Blowout Cards Forums
Start Your Reign of Domination Now with GetTheMachine.com!

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > THE MARKETPLACE > Member Sales/Trade Feedback

Member Sales/Trade Feedback Share feedback on Buyers, Sellers, and Traders

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2011, 07:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Tips & Ideas on how to handle high dollar transactions (TRADES) & not get ripped off!

Hey guys. Lately we've seen quite a few higher dollar scams rolling through here, and in the interest of protecting the members I took some time out to think about the best ways to stop one and done scams. Here is a list of tools to help keep you from being scammed by donkeys who like to rip people off.

1. When trading anything high dollar ( I would say 50+ dollars or 100+) then use a middle man.This is hands down the best way to get a high dollar transaction done, and require the middle man to make a video of both items coming in for verification should there be an issue later.

This person would receive the card from both parties and then ship out to both parties. It takes longer, but is well worth it, and I would only use this option with people with a 100+ feedback rating that both people trust. Just pay for the guy to ship for you on both ends and maybe a card for his trouble and everyone is happy.

2. Make a video. I only have had a few high dollar transactions both here and on ebay, and those times I showed the card going into the package along with the front and back of the card in the video, along with the mailing address of where it is going. This way should a problem arise you at least have some sort of evidence. It's not much really, but it may help a dispute.

3. NEVER erase PM's until your transaction is complete. Also if you have not already done so then link your PM's to your email so that should you want to erase your PM's for some reason you still have a record of the transaction.

4. Always Insure it. If it's over 50 bucks in my opinion it needs insurance. Some people here can't afford it so the few bucks is worth it rather than getting the shaft. bottom line: DON'T BE CHEAP. It's only a few dollars and 99% of us have that or we wouldn't be here. Even if you know the member your package can get lost in the mail so insure it no matter what.

5. Get signature confirmation. Another way to further protect yourself. If the guy signed for it he will have a hard time explaining that he didn't get it.

6. Great idea provided by Tyler: Use a hologram sticky over your top loader to protect against switching of cards. If thee hologram is broken you got had. Here is a link provided by Tyler.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53...3ht_500wt_1156

7. Great idea added by iluvfish2: Communicate in a PROFESSIONAL manner. It's a trade or sale so although many of us become friends, it's still a transaction and should be treated as such. Bad communication= bad deal.

8. Consider other means of protecting yourself. The last few scams got me to thinking about ways to protect myself from scammers. I am currently looking into bar codes. It looks like you can get them pretty cheap and possibly may protect you further.

9. Added by SJ Scout: If you do not know the person, try to finalize the trade over the telephone. ( this assures your not talking with a 12 year old and also gives you future contact info)

10. Added by SJ Scout: Tell them you would like their actual email address to confirm.

11. Added by SJ Scout: it doesnt hurt to get facebook info....even add them as a friend....can't hurt.

You can never fully protect yourself from thieves as they are everywhere, but I hope these things help you in making better high end deals. I just get mad when anyone here gets ripped off. Steams me up.

If you have ideas post them in this thread and lets bump it often to remind people to follow good trading practices.

MY PC NFS/NFT: http://www.zistle.com/bboi30/collections/baseball

Last edited by bboi30; 06-25-2011 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Adding ideas
bboi30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

I love you so much bboi!!!
mmbtvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbtvs View Post
I love you so much bboi!!!
Thank you sir.

Old 06-24-2011, 07:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'd like to add a tip. Use these suckers:

100 Security Warranty Hologram Label Stickers - eBay (item 330571424512 end time Jun-30-11 07:43:58 PDT)

Stick them across your toploaders. Only accept a return if the sticker is intact.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post

100 Security Warranty Hologram Label Stickers - eBay (item 330571424512 end time Jun-30-11 07:43:58 PDT)

Stick them across your toploaders. Only accept a return if the sticker is intact.
Thanks for this tip
Old 06-24-2011, 08:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

This should be a sticky!
TheHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

So very true about the PMs. I keep those bad boys until a few days after each person gets his end of the deal. Never had a problem yet, but keeping those as records are a must. If you do use a middleman, you would have to choose really well because each party could end up getting ripped off. With that said, I am offering my service for any and all high dollar trades and sales. I promise nothing will go missing....maybe.
ilovethelakings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovethelakings View Post
So very true about the PMs. I keep those bad boys until a few days after each person gets his end of the deal. Never had a problem yet, but keeping those as records are a must. If you do use a middleman, you would have to choose really well because each party could end up getting ripped off. With that said, I am offering my service for any and all high dollar trades and sales. I promise nothing will go missing....maybe.
I love you too kings.
mmbtvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:39 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbtvs View Post
I love you too kings.
I can feel the love Really though, if you do use a middleman, you gotta be sure it is somebody that each party has dealt with multiple times or somebody with a stellar rep, like one of the mods.
ilovethelakings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:51 PM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to iluvfish2 Send a message via Yahoo to iluvfish2

Good info. but you forgot the most important one...Dont be an @$$ or quit communicating with the person. I see more reports on this than anything. If something came up and you can't ship that day, probably ok...but let the person know. That being said, if you didnt get it out yesterday, then make it a priority to get it out today.

Personally for me...to the seller/trader...dont remove the photo from your photobucket (or move it), just edit your thread as sold (or sold to XX). This way the picture stays visible to the buyer.

When in doubt go to the post office and pay for the delivery confirmation. Downside here means you need to give them the tracking number (and until the deal is done - dont throw away the receipt). This way the person on the other end isnt stuck with electronic shipment notification as a status.

Not sure it was stated, but probably hinted. But scans of the front and back and keeping track of the serial numbering on the card or graded label can be of help if something happens.

But putting in the effort to securely package and ship something goes right along with what you've said. I dont care if its a .50 card or 500 buck card. Sleeve and topload it. Secure the card (tape or team bag. But make sure its not going to move around. Want extra packing material and dont have any...save your old bubble mailers and cut them into thirds. This not only covers the entire card with minimal weight, but adds additional protection and thickness. Also cant hurt to put the famous "PLEASE DO NOT BEND" on the package.

I know as long as my expenses are covered (postage, paypal shipping labels, and bubble mailers), I'll gladly act as a third party for anyone needing one as I know a few others that will as well.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:00 PM   #11 (permalink)

Another thing that is really important to me along with protection and communication is posting the details (even vaguely) on a post to have some record of the transaction. If you and another member make a deal via pm, it still needs to be posted. That way there is no double dealing, etc.
WCTYSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:11 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCTYSON View Post
Another thing that is really important to me along with protection and communication is posting the details (even vaguely) on a post to have some record of the transaction. If you and another member make a deal via pm, it still needs to be posted. That way there is no double dealing, etc.
Blowout to this point has actually outlawed this. I'll bring this back up and maybe we can create a deals subforum since there is no trade manager.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:14 PM   #13 (permalink)

All good information here

ALWAYS PAY AS GOODS

I always pay goods. $1 to $1000. If its anything under 20 bucks, I always cover fees as well. I know people want gift for cheap stuff but I still pay goods and just cover the few cents in fees.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:19 PM   #14 (permalink)

Not overly pertinent for trades blake. I added Trades to the title to help, but editing and adding a link to a few of the other deal suggestion threads isnt a bad idea.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:23 PM   #15 (permalink)

I see now, No wonder I didnt see this mentioned
Old 06-24-2011, 11:46 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post

Great suggestion! Can't wait to start using these!
Old 06-25-2011, 12:25 AM   #17 (permalink)

Great ideas guys keep them coming. I edited the thread to make sure the ideas were added so people hopefully read the stickies and become more aware.

I also think the holograms on the top loaders for high end deals are an excellent idea. Those should become the mainstay for all high end deals.

This is why we join a forum guys to make sure we help each other,and cumbiya and sht lol.

Old 06-25-2011, 01:06 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvfish2 View Post
Blowout to this point has actually outlawed this. I'll bring this back up and maybe we can create a deals subforum since there is no trade manager.
I post the details of a B/S/T on the forum all the time. Am I doing something wrong without knowing it? I know B.O. does not want people posting in other areas about transaction details. What is the reason behind this BTW? I think a subforum to the B/S/T would be great for this, if it had a link to the original thread. Any way to do that?
WCTYSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 07:13 PM   #19 (permalink)

I am new here and am primarily a seller on ebay, and really not into trading as it just seems so problematic! a few things i wanted to throw in...

1) If you do not know the person, finalize the trade over the telephone. ( this assures your not talking with a 12 year old and also gives you future contact info)

2) Tell them you would like their actual email address to confirm. copy and past the pm's to your email and theirs and ask them to reply back.

3) it doesnt hurt to get facebook info....even add them as a friend....can't hurt

4) if your an ebayer and someone makes an offer on something of value... review their feedback, look at their past purchases, look at the feedback they received, and the feedback they have given, these are all indicators...i recently had an offer of 2100 from a guy with a 51 feedback on an item. i reviewed everything about him before accepting, even googled him to make sure he was legit! he paid within 10 minutes... Basically use your resources!

Seriously, its all about being smart.... i got scammed once or twice a few years ago, but honeslty i have had about 4000 transactions as a seller and 99.9 percent are generally great! Just use your HEad ( the big one)
sjscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:05 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjscout View Post
I am new here and am primarily a seller on ebay, and really not into trading as it just seems so problematic! a few things i wanted to throw in...

1) If you do not know the person, finalize the trade over the telephone. ( this assures your not talking with a 12 year old and also gives you future contact info)

2) Tell them you would like their actual email address to confirm. copy and past the pm's to your email and theirs and ask them to reply back.

3) it doesnt hurt to get facebook info....even add them as a friend....can't hurt

4) if your an ebayer and someone makes an offer on something of value... review their feedback, look at their past purchases, look at the feedback they received, and the feedback they have given, these are all indicators...i recently had an offer of 2100 from a guy with a 51 feedback on an item. i reviewed everything about him before accepting, even googled him to make sure he was legit! he paid within 10 minutes... Basically use your resources!

Seriously, its all about being smart.... i got scammed once or twice a few years ago, but honeslty i have had about 4000 transactions as a seller and 99.9 percent are generally great! Just use your HEad ( the big one)
I added some of your ideas to the initial post. No need to copy and paste the Pm's to email though if you have your email linked to your pm's. There is an option for that, and the ebay option #12 is not gonna work for trades here, but the other suggestions like the phone number may be something to look into as well if people are willing to do that.

You may find though that people will not easily give up this info on a public forum. Whether by pm or in public. Good suggestions though and keep them coming.

Old 09-09-2013, 03:30 PM   #21 (permalink)

2 year bump
ricksam is offline   Reply With Quote