Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > THE MARKETPLACE > Member Sales/Trade Feedback

Member Sales/Trade Feedback Share feedback on Buyers, Sellers, and Traders

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2013, 08:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Reasonable Ebay shipping times?

After paying for an Ebay item, how long do you think is reasonable for the seller to actually ship the item?

I won an item on the 9th, paid on the morning of the 10th, and the seller shipped today. I'm not big on dinging DSRs, but it seems like a long time between payment and shipping. What would you deem reasonable?
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
After paying for an Ebay item, how long do you think is reasonable for the seller to actually ship the item?

I won an item on the 9th, paid on the morning of the 10th, and the seller shipped today. I'm not big on dinging DSRs, but it seems like a long time between payment and shipping. What would you deem reasonable?
What was the handling time in the auction?

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/jon-s-box-breaks-and-more
jlzinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

I think taking 6 extra days just to ship is excessive. Not talking processing and delivery time. But taking a full business week to ship is too much time.
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlzinck View Post
What was the handling time in the auction?
It says delivery estimated within four days - is that actually just the handling time?

The buyer also stated "payment due within 3 days." I know that's not even enforcable by Ebay rules, but it seems odd to demand that from the buyer without holding themselves to a similar standard. It's also a fairly nice item ($500 range) so I don't like that money being held in limbo.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yeah that seems a little excessive on the shipping. Before dinging him, first see how the item comes shipped. If it looks like he doesn't give a crap and just threw yiur card in a bubble mailer then ding the hell out of him. But if it comes pretty well protected then take it a little easy on him I'd say
Old 07-16-2013, 10:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

I ship within 24 hours or less. I usually have the package boxed and labeled within an hour of payment. eMail sent to the buyer telling them that and that the item will leave in today's mail (if it hasn't come), or the next day. I too get peeved when someone takes a couple of days or more. Especially if I've paid a lot and paid within seconds of auction end. Even more peeved when I'm hit with an invoice seconds after auction end, and they take 3+ days to ship

Dinging DSR's all depends on when they stated they were going to ship and the actual ship date. Communication if there's going to be a delay, cools me off
yorkbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

the longest handling time i've seen has been boyd auctions with a 5 day handling time due to the volume.

i find, like I do here, that taking more than 48 weekday hours is just plain disrespectful to the buyer. If they pay within 48, you should ship within 48, end of story. I prefer to ship within 24, but sometimes life gets in the way of that.

Don't ask me how much I want to offer. Come with a price in mind. If I don't want it or think it's worth that, I will let you know.
Clarka3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:53 PM   #8 (permalink)

72 hours and I think 24 is what everyone should do.
People are funny
They have time to list,sell and colelct your money, but...well...You know what happens then more often than not.

I ship in 12, 48 if it is Saturday and Noon
I have an order that has the shipping time as something silly...like 15 business days.
I think my money should not be able to be accessed by a seller until the item is shipped. Not printed, but scanned in at the PO
Old 07-17-2013, 10:19 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
It says delivery estimated within four days - is that actually just the handling time?

The buyer also stated "payment due within 3 days." I know that's not even enforcable by Ebay rules, but it seems odd to demand that from the buyer without holding themselves to a similar standard. It's also a fairly nice item ($500 range) so I don't like that money being held in limbo.
That's delivery total. Something may have came up but he should have let you know.

You can open a case sooner now so that NPB may be in line with eBay rules.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:51 AM   #10 (permalink)

I usually ship with 24 hours, 48 tops, unless it's a Friday payment, in which case it will go out on Monday.
rippit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:58 AM   #11 (permalink)

As long as the seller states "I ship every Wednesday", then the delay should not be a problem. Reasonable is with 72 hours IMO. People do have lives (not using as an excuse), and crap does come up. If for the most part they have excellent feedback and secure shipping, I let slow shipping slide.

I also have NO excuses as I live a stones throw from my post office, and usually send out within 12 hours.

"Would you like to touch my monkey? Touch him! Touch my monkey!"
chipmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:28 PM   #12 (permalink)

I believe Ebay allows for something like 7 days, so what people debate really doesn't matter. If you ding someone and they were within Ebay rules your feedback can be edited.
My Bucket, always selling and trading: http://s1204.photobucket.com/user/kramerattack/library/
friarbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:34 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by friarbolt View Post
I believe Ebay allows for something like 7 days, so what people debate really doesn't matter. If you ding someone and they were within Ebay rules your feedback can be edited.
Is there a policy on Ebay that specifies such a seven-day window for shipping? I couldn't find that, but perhaps I'm missing something.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:18 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipmaster View Post
As long as the seller states "I ship every Wednesday", then the delay should not be a problem. Reasonable is with 72 hours IMO. People do have lives (not using as an excuse), and crap does come up. If for the most part they have excellent feedback and secure shipping, I let slow shipping slide.

I also have NO excuses as I live a stones throw from my post office, and usually send out within 12 hours.
I seriously have a blue box within 25 foot from the end of my driveway. stuff gets printed and walked (10 Second walk) to the box and dropped off instantly. If im busy or dont have the time to ship, I DONT RUN A SALE.

Mr. Irrelevant: The choice of Aaron Hernandez with the 180th pick gave ImNOTDanShakespeare the worst pick of the last round in terms of projected points.
DanShakespeare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:48 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Is there a policy on Ebay that specifies such a seven-day window for shipping? I couldn't find that, but perhaps I'm missing something.
I don't know the exact time, but yeah I'm pretty sure this kind of thing is spelled out on Ebay. It's too major an issue not to be, they have guidelines for shipping time.
My Bucket, always selling and trading: http://s1204.photobucket.com/user/kramerattack/library/
friarbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:51 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Just checked in Turbolister, the "handling time" dropdown menu goes all the way to 30 days handling time.
MasterOfTheDark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:57 PM   #17 (permalink)

I'm lenient when it comes to dinging shipping stars, but realistically there is no reason the card shouldn't be shipped within 72 hours tops. If you can't ship within 72 hours you shouldn't be selling. (of course their are a few minor exceptions to every rule, but communication is key)
bigzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:01 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:

Couple of questions and ideas on why it could have taken so long.

1. How were you notified that it shipped? Did tracking pop up or did he just "mark it shipped" through ebay"? Maybe it was shipped a few days ago and he forgot to mark it shipped until today? If this could be the case, wait and see the postmark date.

2. It looks like you are in Canada. A lot of the time you have to go to the post office for international shipments. If he could have just printed a label for a US shipment, maybe it would have shipped faster. It is possible his work schedule conflicted with him standing in line at the post office. (For a while you were able to print 1st class, but recently I tried and it took me to paypal and only offered priority or express international shipping options.)

3. He still should have contacted you if there was going to be a delay. But maybe check w/ him and ask why there was a delay.

I've forgotten to mail an international package before. I usually use PayPal multi-order shipping and international packages don't show up in there. so it is possible it was overlooked.
jr24ai3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:29 AM   #19 (permalink)

72 hours is my opinion on it.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:36 AM   #20 (permalink)

I generally don't ding anyone on DSRs if they ship within 5 days. And even if they take a few days more I don't give them anything lower than a 3 or a 4. I sell on Ebay and things come up sometimes that you can't help, so I try to be understanding.
rippit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:57 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr24ai3 View Post
1. How were you notified that it shipped? Did tracking pop up or did he just "mark it shipped" through ebay"? Maybe it was shipped a few days ago and he forgot to mark it shipped until today? If this could be the case, wait and see the postmark date.

2. It looks like you are in Canada. A lot of the time you have to go to the post office for international shipments. If he could have just printed a label for a US shipment, maybe it would have shipped faster. It is possible his work schedule conflicted with him standing in line at the post office. (For a while you were able to print 1st class, but recently I tried and it took me to paypal and only offered priority or express international shipping options.)

3. He still should have contacted you if there was going to be a delay. But maybe check w/ him and ask why there was a delay.
Just to respond:

1) I checked the tracking directly on the USPS site, and it wasn't mailed until the date I'd given.

2) I actually have a second Ebay account attached to an American address - I live on the border and have stuff sent to my in-laws in Orchard Park.

3) I had tried to ask him about the delay, but didn't receive any communication until the notification of shipping from Ebay.

I'm disappointed in the time it took and the seller's lack of response, but I have now received the card and I didn't ding his DSRs. I've sent him a note suggesting that he do a better job of communication in the future if shipping is delayed so that buyers don't hurt his ratings, but I tried to keep it positive. I'm just very hesitant to effectively punish a seller unless the situation really goes south. Ebay already stacks the balance heavily in favor of buyers, so I try cutting sellers as much slack as possible.

Thanks for all the input, it's appreciated.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:18 PM   #22 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to wheeler281

72hrs max unless you are notified or it is indicated in auction