Blowout Cards Forums
Re-Pack Attack

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > MMA - Mixed Martial Arts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2013, 01:10 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Could the UFC consistently do a show every week?

Does anyone think the UFC has the resources to be able to do weekly programming with no breaks?

One idea I think could work is in weeks that they don't have a bigger show around the country or international they could have a show in vegas, it would be a smaller venue like the The Pearl at the Palms.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:30 AM   #2 (permalink)

I hope not. Too much already. More shows = deluded cards.
Ty Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:41 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Hope View Post
I hope not. Too much already. More shows = deluded cards.

not necessarily, the talent is getting better and better there would be a lot of great fights...the problem would be you could only realistically have one title fight a month 2 if your lucky, with medical suspensions and stuff it just wouldn't make much financial sense. they could have an up and comers type deal like strikeforce challengers but that might delute the ultimate fighter show....I think its best to stick with what they are doing
jerryw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:02 AM   #4 (permalink)

I think the UFC needs to relax their rules, regarding firing fighters after a few losses. By them doing this, it has creating the current crop of fighters who would make better actors on a Snuggie commercial(Ie every wrestler in the UFC, besides Hendricks). This is why Pride was so great. The Japanese couldn't care less if you won or lost, but if you are a warrior in the cage(Like Joe Lauzon), you would always have a job, and fans cheering for you.

If fighters weren't scared that they may be out of a job, we would see alot more exciting fights, and bring in more viewers.

i think one card a month in perfect(obviously I would like their to be fights every night, but not going to happen), maybe 2 with one on FS1, and one PPV.
twoten01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:31 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoten01 View Post
I think the UFC needs to relax their rules, regarding firing fighters after a few losses. By them doing this, it has creating the current crop of fighters who would make better actors on a Snuggie commercial(Ie every wrestler in the UFC, besides Hendricks). This is why Pride was so great. The Japanese couldn't care less if you won or lost, but if you are a warrior in the cage(Like Joe Lauzon), you would always have a job, and fans cheering for you.

If fighters weren't scared that they may be out of a job, we would see alot more exciting fights, and bring in more viewers.

i think one card a month in perfect(obviously I would like their to be fights every night, but not going to happen), maybe 2 with one on FS1, and one PPV.

Dana gives guys that go out and bang and lose lots of chances. But if your losing 4-5 in a row it might be time to go to another promotion and earn your way back. Dana is doing it right. I for one hope it keeps with the current way. Just enough right now.

Hell there was 2 shows last week and one tonight.

Always buying Highend Items: PhotoBucket:
http://s1176.beta.photobucket.com/user/PACARDS/library/
Prospectorsadvantage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:33 AM   #6 (permalink)

Antonio Carvalho got screwed by the UFC. A guy who always brought everything he had, and got fired for being 2-2... Terrible.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

They need to get events televised on ESPN, it would help get publicity better than Fox sports 1
ConRyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:22 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConRyl View Post
They need to get events televised on ESPN, it would help get publicity better than Fox sports 1
Lol not going to happen. ESPN and Dana have not gotten along well.

Always buying Highend Items: PhotoBucket:
http://s1176.beta.photobucket.com/user/PACARDS/library/
Prospectorsadvantage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:24 AM   #9 (permalink)

No, they can't. There's not enough talent to be doing big fights, or at least fights that people outside of the hardcore fan base want to see every week.
wakigatame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:49 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConRyl View Post
Quote:
Lol not going to happen. ESPN and Dana have not gotten along well.
ESPN only shows real sports, like poker... I think it's great to get the UFC in on the ground floor with Fox Sports 1.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:59 PM   #11 (permalink)

Didn't the WWF have 3 major televised shows a week before at their peak?
Stat Monsters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:17 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat Monsters View Post
Didn't the WWF have 3 major televised shows a week before at their peak?
Soap operas have 5 shows a week. However, the UFC fights aren't scripted...

I am a network admin. If you see me laughing, pray you have a recent backup.
Deathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:08 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoten01 View Post
This is why Pride was so great. The Japanese couldn't care less if you won or lost, but if you are a warrior in the cage(Like Joe Lauzon), you would always have a job, and fans cheering for you.
Amen to that. UFC has done plenty of good things for the sport of MMA.... but acquiring Pride wasn't one of them.

the UFC is already too homogenous. as it is we see the same guys fighting every couple months. not sure they could pull that off weekly.

they could, however, show some smaller promotion's fights. pick a few promotions and follow them... let some of those fighters eventually get a crack out at a UFC under-card or a chance to get into the TUF house.
ejs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
k13

Sure but their shows that are every 3 months already suck.
k13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:37 PM   #15 (permalink)

We will never see the "Pride" days again. Such a shame. I went to just about every Pride show here in Japan and every show just felt special. They really knew how to hype a show and build a fighter. The UFC just pumps out show after show after show... The magic is gone.

I am an MMA fan, but would much rather go to a Shooto or Deep show these days.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:16 AM   #16 (permalink)

Diluting the quality in the name of exploitation isn't a good thing, they already have too many events.

If they want to emulate sports arena event marketing like the Super Bowl, Wrestlemania (the early years before they branched out with "Royal Rumble", "Survivor Series", etc. creating more than 1 event a year and just changing the name), and those legendary boxing matches like Hagler VS Hearns; Tyson VS Holyfield; Ali VS Fraizer, etc., they have to do more build ups like they did with the Tate VS Rousey match which I think felt like the year's most highly anticipated match up.
Stat Monsters is online now   Reply With Quote