Blowout Cards Forums
Metro Sports Cards

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > MMA - Mixed Martial Arts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2013, 01:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default wow...I never knew till I saw Nightline last night

5 year old MMA fighters!!!!!

Sorry, as a parent and human being, I was a little shocked at this...I have no problem with grown men and women doing it, heck as long as your an adult, thats fine, but to see the show last night and how kids as young as 5 are in MMA tournaments made me think how could you sit there as a parent and watch your kid get their butt kicked...

i know one mom on there was like, we tried soccer, but this is what he enjoys...or the 6 year old girl who traing 4-5 times a week for 2-3 hrs each time.

Boys fighting girls...sheesh...I know they said its not full contact, blows to the head are illegal, but in the clip, one kid got kicked inadvertantly to the head, and the ref gave the kid a point, while he went to the corner crying...

Maybe I'm old fashioned or a stick in the mud, but that's just plain wrong...
Dacubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 03:44 AM   #2 (permalink)

but do you have any problem with young kids at that age doing karate or jiu jitsu??? Pop warner tackle football?
duwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:11 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by duwal View Post
but do you have any problem with young kids at that age doing karate or jiu jitsu??? Pop warner tackle football?
Nope, football, because they aren't trying to hurt each other (and they have protective gear)

Karate and jiu jitsu, at that age most of the times its forms and technique, as they get older than 5, they do have tournaments were they compete, but again, they have head gear and when they hit someone, its a point and they reset, its not a constant pummeling
Old 06-22-2013, 01:34 AM   #4 (permalink)

My son has been training since 9. It's what he loves to do and he's very good. He's 11 now. There are kids as young as 4 training at his old academy.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:47 AM   #5 (permalink)

My nephew is 12 and a Black belt in Jiu Jitsu. he has regular tournaments, he has gone against kids from Lloyd Irvin, Kurt Pellgrino, and Matt Serra's schools. When he was younger they limited the chokes and locks they could use. He now fights in the expert divison, and they can do any move they want. He got gold in his last NAGA tournament, with a flying leg lock(Ryo Chonan vs Silva style). They have a cage and do MMA at JJ school, but they wear headgear, and don't go 100%.
twoten01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoten01 View Post
My nephew is 12 and a Black belt in Jiu Jitsu. he has regular tournaments, he has gone against kids from Lloyd Irvin, Kurt Pellgrino, and Matt Serra's schools. When he was younger they limited the chokes and locks they could use. He now fights in the expert divison, and they can do any move they want. He got gold in his last NAGA tournament, with a flying leg lock(Ryo Chonan vs Silva style). They have a cage and do MMA at JJ school, but they wear headgear, and don't go 100%.

You cant be a black belt and 12 years old thats impossible and completely illegal. you have to be 18 to acquire a black belt, kids under 16 have a completely different belt system i think a 12 year old can only max out at a green or orange belt
krowsnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

Not true at all. While it would not be recognized by most Brazilian JJ schools. He has been a black belt since February. He still has to earn his "adult" black belt. His now is considered to be a "junior" black belt. But he knows a ton of submissions. My niece is 7 and she is a red belt.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

I used to fight amateur and my 4 y/o son is already into Muay Thai every Saturday morning.
Most important thing to me is he knows how to defend himself.
We also spar at home 1 night a week for about 20 minutes.

I see no problem with training but admittedly I wouldnt stick my kid into organized fights or smokers.

As an adult, if thats the path he wishes to choose, so be it but I also have him into baseball and golf just so he knows he has options.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JzWand View Post
I used to fight amateur and my 4 y/o son is already into Muay Thai every Saturday morning.
Most important thing to me is he knows how to defend himself.
We also spar at home 1 night a week for about 20 minutes.

I see no problem with training but admittedly I wouldnt stick my kid into organized fights or smokers.

As an adult, if thats the path he wishes to choose, so be it but I also have him into baseball and golf just so he knows he has options.
now this I agree with....
Old 06-23-2013, 06:50 PM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to seanho2309

Quote:
Not true at all. While it would not be recognized by most Brazilian JJ schools. He has been a black belt since February. He still has to earn his "adult" black belt. His now is considered to be a "junior" black belt. But he knows a ton of submissions. My niece is 7 and she is a red belt.

Not 1 single legit BJJ School would recognize his "Junior Black Belt" because in BJJ there is no such thing. If he went to compete at a IBJJF event he would be laughed at. You can't even get your Blue Belt until you are 16. Just to be sure I wasn't crazy I asked my coach today at open mat and he confirmed. And my coach isn't a slouch...you can watch him compete at the NoGi Super Fight 4 Man Tourney at the Fan Expo in 2 weeks.

AIM: AFSEAN72
seanho2309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:14 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by krowsnest View Post
You cant be a black belt and 12 years old thats impossible and completely illegal. you have to be 18 to acquire a black belt, kids under 16 have a completely different belt system i think a 12 year old can only max out at a green or orange belt
Its crazy, but NOT ILLEGAL..lol

In america, you can make up your own martial arts. shiiit there are MASTER NINJA's that never even been in japan. There are Masters of every art that never even been to that arts country...

ONLY IN THE USA...lol

h4auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:32 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
My nephew is 12 and a Black belt in Jiu Jitsu. He now fights in the expert divison, and they can do any move they want. He got gold in his last NAGA tournament, with a flying leg lock
Assuming that he is competing in the GI, there are NO leglocks allowed for children/teens divisions at NAGA tournaments (and NAGA has the most lenient rules.) If it's no-gi, then only straight foot-locks are allowed.

wow...I never knew till I saw Nightline last night-ibjjf.jpg

As "seanho" mentioned, you cannot obtain a blue belt until 16 years old. Also, not only are there under 20 red belts in the world, but you cannot achieve a red belt until you are at least 67 years old. Not trying to bash anyone, just wanted to share some information. To put it in another perspective, you must have your BLACK BELT for 48 years before you can achieve red belt. Talk about dedication haha.

List of BJJ practitioners - Wikipedia

As for the OP...wrestling, bjj, mma, etc. are no more dangerous than cheerleading and tackle football (especially the kickoff!) I wouldn't encourage my child to become a fighter, however, the humility and ego check you get from years of wrestling/BJJ/etc is almost impossible to experience elsewhere.

Last edited by YakuzaShoeii; 06-24-2013 at 05:36 AM.
YakuzaShoeii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:22 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakuzaShoeii View Post
As for the OP...wrestling, bjj, mma, etc. are no more dangerous than cheerleading and tackle football (especially the kickoff!) I wouldn't encourage my child to become a fighter, however, the humility and ego check you get from years of wrestling/BJJ/etc is almost impossible to experience elsewhere.
Very informative chart....

I don't know...something about kicks, submissions and purposely hurting someone seems a little more dangerous than cheerleading or football...at least in football, you have pads and a helmet
Old 06-24-2013, 10:21 AM   #14 (permalink)

BODA, once again you guys cannot read. Not once did I say my nephew or niece do BJJ. They take Jiu Jitsu. A lot different than Helio's teachings, with a different belt system as well. And while NAGA tournaments to not officially allow certain subs. They are extremely lenient and allow kids in the expert divisions, a little more leeway. Kip and Kirik run great tournaments. But depnding on which tournament you go to the refs vary greatly. We were at one in Florida where the ref called the fight when my nephew was put into a kimura. Which was not even hurting him. (Just for the fact they don't want little kids getting hurt
But in NJ they were a lot more lax on rules. Ny nephew has been sumbitted by knee bar, in Jersey., where in FL, the refs would never allow that.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:08 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacubs View Post
...I know they said its not full contact, blows to the head are illegal, but in the clip, one kid got kicked inadvertantly to the head, and the ref gave the kid a point, while he went to the corner crying...

Maybe I'm old fashioned or a stick in the mud, but that's just plain wrong...
No big deal then if there are no blows to the head.. No worse than football.
My sons 9&11 go to MMA 3xs a week.. their program is a combo of jiu jitsu, muay thai, and judo. Which is great because it covers all aspects muay thai=punching/kicking... judo=takedowns/throws.... jiu jitsu=once on the ground.. sparring is once a week with shin,foot pads/headgear/mma gloves... I woudnt put them in a true"mma" fight tourny.. but they will most likely compete in judo comps... we have 2 national champs at our school 8 and 9 yrs old.......
Old 07-26-2013, 03:23 AM   #16 (permalink)

Honestly, as a parent of a 5 and 8 year old, and a former TKD instructor myself, I don't see the problem. Tournaments have rules for safety, sure it's dangerous, but all sports are in a way. I still think hockey is more brutal than MMA. lol. My 5 year old daughter is actually asking to start training.. As soon as I can afford it again, I will put my kids through something. I can see why one wouldn't want this, but for me, I think it's fine. You'd be surprised at how many jiu jitsu kids there are now all over around here..

Also looking for Michelle Wie "Award Winners" auto
rb808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:06 AM   #17 (permalink)

I don't have a problem having kids go to jiu jitsu, karate, or any contact sport to practice, but I do have a problem them competing because they are not mentally ready for that. I wouldn't even consider serious competition until they are 12 or older.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:32 PM   #18 (permalink)

Not to mention its a great way to build self esteem at a young age. And if they know when and when not to use it on people who is anyone to judge what your kid enjoys doing, unless of course its a parent forcing them then its a whole different discussion
jerryw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:11 PM   #19 (permalink)

My sons just had their 1st tourney, heres a clip of my 11 yr old (in black). Other kid throws a kick, and my son catches it and gets a sweet takedown. my 11 yr old won 2ndpl in his division, and my 9 yr old took 3rd(he beat the kid who won 2nd pl, but total points in all fights is what determined)

takedown - YouTube
Old 10-21-2013, 12:03 PM   #20 (permalink)

I think it should be a progression in the physical form and sport of Martial Arts. MMA is Mixed Martial Arts, not Manhandle, Mutilate and Assault as many feel it's become.

Martial Arts is a discipline that's accompanied with a philosophical training that's more spiritual. It should be less about what's seen on the highlight reels on TV or the whole belt system (a lot of schools give out belts that are worth about the value of holding up your pants and have not clout)

The kids should be training for technique and form. It should be more about stances, sets and sequences in the beginning. Build endurance and natural flow.

Get rid of the whole "tapout" (I Quit) mentality on both ends, to be defeated or to ultimately defeat. It does ingrain that bullying mentality for some children, so with those specific kids, teachers and parents need to keep them in check. Each child/kid is mature at different levels, so it's no a blanket statement more than one of individual customization of what's right for the situation.

Reduce the aggression and increase the defensive aspects.

You need to have the basic foundation developed both physically and mentally.

Then, they will be prepared for competition in the future. There should be a minimum age before they compete in full contact, just like how there's a minimum age to drive. It's a combination of maturity and ability, both physical and mental. There's way too many kids who see it almost as the new WWF/WWE and without proper training and education either they'll hurt themselves or worst yet, hurt others.
Stat Monsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:13 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacubs View Post
5 year old MMA fighters... Maybe I'm old fashioned or a stick in the mud, but that's just plain wrong...
old fashioned or not, you're right.... it's wrong.

Quote:
Not true at all. While it would not be recognized by most Brazilian JJ schools. He has been a black belt since February.
i don't want to pile on here, but.... while i think everyone believes you that your nephew has a black belt, the issue is it's not an actual BJJ black belt. the school or instructor that's passing out BJJ black belts to kids may want to rethink that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JzWand View Post
exactly. there are lots of great kids classes. nothing wrong with kids training martial arts.
ejs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:09 PM   #22 (permalink)
Banned

How to find a good BJJ school or any martial arts school? Look at what the students do or are doing academically at that particular school. 99.99999999999% of the kids will not become professional fighters so it doe not matter if the instructor is ok. It is better to have a kid go to a crappy bjj school but learn and be around kids and parents that all excel in the real world and see what it takes to succeed in school and business rather then have a kid to to the best bjj school with champions that do not excel in school or society. There is a great bjj fighter that runs a school locally, he only focuses on being the aggressor in confrontations and how to un-arm law enforcement officers. then there is a bjj school with white color ass-smucks instructors certified by gracies that couldnt or never fought a real fight in there lives but kissed up to the gracies and got blacks. but they are successful outside of the fight world and have students that excel in school and attend some ivy league schools.

Its better to have a smart kid then a tough kid.

and yes, i was a real tough kid and not proud of it. i would rather be saying that i went to harvard,mit or cal-berkley med instead of talking about how i kick ass when i was young. big deal.

the grass is always greener on the other side. i rather be a goof that got beaten up everyday and a ivy league graduate then the bull of the school and still talking about war stories at parties.
godzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:32 PM   #23 (permalink)

Having a daughter who trained Kempo Ju-Jitsu for 6 years (age 7-13, she is now 18), and did her first MMA style fight at age 8, I never once felt she was ever in any type of danger. The rules were straight-forward and the referee made sure the kids were always safe. She only did these fights once or twice a year, they were usually undercards for adult fights. As far as boys fighting girls, this happened on a regular basis. They aren't many girls that fight, and that was part of the reason she got out of it. After they hit the age of 11 or so, the difference between boys and girls is greater to overcome being a girl.
thebear29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:36 PM   #24 (permalink)

I believe kids should take different martial art disciplines before any "MMA" competition. Allowing them to grow mentally, physically and spriritually at a comfortable pace is most important. I'm not against children competing in a child friendly tournament designed specifically for them with rules to protect them from great bodily harm. I am against teaching children chokes, joint locks and a no mercy attitude then throwing them into a cage at some local dive bar for drunk people to watch.
Archangel1775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:20 AM   #25 (permalink)

yeah start them off young . i grew up in the martial arts bump (80's), i think there where more horrible schools back then than now . but hell i started at 6 im 35 now and lemme tell you the info on the bbj belts is correct as a base some schools have there own system there are always exceptions . but i have to say if i could take it back i probally would you know with the 28 broken fingers,3 poped knees,numerous broken toes,a fractured back (2 surgeries), and my last injury from a local tourny ahem severed big toe tendon. so hopefully said parents have good insurance because out of all the sports ive played at pretty high levels ,bjj and mma have injured me a lot more .
N3XTLVL is online now   Reply With Quote