Blowout Cards Forums
Black Friday 2014

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

HOCKEY Post your HOCKEY Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2008, 01:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default To Grade or not to Grade

So I just broke a box of spx 2005, and I got damn lucky
autojersey crosby out of 499
spxcitement crosby out of 999
mike richards, and jim howard out of 25
insanely amazing box. Do I get these graded if these are just for a pc?
I was perusing ebay and saw some guy got some card graded from beckett, his scores were 10, 9.5, 9.5, and 8, and he only got an 8.5. So I guess its not based on the average, how do they even calculate it. The crosby auto jersey has a small knick on the short side, barely noticeable, but the rest is in pristine shape. will that cause a crappy grade from beckett?
Isles80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 01:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

Save you money on the Crosby, Gem 10 is not even close to possible if you have a defect noticable to the naked eye.
Old 06-14-2008, 01:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

BGS grades are never more than .5 higher than the lowest subgrade. at least this is how i understand it. if they are for the PC, get them encased without being graded.... or send them in but specify that if they grade less than a 9, that you only want them encased and not graded. (sort of killing two birds with one stone).
Old 06-14-2008, 01:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles80 View Post
So I just broke a box of spx 2005, and I got damn lucky
autojersey crosby out of 499
spxcitement crosby out of 999
mike richards, and jim howard out of 25
insanely amazing box. Do I get these graded if these are just for a pc?
I was perusing ebay and saw some guy got some card graded from beckett, his scores were 10, 9.5, 9.5, and 8, and he only got an 8.5. So I guess its not based on the average, how do they even calculate it. The crosby auto jersey has a small knick on the short side, barely noticeable, but the rest is in pristine shape. will that cause a crappy grade from beckett?

LOL. Do not grade it. Waste of time. Beckett is a bunch of crazy people putting whatever numbers on the cards as they want. I know this for a fact, I got a card graded(sent in to beckett) came back a 9.5, I then went and had it graded at a show(locally) they gave it a 8.5... They are a bunch of crooks. There is no rythme or reason on how they grade.. If you going to get it graded send it to PSA!. If you were to send it in of course the nick would knock it down a .5 probably so if it's a 9.5 you would most likely average a 9.0if face is clean and auto is crisp.
Old 06-14-2008, 01:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

do any of the other cards pay to grade if they look in pristine condition? Im so confused at to what to do, I should probably just enjoy it as they are. Is grading mainly a selling tool? I just want to hand these down to little isles80's
Isles80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 03:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles80 View Post
do any of the other cards pay to grade if they look in pristine condition? Im so confused at to what to do, I should probably just enjoy it as they are. Is grading mainly a selling tool? I just want to hand these down to little isles80's
its only a selling tool and a way to try and get more money for your card. It just proves to the buyer that this card is in emacualte condition (BGS 10). If you are just handing them down just put them in good protective casees and you'll be fine. It is really only worth it to grade high end cards if your going to sell them.
Old 06-14-2008, 06:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

I would grade them.
“Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes. You must look into that storm and shout as you did in Rome. Do your worst, for I will do mine! Then the fates will know you as we know you.”
frozenntimesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 12:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

Check ebay first before getting them graded. A chip in the Crosby will bring the grade down to a 7 or possibly an 8. A card that is mint at 9 does not have any chipping at all. It will devalue the Crosby card, but if no chipping is observed on the other cards and centering is 60/40, then get them graded if there is a demand for them.
EGRHOCKEYFAN is offline   Reply With Quote