Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > THE MARKETPLACE > Member Sales/Trade Feedback

Member Sales/Trade Feedback Share feedback on Buyers, Sellers, and Traders

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2012, 06:57 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Whose side would you take?

First things first, the issue was "resolved," meaning there's nothing more to be done, but I am curious what people think about the situation.

Starts off with me PMing a guy about a pair of Mike Trout Autos, and whether or not he would be willing to sell or trade them. The two were a 2010 Bowman Platinum Refractor Auto, and a 2011 Bowman Sterling Refractor Auto /109.

He writes back saying that he would sell both for $170. This was only about a month ago, so this was a fantastic deal, and I immediately reply that it's a deal.

He then back tracks with a "I don't think I want to sell em..."

Now, I am a bit annoyed by the renege. In my book if you make an offer and someone takes it, that's that. If you don't want to sell, don't give a guy a price. Also, the price was soooo low, if I could get one of the two, I could very quickly turn it and make a good buck. I write back that I'm just interested in the 2011, and if he could give me a price.

He writes back he could go $85 on it, and I, again, immediately write back saying "let's do it, and what's your paypal?"

Yet again, he reneges, and whines that he's going to California next month, and he;s going to a show, and he'll sell to me if he can't move them while he's there.

I know that this price is criminally low, so if he makes even a slight "bump" in the price, people will snap em up, so they wont be there when he gets back. I say I can tack on a bit more cash if he'll sell one before he goes.

He hems and haws, and goes $115. Once again, for a $250-300 card, it's a fantastic price, so I agree.

He finally gives his ppal info, and i send the cash. In the Memo section of paypal, I write: "For the purchase of 2011 Mike Trout Bowman Sterling Autograph Refractor /109" (which I always do in case there's a paypal claim issue).

Two weeks later, I get a package from him and it's the Bowman Platinum! Now, my immediate reaction is that I'm pissed/annoyed. I made a deal for a card and got the wrong one and I need the cash, so i was going to toss it on ebay, so now I have to wait for more mail nonsense.

I message him and tell him he sent the wrong one, so i'm going to send it back and can he send the other one. He writes back in shock, saying that the deal was for the Platinum. He never would sell the Sterling for so little, and it's one of his prized possessions.

I point out that I said the 2011 (my fault for not specifying again and again) in the message, AND that I wrote it specifically in the paypal memo.

He again get's upset claiming that I could still make money, and reiterated again that he would never part with suck a valuable card for so little. I find that very specious reasoning considered his orginal offer for BOTH was $170, so he clearly hadnt done his homework.

My theory was that he was in for the deal until he saw how much the sterling was worth, and decided to send the other. He said he would refund me if I sent the card back, but that seemed like cutting off my nose to spite my face. He can still make money on it, and i'm out time and money.

Net net, I'm selling it, but the guy was just really shady, and never admitted to doing anything wrong. I know I should have beem more specific and repeated what we were dealing for before sending money, but I thought I had been clear.

He also thinks I was shady for not telling him what the prices of the cards were, and that I was ripping him off. I think that is absurd. It's his responsibility to know, not for me to tell him.

Anyway, what do you guys think? Am I in the right here? Is he?
davidsemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:17 AM   #2 (permalink)

So your mad that you couldnt take advantage of a members lack of knowledge? If i were you i would have just been happy getting a $175-200 card for $115 your mad bc u couldnt take his $300 card for $115? I sold a 2010 Trout Platinum ref auto with a Goldschmidt for $50 in May... Imagine how i feel

Last edited by Srt42004n; 08-09-2012 at 09:57 AM.
Srt42004n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:22 AM   #3 (permalink)

This is going to get good...
Major_League is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:44 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to asujbl

Over/Under 5+ pages? I'm taking the over...
asujbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:52 AM   #5 (permalink)

In all reality it’s pretty lame on both sides

I disagree that when someone makes an offer, and you accept, that it’s a “done deal” – I agree it’s lame for him to change his mind (make that clear - it's lame for him to back out - but it's still not a 100% done deal) – but until he sends you that paypal address he can decide he made a mistake. Happens all the time. Again it’s lame on his part – but it’s not a deal until he sends you his paypal and you send him the funds.

You pulled a pretty d*ck move by not informing him of what he was doing. Yes I understand he should "know" as you say - it's not your job to tell him - but come on man - It’s clear he didn’t know. How about pulling a decent move and telling him? I once had a guy offer me an item at 50% of what they were getting on eBay. I told him that I’d be happy to pay that price but I also told him he could get more on eBay if he wanted to take the time to research a bit more. He was quite thankful and we agreed on about 25% off eBay – which was fair to both. Your move is why people have all these call out threads – just be honest and this whole thread probably wouldn’t have even happened.

So I take neither of your sides. He shouldn’t agree to prices, not know the prices, and then change his mind – simply because it’s annoying. You shouldn’t take advantage because it’s just a shady move.

Everything after that about sending you a different card I don’t even care about – as this whole thing was dumb in the first place.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:02 AM   #6 (permalink)

based on your story, I'd say he was in the wrong. Not selling after the original price was kinda dirty, not the worst thing but its not something I'd do or be happy with if it was done to me. Then to send the wrong card, providing it was clearly agreed upon, is just completely wrong, no question about it.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by asujbl View Post
In all reality it’s pretty lame on both sides

I disagree that when someone makes an offer, and you accept, that it’s a “done deal” – I agree it’s lame for him to change his mind (make that clear - it's lame for him to back out - but it's still not a 100% done deal) – but until he sends you that paypal address he can decide he made a mistake. Happens all the time. Again it’s lame on his part – but it’s not a deal until he sends you his paypal and you send him the funds.

You pulled a pretty d*ck move by not informing him of what he was doing. Yes I understand he should "know" as you say - it's not your job to tell him - but come on man - It’s clear he didn’t know. How about pulling a decent move and telling him? I once had a guy offer me an item at 50% of what they were getting on eBay. I told him that I’d be happy to pay that price but I also told him he could get more on eBay if he wanted to take the time to research a bit more. He was quite thankful and we agreed on about 25% off eBay – which was fair to both. Your move is why people have all these call out threads – just be honest and this whole thread probably wouldn’t have even happened.

So I take neither of your sides. He shouldn’t agree to prices, not know the prices, and then change his mind – simply because it’s annoying. You shouldn’t take advantage because it’s just a shady move.

Everything after that about sending you a different card I don’t even care about – as this whole thing was dumb in the first place.
Why is this guy even on a trading card site to begin with if he doesn't know his prices. This is not a site everyone knows about, you have to look for it and then register and start posting. You kind of have to be into cards to even really wanna be on this site.

If you are going to sell YOUR cards then YOU should know what they go for. It is not my job to babysit you and ask if you are up to date on current pricing. Hell he gave the guy 2 opprotunities to check on price and then even offered to pay more than the original price (that should have been a clue right there).

And then you say you don't care about sending the wrong card?? So they guy doesn't know prices, then when he finally learns of the price he screws over the buyer by sending the wrong card.
JOHNJOHNNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNJOHNNY View Post
Why is this guy even on a trading card site to begin with if he doesn't know his prices. This is not a site everyone knows about, you have to look for it and then register and start posting. You kind of have to be into cards to even really wanna be on this site.

If you are going to sell YOUR cards then YOU should know what they go for. It is not my job to babysit you and ask if you are up to date on current pricing. Hell he gave the guy 2 opprotunities to check on price and then even offered to pay more than the original price (that should have been a clue right there).

And then you say you don't care about sending the wrong card?? So they guy doesn't know prices, then when he finally learns of the price he screws over the buyer by sending the wrong card.
Yeah - and that's all stating the obvious.

That's not my point. The point is they are just cards. How about just letting him know he's underselling himself by 50% - if he's fine with it then cool - it's called just being decent enough to point it out.

You don't have to do it. I would.

End of story for me.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:15 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asujbl View Post
How about just letting him know he's underselling himself by 50% - if he's fine with it then cool - it's called just being decent enough to point it out.
Exactly what I was thinking.

It's called being fair. You are not in this to be fair and have fun, you are wanting some $$$ so you can understand why some of us wouldn't be a fan of you either pissing about missed profit.
ManInTheMirror is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

Wow, can't believe everyone is calling the OP out. I saw a similar situation happen a month or so ago on here with a much higher-end card and a much larger price discrepancy. I made a comment, and the thread quickly disappeared after the uninformed seller lost out on hundreds.

In this situation, you were both in the wrong IMO. Maybe he figured out what the realistic prices were after agreeing to it...
illadelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:24 PM   #11 (permalink)

Regardless of the taking advantage or what, you specifically stated 2011 and he sent you the wrong, less valuable card. As a seller you should know what card you are selling and shipping and if you have one that's 2010 and one that's 2011, someone buys the 2011 one, then you ship them the damn 2011 one.
I think it deserves appropriate feedback - giving you a refund for returning the card was not a sufficient solution IMO - he needed to send you the correct card that you asked for and paid for. If he didn't have it any more, and wasn't willing to make it up to you somehow (despite you getting a good deal anyway), then feedback is worthy.
hairyangryfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:43 AM   #12 (permalink)

Thanks for all the feedback. I appreciate seeing what everyones views are, even if they aren't the same as mine. The end result was he refused to send the 2011, so I am selling the 2010, and left a negative feedback.

Cheers guys
davidsemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:06 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsemo View Post
Thanks for all the feedback. I appreciate seeing what everyones views are, even if they aren't the same as mine. The end result was he refused to send the 2011, so I am selling the 2010, and left a negative feedback.

Cheers guys
I can't stop laughing.

Oh 2012 BO members, you so crazy!

BTW, who was this poor goober?

Currently hoarding mountains of cards that I should be trading.
lemur01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:17 AM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

Who was this guy?
theautographkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:19 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theautographkid View Post
Who was this guy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemur01 View Post
I can't stop laughing.

Oh 2012 BO members, you so crazy!

BTW, who was this poor goober?
You can see who he left feedback for if you click on his iTrader
hawksfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:20 AM   #16 (permalink)

Alice Cooper-Schools out - YouTube