Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > MMA - Mixed Martial Arts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2009, 11:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Default Dana White and Rich Franklin Talk About UFC Trading Cards

Dana White and Rich Franklin Talk About UFC Trading Cards

With the release of Topps UFC Round 2 on September 21st, Beckett Media caught up with Dana White and Rich Franklin regarding the shocking success of the UFC trading cards. Not only did the limited test release of Topps Round 1 become a huge success, but it’s also just the tip of the iceberg for a UFC hobby market. Fans have responded to the cards by throwing money around during a recession, just to get limited autographs and fight used cards for their collection. Dana White responded to the success of the UFC hobby market with awe, during a UFC 103 press conference.

“Obviously, when you start a business, especially the business that we started that had such a negative [reputation], and now it’s being [featured] on trading cards, video games, action figures, on the cover of Sports Illustrated – all the great things that have happened over the last 10 years are very surreal,”

Rich Franklin is another notable name for the UFC that’s always been a media spokesman for the company. One of the most popular fighters in the UFC, being a man many fans can relate to, also shared his amazement of where the UFC has branched out to over the years. Not only does Franklin have multiple trading cards featuring his autograph and fight-used, but he also has an incredibly detailed, collectible figure from Round 5 MMA. Rich still gets a little shell shocked when he sees the collectibles of his likeness, especially when he was brought in as a special autograph guest at the 30th National Sports Collectors Convention in Cleveland, OH.

“I didn’t expect any of this; Most people know that I just went to college to be a teacher and fortunately I’ve had this opportunity in life,” Franklin said. “Two of the things that were kind of mind-blowing for me were the trading cards, and seeing my action figure. That was just kind of surreal for me. I’ve got like 10 of them sitting on my mantle at home.”

It’s safe to say that the hobby market for the UFC is here to stay, with more incredible products coming down the pipeline. Topps’ UFC Round 2 is expected to be even more popular than the first release, with autographs of Brock Lesnar, Lyoto Machida, Rashad Evans, Kimbo Slice, and more fan favorites. Keep an eye on the hobby market and use this fun new outlet to get closer to the great sport of MMA.
blowoutcards is offline   Reply With Quote