Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > MMA - Mixed Martial Arts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2012, 02:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default UFC 151 cancelled

Dana White announced today UFC 151 has been cancelled due to Dan Henderson having a MCL tear & not being able to fight Jon Jones

Opponents were offered to Jones, including Chael Sonnen, but Bones turned it down due to only 8 days notice

First UFC event to be cancelled in 11 years
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mixed-martial arts organization Ultimate Fighting Championship announced Thursday it canceled its upcoming pay-per-view card slated for Las Vegas next month, marking the first time in 11 years UFC scrapped an event.

Dan Henderson was supposed to fight light heavyweight champion Jon Jones for the title. Henderson was scratched from the card, though, due to a knee ligament tear.

In a conference call, UFC president Dana White said Chael Sonnen offered to fill the vacant spot in the card's main event, but Jones refused.

"The one thing I never thought would happen happened," White said during Thursday's call. "Jon Jones said he won't fight Chael Sonnen on eight days' notice."

White said Jones did not accept the new fight on advice of his head trainer, Greg Jackson.

Sonnen, who lost by technical knock-out in July against Anderson Silva for the middleweight title, was willing to go up to light heavyweight on short notice, according to White.

UFC 151 was originally slated for Sept. 1 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center.

The scheduled fight after the Las Vegas card – UFC 152 in Toronto – now becomes UFC 151, the fight organization said. The organizations said Jones will fight Lyota Machida

Last edited by gman71; 08-23-2012 at 03:13 PM.
gman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman71 View Post
Dana White announced today UFC 151 has been cancelled due to Dan Henderson having a MCL tear & not being able to fight Jon Jones

Opponents were offered to Jones, including Chael Sonnen, but Bones turned it down due to only 8 days notice

First UFC event to be cancelled in 11 years
Makes me wonder why Bones wouldnt fight Sonnen.... I would have loved to see that...
Srt42004n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to fm8418

Jones says business decision. BS. Basically all the fighters on twitter have come out and said they have taken fights on less notice.

The UFC shouldve had a better undercard to save the PPV also
fm8418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have been to EVERY Jones fight since his debut in the UFC. I had my plane ticket and hotel booked for this fight as well. I was a huge fan, rooted for him always

As far as I am concerned, I am absolutely no longer a fan of Jon Jones. I hope Machida somehow destroys him. To kill an entire card, to make 20 other fighters NOT get paid after all their training just because you don't agree with the replacement is the most selfish thing I have ever seen in any sport. Chael Sonnen even offered Jon Jones his entire purse just to show up and fight so that the other 20 fighters on the card could show up and get paid for all the hard work they put in.
Bryanjs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fm8418 View Post
Jones says business decision. BS. Basically all the fighters on twitter have come out and said they have taken fights on less notice.

The UFC shouldve had a better undercard to save the PPV also
Bisping fought Chael on 8 days notice
Old 08-23-2012, 03:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

Can one say hyprocrite?

Jones will now defend his title on Sept. 22 against Lyoto Machida in Toronto. That card was promoted as UFC 152 but now will be considered UFC 151 in place of the canceled Vegas card.

Jones said recently that he did not want to fight Machida in a rematch because of low pay-per-view numbers the two generated Dec. 10 in Toronto. In that bout at UFC 140, Jones won by submission in the second round.

"I don't want to fight Lyoto Machida," Jones said. "He was my lowest pay-per-view draw of last year. No one wants to see me fight Lyoto Machida. I don't want to fight Lyoto again. Lyoto is high-risk and low-reward."
Old 08-23-2012, 03:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

Atta boy Jon Bones the SISS!!!

Well played you coward!
Major_League is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanjs14 View Post
Bisping fought Chael on 8 days notice
and he lost

Quote:
I have been to EVERY Jones fight since his debut in the UFC. I had my plane ticket and hotel booked for this fight as well. I was a huge fan, rooted for him always

As far as I am concerned, I am absolutely no longer a fan of Jon Jones. I hope Machida somehow destroys him. To kill an entire card, to make 20 other fighters NOT get paid after all their training just because you don't agree with the replacement is the most selfish thing I have ever seen in any sport. Chael Sonnen even offered Jon Jones his entire purse just to show up and fight so that the other 20 fighters on the card could show up and get paid for all the hard work they put in.
The UFC cancelled the card not Jones. I think Jones is a wuss but don't blame him for that, blame the UFC for having a horrible under card

Last edited by fm8418; 08-23-2012 at 04:54 PM.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman71 View Post
Can one say hyprocrite?

Jones will now defend his title on Sept. 22 against Lyoto Machida in Toronto. That card was promoted as UFC 152 but now will be considered UFC 151 in place of the canceled Vegas card.

Jones said recently that he did not want to fight Machida in a rematch because of low pay-per-view numbers the two generated Dec. 10 in Toronto. In that bout at UFC 140, Jones won by submission in the second round.

"I don't want to fight Lyoto Machida," Jones said. "He was my lowest pay-per-view draw of last year. No one wants to see me fight Lyoto Machida. I don't want to fight Lyoto again. Lyoto is high-risk and low-reward."
he had no choice in this, Machida won #1 contendership. I hate Jones but people need to get facts straight. Sonnen wanted to fight him next week. It makes no sense to have Sonne/Jones fight in September when they have a #1 contender waiting.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:07 PM   #10 (permalink)

From the deafening silence that descended over MMA's favorite social media platforms Thursday morning, you could tell something big was about to happen.

You just didn't know it would be quite this weird.

Even as the UFC hastily (and cryptically) organized an afternoon conference call for "a special announcement" about next weekend's UFC 151, news of Dan Henderson's knee injury had been all but confirmed. Befitting the breakneck pace of the sport's news cycle, most of the speculation had already moved on to whom the company would find to replace Henderson in his light heavyweight title fight against Jon Jones.

Those in the know fully expected it to be Chael Sonnen and, in that, expected some typically mundane prefight fireworks.

We didn't expect this.

We didn't expect that for the first time in his tenure as UFC president, Dana White would cancel a high-profile pay-per-view event, pulling the plug on UFC 151 just nine days before it was scheduled to go down at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas. We didn't expect he would also take a verbal flamethrower to the public image of one of his superstars.

White has always been one to wear his emotions on his sleeve, but after Jones reportedly refused a short-notice fight against Sonnen that would have saved UFC 151, the vitriol he unleashed on his 205-pound champion was unprecedented -- at least for an employee. White lambasted Jones and his coaches during the 45-minute call, saying he "didn't know what to expect anymore" from the No. 2 pound-for-pound fighter in the world and labeling Jones' mentor Greg Jackson as a sport killer.

It was awkward, it was ugly, and if you thought Jones was unpopular before, you ain't seen nothing yet.

"This is probably one of my all-time lows as being president of the UFC," White said in one of the tamer, more family-friendly moments. "I don't know why a guy who is a world champion and considered by many one of the pound-for-pound best wouldn't fight somebody. I don't know the answer to that. It's baffling to me. I've never seen it before."

Even by the standards of the unpredictable MMA world and White's acerbic, off-the-cuff nature, this performance may go down as one of the most bizarre happenings in the sport's history. Never before have we seen him this mad at a guy who had previously figured to be one of the UFC's biggest assets in its continued push toward mainstream acceptance.

When asked how much the events of the past 24 hours would affect the UFC's relationship with Jones, White responded, "A lot."

"Jon Jones has been one of these guys who, as much as he's won and all the things he's accomplished in a short amount of time he's been a champion that hasn't been very popular," White said. "I don't think this is going to do wonders for his popularity. As far as the relationship with us? Me and [UFC co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta] are both disgusted."

Even before today, Jones has been a divisive figure in MMA circles. He breezed through the best competition in the light heavyweight division but has had considerable trouble connecting with the sport's hard-core fan base. It may be the understatement of the year to say this latest turn of events will not help that.

By drawing the ire of the most powerful man in the sport -- rightly or wrongly -- the public relations battle figures to get even more difficult for Jones
Old 08-23-2012, 06:10 PM   #11 (permalink)

I never thought I'd have more respect for Sonnen than I do for Jon Jones, but it's happened!
Yaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:10 PM   #12 (permalink)

I was a big fan of Jones watching him come up and beating everyone.. Then when he got the belt, my opinion started to change as time went on.. I don't like the road he's headed down and I'm surprised he turned down sonnen. (Though honestly I'm not sure why Sonnen of all people would deserve an immediate title shot after losing one) Machida and Hendo happen to be my 2 favorite guys in 205, so watching either of those guys beat Jones would make my year.

Also looking for Michelle Wie "Award Winners" auto
rb808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:15 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fm8418 View Post

The UFC cancelled the card not Jones. I think Jones is a wuss but don't blame him for that, blame the UFC for having a horrible under card
Because Jones is the main event and the main reason people wanted to go.. Imagine if you paid for the flight and tickets just to see Jones vs. Henderson and ended up going out there unable to see that main event? People would be pissed. The main event is one of the biggest title fights of the year, and when the champion won't stay on the card, you can't blame the UFC for not being able to bring the rest of the card up to the hype of the main event. Jones vs. Sonnen would've pulled in a GOOD amount of viewers.. After all the injuries this past year, nobody wants to even pay for a PPV of another broken down fight card, and that includes us here.

Also looking for Michelle Wie "Award Winners" auto
rb808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:45 PM   #14 (permalink)

Wow, just horrible news! TBH, 9 days left before the fight Hendo should have been doing light training so he didn't have to worry about injuries. That's common knowledge! Jones on the other hand shouldn't have any worries about a fight with Chael and for him to take advice from his trainer in not taking the fight is just going to make Chael vs Jones happen at some point in the future because this is going to add gas to Chael's fire. Expect that fight after Machida vs Jones.
joltedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:19 AM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

CHAEL Vs. Bones would be a great fight in my Opinion, sucks..
srslychris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:20 AM   #16 (permalink)

Looks like Vitor Belfort vs Bones now...
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Peanuts: 1-4 (1963-64)
Zerokruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:25 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerokruel View Post
Looks like Vitor Belfort vs Bones now...
Jon Jones to fight Vitor Belfort at UFC 152 - ESPN

Im a little confused by all the posters and other MMA fighters and the stance of this "cancellation".

Yes..Jones is the champion and should "welcome"all challengers. But seriously people?? 9 days notice?? and you guys are calling him a pussy and a disgrace??

It is a LOT EASIER for a challenger to step in on short notice and fight...what does he have to lose?

If he loses..well it was short notice, not enough time to train, at least i stepped up to fight...If he wins, he gets more respect.

As a champion though..what exactly do you stand to gain from it?

you trained for however long to fight a certain opponent...how the hell are you suppose to "get ready" in just a tad over a week? Sonnen comes in and wins, boom not only does he lose his championship, it also makes him look like a chump for not being able to beat a "substitute" fighter.

While it sucks for everyone else who was expecting to fight and get a payday...i dont fault Jones one bit with his decision.

Also..if he was such a pussy, why did he accept to reschedule the fight 4 weeks later with proper time to prepare?

Also for all that crap everyone is dumping on Jones for not wanting to fight someone else on short notice...why isnt anyone giving the other fighters crap who turned down Sonnen's shot (ive seen reports he wasnt the first choice, just the first one who accepted)...or Machida and Rua who turned down a fight at the end of the month?

Whether you like Jones or not...and whether hes the champion or not..he still deserves a fair shake for HIS title.
cdub6238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:48 AM   #18 (permalink)

He is an employee of a company. If my job tells me to do something, I do it. Same should apply to him. I hate these entitled brats like him and Anderson who pick who they fight. I don't care if you are champion and did a lot of work to get there, there is still a business to run, with 250+ other fighters, and thousands of employees, and you need to suck it up and do what your boss asks of you. It's pretty much that simple.

Also, what do you tell the other 20 guys working their ass off that we're on the card? Sorry, my decision means you aren't getting paid until your fight can be inserted into another card months down the road? Sorry, that money you were going to use to buy clothes for your kid and put food on the table... My decision means you won't be able to do that.

What do you tell the people who booked airfare and hotel rooms months ago, and cannot get them refunded?

Don't know how anyone could still be on Jones side and defend him. His selfish decision affects so many other people

Last edited by Bryanjs14; 08-24-2012 at 07:53 AM.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:42 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
He is an employee of a company. If my job tells me to do something, I do it. Same should apply to him. I hate these entitled brats like him and Anderson who pick who they fight. I don't care if you are champion and did a lot of work to get there, there is still a business to run, with 250+ other fighters, and thousands of employees, and you need to suck it up and do what your boss asks of you. It's pretty much that simple.

Also, what do you tell the other 20 guys working their ass off that we're on the card? Sorry, my decision means you aren't getting paid until your fight can be inserted into another card months down the road? Sorry, that money you were going to use to buy clothes for your kid and put food on the table... My decision means you won't be able to do that.

What do you tell the people who booked airfare and hotel rooms months ago, and cannot get them refunded?

Don't know how anyone could still be on Jones side and defend him. His selfish decision affects so many other people
Hmm..maybe i missed it somewhere but where/when exactly did Dana White TELL him he had to do anything?

He COULD have told him he had to fight..or face suspension, vacate his title or whatever else he wanted..but he didnt do that. Probably because even though hes pissed (being the head of the company and all) about having to cancel and losing $$..he understands.

Im not saying that Jones is saying or has said that was his reasoning..im not sure if he ever gave one. But i would understand and respect his decision if it was.

Now..if it was strictly a "business decision"..ie he didnt think it would draw as many PPV buys and meaning hed get less $$ (his reasoning for not wanting to fight Machida again)..then yes, complete BS.

As far as everything else...other fighters/fans..

Does it suck? of course it does, absolutely..but isnt it the same thing as a concert/other sporting event being cancelled or re-scheduled?

It sucks..but crap happens. Im sure Dana White will try to give some compensation to the paying fans somehow
cdub6238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:50 AM   #20 (permalink)

Jon Jones Just Duck It T-Shirt | eBay
Old 08-24-2012, 11:55 AM   #21 (permalink)

Dana white cannot legally tell him to do anything, but of your boss told you he would like you to do something or else something bad will happen to the company and other employees if you don't do this, I'm pretty sure 99.99999% of working people would do what they are told. What gives him any right to refuse any fight? He is a paid employee, if you are asked to fight, you fight.

If he wants to choose who he fights, go start your own MMA league, be the president, and then you can decide who you fight, otherwise do your damn job and get in the octagon with whoever your boss wants you to

Last edited by Bryanjs14; 08-24-2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:23 PM   #22 (permalink)

I think this is horrible for the sport. I feel bad for the other fighters who spent what little money they had, just to train for this card - and get cancelled.
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Peanuts: 1-4 (1963-64)
Zerokruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:25 PM   #23 (permalink)

Yeah it is really bad for the sport. Think of those undercard fighters who not only spent money to train and everything, but that spent money to fly family and friends out for the fight. I hope most everyone gets trip insurance, but I know that is not the case. I am sure there are lots of people right now stuck with airfare and a hotel room for next weekend that were going solely for the fight, myself included. I was flying there friday night, coming back Sunday morning. Wasn't going to gamble, was going to get two good dinners friday and saturday, and see the fight saturday night. My hotel worked with me no problem just because I travel there a lot, but my airfare is wasted money, I cannot cancel it without simply losing the entire purchase price
Old 08-24-2012, 02:08 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Dana white cannot legally tell him to do anything, but of your boss told you he would like you to do something or else something bad will happen to the company and other employees if you don't do this, I'm pretty sure 99.99999% of working people would do what they are told. What gives him any right to refuse any fight? He is a paid employee, if you are asked to fight, you fight.

If he wants to choose who he fights, go start your own MMA league, be the president, and then you can decide who you fight, otherwise do your damn job and get in the octagon with whoever your boss wants you to
Is Jon Jones the first UFC fighter who turned down a fight? I don't think so. If you're going to kill him for doing something, it would only seem fair to do the same to each and every UFC fighter who refused a fight.
Andrew Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:29 PM   #25 (permalink)

Greg Jackson deserves as much if not more flack than Jones over this. If Jackson was half as good as he thinks he is in his mind, he'd have no problem getting Jones ready to fight a guy who was not training and would be moving up in weight to take the fight.

Jones would have had zero problems with Sonnen and don't think for a second that Sonnen won't chirp about this forever