpik in the lineup and Goligosky will probably find a place too.
4) Laraque is not coming back.
5) They may shop Ryan Whitney.
6) They really want to keep Dupuis for PK purposes.
7) Who the hell knows whats going to happen to Hal Gill.

That's about what I know as of now.
solt0131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 07:54 AM   #9 (permalink)

How do you not count against the salary cap????????? Please explain!
Old 06-15-2008, 08:36 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by solt0131 View Post
If I'm not mistaken, Malkin and Staal don't count against the cap for a few more years...not sure on that one though.

Here is the plan that I have been hearing.

1) They will resign Hossa. (He really wants to stay)
2) They won't be able to keep Malone and Orpik.
3) Eaton will replace Orpik in the lineup and Goligosky will probably find a place too.
4) Laraque is not coming back.
5) They may shop Ryan Whitney.
6) They really want to keep Dupuis for PK purposes.
7) Who the hell knows whats going to happen to Hal Gill.

That's about what I know as of now.
1) Hossa goes back to Atlanta or signs with Montreal, I'd guess Atlanta
2) They will probably be able to keep Malone, he is related to a higher up in Pittsburgh and is a Pittsburgh native
3) ??
4) If he signs for a low contract, why not?
5) I don't see that
6) Yeah, but Dupuis may want to return to Atlanta too
7) Doesn't really matter, they have a 6'7" beast on WBS they can call up that will be at least as good as Hal Gill
frozenntimesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 12:47 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooleman View Post
Would be nice to keep all of them, but Hossa, Malone and Orpik will all have to agree to the hometown discount for that to be the case. Apparently, the Penguins are among a number of teams interested in signing defenseman Brian Campbell. If that interest is legitimate, Hossa and Orpik definitely won't be back.
The move with Fleury means the Pens have until the end of July (restricted free agents can start receiving offers starting July 1) to sign him to a longterm deal, which they surely will do.
The main reason for going to arbitration was so other terms could not offer Fleury a contract, which the Penguins might be forced to match with no future goaltending talent. Most 3rd and 4th line players (Taffe, Ruutu, Laraque, Roberts, Hall, and their spare defenseman Eaton and number 4 defensemen Orpik will all move on including Malone. Malone will ask for 3-5 million as compared to Mike Fisher of Ottawa at 4 million. Laraque, Ruutu, and Roberts make 5 million combined and will likely sign elsewhere. Orpik will command 3-5 milllion on the open makret, since he is a physical stay at home defenseman, i.e., Komisarek (bargain at 2.5 million). Malkin will ask for 9-11 million, Hossa for at least 6-8 million, and Staal at 3-5 miillion, and Fleury 4-7.5 million . Remember, you have to pay the younger players top dollar in order to keep them in the new NHL, unlike the old NHL, where budding Stars were forced to swallow small increases in pay over time. They will sign for at least 5 years each. Just my opinion. Pittsburgh could turn into Tampa Bay if the cards don't fall in the right place.
EGRHOCKEYFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 01:46 PM   #12 (permalink)

So is anyone going to answer me on SOLT's comment about them not counting against the salary cap..... How is it possible for someone to be on the team and not count against the salary cap....
Old 06-15-2008, 03:45 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingin98 View Post
So is anyone going to answer me on SOLT's comment about them not counting against the salary cap..... How is it possible for someone to be on the team and not count against the salary cap....
Every players' salary counts against the salary cap. However, the new contract will kick in after their entry level contracts expire and will count the average salary toward the cap next season for Malkin and Staal. Crosby kicks in this year, so his huge salary will count against the cap. Malkin and Staal combine for 6 million next season toward the cap with bonuses. The new contracts count against the cap 09-10.
EGRHOCKEYFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 02:12 AM   #14 (permalink)

Thanks for the explanation. Wasn't thinking a smart guy like SOLT was full of it, so was curious how it all worked.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:09 AM   #15 (permalink)
NSCC Booth 1601

That's what I mean't EGR, his new contract won't count against the cap until his rookie contract has passed.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:11 AM   #16 (permalink)
NSCC Booth 1601

For some reason, I believe that they are going to keep Hossa over Malone....Hossa is a better fit at this point on Crosby's wing than Malone is and even though Malone is from Pittsburgh, I think he's going to take the big contract somewhere else.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:32 AM   #17 (permalink)

Are you Pens fans a little concerned that they maybe giving 75% of the cap money to four players???? I know it won't count until after the Rookie contacts, but that seems to be a lot of money dished out to not a lot of guys.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:00 PM   #18 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to pskell02

Flo - For all I'm concerned, they can get rid of Stall. He is a great defensive forward, but I'm starting to think that he will produce points like he did this past season for the rest of his career instead of the way he came out his rookie season.

I really would love to see them re-sign Malone, as he, Sykora and Malkin play very well together.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:14 PM   #19 (permalink)
NSCC Booth 1601

I'd rather have Staal - they need a top defensive forward and a strong penalty killer more than they need another scorer at this point.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:37 PM   #20 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to sblez

that is true solto
sblez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 06:50 AM   #21 (permalink)

I would love to see Hossa signed to give Sid a proper linemate. He has gone through alot of what Mario did in the 90's...no comparable players to complement him. Jagr played on the second line most of the time, not with Mario, with few exceptions in the playoffs or power plays.
nucemcsw is offline   Reply With Quote