Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > MMA - Mixed Martial Arts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2012, 01:38 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Printing Plates, Worth Collecting?

I'm just getting back into card collecting after about 25 years. I'm mainly a collector of the UFC/MMA cards. Are the printing plates worth collecting? I thought they were pretty cool and I have some of them. Also since they are 1/1 how do you determine the value other then searching completed listings on Ebay? Thanks for your comments and suggestions in advance.
akatherazor4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:54 AM   #2 (permalink)

People either like them or hate them. Doesn't seem to be much middle ground.
Ty Hope is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:07 AM   #3 (permalink)

Being 1/1 (though some ppl consider them 1/4 since you pretty much have to go after each one of the xolors to be conaidered a feat), their price is ultimately decided by the buyer (ebays's the only good venue). Thus they tend to fluctuate a lot in value.

They generally sell less than true 1/1 though (if you need comparables)

I thought they were cool as well in the beginning until their appeal faded for me. Even the auto printing plates arent that desirable for me. Thought the triple threads white whales looks good (decent design and back, doesnt look like a run off the mill plate)
bgbdbstrd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

If you're truly collecting them, you should collect whatever appeals to you. For example, I refuse to collect any non-Topps MMA products (Leaf) for a variety of reasons. They may make some nice cards and I know they have produced several cards of one of the people I collect, but I've opted to focus my collection on Topps products. Additionally, I have been accumulating a lot of Moment of Truth cards for my collection. I know many UFC collectors absolutely hate that set, but I like it.

If you're looking at it more from a value/investment/potential future value perspective, printing plates are probably not the way to go. As others have noted, many people don't like printing plates which causes their value and upside to not be as high as other types of cards (autos, first issues, parallels, relics, etc.).
Andrew Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the responses.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

I hate when people think plates are worth more than they really are. (Referring to a discussion I just had with an ebay seller)

I acquired 2 of 4 printing plates I'm trying to collect, paid 39.99 for one recently on ebay, got another in a trade of much better value .. Third one is on ebay $100 OBO.. I've thrown offers up to about 55 since it has been listed (over 4 months now) .. I messaged the seller asking how much he actually wants and that eventually turned into a borderline-argument (which he STILL hasn't answered what he wants, just that he considers it to be worth 100) He told me to use the offer button and basically that he doesn't want to deal with me because I chose to message him instead. I told him I've made offers every month since jan and was always declined (at reasonable prices too.. Not to mention, the entire time I was the ONLY one who made any offers on this card.) so I messaged him to ask what HE wanted for it.. All I got was arguments in return. Kind of insane since the actual 1/1 of that card has showed up twice already and still hasn't sold for 100, but whatever.. This is the crap part about collecting. Also, I think it's safe to say that that card won't be leaving the sellers hands because as someone who already has half the run in my PC, I'm pretty sure I was willing to pay the most for it.

(The one I won for 39.99 was the starting price.. I put a much higher max bid but nobody else bid against me)

Also looking for Michelle Wie "Award Winners" auto
rb808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:14 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb808 View Post
I hate when people think plates are worth more than they really are. (Referring to a discussion I just had with an ebay seller)

I acquired 2 of 4 printing plates I'm trying to collect, paid 39.99 for one recently on ebay, got another in a trade of much better value .. Third one is on ebay $100 OBO.. I've thrown offers up to about 55 since it has been listed (over 4 months now) .. I messaged the seller asking how much he actually wants and that eventually turned into a borderline-argument (which he STILL hasn't answered what he wants, just that he considers it to be worth 100) He told me to use the offer button and basically that he doesn't want to deal with me because I chose to message him instead. I told him I've made offers every month since jan and was always declined (at reasonable prices too.. Not to mention, the entire time I was the ONLY one who made any offers on this card.) so I messaged him to ask what HE wanted for it.. All I got was arguments in return. Kind of insane since the actual 1/1 of that card has showed up twice already and still hasn't sold for 100, but whatever.. This is the crap part about collecting. Also, I think it's safe to say that that card won't be leaving the sellers hands because as someone who already has half the run in my PC, I'm pretty sure I was willing to pay the most for it.

(The one I won for 39.99 was the starting price.. I put a much higher max bid but nobody else bid against me)
That sucks. Hope you get it man. In even worse news I bought a 2012 KO Yellow printing plate of GSP on Ebay. It was shipped to me from Canada. Well I got the package in the mail today. It was torn wide open with nothing inside. I've been checking my mailbox every day for that card as I am a huge GSP fan. Now it's either lost in a post office between here and Canada or the delivery driver stole it for himself. I'm working with the seller now to get a refund. Talk about a shi**y mail day.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:00 AM   #8 (permalink)

The only time I ever collect plates is when I've finished a "rainbow" and feel like adding to it. Currently doing that with Leaf Ali metal card #40. Two plates to go.

Ty Hope is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:46 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akatherazor4 View Post
That sucks. Hope you get it man. In even worse news I bought a 2012 KO Yellow printing plate of GSP on Ebay. It was shipped to me from Canada. Well I got the package in the mail today. It was torn wide open with nothing inside. I've been checking my mailbox every day for that card as I am a huge GSP fan. Now it's either lost in a post office between here and Canada or the delivery driver stole it for himself. I'm working with the seller now to get a refund. Talk about a shi**y mail day.
Damn, now THAT sucks. Keep an eye out for it, if it turns back up on ebay or anything.. Keep your paypal records and order info.. With that you could prove it's stolen property if it shows back up..

I've done many online deals on other sites and people always laugh or comment at how much I tape up my packages.. Something I have to do before sending them and THAT is the reason why.. I'd hate to have to refund or replace something that wasn't my fault.. Good luck with that!

*EDIT* Yeah that's what I was trying to do too.. I don't collect printing plates at all, but I was trying to get those 4 just to say I did it along with the other parallels lol

Also looking for Michelle Wie "Award Winners" auto

Last edited by rb808; 04-19-2012 at 05:49 AM.
rb808 is offline   Reply With Quote