Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > THE MARKETPLACE > Member Sales/Trade Feedback

Member Sales/Trade Feedback Share feedback on Buyers, Sellers, and Traders

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2012, 10:43 AM   #201 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
There is % that belongs to the seller for being at fault as well. Its like driving without a seat belt. It may not get you killed but you put it on to increase your percentage of not getting killed if in an accident. Likewise sellers need to do their job as well. They need to get in line and meet consumer demands when it comes to such issues.

Why do I get this feeling that many of you think that sellers make the market and not the buyers?
Not at all. However, I get the feeling that many think the buyer is beyond reproach because they are "always right".

I've stated my piece on this...there have been valid arguments on both sides, and some completely ridiculous arguments from others.

Ebay is the most visible place for me to sell cards, period. I don't like a lot of their practices, and unlike others, I do regularly send them feedback, and have since I joined in 1998. I don't appreciate a lot of the practices of my local utility company, however, they are the only game in town. I do have an option available, but the option of being without power doesn't seem appealing to me.

I know EXACTLY what I'm getting into when I sell on ebay. However, that doesn't mean I can't vent and complain, both on a forum and to ebay, when I feel that things aren't being justly handled. My DSR's are fine. I have 5's on all but shipping and handling, which is a 4.9 or a 4.8.

Until there is an equal rating system to hold buyers accountable for their behavior (feedback for both parties used to regulate this..however, the rating system came in for more "detail" and then they negated the ability of sellers to leave feedback for flaky buyers), these threads will continue and you'll hear story after story.

I've had just about every "horror story" you can imagine in nearly 15 years of selling on ebay. Every day, there is a new scam, trick, trend. It's like anything else...you roll with the punches, provide feedback, and if it becomes too bad, you find alternatives or do without.

FYI- as BrentandBecca mentioned, if you don't think that "concessions" are made for the large, bulk sellers in order to "adjust" their ratings, you're sadly mistaken. Ebay, like so many other entities (PSA, James Spence, BGS, etc) is only as honest as the bottom dollar they are making.

Last edited by JohnMabry47; 10-31-2012 at 10:46 AM.
JohnMabry47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:53 AM   #202 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMabry47 View Post
I've had just about every "horror story" you can imagine in nearly 15 years of selling on ebay.
I might enjoy hearing one or ten of those
calculusdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:03 AM   #203 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculusdork View Post
I might enjoy hearing one or ten of those
LOL. I've been in the industry for around 20 years. I did shows and managed inventory for one of the largest dealers in the Midwest for years.

I know players who have had family members sign their "certified autos", so that's why I keep such a keen interest on handwriting patterns and do my homework, even when buying from the big companies.

I know the origins of the elusive "AJAX DOG FOOD" cards you see that were produced in the 1980's.

I've been privy to discussions, phone calls, and emails where ebay will negotiate ratings, based on promised volume of listed items

One of my all time favs, I was with a coworker who once worked for Mr. Mint. He knew a few of the PSA guys well and always made sure to have an "in". He had some vintage sports cards graded that he was going to list on ebay. They came back as "6"s. He had dinner with a PSA rep that night, after the show we were at. The PSA rep suggested that he "resubmit" the cards the next day. Lo and behold, the 2nd time, they came back as "9"s

I pointed out to PSA at a show that one of the "high profile dealers" had a 1948 Bowman Musial, graded a "9", that had the word "extra" scrawled in blue ink pen on the lower right rear. After that discussion, the dealer refused to take the card out of the display case again and stated it was only for "display" and part of his PC. Interesting, since he quoted me a price only hours before.

I've worked with athletes at signings that have told me things that would make people's heads spin. I've worked with distributors whose "bargaining tactics" would make Charlie Sheen blush.

They make for great yarns when sharing a beverage or two with someone who knows about sports cards.

Last edited by JohnMabry47; 10-31-2012 at 11:06 AM.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:07 AM   #204 (permalink)
Banned

I have no issues of the venting at all. There are frustrations on buyers side as well as the sellers side. There are examples of extremes on both sides which lead to frustration and overall hurt those (buyers and sellers) inbetween them that are truly trying their best and putting a fair and balance step forward.

I dont think a buyer is always right just as much as I think a Seller is not always wrong. In my specfic case, the seller does have more control to set the filter and standard which can control the type of buyers he gets. As a buyer I have absolutely no control other than not being able to buy. Ultimately that the biggest factor but sadly the only choice.

Im advocating that buyers and sellers be proactive on using tools to filter what they do not like in order to achieve ultimate goal. It will definately impact your sales but there has to be sacrifices made.
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:17 AM   #205 (permalink)

Quote:
They make for great yarns when sharing a beverage or two with someone who knows about sports cards.
I'm in the car, on my way to Springfield right now!!! lol

One thing is for certain in this world ... money ultimately turns people evil. Money and truth often have a lot of difficulty co-existing. So while I'm sure some of the things you've seen and heard truly would make Charlie Sheen blush, they wouldn't surprise me in the least. Some folks will do absolutely anything to make a buck.

Now I'm going to go watch Glengarry Glen Ross, and then take a bath.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:45 AM   #206 (permalink)
Banned

I was just told $2.50 for shipping plus $1 per item, with no cap. It's 6 auction I need for a customer. You guys are telling me he would get 5 stars? He in no way deserves even 2 stars to pocket $5+ on me. I can't wait to hear a justification of this.
Jrb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:55 AM   #207 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrb1 View Post
I was just told $2.50 for shipping plus $1 per item, with no cap. It's 6 auction I need for a customer. You guys are telling me he would get 5 stars? He in no way deserves even 2 stars to pocket $5+ on me. I can't wait to hear a justification of this.
No justification...that is excessive. Does that help?

Out of curiosity, did you ask what his combined shipping rates were before bidding? I find that helps. Otherwise, you're negotiating after you've agreed to the sale.

Last edited by JohnMabry47; 10-31-2012 at 11:59 AM.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:57 AM   #208 (permalink)

Quote:
How much would it cost you to purchase the items from different sellers?

I guess he could charge you $2.50 for each item and them ship them all separately ... then you could give him 4 stars for each one. Would it be his fault if he doesn't combine shipping? Seems like it wouldn't, much in the same way it wouldn't be his fault if he over-pays to use the USPS to ship instead of PayPal.

Have you tried calmly negotiating with him?
Old 10-31-2012, 12:02 PM   #209 (permalink)

To add a little more ... I personally feel that $1 is too high for combined shipping. But is there not any value to you in the fact that you are getting the items more cheaply than you could if you purchased them from multiple sellers?
Old 10-31-2012, 12:06 PM   #210 (permalink)

Quote:
I can't wait for your EBAY ID to be posted.
Major_League is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:13 PM   #211 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
No justification...that is excessive. Does that help?

Out of curiosity, did you ask what his combined shipping rates were before bidding? I find that helps. Otherwise, you're negotiating after you've agreed to the sale.
I haven't bid. After asking him how he justify his shipping charges he replied "my customers have no problem" After reading that I had no intention of bidding. I guess he is happy with not getting a 20% discount.

Quote:
To add a little more ... I personally feel that $1 is too high for combined shipping. But is there not any value to you in the fact that you are getting the items more cheaply than you could if you purchased them from multiple sellers?
That is true, I am selling them for enough to justify the charge. However I will not feed into a greedy seller. He deserves a 1 from anyone who he does this too. Sellers like him ruin ebay for sellers like me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major_League View Post
Don't worry, I don't bid on Canadian auctions, too much of a hassle. Don't hate me because I speak the truth.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:15 PM   #212 (permalink)

Quote:
That is true, I am selling them for enough to justify the charge. However I will not feed into a greedy seller. He deserves a 1 from anyone who he does this too. Sellers like him ruin ebay for sellers like me.
On the contrary ... sellers like him are making things better for sellers like you in an open market. Your prices are more attractive to buyers.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:18 PM   #213 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major_League View Post
Well, for what it's worth....

Here's a Trent Richardson Topps Finest BGS 9.5 in his bucket (check the serial number)...

And here's the same one on eBay, ended.

Look Familiar?

eBay seller is from NY....BO member is from NY.

All of his shipping is $2.00. But he is a new member, with 6 feedback, so I don't know how this is true:

Quote:
I am a top rated silver powerseller with the discount, I charge $2 on my straight auctions with free combined shipping, and I still get 1s & 2s, but I don't cry about it. I offer free shipping on my fixed price auctions so I get the guaranteed 5 stars. My Shipping Charge DSR is 4.98.
Verufian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:28 PM   #214 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verufian View Post
Well, for what it's worth....

Here's a Trent Richardson Topps Finest BGS 9.5 in his bucket (check the serial number)...

And here's the same one on eBay, ended.

Look Familiar?

eBay seller is from NY....BO member is from NY.

All of his shipping is $2.00. But he is a new member, with 6 feedback, so I don't know how this is true:
I bought that card from Bob, a local dealer in the area.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:31 PM   #215 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
How about this situation..

I win 4 items all at $2 shipping each. Seller states no combined shipping discount. Can I or do I have the right to ask for all 4 items to be posted and shipped seperately because that is what Im paying for? Would you agree the seller must adhere to his own standards then? If that is the case, then I have no issues with a seller stating per piece shipping cost. So as long as im getting what I paid for vs paying for something Im not getting.
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:34 PM   #216 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
How about this situation..

I win 4 items all at $2 shipping each. Seller states no combined shipping discount. Can I or do I have the right to ask for all 4 items to be posted and shipped seperately because that is what Im paying for? Would you agree the seller must adhere to his own standards then? If that is the case, then I have no issues with a seller stating per piece shipping cost. So as long as im getting what I paid for vs paying for something Im not getting.
YES. You have every right to request that. If they all come in 1 envelope, and you paid for 4 shipping charges, contact eBay. That's as wrong as charging $36 and having it actually cost $3.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:37 PM   #217 (permalink)

How about this one:

2011-12 Upper Deck Mark Messier Canvas SSP

Same card for sale here:

marqueecardsli | eBay

Are you selling this for Bob too?

Last edited by gergs1134; 10-31-2012 at 12:40 PM.
gergs1134 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:41 PM   #218 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gergs1134 View Post
How about this one:

2011-12 Upper Deck Mark Messier Canvas SSP

Same card for sale here:

marqueecardsli | eBay

Are you selling this for Bob too?
He took them from me.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:41 PM   #219 (permalink)

Quote:
I bought that card from Bob, a local dealer in the area.
So now you lock your photobucket? I didn't say it was you, my point in the post was actually defending you, meaning the seller on eBay was charging $2.00 shipping. Then you go and lock your photobucket, giving everyone a new thing to throw in your face.

I've stayed out of this thread because I have $2.50 shipping, and combine auctions for free. The only time I've ever dinged someones DSR is when I've been charged for First class shipping ($2, $2.50, $3, etc) and it comes in a PWE.

I use their shipping charge to justify my final bidding price. If an item has $2, my max bid might be $18, for a total of $20.

But if they charge $3 for shipping, my max would be $17.

HOWEVER, if I'm paying $3.00 shipping, or $4.00 shipping, then I better be satisfied with how it was shipped. Don't charge me for 1st Class in a bubble, and send in a PWE with 2 stamps. It would be the same if you were ordering something from Bestbuy.com, and paid for priority, and it came UPS ground.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:42 PM   #220 (permalink)
Banned

You guys don't give up it's too funny, have fun wasting your time. The police have been stumped.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:45 PM   #221 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verufian View Post
So now you lock your photobucket? I didn't say it was you, my point in the post was actually defending you, meaning the seller on eBay was charging $2.00 shipping. Then you go and lock your photobucket, giving everyone a new thing to throw in your face.

I've stayed out of this thread because I have $2.50 shipping, and combine auctions for free. The only time I've ever dinged someones DSR is when I've been charged for First class shipping ($2, $2.50, $3, etc) and it comes in a PWE.

I use their shipping charge to justify my final bidding price. If an item has $2, my max bid might be $18, for a total of $20.

But if they charge $3 for shipping, my max would be $17.

HOWEVER, if I'm paying $3.00 shipping, or $4.00 shipping, then I better be satisfied with how it was shipped. Don't charge me for 1st Class in a bubble, and send in a PWE with 2 stamps. It would be the same if you were ordering something from Bestbuy.com, and paid for priority, and it came UPS ground.
Yes I locked my photobucket, I don't need a headache from the detectives on here that thinking they are genius'. They wanna find me that's fine. I can make it difficult for them, but the police will say I have something to hide.

They wanna protect there shipping charges DSR, because I tell it how it is. They are afraid of me is what it comes down too.

Headache gone.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:47 PM   #222 (permalink)
Banned

You guys are really ruinung my "post to feedback ratio"
Old 10-31-2012, 12:48 PM   #223 (permalink)

Quote:
Yes I locked my photobucket, I don't need a headache from the detectives on here that thinking they are genius'. They wanna find me that's fine. I can make it difficult for them, but the police will say I have something to hide.

They wanna protect there shipping charges DSR, because I tell it how it is. They are afraid of me is what it comes down too.

Headache gone.
Your paranoia is approaching Cardcop territory.

The only thing anyone here fears about you is that you might try to buy something from them.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:53 PM   #224 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Your paranoia is approaching Cardcop territory.

The only thing anyone here fears about you is that you might try to buy something from them.
No the biggest problem I had was speaking the truth, I know for the future to keep my mouth shut.

However I had a revelation. anything under $3.00 deserves 5 stars.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:58 PM   #225 (permalink)

Quote:
No the biggest problem I had was speaking the truth
Again ... your version of the truth is subjective.