Blowout Cards Forums
Blaster Master

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > MMA - Mixed Martial Arts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2012, 10:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Jon Jones UD auto - take a replacement?

Hi y'all:

I've got a pending redemption in with Upper Deck for a 2011 Goodwin Champions Jon Jones autograph card. According to UD support, they cannot provide a status on when these might ship.

I'd love to have this, but with no clear idea of when it might be ready and UD's mounting financial difficulties, it might be wise to just take what I can get.

Anyone in the same situation? Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
purplehaze67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

jones is probably the top selling fighter now.. who knows if you'd get something worth even half of what that auto would be worth in return..
rb808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

True, and if I knew for sure that it would eventually be produced I'd have no problem waiting it out. But there's no guarantees like that and a nagging part of me says "cut your losses and get something while you can". Thanks!
Old 04-10-2012, 07:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

I would take the bones card! I didnt even know he had a goodwin champions card.
ufcwecfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

Tell them GSP is only sub you would take but I would wait for the Jones if I were you
imbaked247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks guys, I'll bow to peer pressure and wait it out!
Old 04-11-2012, 12:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehaze67 View Post
Thanks guys, I'll bow to peer pressure and wait it out!
Smart decision. Hes gonna dominate the light heavyweight division for years!
ufcwecfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 05:07 PM   #8 (permalink)

Not sure if anyone cares, but here is the resolution to this tale.

A couple months ago, I emailed support to check the status on this card. I was told it never would be made and I had to list five athletes that I collect, for purposes of a replacement.

Trouble is, I don't collect "athletes", just hard-signed, certified auto cards and once I have one from a particular person, I don't need another. But, since I had to make the best of it, I did a little looking around and came up with five names and sent them to Upper Deck, indicating that I'd really appreciate on-card.

On Thursday, I received this:

Not someone on my list, or even from a sport I care about and a cruddy sticker auto to boot.

I tried dealing with UD customer service, but they claimed that the redemption and replacement were of equal Beckett value and they were not going to work with me.

I tried again, respectfully explaining that this card has no place in my collecting focus and could I at least get an on-card replacement. At that point, at least avoiding a sticker would have been good enough. Again, I was told that an equal Beckett exchange was all they were interested in and that this replacement was considered final.

Not sure what Beckett is using to price non-existent cards but I guess I am stuck with no real choice but to take whatever UD has lying around and wants to toss at me. I was pretty much gone from the card collecting hobby before, but this has put a bad enough taste in my mouth that I don't see coming back in the foreseeable future.

I suppose if this experience sours me to the point that I don't expose myself to any more unsatisfying transactions in this industry, I will save myself more than I have lost in this deal and I can chalk up a win in that aspect.

Thanks for reading this far and best to you all in your pursuits.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:02 AM   #9 (permalink)

wow, well thank you for the follow up, its sad to see they didnt atleast try to accomidate any of your choices im not up to speed on hockey but the jones would probably fetch $50-75 or close to $150-200 is if was SSP
Old 04-22-2014, 02:47 PM   #10 (permalink)

Value probably isn't much difference between the cards. You can get plenty is Jones' Leaf auto for around $20, and Topps UFC autos for just a little more. Zetterberg autos are just about in the same price ranges.

But, yeah, sucks to get a card from a sport you don't care about.
sthoemke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:19 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthoemke View Post
Value probably isn't much difference between the cards. You can get plenty is Jones' Leaf auto for around $20, and Topps UFC autos for just a little more. Zetterberg autos are just about in the same price ranges.

But, yeah, sucks to get a card from a sport you don't care about.
Yep, I would think that if a card company is forced to give a replacement they would try a little harder in the customer satisfaction area, even if the Beckett "value" ends up being a little off. It's all old, dead stock anyway; why not do a little better than even?

There is already some disappointment inherent in not getting the card you expected, why add more by supplying something apparently selected at random to resolve the issue? I guess as long as the bottom line isn't hurting, there is no reason to strive for a happier client base.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:33 PM   #12 (permalink)

File a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. The online form isn't that hard and won't even take 20 min. I bet UD will contact you back after they get THAT complaint. GL.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:27 AM   #13 (permalink)

i think you did great in terms of a replacement. just sell the card and buy something you like.

Also looking for Emma Watson and Kat Dennings
dashcounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:47 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashcounter View Post
i think you did great in terms of a replacement. just sell the card and buy something you like.
I may not have much choice.

I didn't find any copies of this exact card in ebay's completed listings, but this seems like a close comp:

Ouch

After paying ebay and paypal, I'd be able to swing by McDonald's for a Big Mac meal and maybe an apple pie. Not exactly where I was hoping to be.

Now, I'll be the first to admit that I know nothing about hockey cards and there may well be something about mine that would drive the price significantly higher. Could be, but I am not counting on it...
Old 04-25-2014, 08:23 PM   #15 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to nyisle

The card you are comparing it too is not really that similar, the Flashback SPx cads are kind of hard to pull.

I ship in Bubble Mailers only!! NO PWE!!!
nyisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 03:56 PM   #16 (permalink)

I can see what on-card UFC autos I have and maybe work out a trade?
freezerburn68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 01:23 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by freezerburn68 View Post
I can see what on-card UFC autos I have and maybe work out a trade?
Sure! Shoot me a PM and let's see if we can work something out.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:08 PM   #18 (permalink)

Pm sent your whey.
freezerburn68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 12:21 AM   #19 (permalink)

Damn, that sucks that it'll never be made. I'm waiting on 2. I was collecting all the Goodwin mms autos and this f's it up for me. Time to call UD...
nomercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 04:37 PM   #20 (permalink)

Default Bones

I let my redemption for this bones auto expire.. I felt stupid when I realized it..

After reading this.. I don't feel so bad.. How do they not at least try to give you something from the same sport or same product?

Redemptions will always be part of this hobby.. So will our complaints about them.

Sorry man.
matthewevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 04:52 PM   #21 (permalink)

I did try with the BBB, but UD held firm on their "book value" argument and the BB closed my complaint on that basis.

The Zetterberg just sold on ebay for $26.65.

At least I can say that this story is now behind me and I can move forward. I am pretty much done with trading cards so I won't likely put myself in this position again. Thanks all.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:25 AM   #22 (permalink)

You should have suplied a list with hof players. I bet if jordan was on the list they would have sent one.