Blowout Cards Forums
Retail Rummage

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > THE MARKETPLACE > Member Sales/Trade Feedback

Member Sales/Trade Feedback Share feedback on Buyers, Sellers, and Traders

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2012, 01:08 PM   #226 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculusdork View Post
Again ... your version of the truth is subjective.
or is it the objective?
Jrb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:15 PM   #227 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrb1 View Post
or is it the objective?
The mere fact that eBay allows sellers to charge a "reasonable handling fee" (the amount of which is up for interpretation) makes the whole thing subjective. In standard business practices, this fee is either mixed into the total cost or hidden from the buyer. In eBay's case, the market has to decide what is reasonable. I might say $0.40 per card. You might say it is either zero, or possibly even negative. According to eBay's policy, neither of us are correct or incorrect.

Quite subjective.
calculusdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:20 PM   #228 (permalink)

So how many times is this Jrb herb going to be caught lying, while speaking his "truth""?
Old 10-31-2012, 01:40 PM   #229 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
The mere fact that eBay allows sellers to charge a "reasonable handling fee" (the amount of which is up for interpretation) makes the whole thing subjective. In standard business practices, this fee is either mixed into the total cost or hidden from the buyer. In eBay's case, the market has to decide what is reasonable. I might say $0.40 per card. You might say it is either zero, or possibly even negative. According to eBay's policy, neither of us are correct or incorrect.

Quite subjective.
I say you save yourself the headache and throw it into the starting price of an auction. If retailers do it, why cant sellers on ebay? I know why, because they feel it will affect bidders and bidding. Either way as a seller its going to affect you. Hiding it is not the answer. No one stating you cant make a profit. Just make a profit from what your selling and not subsidising it through the means of delivering the product.

Want to me $50 on item x? No problems here. Want to make $50 on product x and $5 off shipping because "you can", then you have issues.
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:25 PM   #230 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:

Quite subjective.
Ok if you wanna go that route that is fine. Isn't it up to the buyer to decide what's reasonable and what's not? Isn't that what it is there for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonValdez View Post
So how many times is this Jrb herb going to be caught lying, while speaking his "truth""?
You are clearly uneducated, this topic is for adults, shouldn't you be out trick or treating?

Last edited by Jrb1; 10-31-2012 at 03:25 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-31-2012, 03:40 PM   #231 (permalink)

Quote:
Ok if you wanna go that route that is fine. Isn't it up to the buyer to decide what's reasonable and what's not? Isn't that what it is there for?
Under the current setup ... yes, it is up to the buyer. As a seller, I prefer to do business with buyers that value my service at something greater than zero. The large majority of buyers do. A small few don't.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:46 PM   #232 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Under the current setup ... yes, it is up to the buyer. As a seller, I prefer to do business with buyers that value my service at something greater than zero. The large majority of buyers do. A small few don't.
I would value your service and you would have 5 stars in 3/4 categories. I'm not gonna ding where it isn't deserved.

Would you rather me leave you 5 stars and note your feedback.

"Great Seller Great Product but Overcharged on Shipping"
Old 10-31-2012, 03:50 PM   #233 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
I say you save yourself the headache and throw it into the starting price of an auction. If retailers do it, why cant sellers on ebay? I know why, because they feel it will affect bidders and bidding. Either way as a seller its going to affect you. Hiding it is not the answer. No one stating you cant make a profit. Just make a profit from what your selling and not subsidising it through the means of delivering the product.

Want to me $50 on item x? No problems here. Want to make $50 on product x and $5 off shipping because "you can", then you have issues.
Amazon has shipping and handling charges, in fact almost all online retailers do, unless you buy a certain amount, because they do not want to lose $ on low cost items.

$7.99 Items

$3.99 Estimated Shipping & Handling

$11.98 Total Before Tax

$0.00 Estimated Tax To Be Collected

$11.98 Estimated Order Total
Army19K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:58 PM   #234 (permalink)

Quote:
You are clearly uneducated, this topic is for adults, shouldn't you be out trick or treating?
Quite a mature and educated response. You have me bested...I am uneducated and shortly will be putting on my "Dora the Explorer" costume.

Don't let that get in the way of a good lie (or 2 or 3)....especially when you're just doing it so brazenly to our faces
Old 10-31-2012, 04:19 PM   #235 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army19K View Post
Amazon has shipping and handling charges, in fact almost all online retailers do, unless you buy a certain amount, because they do not want to lose $ on low cost items.

$7.99 Items

$3.99 Estimated Shipping & Handling

$11.98 Total Before Tax

$0.00 Estimated Tax To Be Collected

$11.98 Estimated Order Total
No issue with shipping prices. At $3.99 is their intention on profitting from the product sold or is their purpose to profit from shipping and handling?

I ordered many Toppis Mini baseball boxes from topps.com.

Shipping for 1 box = 9.00
Shipping for 2 boxes = $9.00
Shipping for 3 boxes = 9.00
Shipping for 4 boxes = $9.00
Shipping for 5 boxes = Free shipping Qualifier

Are they trying to make money on their shipping? Is the addition items purchased costing me more to ship?
Old 10-31-2012, 04:23 PM   #236 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Quite a mature and educated response. You have me bested...I am uneducated and shortly will be putting on my "Dora the Explorer" costume.

Don't let that get in the way of a good lie (or 2 or 3)....especially when you're just doing it so brazenly to our faces
Maybe if you read the whole thread you would know that I am telling the truth. Hence why I called you uneducated, you probably read 3 posts and made your judgement.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:23 PM   #237 (permalink)

Quote:
No issue with shipping prices. At $3.99 is their intention on profitting from the product sold or is their purpose to profit from shipping and handling?

I ordered many Toppis Mini baseball boxes from topps.com.

Shipping for 1 box = 9.00
Shipping for 2 boxes = $9.00
Shipping for 3 boxes = 9.00
Shipping for 4 boxes = $9.00
Shipping for 5 boxes = Free shipping Qualifier

Are they trying to make money on their shipping? Is the addition items purchased costing me more to ship?
It does not cost them 3.99 to ship a book, so yes they are profiting from it. You said no retailer charged shipping and handling on top of the price, I found one of many examples.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:31 PM   #238 (permalink)

Quote:
I would value your service and you would have 5 stars in 3/4 categories. I'm not gonna ding where it isn't deserved.

Would you rather me leave you 5 stars and note your feedback.

"Great Seller Great Product but Overcharged on Shipping"
Actually, yeah I think I would.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:35 PM   #239 (permalink)

Quote:
Actually, yeah I think I would.
I think almost every seller would
Old 10-31-2012, 04:38 PM   #240 (permalink)

Quote:
Maybe if you read the whole thread you would know that I am telling the truth. Hence why I called you uneducated, you probably read 3 posts and made your judgement.
How the hell are you to know how much of the thread I read? Do you just go out making random assumptions? That seems very uneducated if you ask me.

I actually read the entire thread, hence why I commented...and saw you get nailed multiple times and then backtracking/covering your ass in the face of proof.

Keep up the good work, though
Old 10-31-2012, 05:11 PM   #241 (permalink)

Stop your madness!!!! If you can make the desired profit at the stated total delivered cost then buy the cards. If not, then do not buy the cards.

Either way quit whining and playing god with DSR's.

Quote:
I was just told $2.50 for shipping plus $1 per item, with no cap. It's 6 auction I need for a customer. You guys are telling me he would get 5 stars? He in no way deserves even 2 stars to pocket $5+ on me. I can't wait to hear a justification of this.
Concentrating on my personal collection. Please drop me a PM if you have any of the following for sale: Topps Football 1956-1959; 1961-1968; Philadelphia Football 1964-1967, Autographs of Baseball/Football Vintage Stars and Hall of Famers (especially on card autos), 1990's Topps Chrome Refractor Inserts of all sports.
37Jetson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:25 PM   #242 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37Jetson View Post
Stop your madness!!!! If you can make the desired profit at the stated total delivered cost then buy the cards. If not, then do not buy the cards.

Truth...end thread. Geez. I'm not continuing on with all these "what if" scenarios. I know Einstein's definition of insanity...and I'm not quite ready to go down that road yet.

Have fun!
Old 10-31-2012, 05:31 PM   #243 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
How the hell are you to know how much of the thread I read? Do you just go out making random assumptions? That seems very uneducated if you ask me.

I actually read the entire thread, hence why I commented...and saw you get nailed multiple times and then backtracking/covering your ass in the face of proof.

Keep up the good work, though
I still haven't seen anything proved yet.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:34 PM   #244 (permalink)

Quote:
I was just told $2.50 for shipping plus $1 per item, with no cap. It's 6 auction I need for a customer. You guys are telling me he would get 5 stars? He in no way deserves even 2 stars to pocket $5+ on me. I can't wait to hear a justification of this.
are we all still continuing this thread today?

anyhow, while I agree that is excessive I have 2 thoughts...
1st...IF not happy then don't buy or bid on these
2nd...in this thread many have suggested offering lower or free shipping and just raise min bids or buy it now pricing, so what then is the difference? you can't rate somehow on their pricing, only shipping, so again, must look at total price, if he is the cheapest seller price wise but shipping a bit more compare total costs...if he is significantly cheaper than other sellers, then I have ZERO problems with his shipping charges as he is still cheaper and may have adjusted prices as a result
shoot, even ebay says to raise pricing to account for shipping, which seems so crazy when they say you can't have certain 'costs' factored into 'shipping charges' yet they encourage us to roll them into the item
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZbre...QQfsooZ1QQrdZ0
brentandbecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:36 PM   #245 (permalink)

Quote:
There is % that belongs to the seller for being at fault as well. Its like driving without a seat belt. It may not get you killed but you put it on to increase your percentage of not getting killed if in an accident. Likewise sellers need to do their job as well. They need to get in line and meet consumer demands when it comes to such issues.

Why do I get this feeling that many of you think that sellers make the market and not the buyers?
that was my point earlier is that buyers create market, not sellers so why should shipping be so minimal that I take another hit or loss there
Old 10-31-2012, 05:38 PM   #246 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMabry47 View Post
LOL. I've been in the industry for around 20 years. I did shows and managed inventory for one of the largest dealers in the Midwest for years.

I know players who have had family members sign their "certified autos", so that's why I keep such a keen interest on handwriting patterns and do my homework, even when buying from the big companies.

I know the origins of the elusive "AJAX DOG FOOD" cards you see that were produced in the 1980's.

I've been privy to discussions, phone calls, and emails where ebay will negotiate ratings, based on promised volume of listed items

One of my all time favs, I was with a coworker who once worked for Mr. Mint. He knew a few of the PSA guys well and always made sure to have an "in". He had some vintage sports cards graded that he was going to list on ebay. They came back as "6"s. He had dinner with a PSA rep that night, after the show we were at. The PSA rep suggested that he "resubmit" the cards the next day. Lo and behold, the 2nd time, they came back as "9"s

I pointed out to PSA at a show that one of the "high profile dealers" had a 1948 Bowman Musial, graded a "9", that had the word "extra" scrawled in blue ink pen on the lower right rear. After that discussion, the dealer refused to take the card out of the display case again and stated it was only for "display" and part of his PC. Interesting, since he quoted me a price only hours before.

I've worked with athletes at signings that have told me things that would make people's heads spin. I've worked with distributors whose "bargaining tactics" would make Charlie Sheen blush.

They make for great yarns when sharing a beverage or two with someone who knows about sports cards.
I won't even share all I have seen or experienced here lol
but I can tell you that I do not grade cards and don't go after graded cards for many reasons that I have been through, especially companies that try recruiting you to submit cards since you buy in large qty and making promises based on those submissions
Old 10-31-2012, 07:11 PM   #247 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army19K View Post
It does not cost them 3.99 to ship a book, so yes they are profiting from it. You said no retailer charged shipping and handling on top of the price, I found one of many examples.
I said no true retailer suggest making a profit off shipping. If they want to recoup costs of shipping thats fine. But if you want to give Amazon a call and ask if set their shipping costs as a revenue generation, Im more than confident they will tell you they dont set prices on shipping on the sole purpose of profitting from it.

BTW, if they charge $3.99 for shipping a book, how much does is cost them?

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/help/custome...&nodeId=915472

They charge $2.99 to ship a book from amazon.ca. At $3, Im pretty sure the cost of Canada post postage, plus shipping supplies and their time, they are not making any profit. Infact Im willing to bet they take a loss by the time you add up overhead cost to get that book to me.

Last edited by Orangejello727; 10-31-2012 at 07:25 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:15 PM   #248 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37Jetson View Post

On the other side of this, if a seller is determined to profit off shipping and buyers dont like it, then they should do the same and live with the DSR sting they get. If not, then stop selling.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:18 PM   #249 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
On the other side of this, if a seller is determined to profit off shipping and buyers dont like it, then they should do the same and live with the DSR sting they get. If not, then stop selling.
He is one of the ones abusing the shipping system, there is no winning with him. What he says goes. I just can't wait til this guy "needs" something from me so I can just turn my head. Another jerk to the ignore list.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:22 PM   #250 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentandbecca View Post
that was my point earlier is that buyers create market, not sellers so why should shipping be so minimal that I take another hit or loss there
I check out your auctions all the time especially around a new product release.

On a single card, you charge $4.49 shipping to Canada. I find nothing wrong with that. Infact I dont think your sole purpose of setting your shipping fees are to profit from them. You arent the seller im voicing my opinion against.

My question to you is, 1. Why do you charge that amount for shipping to Canada? Why not more? Im asking this question to understand the logic behind charging excessively to profit from shipping.