Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > THE MARKETPLACE > Member Sales/Trade Feedback

Member Sales/Trade Feedback Share feedback on Buyers, Sellers, and Traders

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2013, 09:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 108
Default Sales Tax

I just won an auction from a buyer with 1500 positive feedback. The auction said nothing about any tax and lists the cards location in Kentucky. I am in California. I go to pay with paypal and see a charge for sales tax. I PM'ed the seller but have yet to get a response. I figure with 1500 feedbacks, the seller knows what he is doing, but who knows. I am pretty sure I would only pay tax if I purchased from a legitimate brick and mortar store within the state of California, and even then it should be listed on the auction. My question is: can I manually take this charge off at checkout when I pay with paypal?

Thanks
__________________
http://s291.photobucket.com/albums/ll318/hkwinger/Cards/
hkwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
Ooosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 5,142
Default

You should always be paying tax on your online purchases, apparently eBay is moving to impose this because they are getting pressure from the government.
__________________
@Ooosh_E on Twitter
Ooosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,307
Default

unless he as a PHYSICAL presence in cali you SHOULDNT be paying sales tax under current laws the government just wants more from us and heres a fat spot they can take it from
JonMead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 19,906
Send a message via MSN to asujbl
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonMead View Post
unless he as a PHYSICAL presence in cali you SHOULDNT be paying sales tax under current laws the government just wants more from us and heres a fat spot they can take it from
Yeah - don't listen to this
__________________
http://s282.photobucket.com/albums/kk269/ohiosundevils
Want to save 5-15% on your purchase? Check my feedback and pay via Check/MO/Cash
I do not ACCEPT or SEND Gift Payments - Thanks
asujbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 108
Default

OK, now I am a bit confused. Is it the seller or ebay or paypal charging me tax? If its ebay or paypal they must have just started today, as I buy somthing like every few days. Back to the original question, can I remove it as I pay? Thanks.
__________________
http://s291.photobucket.com/albums/ll318/hkwinger/Cards/

Last edited by hkwinger; 02-24-2013 at 10:16 PM.
hkwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Oilngo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Utah
Posts: 6,024
Default

I never pay sells tax. I thought it was only put on if you buy it in state?
__________________
Utah Jazz,St. Louis RamsCalifornia Angels
IF WE ARE TRADING, YOU'RE SENDING FIRST.
http://s1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd464/Oilngo/
Oilngo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 12,477
Default

Whenever I pay taxes on purchases on ebay (CDN seller), I request an HST number from the seller. Do US sellers get a tax number to give buyers for reference??
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host
 
jlzinck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Posts: 19,090
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkwinger View Post
I just won an auction from a buyer with 1500 positive feedback. The auction said nothing about any tax and lists the cards location in Kentucky. I am in California. I go to pay with paypal and see a charge for sales tax. I PM'ed the seller but have yet to get a response. I figure with 1500 feedbacks, the seller knows what he is doing, but who knows. I am pretty sure I would only pay tax if I purchased from a legitimate brick and mortar store within the state of California, and even then it should be listed on the auction. My question is: can I manually take this charge off at checkout when I pay with paypal?

Thanks
For what it is worth this is in his Description...

Seller charges sales tax for items shipped to: CA*(7.75%).
__________________
Thin skinned megalomaniacs shouldn't post on message boards.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/jon-s-box-breaks-and-more
jlzinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 108
Default

Crazy,

Not sure how you figured out the auction that I won. Someone will have to let me in on insider secrets . I did end up paying, as when I clicked on the shipping tab it says this seller charges CA sales tax. It was not in the description but hidden away in the shipping tab. I just figured when the listing says KY I would not have to check. Live and learn. 7.75 seems super low for a sales tax anyway, as I don't believe that there is a part of this state that charges that low of a rate. I would hate to think that the seller is simply collecting "tax" and not paying it to the state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlzinck View Post
For what it is worth this is in his Description...

Seller charges sales tax for items shipped to: CA*(7.75%).
__________________
http://s291.photobucket.com/albums/ll318/hkwinger/Cards/
hkwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
nhsportsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: The beautiful resort town of Wells, ME
Posts: 4,964
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkwinger View Post
Crazy,

Not sure how you figured out the auction that I won. Someone will have to let me in on insider secrets . I did end up paying, as when I clicked on the shipping tab it says this seller charges CA sales tax. It was not in the description but hidden away in the shipping tab. I just figured when the listing says KY I would not have to check. Live and learn. 7.75 seems super low for a sales tax anyway, as I don't believe that there is a part of this state that charges that low of a rate. I would hate to think that the seller is simply collecting "tax" and not paying it to the state.
Ferris Bueller + Stephen Hawking + 'The Real Napster' = jlzinck

Welcome to his world!

Would you like to play a game?
__________________
Hobby Shop Owner in Wells, ME
nhsportsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 19,906
Send a message via MSN to asujbl
Default

If you aren't paying sales tax on your eBay purchases then you should be paying use tax depending on where you live. It's not cut and dry - it's on a state level. It isn't new - usually no one self reports their use tax but states are cracking down.
__________________
http://s282.photobucket.com/albums/kk269/ohiosundevils
Want to save 5-15% on your purchase? Check my feedback and pay via Check/MO/Cash
I do not ACCEPT or SEND Gift Payments - Thanks
asujbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 108
Default

Not to beat this to death, but my point is that these are baseball cards. Someone who opened the box should have already paid the tax. The only time I feel comfortable paying taxes (and believe me I pay my share) on the retail side is if the seller has a resale license. I agree that if I purchase a golf club from an out of state retailer I need to pay the tax on that, as no one has already done so. It would be like going to garage sale and getting charged taxes, it just does not seem right to me.
__________________
http://s291.photobucket.com/albums/ll318/hkwinger/Cards/
hkwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:33 PM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,528
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkwinger View Post
Not to beat this to death, but my point is that these are baseball cards. Someone who opened the box should have already paid the tax. The only time I feel comfortable paying taxes (and believe me I pay my share) on the retail side is if the seller has a resale license. I agree that if I purchase a golf club from an out of state retailer I need to pay the tax on that, as no one has already done so. It would be like going to garage sale and getting charged taxes, it just does not seem right to me.
"seems right" and "your legal obligation" are not always the same.
uberfatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:40 PM   #14 (permalink)
BlowoutTV
 
houdini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: East Coast
Posts: 21,226
Default

If he is collecting state sales tax, he does not have to pay taxes when he purchases the box.
__________________
Ustream Link  Breakers.TV Link
Join the bone marrow registry
"Do you think Panini is going to respond to this? This is outright fraud. They said the Diamonds were real....they have been proven to be fake. How do they get away with this? Group breakers.............thats how."
houdini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:43 PM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
cking's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: In my house
Posts: 10,028
Default

The IRS can suck nizuttttzzzzzzzz
__________________
If you give Panini business you deserve what you get
cking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:46 PM   #16 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 19,906
Send a message via MSN to asujbl
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cking View Post
The IRS can suck nizuttttzzzzzzzz
It has nothing to do with the IRS - States want the revenue kept in their State. That's why you owe Use Tax if you don't pay Sales Tax.
__________________
http://s282.photobucket.com/albums/kk269/ohiosundevils
Want to save 5-15% on your purchase? Check my feedback and pay via Check/MO/Cash
I do not ACCEPT or SEND Gift Payments - Thanks
asujbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:48 PM   #17 (permalink)
Member
 
cking's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: In my house
Posts: 10,028
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by asujbl View Post
It has nothing to do with the IRS - States want the revenue kept in their State. That's why you owe Use Tax if you don't pay Sales Tax.
ok,then whatever state they are talking about, they can suck nizzzzzzzzzzutzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
__________________
If you give Panini business you deserve what you get
cking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:01 AM   #18 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Hooksett,NH
Posts: 1,158
Default

Great state of new hampshire no sales tax so no worry
__________________
Collecting Primarily Red Sox, Bruins, Patriots or most Topps Finest cards
Axeldog15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:17 AM   #19 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 353
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeldog15
Great state of new hampshire no sales tax so no worry
Thats why I love Delaware to no. sales tax on anything!!


Posted from Blowoutcards.com App for Android
__________________
I PC Trevor May, Drew Doughty
PhilliesFan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:54 PM   #20 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 108
Default

update.

I paid the tax and sent a PM. I got a message back from the seller stating that they did not know why this happens. He did not offer a refund, but assured me that he would let ebay know about their mistake. Shady business, but I am not too surprised. I guess all the sellers need to make profit (sarcasm).
__________________
http://s291.photobucket.com/albums/ll318/hkwinger/Cards/
hkwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:06 PM   #21 (permalink)
Member
 
wheeler281's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 6,174
Send a message via AIM to wheeler281
Default

In the states of PA have to be a brick and mortar store to charge sales tax
__________________
Collecting High End Steelers
wheeler281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:12 PM   #22 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 19,906
Send a message via MSN to asujbl
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeler281 View Post
In the states of PA have to be a brick and mortar store to charge sales tax
If you live in PA you are supposed to be remitting Use Tax however - There is a line on the PA-40 to remit the sales tax you aren't paying.
__________________
http://s282.photobucket.com/albums/kk269/ohiosundevils
Want to save 5-15% on your purchase? Check my feedback and pay via Check/MO/Cash
I do not ACCEPT or SEND Gift Payments - Thanks
asujbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:21 PM   #23 (permalink)
Member
 
VWBUS1978's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: SOUTH JERSEY
Posts: 5,775
Default

use tax is a biotch... i had to pay $800 last year on my large out of state purchases including an engagement ring, and cases of cards. BTW - the cards cost more
__________________
the fact that we exist, in a universe of sheer randomness, is scientific proof that there are aliens.
we are the aliens.
i can say that with 100% accuracy.
VWBUS1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:40 PM   #24 (permalink)
Member
 
Zerokruel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 6,501
Default

I'm confused what the problem is here?

I just had to cut a check to the BOE for my sales tax for 2012 (July-December). I would say 90% of my companies income, comes through Ebay. I also report all sales tax I collect - LIKE YOU'RE SUPPOSE TOO.

Also, you don't need a physical store (at least in CA) to collect - you need to have a resale license or permit.

Edit: Also, you don't need to have the Tax collection policy in the description - it just needs to be in the shipping & handling terms (you can also tax shipping & handling on ebay).
__________________
Currently looking for the following comic Books:
United Comics: 21,22,23,24,26
Tip Top: 173 & 184
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Peanuts: 1-4 (1963-64)
Zerokruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:52 PM   #25 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 19,906
Send a message via MSN to asujbl
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerokruel View Post
I'm confused what the problem is here?

I just had to cut a check to the BOE for my sales tax for 2012 (July-December). I would say 90% of my companies income, comes through Ebay. I also report all sales tax I collect - LIKE YOU'RE SUPPOSE TOO.

Also, you don't need a physical store (at least in CA) to collect - you need to have a resale license or permit.

Edit: Also, you don't need to have the Tax collection policy in the description - it just needs to be in the shipping & handling terms (you can also tax shipping & handling on ebay).
The problem is that no one, same as 1099 questions, has ever reported their items correctly - so when something changes people don't know why.

I'd bet less then 1% of this board reports required use tax that is owed - and 99% of the time it's immaterial - but people don't even know what it is.

Same with people that think the IRS and PayPal are the same thing. Just because the 200 & 20K rule is PayPal doesn't mean that's the IRS guideline.
__________________
http://s282.photobucket.com/albums/kk269/ohiosundevils
Want to save 5-15% on your purchase? Check my feedback and pay via Check/MO/Cash
I do not ACCEPT or SEND Gift Payments - Thanks
asujbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.