Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > THE MARKETPLACE > MISC BUY/SELL/TRADE

MISC BUY/SELL/TRADE Post your Miscellaneous Buy/Sell/Trade needs here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2012, 10:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default WTB VGA to HDMI converter

Looking for a decent converter. I don't want to spend $50-$100. So if anyone has an old one lying around that works, please PM me.
charmedfan92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'm curious how you want to use this cable.

You do know that VGA is analog and HDMI is digital and unless you have a rare type of requirement, a cable is not going to do what you want it to do between the two ports?
Nicnac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

I tried looking for one a while back, told there was never one made. I was trying to use it for my laptop to my huge tube TV so I can watch Netflix on it
eBay sellers beware, I will leave you a neutral if you don't at least include a toploader when shipping a card. Feel free to block me if you don't ship with a toploader or secured card holder. That is all.
High-End Bucket: http://s1135.photobucket.com/albums/m627/AvenOZ/High-End%20and%20HTG/
CP3toOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP3toOKC View Post
I tried looking for one a while back, told there was never one made. I was trying to use it for my laptop to my huge tube TV so I can watch Netflix on it
Yah, that won't work as I said in the previous post. You must have a digital port of some kind to get HDMI...

You could go analog to analog on your TV depending on what other inputs it has.

Last edited by Nicnac; 10-02-2012 at 10:19 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to Strasburg

they have them at radioshack for $10...
Sent from U.S Airways WiFi
Strasburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicnac View Post
I'm curious how you want to use this cable.

You do know that VGA is analog and HDMI is digital and unless you have a rare type of requirement, a cable is not going to do what you want it to do between the two ports?
My friend uses it so he can play xbox on his computer monitor, even though his monitor doesn't have an hdmi port.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strasburg View Post
My friend uses it so he can play xbox on his computer monitor, even though his monitor doesn't have an hdmi port.
Ah yes... so from the HDMI on the Xbox to the VGA on the monitor. Not at all what the OP is wanting to do: VGA out to HDMI in.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:11 AM   #8 (permalink)

I want to use it to connect my laptop to my TV. My laptop only has VGA, my TV only has HDMI. I just mainly want to watch Netflix stuff.

I've been doing some searching and there is an actual converter box that I would need to do that. But I've seen some for up to $100.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:00 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedfan92 View Post
I want to use it to connect my laptop to my TV. My laptop only has VGA, my TV only has HDMI. I just mainly want to watch Netflix stuff.

I've been doing some searching and there is an actual converter box that I would need to do that. But I've seen some for up to $100.
Yups because that box receives analog and converts to digital which is what you need. Are you certain your tv doesn't have analog inputs?
Old 10-03-2012, 11:01 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Yups because that box receives analog and converts to digital which is what you need. Are you certain your tv doesn't have analog inputs?
I'm not tech savy so excuse me if what I'm about to say makes me seem like an idiot. My TV has 2 HDMI, 1 USB, and a bunch of those red, white, and yellow ports. I'm going to assume that latter are analog because those are what I used for my nintendos back in the day and DVD player(?). So, if I were to buy a VGA to (red/white/yellow things) cord (if they even have them), would that work?
Old 10-03-2012, 11:44 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm not tech savy so excuse me if what I'm about to say makes me seem like an idiot. My TV has 2 HDMI, 1 USB, and a bunch of those red, white, and yellow ports. I'm going to assume that latter are analog because those are what I used for my nintendos back in the day and DVD player(?). So, if I were to buy a VGA to (red/white/yellow things) cord (if they even have them), would that work?
I don't think VGA to RCA (the yellow + red/white connectors) would work either. Your best bet is if your TV has s-video or better, VGA (they call it PC on many TVs) inputs.

If you want to do VGA to RCA, you still need a converter:
For only $20.02 each when QTY 50+ purchased - VGA to RCA | S-VIDEO | VGA Converter | Analog Video Converters.

Seriously though, at this point, if you want Netflix on the TV, why not look into getting a Roku (HD starts at $60), and getting more bang for the buck. You'll get HD netflix, a nice interface, Hulu, Pandora, plus a ton more channels. It's a tiny little box that stays connected to the TV (without fiddling with a laptop and cables), and it's really REALLY slick.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:23 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
I don't think VGA to RCA (the yellow + red/white connectors) would work either. Your best bet is if your TV has s-video or better, VGA (they call it PC on many TVs) inputs.

If you want to do VGA to RCA, you still need a converter:
For only $20.02 each when QTY 50+ purchased - VGA to RCA | S-VIDEO | VGA Converter | Analog Video Converters.

Seriously though, at this point, if you want Netflix on the TV, why not look into getting a Roku (HD starts at $60), and getting more bang for the buck. You'll get HD netflix, a nice interface, Hulu, Pandora, plus a ton more channels. It's a tiny little box that stays connected to the TV (without fiddling with a laptop and cables), and it's really REALLY slick.
YOU ARE AWESOME! I'm buying a Roku now. I didn't even know this existed! I would have saved myself so much time and effort. Thanks for the help. Really appreciate it!
Old 10-03-2012, 02:06 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
YOU ARE AWESOME! I'm buying a Roku now. I didn't even know this existed! I would have saved myself so much time and effort. Thanks for the help. Really appreciate it!
Yups no problem. If you haven't already, start a Pandora account on your computer and start creating some music channels. That way, they will be ready when you set up your Roku.

Also, you will want to add Crackle which contains free movies and then look into Hulu and Amazon instant video:

Roku Channel Store | Netflix, Amazon Video On Demand, Hulu Plus & More on Roku Streaming Player
Old 10-03-2012, 02:19 PM   #14 (permalink)

I have all but Crackle. Will sign up soon. Thanks again for the help. I can't believe how nice people can be on here!
Old 10-03-2012, 02:30 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
I have all but Crackle. Will sign up soon. Thanks again for the help. I can't believe how nice people can be on here!
You haven't been here long. LOL
Old 10-03-2012, 02:50 PM   #16 (permalink)

I got a converter from frys electronics for around $30-40, and they are even less at times. lots of hooks up and wires though to and from the tv to convertor to the notebook. works pretty good, just a grainy picture overall. I also still use tube tvs so it is a hook up to the av outlets and everything else to the box and notebook. I think some even let you use that s cable thing if I'm not mistaken

This is the exact one I have

KWORLD KW-SA235 TV PC TO TV CONVERTER VIEW YOUR PC/LAPTOP CONTENTS ON TV | eBay

also the roku is the way to go. I have that too.
http://sportscardalbum.com/u/cactuspies
RIP Mom 10/8/09, PAPAJIM 11/22/10
Cactuspies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:33 PM   #17 (permalink)

Try monoprice.