Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > THE MARKETPLACE > Member Sales/Trade Feedback

Member Sales/Trade Feedback Share feedback on Buyers, Sellers, and Traders

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2012, 07:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Shipping from Canada to the U.S.

I have a pending deal on the boards with Walking Dead cards on their way from Canada. I didn't want to do this because I don't want to throw the seller under the bus or anything but I just wanted to know if anyone has a lot of experience with shipping across the border.

I'm located in Wisconsin and the cards are coming from Ontario but it's been 32-33 days (the cards were shipped on 3/16/12, or pretty close to). Unfortunately there's no tracking on the box but I want to know if anyone else has dealt with a package taking this long.

Any help is appreciated, once again this isn't to throw the seller under the bus (if he wants to comment he can) but I just want to know if anyone else has dealt with a lead time like this. Needless to say that I'm getting a little impatient after many weeks of waiting.

Thanks,

Mark
durstlimpbizkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

Be aware this is customs you are dealing with, and in this day and time I would possibly give it another week?
SerialKilnWalkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

I've tried to keep a level head on this one. I'm going to wait until Friday and if it still isn't here then I'll open a dispute on Paypal just to protect myself. I'd be at 37 days and it's nothing personal to the seller either.

I really really want these cards. So I'm willing to wait a few more days too.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

I agree with you and understand what you mean. Maybe someone else has some insight on customs and shipping times here...
SerialKilnWalkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

canada can take a long time, havent sent and recieved from there a lot, but it can be a bit
Old 04-17-2012, 08:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

as a canadian seller, I can tell you that it is not uncommon for parcels to take 2 months to arrive at an american destination. Lettermail takes a couple of weeks typically, and there are expedited parcel options that get there quickly as well. But the regular parcel by land or even air can take a long time. Nothing to worry about, you can file a claim up until..45 days is it? so your protected either way as long as you don't think the seller scammed you theres no harm in waiting.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

I've shipped and received cards from Canada and it can take 3-4 weeks to receive the cards sometimes. I say give it a few more days.
Topps Poker Chip Autos
Shaq gu/autos in Laker uniform only
CandyMan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:02 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for all the replies, once again this isn't to rag on the seller. He gave me a great deal and has had good feedback so far so I'm not worried about him. I just wanted to know what kind of lead times you guys have seen and yes, I can file the claim just in case if I need to which is why I'm fine with waiting a few more days.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:04 PM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to iluvfish2 Send a message via Yahoo to iluvfish2

Things go to Canada much quicker than they come from Canada. Typically for me I'd be more concerned if you'd had any lack of communication.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Just a bit more information on this.

I did a couple of test mails to the US to certain parts and found some interesting facts.

I sent to CA, TX and FL.

When sending to CA and TX the shipments sometimes left from mid and west coast borders. When sending to FL it left from the east coast.

#1 - Parcels (non paper mail) 80% of the time gets held up by US customs. Because you can send regular mail to the US in a small bubbler mailer at reg price $3.15, people sometimes get away with it without declaring whats inside.

for non parcel mail, you dont have declare anything. But as soon as you add in a paperclip, toploader or anything that is NOT paper, you MUST declare whats in the package that is not paper. If you dont and they suspect anything else besides paper, you get put into a US customs investigation bin. If you are lucky, your package can get away with it.

If you want your package from Canada to get to a US destination faster, just declare whats inside. That way US customs just processes your stuff. Otherwise they question and hold up anything non paper. It means filling out the white customs forms. Yes it takes a few minutes more, but your packages will arrive days even weeks earlier.

For high end items use xpress post Value packs. $23 flat so as long as it fits in the envelope pre pay.
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:50 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post

I did a couple of test mails to the US to certain parts and found some interesting facts.

I sent to CA, TX and FL.

When sending to CA and TX the shipments sometimes left from mid and west coast borders. When sending to FL it left from the east coast.

#1 - Parcels (non paper mail) 80% of the time gets held up by US customs. Because you can send regular mail to the US in a small bubbler mailer at reg price $3.15, people sometimes get away with it without declaring whats inside.

for non parcel mail, you dont have declare anything. But as soon as you add in a paperclip, toploader or anything that is NOT paper, you MUST declare whats in the package that is not paper. If you dont and they suspect anything else besides paper, you get put into a US customs investigation bin. If you are lucky, your package can get away with it.

If you want your package from Canada to get to a US destination faster, just declare whats inside. That way US customs just processes your stuff. Otherwise they question and hold up anything non paper. It means filling out the white customs forms. Yes it takes a few minutes more, but your packages will arrive days even weeks earlier.

For high end items use xpress post Value packs. $23 flat so as long as it fits in the envelope pre pay.
Good info...I've pretty much done this exclusively (only sent registered 1-2 times) and never had any problems shipping to Canada.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonValdez View Post
Good info...I've pretty much done this exclusively (only sent registered 1-2 times) and never had any problems shipping to Canada.
I think US senders sending to Canada dont have much issues. Canadian customs dont give a crap about whats inside so as long as you put a value and pay our taxes. All they care is that you pay 13% tax/duty on any value over $50 to $100. You can send a dirty toilet paper, itll get through. If you put a value of $1000 on it, ill be hit with a $130 tax even if its not worth that.

That being said, I fully encourage people to declare value. Just be a bit sympathetic on value since we have to pay a tax on it lol.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:55 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:

I sent to CA, TX and FL.

Thanks a ton for this info. This really helps put things into perspective and I've had good communication with the seller so I'm not concerned about him having mailed it. This is probably what ended up happening.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:25 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
I think US senders sending to Canada dont have much issues. Canadian customs dont give a crap about whats inside so as long as you put a value and pay our taxes. All they care is that you pay 13% tax/duty on any value over $50 to $100. You can send a dirty toilet paper, itll get through. If you put a value of $1000 on it, ill be hit with a $130 tax even if its not worth that.

That being said, I fully encourage people to declare value. Just be a bit sympathetic on value since we have to pay a tax on it lol.
I always say it's a gift...is there any problem with that?
Old 04-18-2012, 01:08 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Other than perjuring yourself and committing a federal offense its not a big deal.
cruiserdaddy7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:52 AM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Putting something as a gift is not breaking the law. It truly is a gift if your intentions are for it to be a gift. Its just a play on words.

If I buy something from you for $10 that usually sells for $50, it pretty much is a gift. Ive had to pay duties on gift items as well. If customs determines what I bought could possibly be for resale eventhough its quoted as being gift, they will tax me.

For example you send me a couple of boxes of bowman chrome wax. You put gift and they open it up, they will charge me tax no matter what
Old 04-18-2012, 01:48 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Putting something as a gift is not breaking the law. It truly is a gift if your intentions are for it to be a gift. Its just a play on words.

If I buy something from you for $10 that usually sells for $50, it pretty much is a gift. Ive had to pay duties on gift items as well. If customs determines what I bought could possibly be for resale eventhough its quoted as being gift, they will tax me.

For example you send me a couple of boxes of bowman chrome wax. You put gift and they open it up, they will charge me tax no matter what
I've pretty much only done it for trades and lower end sales (anything under $25). If it's something high end enough, I'm sending registered and I'll work with the buyer for whatever he has to pays (although it's only happened twice).
Old 04-18-2012, 02:42 PM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
I've pretty much only done it for trades and lower end sales (anything under $25). If it's something high end enough, I'm sending registered and I'll work with the buyer for whatever he has to pays (although it's only happened twice).
90% of the high end stuff I buy on ebay from sellers gets sent with a declaring value low enough that I dont have to pay. These types of sellers get my repeat business. If you choose not to and charge me the duties because you felt the need to ding me then Ill follow through with a low dsr rating for the seller. I mean if you play by the rules, then im forced to play by the rules and be honest on my feedback to the seller.

Most seller are willing to work with it. This also helps your auctions. If I need to factor in 30% more for a card then I wont bid as high on the card as well. Seller loses out again with not getting top dollar.

The hardest place I get hit is on BGS submissions. If I send in $5000 worth of cards and they grade it send it back to me with a value of $5000, I have to pay $650 plus $50 in brokerage fees as well. Thats $700 tax on cards I didnt buy but had appraised. In order for me to get that money back, I must provide proof to the govt that I owned the cards and they were sent for appraisal. Usually takes about 5 months to get your money back and thats if they decide to give you the money. All this because someone wasnt willing to fill out the declaration form with "replacement" "graded/appraisal". Just a few words could save me hundreds of dollar and months of waiting.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:50 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvfish2 View Post
Things go to Canada much quicker than they come from Canada. Typically for me I'd be more concerned if you'd had any lack of communication.

This isn't true. I live in Toronto and sometimes Items I ship get to the US in 4 days, sometimes it's 3-4 weeks. When I receive items from the US it's about the same, sometimes quick, sometimes it takes up to a month. There is really no method to the shipping madness.

Ideally, if you are receiving a high end item, it's best to pay the extra money to ship with tracking. It's about 15 bucks to ship to the US with tracking (25 for signature confirmation) but it could be worth the peace of mind if you have a high end package and you want to receive it quicker.

The other day I shipped 3 Jay Bruce BGS auto's to a buyer in the states. It cost me 15 to ship, but he got it in 2 days and was happy. Again, if the items you are buying are cheap, probably not worth it, but if it's higher end, spend the extra if you're worried.

That is all.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:14 PM   #20 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsnider45 View Post
This isn't true. I live in Toronto and sometimes Items I ship get to the US in 4 days, sometimes it's 3-4 weeks. When I receive items from the US it's about the same, sometimes quick, sometimes it takes up to a month. There is really no method to the shipping madness.

Ideally, if you are receiving a high end item, it's best to pay the extra money to ship with tracking. It's about 15 bucks to ship to the US with tracking (25 for signature confirmation) but it could be worth the peace of mind if you have a high end package and you want to receive it quicker.

The other day I shipped 3 Jay Bruce BGS auto's to a buyer in the states. It cost me 15 to ship, but he got it in 2 days and was happy. Again, if the items you are buying are cheap, probably not worth it, but if it's higher end, spend the extra if you're worried.

That is all.
Which service did you use for $15?

I use xpresspost mailers to the US. They run about $23 each. Im looking for an alternative to xpresspost.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:21 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Which service did you use for $15?

I use xpresspost mailers to the US. They run about $23 each. Im looking for an alternative to xpresspost.
It's expedited parcel to the US. Comes with tracking information and it's pretty quick. They told me it's guaranteed in 4 business days, but the times I've used it, it's arrived within 2 days both times.

The 23 dollar option is the signature confirmation option. I've used that once as well, but the 15 dollar option is much better as long as the buyer agrees to pay for it.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:57 PM   #22 (permalink)

I just completed a trade with a guy in Vancouver. He sent it last tuesday and i received it this past tuesday.

All the times ive traded with him its taken about a week.
Basketball - Durant, Tyler Hansbrough
SB876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:38 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB876 View Post
I just completed a trade with a guy in Vancouver. He sent it last tuesday and i received it this past tuesday.

All the times ive traded with him its taken about a week.
It could be the location... I've heard that the facility that processes inbound shipments from Canada to the Midwest is in Michigan. I've also heard it's notoriously slow too... I don't know... I'm not sure if or when they'll show up, but we're now looking at 1 month and 5 days.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:39 PM   #24 (permalink)

Well tomorrow will be the 5 week mark. Nothing came in the mail today... hopefully it'll show up tomorrow or within the next week.

I am waiting on another parcel from Newfoundland and am hoping to see those a little bit sooner than 5 weeks but you never with how the border works.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:34 PM   #25 (permalink)
Banned

To be honest, 5 weeks is a stretch. Shouldnt take that long at all.