Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Card Event 4/27/14

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > MMA - Mixed Martial Arts

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2012, 09:05 PM   #26 (permalink)
Member
 
zonacats8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Detroit
Posts: 10,653
Default

There was no upside to Jones taking the fight, if he did anything g but destroy Sonnen quickly he'd be ripped apart for not being able to dominate a guy who moved up a class and took the fight on short notice. Why risk his title and injury on that fight when he could fight a legit LHW contender a month later?

Everyone ripping Jones should really be ripping all the guys who turned down the chance to fight him as Sonnen wasn't their first choice. They had nothing to lose by taking the fight as they wouldn't be expected to do much, no reason not to take a free shot at the title
__________________
PC: Carolina Panthers and University of Arizona players, especially in UofA uniform
Jonathan Stewart PC: http://s1158.photobucket.com/albums/p615/ZonaCats8/Jonathan%20Stewart%20PC/?start=all
Star Lotulelei PC: http://sportscardalbum.com/u/zonacats8/a/star-lotulelei-pc
zonacats8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:04 PM   #27 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,985
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Jones View Post
Is Jon Jones the first UFC fighter who turned down a fight? I don't think so. If you're going to kill him for doing something, it would only seem fair to do the same to each and every UFC fighter who refused a fight.
Jon Jones is the only one to turn down a fight KNOWING an entire card would be canceled if he did that. Dana White told MMAJunkie that he told Jon those exact words, the card will be canceled if you do not accept this fight.

Its like comparing apples to elephants man.
Bryanjs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:24 PM   #28 (permalink)
Member
 
Andrew Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 5,866
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanjs14 View Post
Jon Jones is the only one to turn down a fight KNOWING an entire card would be canceled if he did that. Dana White told MMAJunkie that he told Jon those exact words, the card will be canceled if you do not accept this fight.

Its like comparing apples to elephants man.
Well, your argument was he needed to do what his boss told him to do like other employees do all the time. Shouldn't all UFC fighters be held to that same standard if that's what you believe? I mean, what about the guys who turned down the fight prior to Chael accepting it? Aren't they just as much to blame as Jones in this situation?
Andrew Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:57 PM   #29 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,985
Default

who turned down the fight? I have not read anywhere of anyone else being asked?
Bryanjs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:03 PM   #30 (permalink)
Member
 
Andrew Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 5,866
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanjs14 View Post
who turned down the fight? I have not read anywhere of anyone else being asked?
Machida was asked to replace Hendo and he declined. Chael was the second choice. Anderson Silva also said he was willing to fight as the headliner for UFC 151 but he refused to fight Jones and Dana White declined his offer. I don't think it's fair to lay all of the blame for this at the feet of Jon Jones.
Andrew Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:12 PM   #31 (permalink)
Member
 
gman71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vegas
Posts: 6,130
Default

Friend of mine passed this along to me today about what went on behind the scenes

Hendo injured
Shogun declined
Machida declined, later declined 9/22 so the fight was given to Vitor
Sonnen accepted, Jones refused
Weidman offered to fight Jones, Dana didn't consider
A. Silva offered to fight 'another 205er' at catch-weight (not Jones), Dana didn't consider
__________________
I don't trade
gman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:03 AM   #32 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 4,956
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanjs14 View Post
Jon Jones is the only one to turn down a fight KNOWING an entire card would be canceled if he did that. Dana White told MMAJunkie that he told Jon those exact words, the card will be canceled if you do not accept this fight.

Its like comparing apples to elephants man.
I dont see why your quite stuck on this.

You had plans and spent $$ and expected to see a great fight. Now its cancelled. You dont get what you paid for (i assume youll get some sort of refund/compensation). Very frustrating,and i see your side.

But i dont think you see it form the "athletes" POV.

Jon Jones' tough decision to not fight Chael Sonnen triggers outrage from fans, boss - Yahoo! Sports

Chael's not an idiot," Jackson said. "If he didn't feel he could go and do it, he wouldn't step off the couch and take the fight. I guarantee you he's been training and probably training very hard.

"That he's a middleweight is irrelevant because he's not a middleweight any more. It's not that, though, as much as it was that it was three days notice for a world title fight against a person who is exactly the opposite style of the guy we were training for. Three days to deal with a southpaw who does things very differently than Dan Henderson does, who is very dangerous and I believe in shape, didn't make much sense."

maybe thats not the real reason..maybe it is. Its what they are sticking with, and as i said before..i totally agree and totally respect the decision.

I can see and understand Liddell's argument in the article...that he is a champion, and should be expected to "take on all comers, anytime, anywhere". However, thats not really realistic imo.

And im sorry..im also not buying the other fighters "woah is me..Bones Jones got the PPV cancelled..now how am i gonna feed my kids" lame retread.

Whilei agree..just as you as a fan/customer has a reason to be upset about the cancellation, so do the fighters. They have every right to be upset about missing a big PPV payday. However..if their life sustenance is dependant on the payout/bonus' form an average of 1 fight maybe every 4 months if lucky, id say that person has a lot more life issues they need to address ie:

"One of them, Jeff Hougland, tweeted to Jones on Thursday, asking him for one of his Nike T-shirts. He said he wouldn't be able to afford to buy his daughter new clothes for school since his fight was canceled. Hougland later took the tweet down."

really bro?

If things are so tough..make your wife get a job. Get a job yourself when your not "training". How many independant wrestlers/other UFC fighters do the same?
cdub6238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:45 AM   #33 (permalink)
Member
 
chrismiller81's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MI
Posts: 1,458
Default

Jon jones is a bitch
__________________
LEBRON.......KOBE......
EXQUISITES WANTED
chrismiller81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:47 AM   #34 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,985
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman71 View Post
Friend of mine passed this along to me today about what went on behind the scenes

Hendo injured
Shogun declined
Machida declined, later declined 9/22 so the fight was given to Vitor
Sonnen accepted, Jones refused
Weidman offered to fight Jones, Dana didn't consider
A. Silva offered to fight 'another 205er' at catch-weight (not Jones), Dana didn't consider
Weidman and Silva offers both came after the event was already canceled. The damage was already done, so you cannot count either of those as legitimate replacements. I have still not seen anything anywhere saying Shogun or Machida was offerered to fight Jones next weekend. Machida was offered 9/22, but I have read nowhere that he was offered the fight next weekend. I have to believe he was absolutely NOT offered the fight next weekend. Dana White already doesn't like Machida, because he turned town a fight earlier this year, and there is no way Dana would offer Machida the 9/22 fight if he just turned down the fight next weekend. So the only person OTHER than Chael on that list that MAYBE got offered the fight is Rua, and I have seen no evidence of this in any reports anywhere. So to me, until evidence is shown that Rua or Machida was offered the fight next weekend, it is 100% on Jones. Dana told him if you don't take this Sonnen fight, the card will be canceled, and he still selfishly declined.

You want to try to argue for Jones, go for it. I was Jones biggest fan. I went to every single one of his fights, I was his guest for gods sake at the Denver Rampage fight, I sat in the first row cageside, I had breakfast with him the day before weigh-ins, and dinner with him and his family and coaches and manager after the Rampage fight (Charity auction that I won) I have not missed a single Jon Jones fight in person, and I was behind him 100%, defending his cockiness and everything, that is until this incident. Like I said until Dana says I offered the fight to these people as well and they also turned it down, in my eyes the cancelation is solely on him.

And cdub, i'll get my tickets refunded, and luckily my hotel had no problem refunding me because I go out there all the time, but I am out a $600 nonrefundable plane ticket, the UFC or Jon Jones gonna take care of that? There are thousands of other people in the same situation as me more than likely, and I am sure some of them won't be able to get their hotel refunded either. A lot of FANS lost money because of Jones decision, the UFC lost a lot of money because of Jones decision, and 20 other FIGHTERS lost money because of Jones decision. Shoot even a ton of other BUSINESSES lost a lot of money because of Jones decision. I have been hearing advertisements on the radio for almost a month now to come watch this fight at a local sports bar, thats money thrown down the advertiseing tubes for them now since the big fight they were trying to get you to come watch at their place isn't happening. His decision affected so many people, and that is why I call is selfish.

Last edited by Bryanjs14; 08-25-2012 at 08:56 AM.
Bryanjs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:02 AM   #35 (permalink)
Member
 
lionsfan20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 2,315
Default

There is a lot of ignorant posts in this thread. Anybody who takes a fight on 9 days notice is either stupid or desperate or maybe both! It is not Jones job to make sure fights happen, fighters get paid, replacement fights are lined up to save cards etc. That is Dana's job and you should all be mad at him and the UFC not Jones.
__________________
I collect Exquisite, Triple Threads, National Treasures, Five star and SP Barry Sanders stuff.

Photobucket: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v480/lors/Football%20Cards/
lionsfan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:50 AM   #36 (permalink)
Member
 
Andrew Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 5,866
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanjs14 View Post
Weidman and Silva offers both came after the event was already canceled. The damage was already done, so you cannot count either of those as legitimate replacements. I have still not seen anything anywhere saying Shogun or Machida was offerered to fight Jones next weekend. Machida was offered 9/22, but I have read nowhere that he was offered the fight next weekend. I have to believe he was absolutely NOT offered the fight next weekend. Dana White already doesn't like Machida, because he turned town a fight earlier this year, and there is no way Dana would offer Machida the 9/22 fight if he just turned down the fight next weekend. So the only person OTHER than Chael on that list that MAYBE got offered the fight is Rua, and I have seen no evidence of this in any reports anywhere. So to me, until evidence is shown that Rua or Machida was offered the fight next weekend, it is 100% on Jones. Dana told him if you don't take this Sonnen fight, the card will be canceled, and he still selfishly declined.

You want to try to argue for Jones, go for it. I was Jones biggest fan. I went to every single one of his fights, I was his guest for gods sake at the Denver Rampage fight, I sat in the first row cageside, I had breakfast with him the day before weigh-ins, and dinner with him and his family and coaches and manager after the Rampage fight (Charity auction that I won) I have not missed a single Jon Jones fight in person, and I was behind him 100%, defending his cockiness and everything, that is until this incident. Like I said until Dana says I offered the fight to these people as well and they also turned it down, in my eyes the cancelation is solely on him.

And cdub, i'll get my tickets refunded, and luckily my hotel had no problem refunding me because I go out there all the time, but I am out a $600 nonrefundable plane ticket, the UFC or Jon Jones gonna take care of that? There are thousands of other people in the same situation as me more than likely, and I am sure some of them won't be able to get their hotel refunded either. A lot of FANS lost money because of Jones decision, the UFC lost a lot of money because of Jones decision, and 20 other FIGHTERS lost money because of Jones decision. Shoot even a ton of other BUSINESSES lost a lot of money because of Jones decision. I have been hearing advertisements on the radio for almost a month now to come watch this fight at a local sports bar, thats money thrown down the advertiseing tubes for them now since the big fight they were trying to get you to come watch at their place isn't happening. His decision affected so many people, and that is why I call is selfish.
Where have you looked? I've seen the Machida part reported several places, including on ESPN.com. What Jon Jones did has been done hundreds of times by dozens of UFC fighters. If you can't see that because your mind is made up that Jones is the devil, so be it.

EDIT: Here's a link for you: http://espn.go.com/blog/mma/post/_/i...d-went-missing

Last edited by Andrew Jones; 08-25-2012 at 10:08 AM.
Andrew Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:39 AM   #37 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,985
Default

Again, you are comparing apples to elephants man. I don't know how in The world you can compare a fighter not taking a fight vs a fighter not taking a fight that canceled an entire card. There is such a massive difference between the two. Plenty of fighters have turned down fights, not a single fighter turned down a fight KNOWING an entire card would be canceled except Jon Jones. It's the most selfish act is just about any sport I have ever seen. The amount of people his decision affected is just crazy. Also show me where I said other fighters not taking fights doesn't piss me off as well? Anderson is just as much of a little baby. Fight anyone if you are that good.

Ok fine, so Machida was asked. The difference is Jon had already trained for over a month and was in the middle of a weigh cut. Machida would have 9 days to get in fighting shape and lose about 25lbs (he walks around close to 230) there is massive difference between machida saying no, and jones saying no. Jones was already fight ready, other than his gameplan.

Last edited by Bryanjs14; 08-25-2012 at 10:59 AM.
Bryanjs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:05 AM   #38 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 817
Default

Good job, you have life figured out and have all the answers!

Really bro?


Quote:
Originally Posted by cdub6238 View Post
I dont see why your quite stuck on this.

You had plans and spent $$ and expected to see a great fight. Now its cancelled. You dont get what you paid for (i assume youll get some sort of refund/compensation). Very frustrating,and i see your side.

But i dont think you see it form the "athletes" POV.

Jon Jones' tough decision to not fight Chael Sonnen triggers outrage from fans, boss - Yahoo! Sports

Chael's not an idiot," Jackson said. "If he didn't feel he could go and do it, he wouldn't step off the couch and take the fight. I guarantee you he's been training and probably training very hard.

"That he's a middleweight is irrelevant because he's not a middleweight any more. It's not that, though, as much as it was that it was three days notice for a world title fight against a person who is exactly the opposite style of the guy we were training for. Three days to deal with a southpaw who does things very differently than Dan Henderson does, who is very dangerous and I believe in shape, didn't make much sense."

maybe thats not the real reason..maybe it is. Its what they are sticking with, and as i said before..i totally agree and totally respect the decision.

I can see and understand Liddell's argument in the article...that he is a champion, and should be expected to "take on all comers, anytime, anywhere". However, thats not really realistic imo.

And im sorry..im also not buying the other fighters "woah is me..Bones Jones got the PPV cancelled..now how am i gonna feed my kids" lame retread.

Whilei agree..just as you as a fan/customer has a reason to be upset about the cancellation, so do the fighters. They have every right to be upset about missing a big PPV payday. However..if their life sustenance is dependant on the payout/bonus' form an average of 1 fight maybe every 4 months if lucky, id say that person has a lot more life issues they need to address ie:

"One of them, Jeff Hougland, tweeted to Jones on Thursday, asking him for one of his Nike T-shirts. He said he wouldn't be able to afford to buy his daughter new clothes for school since his fight was canceled. Hougland later took the tweet down."

really bro?

If things are so tough..make your wife get a job. Get a job yourself when your not "training". How many independant wrestlers/other UFC fighters do the same?
hychang5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:21 AM   #39 (permalink)
Member
 
gman71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vegas
Posts: 6,130
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdub6238 View Post
I dont see why your quite stuck on this.

You had plans and spent $$ and expected to see a great fight. Now its cancelled. You dont get what you paid for (i assume youll get some sort of refund/compensation). Very frustrating,and i see your side.

But i dont think you see it form the "athletes" POV.

Jon Jones' tough decision to not fight Chael Sonnen triggers outrage from fans, boss - Yahoo! Sports

Chael's not an idiot," Jackson said. "If he didn't feel he could go and do it, he wouldn't step off the couch and take the fight. I guarantee you he's been training and probably training very hard.

"That he's a middleweight is irrelevant because he's not a middleweight any more. It's not that, though, as much as it was that it was three days notice for a world title fight against a person who is exactly the opposite style of the guy we were training for. Three days to deal with a southpaw who does things very differently than Dan Henderson does, who is very dangerous and I believe in shape, didn't make much sense."

maybe thats not the real reason..maybe it is. Its what they are sticking with, and as i said before..i totally agree and totally respect the decision.

I can see and understand Liddell's argument in the article...that he is a champion, and should be expected to "take on all comers, anytime, anywhere". However, thats not really realistic imo.

And im sorry..im also not buying the other fighters "woah is me..Bones Jones got the PPV cancelled..now how am i gonna feed my kids" lame retread.

Whilei agree..just as you as a fan/customer has a reason to be upset about the cancellation, so do the fighters. They have every right to be upset about missing a big PPV payday. However..if their life sustenance is dependant on the payout/bonus' form an average of 1 fight maybe every 4 months if lucky, id say that person has a lot more life issues they need to address ie:

"One of them, Jeff Hougland, tweeted to Jones on Thursday, asking him for one of his Nike T-shirts. He said he wouldn't be able to afford to buy his daughter new clothes for school since his fight was canceled. Hougland later took the tweet down."

really bro?

If things are so tough..make your wife get a job. Get a job yourself when your not "training". How many independant wrestlers/other UFC fighters do the same?
You do realize that Sonnen was not in the gym at all since his last fight and would have had to put on weight just to make the fight. The last thing he was for the possible fight was in shape.
__________________
I don't trade
gman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:23 AM   #40 (permalink)
Member
 
gman71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vegas
Posts: 6,130
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanjs14 View Post
Weidman and Silva offers both came after the event was already canceled. The damage was already done, so you cannot count either of those as legitimate replacements. I have still not seen anything anywhere saying Shogun or Machida was offerered to fight Jones next weekend. Machida was offered 9/22, but I have read nowhere that he was offered the fight next weekend. I have to believe he was absolutely NOT offered the fight next weekend. Dana White already doesn't like Machida, because he turned town a fight earlier this year, and there is no way Dana would offer Machida the 9/22 fight if he just turned down the fight next weekend. So the only person OTHER than Chael on that list that MAYBE got offered the fight is Rua, and I have seen no evidence of this in any reports anywhere. So to me, until evidence is shown that Rua or Machida was offered the fight next weekend, it is 100% on Jones. Dana told him if you don't take this Sonnen fight, the card will be canceled, and he still selfishly declined.

You want to try to argue for Jones, go for it. I was Jones biggest fan. I went to every single one of his fights, I was his guest for gods sake at the Denver Rampage fight, I sat in the first row cageside, I had breakfast with him the day before weigh-ins, and dinner with him and his family and coaches and manager after the Rampage fight (Charity auction that I won) I have not missed a single Jon Jones fight in person, and I was behind him 100%, defending his cockiness and everything, that is until this incident. Like I said until Dana says I offered the fight to these people as well and they also turned it down, in my eyes the cancelation is solely on him.

And cdub, i'll get my tickets refunded, and luckily my hotel had no problem refunding me because I go out there all the time, but I am out a $600 nonrefundable plane ticket, the UFC or Jon Jones gonna take care of that? There are thousands of other people in the same situation as me more than likely, and I am sure some of them won't be able to get their hotel refunded either. A lot of FANS lost money because of Jones decision, the UFC lost a lot of money because of Jones decision, and 20 other FIGHTERS lost money because of Jones decision. Shoot even a ton of other BUSINESSES lost a lot of money because of Jones decision. I have been hearing advertisements on the radio for almost a month now to come watch this fight at a local sports bar, thats money thrown down the advertiseing tubes for them now since the big fight they were trying to get you to come watch at their place isn't happening. His decision affected so many people, and that is why I call is selfish.
Last person I'm arguing for is Jones. What he pulled was a total bitch move, not to mention I was getting tix for the fights thru work and had bought my tix to see Joe Rogan and company do their stand up over at Mandaly which got cancelled as well over this crap
__________________
I don't trade
gman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:25 AM   #41 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,985
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdub6238 View Post
I dont see why your quite stuck on this.

You had plans and spent $$ and expected to see a great fight. Now its cancelled. You dont get what you paid for (i assume youll get some sort of refund/compensation). Very frustrating,and i see your side.

But i dont think you see it form the "athletes" POV.

Jon Jones' tough decision to not fight Chael Sonnen triggers outrage from fans, boss - Yahoo! Sports

Chael's not an idiot," Jackson said. "If he didn't feel he could go and do it, he wouldn't step off the couch and take the fight. I guarantee you he's been training and probably training very hard.

"That he's a middleweight is irrelevant because he's not a middleweight any more. It's not that, though, as much as it was that it was three days notice for a world title fight against a person who is exactly the opposite style of the guy we were training for. Three days to deal with a southpaw who does things very differently than Dan Henderson does, who is very dangerous and I believe in shape, didn't make much sense."

maybe thats not the real reason..maybe it is. Its what they are sticking with, and as i said before..i totally agree and totally respect the decision.

I can see and understand Liddell's argument in the article...that he is a champion, and should be expected to "take on all comers, anytime, anywhere". However, thats not really realistic imo.

And im sorry..im also not buying the other fighters "woah is me..Bones Jones got the PPV cancelled..now how am i gonna feed my kids" lame retread.

Whilei agree..just as you as a fan/customer has a reason to be upset about the cancellation, so do the fighters. They have every right to be upset about missing a big PPV payday. However..if their life sustenance is dependant on the payout/bonus' form an average of 1 fight maybe every 4 months if lucky, id say that person has a lot more life issues they need to address ie:

"One of them, Jeff Hougland, tweeted to Jones on Thursday, asking him for one of his Nike T-shirts. He said he wouldn't be able to afford to buy his daughter new clothes for school since his fight was canceled. Hougland later took the tweet down."

really bro?

If things are so tough..make your wife get a job. Get a job yourself when your not "training". How many independant wrestlers/other UFC fighters do the same?




Your comments at the end of this obviously show you have no idea what goes into being a fighter in the UFC. It's a year round job man. When you aren't fighting, you are training hard. When you are fighting, you are training even harder.
Bryanjs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:28 AM   #42 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,985
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman71 View Post
You do realize that Sonnen was not in the gym at all since his last fight and would have had to put on weight just to make the fight. The last thing he was for the possible fight was in shape.
Not true at all. Chael walks around at OVER 205lbs. Usually around 210-215, so he still would have had to cut a little bit for the Jones fight
Bryanjs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 04:56 PM   #43 (permalink)
Member
 
Hellwig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 307
Default

It's all about not losing your spot. Just wish they would come out and say it. It has happened time and time again. Accepting a different opponent on short notice and then losing. Paydays are over then because you wanted to play hero. It's a cut throat business. I bet if they upped the payday big time Jones would have taken the fight.
__________________
Looking for any Milwaukee Brewers Autos, Ben Sheets, 2003-2005 Topps Retired Stars Autos bucket = http://www.flickr.com/photos/34406249@N04/collections/72157631597289438/
Hellwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 05:47 PM   #44 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,985
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellwig View Post
It's all about not losing your spot. Just wish they would come out and say it. It has happened time and time again. Accepting a different opponent on short notice and then losing. Paydays are over then because you wanted to play hero. It's a cut throat business. I bet if they upped the payday big time Jones would have taken the fight.
Chael Sonnen makes a higher base salary per fight than Jon Jones. He offered to give Jon his entire purse to take the fight (which had he won, would have been double his base salary). Jon still turned it down.
Bryanjs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:11 PM   #45 (permalink)
Member
 
Hellwig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 307
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanjs14 View Post
Chael Sonnen makes a higher base salary per fight than Jon Jones. He offered to give Jon his entire purse to take the fight (which had he won, would have been double his base salary). Jon still turned it down.
UFC should have (excuse the pun) thrown him some extra Bones out of their pocket or under the table. Bottom line if he loses his reputation and future earning pocket are hurt. Greedy.... probably... Looking out for his best interests... yes UFC knows what is at stake though, they let down the fans.
__________________
Looking for any Milwaukee Brewers Autos, Ben Sheets, 2003-2005 Topps Retired Stars Autos bucket = http://www.flickr.com/photos/34406249@N04/collections/72157631597289438/
Hellwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:29 PM   #46 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA
Posts: 1,706
Default

Ufc should have made the undercards great in case the maincard gets canceled. Its a cutthroat business and fighter should look into their best interest. and guess what the ufc cuts you when.you loose their as greedy as any company out there.
__________________
COLLECTING 96-97 SKYBOX AUTOGRAPHICS BASKETBALL
carl2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:03 PM   #47 (permalink)
Member
 
fm8418's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: ohio
Posts: 6,151
Send a message via AIM to fm8418
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanjs14 View Post
Chael Sonnen makes a higher base salary per fight than Jon Jones. He offered to give Jon his entire purse to take the fight (which had he won, would have been double his base salary). Jon still turned it down.
you realize thats a lie right?

Jones last base salary was 400,000 and Sonnens was 50,000

Also Sonnen walks around 215-220 so no weight would be needed.

The PPV shouldve still went on or atleast put it on free tv. Yes Jones is a wuss and shouldve fought but the UFC cancelled it
fm8418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:09 PM   #48 (permalink)
Member
 
ronlabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Long Branch, NJ
Posts: 10,793
Default

"Bones" = B!tch he ain't as Nasty as he thinks he is
__________________
From the Halls of Montezuma To the shores of Tripoli; We fight our country's battles In the air, on land, and sea; First to fight for right and freedom And to keep our honor clean; We are proud to claim the title Of United States Marine.
ronlabo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:39 AM   #49 (permalink)
Member
 
fm8418's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: ohio
Posts: 6,151
Send a message via AIM to fm8418
Default

except when he's in the cage and kills everyone
fm8418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:20 AM   #50 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 4,956
Default

seems as if there are others who share my opinion:

Hustle Is Posting Right Now - Make No Bones About It
cdub6238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.