Blowout Cards Forums

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > THE MARKETPLACE > Member Sales/Trade Feedback

Member Sales/Trade Feedback Share feedback on Buyers, Sellers, and Traders

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2011, 12:05 AM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to dreamweaver1984
Default Some tips to not getting ripped off by people

Steps to avoid getting ripped off:

Im posting this because it seems there is a big influx of scammers out there..(and no iv never had that happen cause i follow these rules.) - i posted part of these things in other places before
Please Post anything you feel would help as well.

as a seller:
ONLY accept Paypal or Cash (no GIFT paypal payments either)
Ship Through Paypal (print the label from paypal) it automatically includes deliv conf.
on any order you make, agree to a price on the card, then the price on shipping and insurance. Typically shipping 1-10 cards will cost around 1.90, insurance will run in the 2-4 dollars depending on the card, Agree on somewhere from 2-6 dollars in Shipping/Insurance cost. (lower value cards dont really need insurance)

Buyers and sellers alike should look for this to be standard for the seller you are dealing with. If anything seems strange walk away.

If a buyer is not willing to pay extra to make sure you get insurance on a valued card walk away. if a seller is not willing to send a card with insurance and deliv confirmation walk away.

these things are common sense, but everyone wants to save a buck or 2. if you cant afford to pay a extra 2.00 to make sure buyer sends and seller receives without a hitch, you shouldnt be dealing cards anyway.

MOST OF ALL FOLLOW UP: as a buyer and seller follow up with those you do business with.. i am currently doing a deal on here for some rookie basketball cards, ask when they plan to ship, and to send a tracking # when they ship and to give it to you so you can track the package as well.

I know it might seem crazy to follow up with people you buy or sell to/from, but you should.

Regardless if paypal makes more money than they deserve dont cheat the system, your only cheating yourself. If someone asks me to pay as gift, the only way i will, is if i have done lots of business with them already.

in the event that something goes wrong NEVER make personal threats.
give people time (approx 3-4 days to get a response to you) before opening a case on paypal.

Be respectful of the other persons time as well as your own.
Kobe Bryant Totally Certified Black 1/1 AUTO
dreamweaver1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 12:21 AM   #2 (permalink)

I follow up by PM & making sure my DC# wasn't lying to me To ensure the buyer/trader got it for sure, it also helps to remind em to leave feedback if they didn't alreay lol!!! All good points & thanks for the thread....
pmannings#1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 01:45 AM   #3 (permalink)

Great tip as well, and i like ur sig lol
Old 05-14-2011, 07:32 AM   #4 (permalink)

Great article...should be a sticky
TheHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

Great article...I would also add to just use your common sense and trust your instincts.

Also, if the person types like this:

i lik ur cardz want 2 trad 4 sum of min?

then I generally try to stay away.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonNut View Post
Great article...I would also add to just use your common sense and trust your instincts.

Also, if the person types like this:

i lik ur cardz want 2 trad 4 sum of min?

then I generally try to stay away.
Good point. If they have a hard time communicating, stay away.
WCTYSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

Just to clarify - the responsibility of "fees" should not fall on the buyer. There is nothing I hate more than having an offer countered by the seller for an extra couple of bucks to "cover my fees." Horsesh!t. If we only deal in "goods" payments, build the "fees" into your asking price.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:38 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kajshack View Post
Just to clarify - the responsibility of "fees" should not fall on the buyer. There is nothing I hate more than having an offer countered by the seller for an extra couple of bucks to "cover my fees." Horsesh!t. If we only deal in "goods" payments, build the "fees" into your asking price.
I think if the seller say GOODs & DLVD in his thread then it should be clear as crystal!!!!! I consider the fees as a cost in business just printing paper, bubble mailers & tape are a cost of business. Plus it's BOLD in my signature!!
pmannings#1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 07:54 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmannings#1fan View Post
I think if the seller say GOODs & DLVD in his thread then it should be clear as crystal!!!!! I consider the fees as a cost in business just printing paper, bubble mailers & tape are a cost of business. Plus it's BOLD in my signature!!
Ya, each seller can make his own determination on how fees work, ie, and those costs.

I just wrote out the steps i take, you can make your own determinations as a seller. alot of people do write DLVD or goods+shipping.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:58 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
As a seller, i dont charge for the price of supplies, or anything of that nature, just the cost of actually shipping and insurance if it applies.

Im sry if you hate it when a seller wants the buyer to cover at least part of the costs involved, but honestly, the seller is taking all the risk because if the cards get lost in the mail then the seller loses out and has to refund the money to the buyer.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:25 AM   #11 (permalink)

Another piece of advice I can give is to be careful of dealing with people who post for sale threads and you say you want something from there thread and they dont respond to the thread or your pm requesting there paypal addy for 3 days, yet they are online the whole time. If it takes someone 3 days to respond to a pm imagine how long it will take them to mail something out. I will never understand why someone would go through the trouble of scanning, pricing and making a sale thread and then not respond to anyone who shows intrest. That makes no sense whatsoever.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:33 AM   #12 (permalink)

This is your friend.

PayPal Fee Calculator by Ryan Olbe
Old 05-15-2011, 06:25 PM   #13 (permalink)

+1 56lights and cking
Old 05-16-2011, 12:20 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamweaver1984 View Post
As a seller, i dont charge for the price of supplies, or anything of that nature, just the cost of actually shipping and insurance if it applies.

Im sry if you hate it when a seller wants the buyer to cover at least part of the costs involved, but honestly, the seller is taking all the risk because if the cards get lost in the mail then the seller loses out and has to refund the money to the buyer.
I think you misunderstood my post. I was specifically talking about exchanges like this (which are extremely common on this board):

Seller: "I have X card for sale. $100 dlvd OBO"
Me: "Would you take $90 for it?"
Seller: "Sure, send gift payment to x@x .com."
Me: I don't send gift"
Seller: "Then could you kick in $8 to cover the fees and delivery?"
Old 05-16-2011, 02:25 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
I think you misunderstood my post. I was specifically talking about exchanges like this (which are extremely common on this board):

Seller: "I have X card for sale. $100 dlvd OBO"
Me: "Would you take $90 for it?"
Seller: "Sure, send gift payment to x@x .com."
Me: I don't send gift"
Seller: "Then could you kick in $8 to cover the fees and delivery?"

I see what ur saying, and you raise a good point, and as long as buyers continue to "ask for gift payments" this will be a issue, Mabye a rule on this site should be NO GIFT Payment requests allowed. if they are asking for 8 dollars to cover fees and deliv then that is also rediculas. (i would say for a 90 dollar card fees and shipping wont be over 2.50-3.50 (even with insurance)

Regardless All Listings Should be listed As IF they are Regular Payments through Paypal, and it can be at the Buyers discretion to use gift if they want to give the seller a break because they have done some deals with them in the past, the seller should never request it though.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:09 PM   #16 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

Ok well here is probably an uncommon question, but what do you do, or can you do, if you forgot to get delivery conformation, i'm new to this and i just shipped somthing for the first time the other day , got insurrance and everything but it was all a lil overwhelming and I forgot to get DC. I'm pretty sure the guy i'm dealing with is honest, but whats to stop him from saying that they never came, even if i did buy insurrance
jtayne1323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:11 PM   #17 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

Oh heres the kicker, I sent the cards First and have no recieved payment, I sent because I already had several people ask me to do so because i had no feed back, so as a new user what was i suposed to do thought it was the way to good feedback
Old 06-05-2011, 11:12 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtayne1323 View Post
Ok well here is probably an uncommon question, but what do you do, or can you do, if you forgot to get delivery conformation, i'm new to this and i just shipped somthing for the first time the other day , got insurrance and everything but it was all a lil overwhelming and I forgot to get DC. I'm pretty sure the guy i'm dealing with is honest, but whats to stop him from saying that they never came, even if i did buy insurrance
I use DC like 5% of the time and I have yet to ever have any problems. I do only deal with members I trust but honestly that is most of the people around here! Good luck and I'm sure it will work out fine.
ManInTheMirror is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:13 PM   #19 (permalink)

If you bought insurance, you should be able to check that it was delivered as insurance has it's own tracking. At least that's how I understand it.

I wouldn't worry about it getting there. Hopefully you get paid once your cards arrive.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:11 AM   #20 (permalink)

As a seller, there is not need to send first. The buyer is protected through payapl. Now if you are trading on here, the common practice is that you would send first on a trade to a member with high feedback. If the card/s are less than $100 dollars I do not usually bother with the insurance unless requested but I always do delivery confirmation on items over $10. That is for the buyer and sellers safety.
WCTYSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:26 PM   #21 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

Yeah understood which i've been told that before. The first few days on here i was aproached by alot of guys that were trying to buy but get me to send first. I should have known somthing was up but thats ok i saved all my messages for the deal and should be able to make negative feedback stick on this guy
Old 06-06-2011, 01:31 PM   #22 (permalink)
XL5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwheeler27 View Post
If you bought insurance, you should be able to check that it was delivered as insurance has it's own tracking. At least that's how I understand it.

I wouldn't worry about it getting there. Hopefully you get paid once your cards arrive.
This is correct, insurance includes delivery confirmation. You should be able to track it exactly the same as if you had DC.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:52 PM   #23 (permalink)

I think this needs a bump as more people are sending GIFT and getting scammed...
Also mods are

iluvfish2
pskell02
blowoutcards2

and if the admins:

blowoutcards
blowoutcards2
pat_blowoutcards
http://sportscardalbum.com/u/cactuspies
RIP Mom 10/8/09, PAPAJIM 11/22/10
Cactuspies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:41 PM   #24 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactuspies View Post
I think this needs a bump as more people are sending GIFT and getting scammed...
I'm sorry but if you are dumb enough to send gift then you deserve to get scammed. I can count the number of people here I would send a "gift" to on one hand without using my thumb.

Does it mean I won't get ripped off? No but I sure as hell am not sening a gift to 99.999999% of this community.
jlzinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 03:44 AM   #25 (permalink)

why on earth in a sale would you send before getting payment???