Blowout Cards Forums
2014 holiday shipping promo

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > MMA - Mixed Martial Arts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 11:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Pricing mma cards

Can anyone tell me what's the best way to price mma cards? I know i read somewhere that ebay is not a good way because some people overprice their cards. What about the beckett online guide? Is it worth signing up for? I understand that it depends on what the card means to me and what it means to the buyer but i'd like another option besides looking on ebay and seeing what other people are selling them for. If this topic has been talked about before, please point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance. EJ
RUCKUS671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

I simply price everything off of completed auctions bc its a clear indicator of what people are willing to pay. Problem with MMA cards is if the fighter loses 2-3 fights he gets cut so value drops lower
Srt42004n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:58 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srt42004n View Post
I simply price everything off of completed auctions bc its a clear indicator of what people are willing to pay. Problem with MMA cards is if the fighter loses 2-3 fights he gets cut so value drops lower
Cool, thanks. Appreciate the help.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:02 AM   #4 (permalink)

Dont use Beckett, the ONLY method of finding out values is completed sales on ebay, but most cards have nosedived at least 50% if not more, if this continues, there won't be anymore UFC cards in less than 3 years.

All of the big case breakers have stopped opening any product, I know of just 5 guys myself included, who would open at least 5-10 cases of each product, and none of us are touching any of this new stuff.

If you are buying to keep, just hold off on buying anything for awhile, they will all keep going down. The only cards that will retain any value in 20 years will be Round 1.

When you can get any of the big name fighters autos for less than $40, there is a major problem.
twoten01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:04 AM   #5 (permalink)

What cards are you looking for values on? I have owned and sold almost every card since Round 1 through 2011 Moment of truth.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:42 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoten01 View Post
Dont use Beckett, the ONLY method of finding out values is completed sales on ebay, but most cards have nosedived at least 50% if not more, if this continues, there won't be anymore UFC cards in less than 3 years.

All of the big case breakers have stopped opening any product, I know of just 5 guys myself included, who would open at least 5-10 cases of each product, and none of us are touching any of this new stuff.

If you are buying to keep, just hold off on buying anything for awhile, they will all keep going down. The only cards that will retain any value in 20 years will be Round 1.

When you can get any of the big name fighters autos for less than $40, there is a major problem.
Sad news for a new UFC collector. The fact that they were so cheap was what pulled me to the mma side of collecting. I used to collect basketball back in the day but stopped for about ten years.
Quote:
What cards are you looking for values on? I have owned and sold almost every card since Round 1 through 2011 Moment of truth.
I wanted to know what some of the cards from my recent 2012 Finest break were going for, like the Jake Ellenberger auto #/25 and the Alistair 1/1 relic plate........ps, got any Penn, Aldo or Silva auto's that i can buy for dirt cheap! haha j/k
Old 10-23-2012, 11:46 AM   #7 (permalink)

I'm just starting out collecting UFC and other non major sport cards. Why not use Beckett?I hear a lot of rips and gripes on Beckett and none actually are based on anything other than opinion or personal bias. I'm just wanting to get some feedback from this side of the house.
Texas Brave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

MMA cards are tanking right now. It's crazy! And Topps keeps the flood coming. Bloodlines out next month, and Knockout out in early 2013. With those two, you can expect a ton more relics, autos, and mainly STICKER AUTOS to come... and with every new release, the singles market drops lower and lower.

I'm glad that I can get some nice cards of my favorite fighters at a good price and all... I just don't enjoy watching my collection keep decreasing in value every month. Topps needs to slow down... and they need to make a low end product again, that doesn't have a ton of relics and autos in every box.

I used to crack boxes of stuff like Finest, because it was a blast. 2 relics, 2 mats, and 2 autos. Now, those relics can barely even sell for a buck each, and the mats are almost the same. And the autos sell for what, a couple of bucks each? Unless you hit a gold or octa, and even those are continually dropping. I picked up a 2012 Finest Octafractor on card auto of Cruz a few weeks ago for $28, and he's a champ! An injured one sure, but that's dirt cheap.
Yaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:07 PM   #9 (permalink)

Is anyone interested in this sealed box of 2009 Topps UFC Round 2 I pulled out of the trick or treat promo. I'll sell or trade for less than market value... Let me know thanks!
Sternic25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUCKUS671 View Post
Sad news for a new UFC collector. The fact that they were so cheap was what pulled me to the mma side of collecting. I used to collect basketball back in the day but stopped for about ten years.
I wanted to know what some of the cards from my recent 2012 Finest break were going for, like the Jake Ellenberger auto #/25 and the Alistair 1/1 relic plate........ps, got any Penn, Aldo or Silva auto's that i can buy for dirt cheap! haha j/k
if you are collecting to keep forever for yourself, then it is only going to get better for you, cheaper and cheaper prices, but with prices tanking, there won't be as many people opening any product for collectors to buy.

If you are looking to sell the Ellenberger or the Overeem, wait until afew days before their next fights, and then list on ebay with BIN or BO, dont auction any cards right now. I would say you will get about $25-30 forthe Ellenberger and $15-25 for the Overeem.

I do have a Moment of Truth insert auto of Bj Penn #/25 and a rookie auto of Aldo #/188, I would sell both for $60 shipped(The Bj Penn was selling for around $100 whe it first came out and the Aldo was around $75, 2 years ago).

I just sold some Silva autos on ebay 2 days ago, I have around 20 of Silva's rubies dating back to Rd 2, even though his cards are going down some, nowhere near what other fighters cards are. But someone who has destroyed every one put in front of him, his cards should not be dropping at all.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:16 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Brave13 View Post
I'm just starting out collecting UFC and other non major sport cards. Why not use Beckett?I hear a lot of rips and gripes on Beckett and none actually are based on anything other than opinion or personal bias. I'm just wanting to get some feedback from this side of the house.
Because beckett will say a certain card is worth $100, but it may only sell for $20, I could tell you a brand new toyota camry is worth $100k, but if everyone is selling them for $20k, then it is only worth $20k.

Beckett is an absolute joke, the only thing they have going for them is BGS, but grading has not taken off in the MMA card market yet.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:21 PM   #12 (permalink)

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaga View Post
MMA cards are tanking right now. It's crazy! And Topps keeps the flood coming. Bloodlines out next month, and Knockout out in early 2013. With those two, you can expect a ton more relics, autos, and mainly STICKER AUTOS to come... and with every new release, the singles market drops lower and lower.

I'm glad that I can get some nice cards of my favorite fighters at a good price and all... I just don't enjoy watching my collection keep decreasing in value every month. Topps needs to slow down... and they need to make a low end product again, that doesn't have a ton of relics and autos in every box.

I used to crack boxes of stuff like Finest, because it was a blast. 2 relics, 2 mats, and 2 autos. Now, those relics can barely even sell for a buck each, and the mats are almost the same. And the autos sell for what, a couple of bucks each? Unless you hit a gold or octa, and even those are continually dropping. I picked up a 2012 Finest Octafractor on card auto of Cruz a few weeks ago for $28, and he's a champ! An injured one sure, but that's dirt cheap.
Yeah Cruz' cards always sell cheap, I don't get it, he has been so dominant, probably because everyone knows he will lose to Barao.

and the problem with the UFC is there is only 1 or maybe 2 rookie fighters cards per set, and everyone goes after them.(This is why you see Rory Macdonalds card going for crazy prices), until they lose, and then every one tries to dump those same cards at the same time.

There is too many fairweather fans with the UFC, most of the collector market only watches UFC or possibly SF, so when someone is on a hot streak everyone wants their cards, but when they lose, the "fans" move onto someone else.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:26 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sternic25 View Post
Is anyone interested in this sealed box of 2009 Topps UFC Round 2 I pulled out of the trick or treat promo. I'll sell or trade for less than market value... Let me know thanks!

I will buy it, even though I complain, I can't help opening boxes, how much are you looking to get, I woul need it shipped out priority by tomorrow so I can open it with my nephew this weekend. Please pm me

Ruckus: if you are looking for some boxes with some value, try RD 2 Jon Jones rookie card is in this set, his 1/1 has not been pulled yet, it will sell for around $5k when found. it is a long shotbut you never know. also his red auto #/25 sells for over $2k, there isnt many of them left out there but there is at least 1 or 2 left.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:32 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
if you are collecting to keep forever for yourself, then it is only going to get better for you, cheaper and cheaper prices, but with prices tanking, there won't be as many people opening any product for collectors to buy.

If you are looking to sell the Ellenberger or the Overeem, wait until afew days before their next fights, and then list on ebay with BIN or BO, dont auction any cards right now. I would say you will get about $25-30 forthe Ellenberger and $15-25 for the Overeem.

I do have a Moment of Truth insert auto of Bj Penn #/25 and a rookie auto of Aldo #/188, I would sell both for $60 shipped(The Bj Penn was selling for around $100 whe it first came out and the Aldo was around $75, 2 years ago).

I just sold some Silva autos on ebay 2 days ago, I have around 20 of Silva's rubies dating back to Rd 2, even though his cards are going down some, nowhere near what other fighters cards are. But someone who has destroyed every one put in front of him, his cards should not be dropping at all.

Thanks for the values.......dang, that Penn/Aldo deal is tempting...hmmmm
Old 10-23-2012, 04:17 PM   #15 (permalink)

Ruckus, sorry the Penn just sold, on ebay, go figure I have had it listed for close to 6 months, on there, and I mention it on here, and someone just bought, I would sell the Aldo for $25 though, if you are looking for more "lower end " mat relics like you posted in your other thread, I have a ton just sitting around here, I would sell them for pennies on the dollar if you want them. I still have stuff from rd 2, that I opened in 2009, that I still haven't listed on ebay. I usually only list the bigger hits, I know most people are after the autos, but I personally love the mat relics, you cant beat a card that actaully has part of the mat from one of your favorite fights.

Have you seen the jumbo WEC mats(they are around 6"x 9") from Titleshot, they are awesome, I buy a few boxes every few months, everytime my nephew wins a tournament(he is a 11, and a BJJ brown belt) We have pulled 4 or 5 so far and I get them framed and he has them hanging in his room. They are my favorite cards to date, I just wish they would do that with some of the UFC mats.

ps I love your screenname, my current Rottweiler as well as the one before it that passed away, are both named Ruckus.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:30 PM   #16 (permalink)

I hear ya on the prices...picked up some nice KenFlo pieces (Auto Relics #/25 and an Auto Printing Plate #1/1) and can't even get someone to bite on them on eBay for below $20 on the Auto Relics and below $50 on the #1/1...

I remember when KenFlo stuff sold great...now that's been in the commentary "booth" for a year or two, there's no interest in his stuff...same, he was such a great fighter to watch.
cardtrader22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:33 PM   #17 (permalink)

also I will give you one of my secrets of still making money on MMA cards, even if you now become competiton look for debut cards especially the ones #/88, if you look at my ebay you will see the Weidman's and others I have for sale from last years finest, I have already so 3 of the Weidman's for almost $50, I paid less than $3 for each one I own

You have to do know who will become a contender but if you follow the sport enough, it is easy, buy them up when they first come out, when every one is buying the latest autos, and wait until they get even hotter, and then sell for a profit.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:10 PM   #18 (permalink)

Yeah, i wish i would've held that Gold Finest Auto of Weidman now. You just never know though. I would not use Beckett as any kind of a guide cards that beckett put a book value of $300 on might only sell for $75-100 on ebay. To me ebay is the only true way to gauge a value it's what somebodies gonna pay for it. I'm also on many diff. sites to trade, buy and sell on as well so that helps alot. A card is only worth what somebodies willing to pay. I may say my cards worth $100 but, if i'm only offered $50 then doesn't really matter what i say it's worth.

My Bucket
http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a193/SAbbott/
UFC Rulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:16 PM   #19 (permalink)

Thanks for all the replies guys, seriously. I've learned a lot in the last few days.....hey check out my 2 box break from this morning!
2 box break of 2010 UFC series 4
Old 10-24-2012, 12:27 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardtrader22 View Post
I hear ya on the prices...picked up some nice KenFlo pieces (Auto Relics #/25 and an Auto Printing Plate #1/1) and can't even get someone to bite on them on eBay for below $20 on the Auto Relics and below $50 on the #1/1...

I remember when KenFlo stuff sold great...now that's been in the commentary "booth" for a year or two, there's no interest in his stuff...same, he was such a great fighter to watch.
Yeah it is sad to see and Kenflo, while he couldn't ever win the title, he was always exciting to watch fight. He is in my top ten fav. fighters. But most of the MMA collectors only want the up and comers or the guys who are unbeaten. I wonder what would happen to Jones' cards if he ends up losing to Sonnen