Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > THE MARKETPLACE > Member Sales/Trade Feedback

Member Sales/Trade Feedback Share feedback on Buyers, Sellers, and Traders

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2012, 12:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default eBay fraud alert...triplecrown406

Since I posted a thread about this in the wrong place I wanted to post a new one to make sure the most eyes have seen it and can take action to block this person...

I sold this buyer the PSA E98 Reprint set given out at the national for $50. As is common with national giveaways.. the value went down... and a week after their purchase (still no payment) the set was only selling for $30-40..

All of a sudden I get a message from this buyer saying they could not pay for this item because "my fridge just blew up and I need to buy a new one"....(pauses for laughter lol)... my reply to the buyer was I would only cancel the transaction if they admit that was a pretty lame excuse.. call this buyers remorse.. and be honest with me. The buyer replied saying they would not make such a thing up.. etc etc (I'm sure most people who sell on eBay have dealt with something like this).

The next day however... they paid for the item. Surprised the BLEEP out of me.. but I packaged the set, shipped it out.. thought all was well, and honestly believed the buyer felt guilty and paid... nope lol

A few days ago I get a new message from the buyer "I have deemed this set unsatisfactory and will be returning it for my purchase price plus shipping..." To this I replied "Thanks for confirming my suspicions about you, and wasting both of our times..."

Today.. I have a case opened against me saying the item was never even received LOL... fortunately I ship with tracking and have already escalated the case to eBay to have the case closed ASAP...

Long story short.. if you want to avoid a major hassle with a dishonest customer... block triplecrown406

UPDATE***

I just got off the phone with eBay.. this person's account should be suspended within the next 24 hours because of feedback manipulation and a pattern of fraud.

Apparently what he does is buys an item... waits a couple of weeks.. buys it again cheaper.. then comes up with some fake story to return the more expensive purchase. eBay is using this thread and other information on their investigation.. so if anyone else has information.. please post it here.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

Sounds like that Curtis Christlieb guy who buys the Topps Black cards...
Old 09-24-2012, 11:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

UPDATE****

1) This nut case changed their Ebay User name to mscsportscardscollectables (I wonder why they changed? hmm)

2) After 6 weeks of losing an eBay case, losing a paypal case, and leaving me a negative feedback for not letting them rip me off.. THEY FILED A CHARGEBACK WITH THEIR CREDIT CARD...

this one's special folks
Old 09-25-2012, 12:55 AM   #4 (permalink)

That sucks - hate how buyers can manipulate the system like that. How did you find out about the username change?
uberfatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:59 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thank's for the heads up.
burgbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

You know what irks me about your listings?

Quote:
Please understand that the physical cost of shipping is not the sole factor in the cost of shipping and handling. Sellers on eBay face many fee's (including shipping cost fee's), and have to buy sometimes hundreds of dollars in supplies each month
Why do you need to put that in there? I dont care that it takes time for you to ship and package. Isnt that the cost of doing business? If you hate shipping and packaging then dont sell. You dont hear buyers state that they had to pay for internet and take time away from family to bid on your item then press on to wanting some sort of compensation for it do you? I have no issues with charge $4 for shipping. I think its cheap. But that note under S&H irks me enough not to bid. Self entitlement never goes over well.

As for the item, as a seller its much easier to file a NPB and not communicate once the buyer has stated they dont want to pay. You get your fees back and go on about your business. If you decide to challenge the buyer, they will use loopholes to repay the favour, which just causes more headaches. If you had just left it alone and filed a NPB on this guy, you could have resold it and not had any of these headaches.
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:53 AM   #7 (permalink)

Would be nice if paypal fought the chargeback...instead they just roll over and play dumb... one reason I hate paypal... I sold a 1916 D mercury dime Mint condition for $3250.00 a few years back. well fast forward I stopped using my paypal and forgot my login while i was away at basic training in '07. I contact Paypal to find out why they keep freezing my new account and they said there was a $3250 neg balance from a charge back back in 2007...the buyer did not even need to send the Dime back so he got me for $3250, and a 1916 D Mercury Dime...
Srt42004n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:35 AM   #8 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imac7065 View Post
UPDATE****

1) This nut case changed their Ebay User name to mscsportscardscollectables (I wonder why they changed? hmm)

2) After 6 weeks of losing an eBay case, losing a paypal case, and leaving me a negative feedback for not letting them rip me off.. THEY FILED A CHARGEBACK WITH THEIR CREDIT CARD...

this one's special folks
Well it sounds like eBay/PayPal will help fight this chargeback for you. especially since they were going to help you from the start.

Did eBay also remove the negative feedback for you?
dthimesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:01 AM   #9 (permalink)

If the seller was protected by PayPal's "Seller Protection", then a chargeback is harmless to that seller. PayPal will award the seller the full amount of the chargeback.

Seller Protection is gained by:

1) shipping with online tracking showing "delivered" status within 7 days of cleared payment
2) if $250+, signature confirmation is used

I've had a few chargebacks against me. Money is taken out of my account. But due to seller protection, money is put back into my account.

Sometimes you might have to call PayPal to push them to refund your loss on the chargeback. They seem to sit on your money if you don't bug them. But they are obliged to return your money under Seller Protection agreement, as long as the above conditions are met.
alexlazarevich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:23 AM   #10 (permalink)

blocked, thanks.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:24 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
You know what irks me about your listings?

Why do you need to put that in there? I dont care that it takes time for you to ship and package. Isnt that the cost of doing business? If you hate shipping and packaging then dont sell. You dont hear buyers state that they had to pay for internet and take time away from family to bid on your item then press on to wanting some sort of compensation for it do you? I have no issues with charge $4 for shipping. I think its cheap. But that note under S&H irks me enough not to bid. Self entitlement never goes over well.

As for the item, as a seller its much easier to file a NPB and not communicate once the buyer has stated they dont want to pay. You get your fees back and go on about your business. If you decide to challenge the buyer, they will use loopholes to repay the favour, which just causes more headaches. If you had just left it alone and filed a NPB on this guy, you could have resold it and not had any of these headaches.

1) I put that in there because I kept getting asked why a package had $1.98 postage when I charged $2.50... I factor fee's and supplies into my shipping, not time. I have actually had many people write me and thank me for putting that in my listings. I'm not sure where you got the $4 number.. I do not charge $4 unless you are in canada (which I would assume you are?)

2) This person was a fraud... they had a pattern of buying items, buying them again from different sellers a few weeks later (cheaper) then writing the first seller a message like "my dog died" or "my house caught on fire"... or in my case "my fridge blew up"... I knew this because I checked their feedback and saw the pattern (after the fact)... I told the customer "if you be honest with me I will file to cancel right now, but I won't do it with your excuse..." (paraphrased).. the next day he paid for the item and started this mary go round. How on earth can you defend that?

Last edited by Imac7065; 09-25-2012 at 11:32 AM.
Imac7065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:26 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthimesch View Post
Well it sounds like eBay/PayPal will help fight this chargeback for you. especially since they were going to help you from the start.

Did eBay also remove the negative feedback for you?
I called them and they said they would.. the "buyer" then changed their user name (which is also why their account still exists).. I called again and informed them of this.. told again it would be removed.. no action. That's eBay for you.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:28 AM   #13 (permalink)

I haven't had a charge back in quite a long time.. I hope you are right. Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexlazarevich View Post
If the seller was protected by PayPal's "Seller Protection", then a chargeback is harmless to that seller. PayPal will award the seller the full amount of the chargeback.

1) shipping with online tracking showing "delivered" status within 7 days of cleared payment

I've had a few chargebacks against me. Money is taken out of my account. But due to seller protection, money is put back into my account.

Sometimes you might have to call PayPal to push them to refund your loss on the chargeback. They seem to sit on your money if you don't bug them. But they are obliged to return your money under Seller Protection agreement, as long as the above conditions are met.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:30 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srt42004n View Post
Would be nice if paypal fought the chargeback...instead they just roll over and play dumb... one reason I hate paypal... I sold a 1916 D mercury dime Mint condition for $3250.00 a few years back. well fast forward I stopped using my paypal and forgot my login while i was away at basic training in '07. I contact Paypal to find out why they keep freezing my new account and they said there was a $3250 neg balance from a charge back back in 2007...the buyer did not even need to send the Dime back so he got me for $3250, and a 1916 D Mercury Dime...
Similar situation happened to me... I stupidly did not send registered on a $1500 international item. I had customs proof the item was delivered, but paypal told me it was not sufficient information. My account was frozen for over a year due to this.. major hit in my business life back then.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:46 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
1) I put that in there because I kept getting asked why a package had $1.98 postage when I charged $2.50... I factor fee's and supplies into my shipping, not time. I have actually had many people write me and thank me for putting that in my listings. I'm not sure where you got the $4 number.. I do not charge $4 unless you are in canada (which I would assume you are?)

2) This person was a fraud... they had a pattern of buying items, buying them again from different sellers a few weeks later (cheaper) then writing the first seller a message like "my dog died" or "my house caught on fire"... or in my case "my fridge blew up"... I knew this because I checked their feedback and saw the pattern (after the fact)... I told the customer "if you be honest with me I will file to cancel right now, but I won't do it with your excuse..." (paraphrased).. the next day he paid for the item and started this mary go round. How on earth can you defend that?
You may want to re-word the template language in your listings due to eBay policy, which explicitly states that factoring fees into your shipping cost is not allowed. Just change the language to say something about factoring in the cost of packaging and that should cover you just fine.
uberfatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:50 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberfatty View Post
You may want to re-word the template language in your listings due to eBay policy, which explicitly states that factoring fees into your shipping cost is not allowed. Just change the language to say something about factoring in the cost of packaging and that should cover you just fine.
I don't state what it's for (probably why that guy assumed "time")... supplies are a large cost as well. Wasn't aware of that rule either.. thanks for the heads up.

Gotta love eBay.. they charge your fee's on shipping cost, but tell you that you can't factor that into the cost haha
Old 09-25-2012, 02:47 PM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
I don't state what it's for (probably why that guy assumed "time")... supplies are a large cost as well. Wasn't aware of that rule either.. thanks for the heads up.

Gotta love eBay.. they charge your fee's on shipping cost, but tell you that you can't factor that into the cost haha
They charge you fees on shipping because sellers were abusing it and grossly over charging for shipping.

I wish I could factor in a discount when I buy from sellers like you because I pay $50/month for internet access. That internet access gives me the oppurunity to bid on your items. Should you give me a discount because I had to pay for a service to bid on your item? Its a cost on my side that I pay for in order to bid on your auctions. Just like expenses needed to sell for a seller. I factor my bidding in according to my budget. You should do the same. Meaning start your auctions higher if you want to cover payment for your work!! If you feel that your auction work is worth $10, then start your auctions at $10. That way you get paid and the rest is up for auction!
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:38 PM   #18 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexlazarevich View Post

This is how eBay handled my issue with the same buyer. He was issued a refund but I was protected under the Seller Protection agreement sincere could not prove he sent the card back. You would think that eBay would do something about this user since he is costing them a nice chunk of change.
khalldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:58 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
They charge you fees on shipping because sellers were abusing it and grossly over charging for shipping.

I wish I could factor in a discount when I buy from sellers like you because I pay $50/month for internet access. That internet access gives me the oppurunity to bid on your items. Should you give me a discount because I had to pay for a service to bid on your item? Its a cost on my side that I pay for in order to bid on your auctions. Just like expenses needed to sell for a seller. I factor my bidding in according to my budget. You should do the same. Meaning start your auctions higher if you want to cover payment for your work!! If you feel that your auction work is worth $10, then start your auctions at $10. That way you get paid and the rest is up for auction!
your logic is ridiculous... are you trying to say you pay $50 just for the right to bid on eBay? Try selling some stuff on there and learn something man.